webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Pre 3 custom kernels
Pre 3 custom kernels
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09/21/2011, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
UberKernel/Pre3 2.2.0-4 is now in the alpha-kernels feed.

It has no features yet.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
UberKernel/Pre3 is now in the beta-kernels feed, and it solves the Too Many Cards (TMC) problem.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Palmiga, stickerboy
Old 09/21/2011, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,687
gonna be a lot of happy pre3 owners now with tmc fixed.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
hagster's Avatar
 
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
UberKernel/Pre3 is now in the beta-kernels feed, and it solves the Too Many Cards (TMC) problem.

-- Rod
Hallelujah Thanks Rod, Thanks webOSInternals.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Goyena's Avatar
 
Posts: 893
Rod, you wanted scenarios to stress-test the fix, my suggestions:
- drPodder
- webpage with autoloaded flash

Here's a webpage which single-handedly pushed a TMC error after a device restar: Videos des cours de Hip-Hop de Gyom
__________________
Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
Goyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 34
Thanks, Rod!

Is the Preware server down? Getting lots of "Command failed with return value 1:" when updating my feeds.

[Edit] Nevermind, we're back! Installing UberKernel now!

Last edited by bela41; 09/21/2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: problem solved
bela41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 34
Rod,

I'm getting an error when installing UberKernel on my EU Pre3:

Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-palm-rib/extra/ramzswap.ko
Verification failed on /lib/modules/2.6.32.9-palm-rib/extra/xvmalloc.ko

Any ideas what the problem might be?

[Edit] Nevermind, I installed the Palm Recovery kernel and that seemed to fix whatever the problem was. UberKernel installed without a problem! Thanks again!

Last edited by bela41; 09/21/2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: problem solved.
bela41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
stickerboy's Avatar
 
Posts: 101
Great news, I'll be giving this a try as soon as I get home. Been running JSTop the last few days, that seemed to help out quite a bit
__________________
|| Flickr || Twitter ||
stickerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 34
awsome! i am looking forward for custom voltages
eternityzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,586
I had the problem, that suddenly audio wasn't working anymore. Pressing any volume button or the mute switch resulted in nothing (no notification).
I tried restarting pulseaudio and got the following log:
Code:
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device=hw:0 sink_name=pcm_output mmap=1 tsched=0 channels=2"): initialization failed.
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: main.c: Module load failed.
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
daemon.warning upstart: (00023/620262560) pulseaudio main process (1424) terminated with status 1
daemon.warning upstart: (00023/620476183) pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
user.warning pulseaudio[1440]: alsa-util.c: Unable to convert error string to locale, filtering.
Did couple of restarts, battery eject, started with headphones connected. Nothing
Hardware test of volume and mute buttons worked.

After uninstalling Uberkernel sound works now.
EDIT: I have only one patch installed: "Unthrottle Download Manager"
EDIT2: Uberkernel version v2.2.0.1
__________________
Dr. Battery

Last edited by somline; 09/30/2011 at 02:11 AM.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 02:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
I had the problem, that suddenly audio wasn't working anymore. Pressing any volume button or the mute switch resulted in nothing (no notification).
I tried restarting pulseaudio and got the following log:
Code:
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device=hw:0 sink_name=pcm_output mmap=1 tsched=0 channels=2"): initialization failed.
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: main.c: Module load failed.
user.err pulseaudio[1424]: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
daemon.warning upstart: (00023/620262560) pulseaudio main process (1424) terminated with status 1
daemon.warning upstart: (00023/620476183) pulseaudio main process ended, respawning
user.warning pulseaudio[1440]: alsa-util.c: Unable to convert error string to locale, filtering.
Did couple of restarts, battery eject, started with headphones connected. Nothing
Hardware test of volume and mute buttons worked.

After uninstalling Uberkernel sound works now.
EDIT: I have only one patch installed: "Unthrottle Download Manager"
EDIT2: Uberkernel version v2.2.0.1
Does it occur with UberKernel 2.2.0-5 in the beta feed?

