Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Hello I have gained command access using Xecutah and I have entered the two commands that are listed on the wiki page following the directions as listed but I they dont do anything after I reinstall preware. Infact when I enter the commands they dont trigger any type of installation or script that I would normally see when entering commands. Anyone have some insight on what im doing wrong?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    Hello I have gained command access using Xecutah and I have entered the two commands that are listed on the wiki page following the directions as listed but I they dont do anything after I reinstall preware. Infact when I enter the commands they dont trigger any type of installation or script that I would normally see when entering commands. Anyone have some insight on what im doing wrong?
    Was preware uninstalled when you ran the commands? If so, make sure you're doing number 4 under "Enabling the Beta Testing Feeds" at testing.preware.org. Those commands simply enable the beta feeds once you reinstall preware. You still have to activate the feeds in the manage feeds section, then refresh the feeds, and they new kernels should show up in the kernels section of preware. You then have to install them from that area.
  3.    #3  
    yes I have followed the procedure step by step uninstall , command line , run the two commands , reinstalled , but there's no "testing feeds" in my manage feeds section it's just "regular" preware.

    when you run the two commands do you get some kind of notification it's been ran. Cause when I run the first it just goes to the root command then when I run the second it just goes back to root command....nothing runs or shows me anything different.
    thanks
  4. dna550's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #4  
    I think the documentation on how to install the beta Kernals needs to be re-written, since a lot has changed and now all of the step-by-step YouTube Videos are now obsolete as well as most of the existing documentation.

    Initially, I thought maybe this was because my TouchPad came with webOS 3.02, but likely this would affect anyone now.

    For Example:

    This is where you start now:

    WebOS Quick Install v4.3.1 - PreCentral Forums http://bit.ly/qK7C7h

    and this is where you can get lost:

    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals





    Maybe this was the intent of the developers?
  5.    #5  
    Doesn't need to be rewritten, I can understand the texting feed site fine. Just nothing works after I follow the steps it list.
  6. dna550's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #6  
    I know i would like this to be fixed, since I was looking forward to using the F4 Phantom Kernel @ 1.8GHz

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...omparison.html

    Testing Feeds Q&A

    Q: Who should use the Alpha testing feeds?

    A: If you're asking that question, then you should not be using the Alpha testing feeds. Very very very very very few people should ever enable the Alpha testing feeds. Unless you have a git repository cloned and are editing code, you should not enable the Alpha testing feeds.

    Q: Who should use the Beta testing feeds?

    A: Anyone is welcome to use the Beta testing feeds, as long as they comply fully with the rules and know exactly why they are using a Beta testing feed (i.e. they are not just blindly following some instructions in some article or forum post somewhere).

    Q: Why does enabling the feeds require connecting my device to a computer?

    A: When you are enabling testing feeds for the first time, we want to ensure that you are able to connect to your device from a computer to assist in debugging the things you are testing, or to be able to recover your device if something goes wrong.

    Q: Why does enabling the feeds require reinstalling Preware?

    A: The feeds are actually created when Preware is installed, so you need to reinstall Preware for the feeds to be created on your device.

    Q: Why does enabling the feeds require the use of the Linux command line?

    A: To be an effective tester, you need to be able to access your device on the Linux command line to provide debugging information. We ensure that you can do that before you are able to access the feeds.

    Q: Why can't I just enter in the feed URLs directly?

    A: Too many people got the feed names or feed URLs wrong, so we took those things out of the equation.

    Q: Why can't I publish the instructions on my blog or website or forum post?

    A: Too many people were publishing the URLs without the corresponding rules and warnings.

    This is now strictly forbidden.

    Q: What are the alpha-patches and beta-patches feeds going to be used for?

    A: The alpha-patches feed will be used for testing new AUPT scripts which will be able to handle patching files in /media/cryptofs/apps/ (files not inside /md5sums).

    Once that is working, we'll use the beta-patches feed to do a complete upgrade of all patches to use the new AUPT scripts and then beta test those.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilandu View Post
    when you run the two commands do you get some kind of notification it's been ran. Cause when I run the first it just goes to the root command then when I run the second it just goes back to root command....nothing runs or shows me anything different.
    That is the way the Unix/Linux command line works. If you don't get an error message, that means that it did what you asked it. It almost never asks "are you sure" or tells you "command executed successfully!" or anything like that... it just does what you tell it.

    However, if you are running commands like 'mkdir' and 'rm' and you're not sure what those commands do, you should check the manual pages.
    mkdir(1): make directories - Linux man page
    rm(1): remove files/directories - Linux man page
  8. #8  
    i got beta s up and running ... but nothing comes up under the beta-patches and beta-optware sections.... is this normal????
  9. #9  
    So you can no longer just enter in the feeds? I've updated to 3.0.4.77, and of course the F4 Phantom feed I was using is gone. And I'm trying to reinstall it, but it seems things have changed. I cannot use webOS with 1.18 or 1.5. It seems the machine only seems to really operate like I'd hoped at 1.8+.

    I just don't know how to enter the Linux commands to re-access the feeds I need.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    So you can no longer just enter in the feeds? I've updated to 3.0.4.77, and of course the F4 Phantom feed I was using is gone. And I'm trying to reinstall it, but it seems things have changed. I cannot use webOS with 1.18 or 1.5. It seems the machine only seems to really operate like I'd hoped at 1.8+.

    I just don't know how to enter the Linux commands to re-access the feeds I need.
    I'm going to try to say this without seeming like a jerk...

    Testing feeds are intended for those who have a reasonable technical knowledge of Linux and are willing to have to wipe their device at a moments notice.

    If you don't feel comfortable with the testing feed requirements - wait for the stable feed options to show up.

    I used to run testing feeds on my Pre Plus but I have gotten away from that after being uncomfortable with the requirements to wipe the device and recreate problems before getting help in some circumstances. The point I am trying to make is... pick what your comfort level can handle.

    If you need help with the commands I'm sure someone can assist - but be aware that if you have problems later they are going to expect you to be willing to doctor the device and start over.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'm going to try to say this without seeming like a jerk...

    Testing feeds are intended for those who have a reasonable technical knowledge of Linux and are willing to have to wipe their device at a moments notice.

    If you don't feel comfortable with the testing feed requirements - wait for the stable feed options to show up.

    I used to run testing feeds on my Pre Plus but I have gotten away from that after being uncomfortable with the requirements to wipe the device and recreate problems before getting help in some circumstances. The point I am trying to make is... pick what your comfort level can handle.

    If you need help with the commands I'm sure someone can assist - but be aware that if you have problems later they are going to expect you to be willing to doctor the device and start over.
    I understand that, and I was ready to wipe my device and doctor it back, should I run across problems.

    The F4 kernel made this tablet usable, and its just rather sluggish stuck at 1.18. Even the 1.5 kernel is down or not available in preware right now. And I was planning on staying put here because the OS was so snappy.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    I understand that, and I was ready to wipe my device and doctor it back, should I run across problems.

    The F4 kernel made this tablet usable, and its just rather sluggish stuck at 1.18. Even the 1.5 kernel is down or not available in preware right now. And I was planning on staying put here because the OS was so snappy.
    Sounds like you are well informed and aware of the issues then. I haven't used this device with those feeds or I would be happy to help you in PM's.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmfish View Post
    I understand that, and I was ready to wipe my device and doctor it back, should I run across problems.

    The F4 kernel made this tablet usable, and its just rather sluggish stuck at 1.18. Even the 1.5 kernel is down or not available in preware right now. And I was planning on staying put here because the OS was so snappy.
    How did you make out with this in the end? I seem to be having the same problem as you. Thanks in advance!
  14. twack's Avatar
    Posts
    634 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #14  
    dna550,

    My suggestion is to perform the following commands at a linux command line:

    cd /media/internal
    ls -R /var/preferences/ > ./beta.txt

    Then post that beta.txt file here so the gurus can pick at it. I just installed the beta feeds and no problem. But then that would mean something if every TP was exactly the same. LOL
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.



    |wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
  15. #15  
    To: jdmfish and Dilandu - I had this same problem and I'd like to share how to solve it - the problem is it's not in an obvious place to be able to enable the beta, alpha feeds. What you do is you need to go into preferences in the upper left "Preware " menu with an arrow - where it says "manage feeds" and TURN ON the buttons with the new beta feeds. Thereafter, update the feeds and you'll see all the cool kernels listed. HTH!

Posting Permissions