Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I am running warthog and have had no issues even with something like need for speed.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    vella_ likes this.
    I've been running the Warthog kernel at 1.7 for the last 4 weeks and have noticed no ill effects, diminished battery life or even heat, but it sure feels a lot snappier.
    vella_ likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If you read the tech specs, the processor family is spec up to 1.5ghz, however, according to wiki, our model is only 1.2ghz. *This likely means that the sister chip in the family is the one that is 1.5ghz, and although it may be possible that all of them in the wild actually will run at 1.5 with out problems, the actual specs for the chips are not known. *It could also mean that all of the chips in the family will run up to 1.5 but that's not really known since the touchpads are the onlything that got this model.

I haven't heard of anyone cracking open any of the ultra rare 1.5ghz models and saying that they do, without a doubt, have the same processor, rather than the other more common model. If they do, then I totally take this back.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Not a sister chip. The Touchpad runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 mobile processor rated up to 1.5GHz, same cpu in the HTC EVO 3D (1.2Ghz), Samsung Galaxy S II (1.5Ghz) and others. The phone and tablet makers are setting the clock speed to what they feel their devices needs or what battery life they are trying to achieve. All the HP Touchpad versions, 16GB, 32Gb and 64GB are all running the same Snapdragon S3 processor. The 16 and 32Gb versions are clocked at 1.2Ghz and the 64Gn version is clocked at 1.5Ghz. Again, running your Touchpad at 1.5Ghz is not an overclock.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by rico2001 View Post
    Not a sister chip. The Touchpad runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 mobile processor rated up to 1.5GHz, same cpu in the HTC EVO 3D (1.2Ghz), Samsung Galaxy S II (1.5Ghz) and others. The phone and tablet makers are setting the clock speed to what they feel their devices needs or what battery life they are trying to achieve. All the HP Touchpad versions, 16GB, 32Gb and 64GB are all running the same Snapdragon S3 processor. The 16 and 32Gb versions are clocked at 1.2Ghz and the 64Gn version is clocked at 1.5Ghz. Again, running your Touchpad at 1.5Ghz is not an overclock.
    Didn't someone mention that the processor found inside the 64GB Touchpad, while
    technically idential to the ones in the 16GB/32GB units, had a different number on
    the back? (it was one of those sites that tears down a brand new gadget to see
    what's inside)
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    One possible negative effect is that if you brick your Touchpad and can't return it back to the standard kernel, there is a possibility that HP might decide that you have voided the terms of your warranty. I say "possibility" as I've not heard of this actually happening to anyone.
    that is because bricking is almost impossible on a tp, the tp Dr can fix just about anything. I hate how loosely that term is thrown around. -sigh-

anyway, I'm using warthog and my tp runs like a champ. I had some hickups, but after uninstalling the patch in prepare for the cfq scheduler, it has been smooth sailing ever since. Everything streams great, game play is flawless. Uberkernel is like any other kernel, read the rules, take the risks, but know completely killing your tp is highly unlikely.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Only negative effect I can think of is my TouchPad potentially getting hotter.

Keep in mind though...I don't see a fraction of the problem with my TP getting hot especially when compared to my Pre-. Also note, I've had my Pre- for just over two years cranking out 800mhz to 1000mhz consistently and it is still alive and kicking.

One last note, I did notice last night when watching videos...the bottom edge of my TP LCD bleeding light. It's not that bad, but I also have this problem on my Pre- and this may be directly related to overclocking and LCD panels getting hotter then usual. Sorry I have know way of knowing and hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in with more relevant information. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    One possible negative effect is that if you brick your Touchpad and can't return it back to the standard kernel, there is a possibility that HP might decide that you have voided the terms of your warranty. I say "possibility" as I've not heard of this actually happening to anyone.
    Actually even if you return to factory kernel, HP/Palm can tell you had overclocked the device. Rod has mentioned this since the first overclocking of webOS. (unless something has changed with the reduced logging, this has always been said to be seen by HP).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Actually even if you return to factory kernel, HP/Palm can tell you had overclocked the device. Rod has mentioned this since the first overclocking of webOS. (unless something has changed with the reduced logging, this has always been said to be seen by HP).
    What if you used webOS Doctor to return it to factory virgin state? Will HP still be able
    to tell that the Touchpad was overclocked to 1.5GHz previously?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    What if you used webOS Doctor to return it to factory virgin state? Will HP still be able
    to tell that the Touchpad was overclocked to 1.5GHz previously?

Thanks!
    Yup because HP has the ability to see what you have installed on your device right now or at any moment (including sideloaded apps). So basically, when you are running 1.5 that is recorded to your devices serial number in the vast amount of data collected. Technically overclocking of any kind can void your warranty (even running at the qualcomm approved 1.5). With that said, I have yet to hear of someone have their warranty voided due to this, but it is always a possibility.

The same way developers can see what devices are running their apps and various data about the devices. This data can be spoofed, my guess is that is for HP/Palm to protect some of their testing devices (back when they had devices to test) so that developers can't see everything that may be in testing.

Below is from the webosinternals wiki
    Also: While patching does not void your warranty, OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. One of these steps involves using a testing kernel feed, and the warnings for that are available on the page we will be referencing for it. PLEASE READ THE WARNINGS. Ill summerise: It voids your warranty and there is a possibility that your phone will turn into a pile of liquid goo. Ok not really but it could break it. So far though I only know of one instance where overclocking destroyed a Pre.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Yup because HP has the ability to see what you have installed on your device right now or at any moment (including sideloaded apps). So basically, when you are running 1.5 that is recorded to your devices serial number in the vast amount of data collected. Technically overclocking of any kind can void your warranty (even running at the qualcomm approved 1.5). With that said, I have yet to hear of someone have their warranty voided due to this, but it is always a possibility.