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2011, 02:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Does it occur with UberKernel 2.2.0-5 in the beta feed?

-- Rod
I will try. I had the Kernel installed for at least a week before it happened.
Since it happened suddenly I have no idea how to replicate.
I haven't changed anything the day before I lost the sound.
Thanks Rod.

EDIT: BTW I hadn't overclocked.
__________________
Dr. Battery
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,586
So running 2.2.0-5 for two days and audio disappears again. This time a reboot fixed it. Will investigate more.
__________________
Dr. Battery
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Sanjay's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,014
For the last couple of days, my Pre3 has been running very sluggishly and att imes the lag is way too much. At times the phone just seems to totally stop responding. I'm wondering if it's because of 2.2.0-5 or some patch. In any case I have just run 'EPR' and will run the phone without any patches to try and figure this out. Just don't feel like doctoring just yet.
__________________
Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
So running 2.2.0-5 for two days and audio disappears again. This time a reboot fixed it. Will investigate more.
PulseAudio needing restarting is a known problem that is happening to people running the stock kernel. For that reason I am assuming it is unrelated to UberKernel.

-- Rod
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2011, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
For the last couple of days, my Pre3 has been running very sluggishly and att imes the lag is way too much. At times the phone just seems to totally stop responding. I'm wondering if it's because of 2.2.0-5 or some patch. In any case I have just run 'EPR' and will run the phone without any patches to try and figure this out. Just don't feel like doctoring just yet.
It's likely you have an app that is leaking memory. You would have got TMC errors with the stock kernel. Use JsTop to find which app is to blame.

-- Rod
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 05:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
jkromero's Avatar
 
Posts: 63
I just got a new Pre 3, I haved doctored it to 2.2.4, installed preware, impostah, the wifi fix patch and thats it.
When I go to install either the Palm recovery kernel or the Uberkernel I get the following error IPKG error

begin
Nothing Interesting.
verify
Nothing Interesting.
failed
-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --user-agent Preware --create-dirs --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre3_2.2.4-1_arm.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....2.4-1_arm.ipk 2>&1
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
92 4575k 92 4241k 0 0 72108 0 0:01:04 0:01:00 0:00:04 73426
93 4575k 93 4258k 0 0 72072 0 0:01:05 0:01:00 0:00:05 72281
curl: (18) transfer closed with 323865 bytes remaining to read
begin
Nothing Interesting.
verify
Nothing Interesting.
failed
-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/curl --user-agent Preware --create-dirs --location --fail --show-error --output /media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.kernels.palm-kernel-pre3_2.2.4-1_arm.ipk http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....2.4-1_arm.ipk 2>&1
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
81 4575k 81 3735k 0 0 63784 0 0:01:13 0:00:59 0:00:14 47295
82 4575k 82 3763k 0 0 63388 0 0:01:13 0:01:00 0:00:13 44894
curl: (18) transfer closed with 830666 bytes remaining to read

I have attempted installing both of these numerous times with no luck. If there is any more info needed I attempt to get. Thanks in advance.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2012, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,338
Looks like your connection is getting dumped partway through the transfer .. can you do it on WiFi, if you're not already? or on cellular, if you have a crap WiFi connection?
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jkromero
Old 11/07/2012, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
jkromero's Avatar
 
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Looks like your connection is getting dumped partway through the transfer .. can you do it on WiFi, if you're not already? or on cellular, if you have a crap WiFi connection?
Thanks eblade. You're right it was a crap WiFi connection. I got home and boom
they both loaded perfectly. I actually feel kinda stupid for wasting the forums time. I should've known better.. Thanks again.
jkromero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2012, 12:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
GMMan's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,136
It was actually unnecessary to try downloading the recovery console because it was Doctored fresh and comes with the default kernel.
__________________
Contact: @GMMan_BZFlag (me on Twitter)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: jkromero
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0