Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I see. Education is a wonderful idea! Less stress for everybody.

Questions are always welcome here. However, I would ask as a member that when asking a question, please do a quick search before you ask, and at least show some effort and prior knowledge to the problem before you ask. My time is valuable, just like everyone else's. I'm not trying to say that some questions don't deserve to be answered, just that, IMO, more would be willing to answer a question that has been well thought out, opposed to a 5 word question. If you invest time in asking, someone will invest time in answering. Like everything in life, it is a two way street.

Great analogy.
    I cannot speak for mister, but I have found everyone of your posts ( yours AND Rods) to very polite and straightforward. Two things that I love in a human being!
    I was only making reference to the people who argue when you try to help them or ask for help, or attempt to belittle those of us that are learning linux and other webOS jargon. I find linux cannot be a spectator sport, you have to just read as much as you can, THEN ask questions, and talk to ONE source, to avoid multiple versions of advice, that you then have to decipher, and figure out which is right (hence some of these threads). Then do it.

I chose FX as my source, and he answered my question. Thank you fx!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm one step closer to becoming a Linux god!! Well, a billion steps actually.

I'm rounding up generously.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's a shame that you have come to feel that way, as you obviously have the right level of conscious personal responsibility and attitude to be a good beta tester.

-- Rod
    I feel a lot better after getting some guidance from another member. I am a nurse by profession, so computers were honestly my first love, but healthcare pays the bills. That does not mean however, I cannot still be a nurse by day and linux/hacker/HTML jedi by night.

Thank you for your help.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    I chose FX as my source, and he answered my question. Thank you fx!!
    Glad I could help =)

Also my post not aimed towards you or anyone in general, more towards the forums as a whole
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm sure you consider at least one of my responses in another thread to be in that category

What folks need to realise is that this is a community that has been operating well for over two years, and has built up a body of community knowledge over that time where new folks come in at a low rate and the community can easily handle the task of welcoming, including and educating new members.

What has happened over the last two months due to the HP announcement and TouchPad firesale is analogous to having a huge crowd of rowdy outsiders gate-crashing a funeral, yelling out what an ***** the dead guy was, and asking questions about how the coffin is built.

Whilst there is no excuse for unreasonable responses to well-researched questions, those asking the questions do need to consider what impact this huge influx of new people (most of whom have absolutely no exposure to webOS previously) has had on the patience of those who are answering the questions ...

-- Rod
    hey, I can understand how frustrating it can be to answer the same question over and over. having only been here for a couple weeks I already see people asking things that can be learned with a simple search. and I see how patient you are, Rod, by how many questions you do answer. And I do appreciate it and I will continue to ask and learn from you and others who are much more knowledgeable than me.
    Would it be possible to have two more options in Preferences/Second Line which are:

Version, Maintainer & Feed (would be displayable on the TouchPad)
    Version, Feed (would be better suited for the Pre)
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 09/19/2011 at 01:32 PM.
    hmm not sure whats happened but my pre3 now says.

Preware

Unable to open saved packages database: Transaction Failure (code 5): not authorized.

any idea whats gone wrong for me here? nothing bads happened just nothing seems to install, they get stuck in an infinite install, log has everything green/ok on whatever app/patch i try to install.

Not even sure what caused it or when.

any help appreciated, ta.
    OK I won't have access to my computer for at least another week, when I can go and pick it up. I just updated Preware (deleted it, enabled alpha and beta feeds, and installed 1.8.3 at the command line.)
    Now its just not working. I rebooted my phone, and the Preware card just hangs with the logo and keeps flashing.
    Another thing to note, when I open up Luna Manager now, I get the error message "Not permitted to send to org.webosinternals.ipkgservice."

Is there any way I can make this work without connecting to my computer?

I'm using a Sprint Pre running 2.1
    Last edited by tryp; 09/21/2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Also when I installed Preware at the command line, I got an error at the end telling me it couldn't run thepost installation scripts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    Would it be possible to have two more options in Preferences/Second Line which are:

Version, Maintainer & Feed (would be displayable on the TouchPad)
    Version, Feed (would be better suited for the Pre)
    Added to Preware 1.8.4 in the beta-apps feed soon.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    huladaddy likes this.
    I figured it out. The wget method worked without a hitch. http://www.google.com/m/url?channel=...P189fNEGfDXqng
    Just updated to the Beta feeds, and 1.8.4. I am leaving the Alpha feeds alone, for now, for my new TP.

A note to the "mid-level" techies, you can add the directory and file, using Internalz, instead of the command line.

(Note: If you dont know what Internalz is, you shouldnt be using the Beta feeds).
    When trying to open preware the software manager opens instead... I started with 1.7, updated to 1.8.3 then to 1.8.4 testing and this happened.

uninstalled, reinstalled 1.7, updated again twice to 1.8.4 and again, trying to open it opens software manager. any fix?

I had a metadoctor with automatic preware install and beta feeds enabled, does it have anything to do with this? thanks!
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345