The same way developers can see what devices are running their apps and various data about the devices. This data can be spoofed, my guess is that is for HP/Palm to protect some of their testing devices (back when they had devices to test) so that developers can't see everything that may be in testing.

Below is from the webosinternals wiki
    I don't think HP need to go through the trouble of figureing all that out..

All HP needs to do is check the browser history. Anyone who has ever
    visited Precentral is a suspect.

Let me state for the record: I was never here.
    I think they underclocked it so when they come up with the next tablet they could rated it at 1.5mhz and people be jumping jumping with the upgrade.. lol

I think that's what apple does.. used the same chip A4 and on the next device call it A5.. magically revolucionary.. lol

its all marketing to make money! just saying...
    Didn't someone mention that the processor found inside the 64GB Touchpad, while technically idential to the ones in the 16GB/32GB units, had a different number on the back? (it was one of those sites that tears down a brand new gadget to see what's inside)
    you have a link to a 64GB tear down that compares the differences?

It just seems silly to me to underclock a chip that is designed to run at the full 1.5Ghz when there's no downside observed. Makes me wonder if there's some hidden consequences like shortened lifespan due to heat. The only other major thing i can think of is shortened battery life, but so far nobody has reported anything significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    I think they underclocked it so when they come up with the next tablet they could rated it at 1.5mhz and people be jumping jumping with the upgrade.. lol

I think that's what apple does.. used the same chip A4 and on the next device call it A5.. magically revolucionary.. lol

its all marketing to make money! just saying...
    Totally agree.. Car manufacturers probably do a similar stunt.. a simple bit of DE-governing initially, in order to then make their next model 'faster and better' for a step up in market place!

I wonder if the G4 capable TP Qualcomm chipset is the 'different number' referred to? 1.5Ghz + G4 would have been the Touchpad2 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sparced View Post
    you have a link to a 64GB tear down that compares the differences?

It just seems silly to me to underclock a chip that is designed to run at the full 1.5Ghz when there's no downside observed. Makes me wonder if there's some hidden consequences like shortened lifespan due to heat. The only other major thing i can think of is shortened battery life, but so far nobody has reported anything significant.
    someone mentioned those pics... but links went to a Chinese site, which I can't understand because I don't know much about porcelain... so it might as well have been written in Klingon. I think it's call treo8.com (or was it treoeight.com?) That's the same site that showed pictures of the Touchpad Go 7" tablets.
    Didn't someone mention that the processor found inside the 64GB Touchpad, while
    technically idential to the ones in the 16GB/32GB units, had a different number on
    the back? (it was one of those sites that tears down a brand new gadget to see
    what's inside)
    If it's anything like computer memory chips, where the chip manufacture will make a base class of chip which will be good for a "max" speed and then label differernt lower speed variations to sell to end users. I haven't seen any pics of the cpu but that is most likely the case. From From Qualcomm, they currently make the Snapdragon in (3) families:

S1 (Up to 1 GHz Single-core Scorpion CPU with Up to Adeno 200 GPU)
    S2 (Up to 1.4 GHz singe-core Scorpion CPU with Adreno 205 GPU)
    S3 (Up to 1.5 GHz Dual-core Scorpion CPUs with Adreno 220 GPU)

They are said to release the S4 (Dual-core up to 2.5Ghz with Adreno 320 GPU) sometime next year.

According the the bom from isuppli.com and other sources, all (3) Touchpads are using the the Qualcomm APQ8060 (Snapdragon S3) chip.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    So I can expect a pass on warranty terms from HP because Qualcomm said the chip was intended to clock to 1.5Ghz? Something tells me HP may not play it that way. Be real, if you overclock (or whatever you call changing the clock rate to 1.5Ghz) you should be prepared to eat it if anything goes wrong. With that said (and a long history in electronics and now computers), I agree that the 1.5Ghz rate looks safe, but is it really cool to pass it off to others as no risk involved?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leeosenton View Post
    So I can expect a pass on warranty terms from HP because Qualcomm said the chip was intended to clock to 1.5Ghz? Something tells me HP may not play it that way. Be real, if you overclock (or whatever you call changing the clock rate to 1.5Ghz) you should be prepared to eat it if anything goes wrong. With that said (and a long history in electronics and now computers), I agree that the 1.5Ghz rate looks safe, but is it really cool to pass it off to others as no risk involved?
    QFT.

When I get mine I will overclock to 1.5Ghz. But I understand the risks on the warranty terms. I think mine is from the "new batch," (thanks OnSale) so I hope they worked out any problems on this last run.
    1.5 lags my TP sometimes randomly. It would lag for 5ish seconds. I can still open/close aps, but the don't load.
    1.5 lags my TP sometimes randomly. It would lag for 5ish seconds. I can still open/close aps, but the don't load.

Did you set logging to minimal?
    I'm using warthog but i was clocked at 1.5 for a time. it was really nice. used ondemandtcl setting. and noop/cubic? but i cant remember why but now im back on 1.2ghz.

I did notice the TP getting hot. then again im in the tropics... So you can say that's a negative...

Point to note... i noticed if i restart... my govnah profile is reset so it went straight up to 1.7..ghz so watch out for that.
    ohh and if you see your CPU2 is at 0ghz dont worry... that's how the system works.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast