Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanEB View Post
    Thanks for the guide... don't know if it's important, but when emailing the keys from "ShowProperties", there's 2 sets: General Tokens & Comms Board Swap - I emailed both to be on the safe side...
    Clarification added.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Let's hope the year at the top of the guide should not read 2012
    Save this. It may become a sticky one day.
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    I don't know about all you, but I LOVE this community and the webOS Internals work!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Ziplock likes this.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Presmurf View Post
    Save this. It may become a sticky one day.
    It already is a sticky.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    In regards to the "alternatives to a HP profile" - maybe someone should consider writing a guide or table that provides the pros and cons of each? I could help with the gmail one as that's what I use (since it will collect and reply on behalf of multiple email services)?

Otherwise I can see a lot of users wandering around in the dark asking for help.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/11/2011 at 10:23 AM.
    I hope that year 2013 doesn't turn into Q4 2011 Thanks for having our backs, Rod!
    I would suggest adding a section about having at least 1 backup battery.. Just my 2 cents. Batteries dont last forever and in a post webOS world they will stop being made..
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I would suggest adding a section about having at least 1 backup battery.. Just my 2 cents. Batteries dont last forever and in a post webOS world they will stop being made..
    Done, thanks.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    In regards to the "alternatives to a HP profile" - maybe someone should consider writing a guide or table that provides the pros and cons of each? I could help with the gmail one as that's what I use (since it will collect and reply on behalf of multiple email services)?

Otherwise I can see a lot of users wandering around in the dark asking for help.
    Points that could be interesting in such a table:

* What can the Sync/Profile-Service sync? (What is synced now with HP-Profiles)
    ** Contacts
    ** Calendar
    ** Memos/Notes (perhaps not of stock webos apps)
    ** To-do List (perhaps not of stock webos apps)
    ** Browser Bookmarks
    ** WiFi-Profiles
    ** VPN-Profiles
    ** Call-Log
    ** Mediafiles

* Syncs to cloud?
    ** data is possibly more open to be hacked or stolen (beware if you now have important things in the notes of your contacts)
    ** if webservice-connectors change, only community could help with patches as webos won't get an update
    ** cloud provider could lose data, possibility of offline export (vcf, ical) should be used
    ** cloud provider could close service (buyout...), possibility of offline export (vcf, ical) should be used
    ** perhaps a cloud service with availability of desktop-app sync could be good

* Syncs to PC-desktop software?
    ** data is only in personal possession
    ** possible costs for app at start (should perhaps be bought before appcat goes down)
    ** vendor has to provide updates only for syncapp when desktop-OS or desktop-apps changes (Windows 8 and Outlook 2014...) - perhaps install a special Sync-VM (WinXp Outlook 2010)
    ** private backups of desktops-apps data should be done on regular basis
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    But how to change the battery??
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by opiswahn View Post
    But how to change the battery??
    On all webOS devices other than the TouchPad it's straight-forward (your warranty will be well and truly expired by that time).

For the TouchPad, it's not easy at all.

-- Rod
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Points that could be interesting in such a table:

* What can the Sync/Profile-Service sync? (What is synced now with HP-Profiles)
    ** Contacts
    ** Calendar
    ** Memos/Notes (perhaps not of stock webos apps)
    ** To-do List (perhaps not of stock webos apps)
    ** Browser Bookmarks
    ** WiFi-Profiles
    ** VPN-Profiles
    ** Call-Log
    ** Mediafiles

* Syncs to cloud?
    ** data is possibly more open to be hacked or stolen (beware if you now have important things in the notes of your contacts)
    ** if webservice-connectors change, only community could help with patches as webos won't get an update
    ** cloud provider could lose data, possibility of offline export (vcf, ical) should be used
    ** cloud provider could close service (buyout...), possibility of offline export (vcf, ical) should be used
    ** perhaps a cloud service with availability of desktop-app sync could be good

* Syncs to PC-desktop software?
    ** data is only in personal possession
    ** possible costs for app at start (should perhaps be bought before appcat goes down)
    ** vendor has to provide updates only for syncapp when desktop-OS or desktop-apps changes (Windows 8 and Outlook 2014...) - perhaps install a special Sync-VM (WinXp Outlook 2010)
    ** private backups of desktops-apps data should be done on regular basis
    Please put that in a separate wiki page (because it's useful information well before a survival scenario), and then just link to it from the survival kit page.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    On all webOS devices other than the TouchPad it's straight-forward (your warranty will be well and truly expired by that time).

For the TouchPad, it's not easy at all.

-- Rod
    Found a guide. Installing HP TouchPad Battery - iFixit but it looks pretty hardcore...
    Well, let's hope the battery lasts for the next 2 years But i can't find a place to buy a battery, not even on ebay. Has someone a source?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    The WOSQI homebrew guide referenced i the emergency kit seems to have disappeared from the app store.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    The WOSQI homebrew guide referenced i the emergency kit seems to have disappeared from the app store.
    You may want to double check that, it and the Preware Homebrew Documentation app http://bit.ly/phd-ac are both definitely still available in the app store for all devices and webOS versions.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    "The data in your HP webOS Account (formerly Palm Profile) will not be available to you in a post-webOS world.
    Move it all to somewhere else now."

I, and I'm sure others, have no idea what data to move, how to move it, or where to move it to. Has anyone provided more explication on this step?
    Well with all the delays on HP's part, think its time to crack open the webOS survival guide. Gotta go in and change all my Palm Profile contacts over to Gmail/Google for conversion before the $h!t hits the fan.

Thanks again Homebrew! WTG!

"Homebrew - saving webOS' @s$ one patch as a time"

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kzanol View Post
    "The data in your HP webOS Account (formerly Palm Profile) will not be available to you in a post-webOS world.
    Move it all to somewhere else now."

I, and I'm sure others, have no idea what data to move, how to move it, or where to move it to. Has anyone provided more explication on this step?
    Move your contacts, calendar, tasks, etc to a third-party Synergy supplier like Google.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    [I]The year is 2013. It's a post-webOS world.

HP has sold off the webOS group, and the buyer has stripped it for the patents, and shut down all the infrastructure needed to support webOS devices.

But Rod...you've left us all hanging in your prescient posting...WHO is the 'BUYER'? We're counting on your prognosticatory abilities here!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast