webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > PulseAudio Settings
PulseAudio Settings

Old 09/30/2011, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

This app is only released in the alpha feed at the moment. The current release works in both Pre3 and TouchPad. Here's the info about the current alpha version. You also need to have the Enable PulseAudio Control patch installed which should get installed automatically when the app is installed.

For now its recommended to pause/stop music playing (any sounds) when switching to network audio or when switching back to TP. For the alpha period please also keep the app running when using the network audio.

Configuring the Linux Desktop/Server for listening PulseAudio connections:

pactl load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1

You can also add that into default.pa configuration file if you want it to get loaded automatically once pulseaudio is loaded. Notice that the auth-anonymous parameter allows all connections, if you want to limit the allowed client connections then see pulseaudio documentation.

Configuring the Linux Desktop/Server fas a client for PulseAudio on the TP:

pactl load-module module-tunnel-sink server=<TOUCHPAD_IP> sink_name=<OPTIONAL_SINK_NAME>

So do this if you want to send the music from desktop into TP.

Usage of the PulseAudio Settings app on the TouchPad:

When you start the app you can configure what sounds you want to direct to network server and which to play at the TP. You can add multiple servers, but only one per wireless SSID (if multiple defined then only first server is used). For the server you need to give 1) the SSID of the wireless network which you want to "bind" the server to, 2) the IP address of the server (ATM no checking of the address is done so type it correctly), 3) mode for the server, where 'auto' means that the server is connected automatically when connected to the configured wireless SSID and 'ask' that only availability of the server is notified and then you need to connect to it from the dashboard.

When you want to update the pulseaudio state hit the apply settings button. This will check the current wifi connection and react based on the configuration / wifi state. If configured server available for the wifi SSID you should see the dashboard notification. The same action is performed when the service notices wifi connection changes.

If you want to reset the status (i.e. move from wifi to TP sounds) select the reset pulseaudio from the app menu.

Using TP as a server and connecting desktop to it:

Just enable the pulseaudio server in the settings and apply settings.

Future features (TODO):

+ Make the dashboard updates not to start the application (in next release, 0.3.0 version).

+ Make the app / patch work on Pre3 (in next release, 0.3.0 version)

+ Enable the automatic wireless connection monitoring and react based on the events (in current release, 0.2.0 version).

+ Add firewall port opening so that there is no need to do it manually, also add more control to limit the access (in current release, 0.2.0 version).

- Maybe make the icon tap to re-connect the server when connected, from the dashboard popup I mean...

- Allow multiple servers to be configured for one SSID and provide means of selecting which to connect.

- Make patch for 2.1.x and add mojo UI if the core stuff works on 2.1.x as well, it should
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.

Last edited by sconix; 10/01/2011 at 12:25 PM.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Alastor263, qole, somline
Old 10/01/2011, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

The app is working really well for me, but the audio is very choppy. I'm just playing music so far... Any ideas?
minego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minego View Post
The app is working really well for me, but the audio is very choppy. I'm just playing music so far... Any ideas?
What is your server, a Linux or? And what kind of connection you have? Did you try with (for example) youtube or played local music?

Dustin tried with windows machine running pulseaudio and got choppy audio. For me its working well so haven't tried to see if there's any way to make it better. I am trying to get the RTP part working since I think it might be actually better in terms of needed bandwidth etc. I will try with older (=slower) wireless AP soon to see if I can get the choppiness as well so I can more better see if there is a way to optimize it somehow.
- If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Old 10/01/2011, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
What is your server, a Linux or? And what kind of connection you have? Did you try with (for example) youtube or played local music?

Dustin tried with windows machine running pulseaudio and got choppy audio. For me its working well so haven't tried to see if there's any way to make it better. I am trying to get the RTP part working since I think it might be actually better in terms of needed bandwidth etc. I will try with older (=slower) wireless AP soon to see if I can get the choppiness as well so I can more better see if there is a way to optimize it somehow.
My server is an ubuntu machine. I'm a good distance from my AP though. I'll try closer to it later today and see if that helps things.
Old 10/01/2011, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

quick shortcut for those wanting to control their authentication Modules
Quote:
auth-anonymous

If set to 1 no authentication is required to connect to the service

auth-group (only for -unix)

members of the specified unix group may access the server without further authentication. Changed in 0.9.3: if the daemon is running in system-wide mode (--system passed when starting up) defaults to pulse-access, otherwise is disabled.

auth-group-enabled (only for -unix)

New in 0.9.3: enable/disable auth-group authentication, takes a boolean value (0 or 1). If auth-group= is specified or started in system-wide mode defaults to 1, otherwise 0.

auth-cookie

New in 0.9.12: Name of the cookie file for authentication purposes. Defaults to ".pulse-cookie". The homedir of the user running pulse is automatically prepended to non-absolute paths.

auth-cookie-enabled

New in 0.9.12: enable/disable auth-cookie authentication, takes a boolean value (0 or 1). Defaults to 1.

cookie

The old name for auth-cookie. Don't use this, it's only here for compatibility with versions before 0.9.12.

auth-ip-acl (only for -tcp}

New in 0.9.3: A semicolon separated list of IP address range to which anonymous access is allowed. Example: auth-ip-acl=10.11.12.13;192.168.50.0/24;127.0.0.0/8
MiDoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sconix
Old 10/01/2011, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
My server is an ubuntu machine. I'm a good distance from my AP though. I'll try closer to it later today and see if that helps things.
Would be interesting to know what is the average ping to your server, just for reference so can try to determine which factors have an effect for the choppiness. It would be nice to know in what kind of environment this solution works well. At least my network seems to give 75ms average (18-130). Might try to see what kind of BW I get just to gather some data. At least I think its mainly about network connection, have done browsing + other light usage with the TP without any choppiness on the playback and mine TP is not even overclocked.
Old 10/01/2011, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
Would be interesting to know what is the average ping to your server, just for reference so can try to determine which factors have an effect for the choppiness. It would be nice to know in what kind of environment this solution works well. At least my network seems to give 75ms average (18-130). Might try to see what kind of BW I get just to gather some data. At least I think its mainly about network connection, have done browsing + other light usage with the TP without any choppiness on the playback and mine TP is not even overclocked.
I just did a ping -c 30 from my TouchPad to the server. Average ping time was 7.4ms, and max was 24.9ms. I don't think ping times are the issue hehe.

I am running uber kernel, but with the default clock speed. I will try another server later today. I just need to find some speakers first.
Old 10/01/2011, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I just did a ping -c 30 from my TouchPad to the server. Average ping time was 7.4ms, and max was 24.9ms. I don't think ping times are the issue hehe.

I am running uber kernel, but with the default clock speed. I will try another server later today. I just need to find some speakers first.
Damn why is my ping then so bad Well at least good to know then that this works with relative bad pings which I think my network can be categorized as

EDIT: You could also try giving the pulseaudio process a higher priority but I don't think that should be a problem on Linux machine. At least pulseaudio should have proper priority, my server is a debian squeeze with older pulseaudio than TP so I am happy that this works even with my "old" desktop setup + slowish network
Old 10/01/2011, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

If somebody has a good link for pulseaudio RTP setup from command line I would appreciate the info Can't seem to get it to work even on desktop, I am clearly missing something.

I am trying to get the enyo app play nice with the dashboard launches so that the main window would not be always opened. After I get this done I'll release 0.3.0 which works nicely even on Pre3 (at leas the app, haven't played with the rest that much).
Old 10/01/2011, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tomorrow I will release 0.3.0 and updated patch that fixes one problem and also patch for pre3.
Old 10/02/2011, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'll try playing around with things when I get a chance. Been even busier with work than I expected
Old 10/02/2011, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll try playing around with things when I get a chance. Been even busier with work than I expected
No worries as have I. I am pushing 0.3.0 out now so should show up in the alpha feed soon. The new patch releases will come tomorrow.
Old 10/02/2011, 06:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've been using the pulse audio restart app since day one and it works like a charm!

does the trick every time

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
BeingBoston121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 02:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
I've been using the pulse audio restart app since day one and it works like a charm!

does the trick every time
You do realize that this thread is for something completely different app
Old 10/03/2011, 02:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

I removed the required patch for the app from the regular feed, we are working to get alpha patches feed for having the alpha patches there. Stay tuned for more info during today about how you can get the latest patch version.
Old 10/04/2011, 06:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

The patches are now in the alpha patches feed, so please enable that feed as well and update the patches.
Old 10/04/2011, 05:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

sconix upon the update for the patch (to 45) I get a md5 error on module-palm-policy.so

no module-palm-policy.so.orig in folder to manually go back to
Old 10/04/2011, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
sconix upon the update for the patch (to 45) I get a md5 error on module-palm-policy.so

Click to view quoted image

no module-palm-policy.so.orig in folder to manually go back to
Yes, unfortunately the original patch had a bug or more importantly the AUPT scripts had a bug. The bug caused that file to not get restored, so you need to unpack the original file from the doctor and copy over. The new version of the patch works correctly. Just unpack the file from the doctor or contact me.

Last edited by sconix; 10/05/2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10/05/2011, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

sconix thanks that fixed it. I noticed you took down your edit. So for others with this issue, unpacking the doctor and grabbing the file from usr/lib/pulse-audio-0.9.22/modules and use internalz pro to move it to the correct place on the tab.
Old 10/31/2011, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

The latest 0.5.0 version also supports turning on/off USB audio. Having USB audio will require a kernel with usb audio support and those kernels have not yet published but should be soon.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0