webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Theme Manager
Theme Manager
Like Tree46Likes

Old 10/10/2011, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

This application has not yet been released into public feed. Alpha/Beta releases are already out. The application manages themes, i.e. you can change the theme of your device. Theme can be made one or you can pick certain components from different themes.

Future features:

- Extend the theme preview functionality to have full theme preview, i.e. tap to launcher icon would show launcher theme with themed application icons, tap to just type would show how just type is themed, etc.

- Add list / grid view options in addition to the current "flip" view.

- Add simple theme editing options.

Screenshot of the current development version:

For more information see the wiki and if you like this app then please donate.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.

Last edited by sconix; 10/20/2011 at 12:32 PM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101, bedhan, TeckieGirl40 and 17 others like this.
Old 10/10/2011, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was waiting for this one! Thanks a lot!!

Btw, will there be some "theme catalog" ? Or should we put themes in some folder or the like ?
Old 10/10/2011, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
I was waiting for this one! Thanks a lot!!

Btw, will there be some "theme catalog" ? Or should we put themes in some folder or the like ?
Well I would like to have some kind of RSS feed support or something a like for browsing online themes, but at the beginning you can install themes via ipk's and soon after via the app as well from zip files. But the themes will be located in /media/internal/.themes so you can access/install/modify them on USB mode as well.

The packaging does not matter that much as long as its in the supported format the app can use the theme. The components will be automatically parsed from the theme. And the applying of the theme is done by the app, the theme is installed using AUPT technology so the theme will be OTA safe and can be removed with EPR.

Also Jason's theme builder will be updated to support the package format that this app uses.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Liked by fred1955 likes this.
Thanked By: fred1955
Old 10/10/2011, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rss could be nice

So we'll be able to put themes folders with contents in /media/internal/.themes and the app we allow us to select the one we want ?

Seems ok at first, but I do hope that themes creators will release manager's friendly themes !

Thanks for the infos btw
Old 10/10/2011, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
Rss could be nice

So we'll be able to put themes folders with contents in /media/internal/.themes and the app we allow us to select the one we want ?

Seems ok at first, but I do hope that themes creators will release manager's friendly themes !

Thanks for the infos btw
Yes the theme folders can be copied to that folder, no matter what the installation method is (copying, unzipping the package there, or installing ipk that adds themes into that folder). The app will scan it an present you the available themes from which you can select the theme to use, or components from multiple themes. I.e. take the icons from theme A and rest of theme B.

Well since there isn't a working theme format at the moment (i.e. working in the sense that they would be OTA/EPR safe) its very likely that theme makers will pick on this. If not, well theme converters can be always written

And you are welcomed, happy to answer and feedback etc. is always appreciated as are donations .
Liked by HelloNNNewman, sledge007 and fred1955 like this.
Old 10/10/2011, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm definitely looking forward to checking this out. I started trying to build my own theme but haven't had time to work on it lately. I wish there was an easier way to build Touchpad themes, but maybe this app will spark some more theme creation.
fuser-invent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuser-Invent View Post
I'm definitely looking forward to checking this out. I started trying to build my own theme but haven't had time to work on it lately. I wish there was an easier way to build Touchpad themes, but maybe this app will spark some more theme creation.
Well this app should make it lot easier. At least the theme format is easy and all you need is to edit a text json file and package it with zip and you are good to go. Just finished the service side that parses the themes, the only part that needs to be added is the actual theme installing. So should not be that many days before this is alpha ready
Old 10/10/2011, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Looks very cool, nice idea.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

nice. I'm ready to make themes for the touchpad. It is to hard to make themes anymore.
When this is released, will Jason's theme builder be released at the same time ?
Will we be able to install themes without removing the theme that is install or do we need to remove any theme installed before applying a new theme ?
Patches Animated Back Grounds Devicemenu MaxedOut Animated Music Player Sound Bar
My home page
warlord9159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord9159 View Post
nice. I'm ready to make themes for the touchpad. It is to hard to make themes anymore.
When this is released, will Jason's theme builder be released at the same time ?
Will we be able to install themes without removing the theme that is install or do we need to remove any theme installed before applying a new theme ?
I don't know about Jason's timetable, but at least it will be ready when this goes to public feed.

Not sure what you mean, but you can install themes and browse them through without applying the themes (later versions will have support for showing themes from RSS feeds as well so you don't need to install them), there is dynamic preview of the selected theme (very basic, at the moment but will extend it in the future to show as much of the theme as possible so you can see how the theme looks like before you apply it). When you apply a theme then current theme is "removed" and the new theme "installed". And you have to get rid of your current theme if you have one installed with old theme packaging.

There is an example theme package here, if you want to see. The theme is defined with a simple json file so if you are comfortable in editing a text json file you can make themes even without the theme builder.
Old 10/13/2011, 07:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Just to post this info here as well in case not all are following me on twitter

So I will put this into alpha feed on Monday or Tuesday, there will ~10 supported themes ready by then if not more. The app should make into beta feed rather soon most likely during next week already. Hopefully public release will happen within two weeks as well so we get this thing in wide use. If there are themers that want to make theme manager compatible theme I can help you get started if the example theme package is not enough for you.
Old 10/13/2011, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
I don't know about Jason's timetable, but at least it will be ready when this goes to public feed.
My schedule usually is best on weekends, so I'm hoping to get it ready by this weekend

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

This Theme Manager will "Rock" and be so awesome. I can't wait to see it in the App Catalog for TouchPad.

BTW - If HP was as proficient as our webOS development community, the Pre4, Veer2, TouchPad2, TouchPad GO2, and webOS 5.0 would have been out already. Just sayin'

Peace.
fmarcanojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Daughain
Old 10/13/2011, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
This Theme Manager will "Rock" and be so awesome. I can't wait to see it in the App Catalog for TouchPad.

BTW - If HP was as proficient as our webOS development community, the Pre4, Veer2, TouchPad2, TouchPad GO2, and webOS 5.0 would have been out already. Just sayin'

Peace.
#fact
Old 10/13/2011, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

^^definetaly !!!!! Love this community, and love this theme manager. Its gonna be epic.!!!!!
Old 10/17/2011, 08:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

The alpha release should be soon in the alpha feed. I am hoping to get few themes posted here so you have some themes to test with while we figure out the best way to distribute the themes. Please let me know if any problems.

I have pretty much tested all the basic stuff, but next I need to test that everything works after OTA. The theory is that after OTA all that is needed is to have the theme with support for that webOS version and hit the apply theme button. Also few missing basic features are coming soon like removing installed themes locally.
Old 10/17/2011, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackead View Post
^^definetaly !!!!! Love this community, and love this theme manager. Its gonna be epic.!!!!!
Agreed. That's because webOS is the Best Mobile OS that just needs some love from the right organization.
fmarcanojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 12:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here are some themes from Garrett so you can start play with Theme Manager and see how to make themes of your own. Someday in future Theme Manager might allow even making of themes

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...d-charcoal.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...pad-cherry.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...pad-cobalt.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...pad-forest.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...chpad-plum.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...d-cerulean.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...ad-pumpkin.zip

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21803890/the...pkin-light.zip
Old 10/17/2011, 12:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Please let me know if the app works for you and put it under real test please This way we can get this into beta and public feeds as quick as possible. Will be releasing new versions with phone compatibility during this week.

And please if you like my work then remember to donate, even small donations are appreciated. Even though I am not doing this for money having even one or two donations will grow the motivation even more

EDIT: I am hoping to get the next version with Veer/Pre2/Pre3 support out by this Friday. I am only supporting enyo so you need the updated maps app which install enyo...

Last edited by sconix; 10/17/2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10/17/2011, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

so what do i do make a new folder and drop or unzip the themes in to that folder ??
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: heyguydaq

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0