Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Arranger View Post
    Yeah, but even I had those feeds enabled, they were deleted after I reinstalled Preware. Should those have been stayed untouchable? If so, that didn't happen on me. Don't know why Anyway, I probably would have tried to add those feeds again, if I has known that the 1.7.5 still accepts 'the original feeds' (yeah, I admit that I didn't read the changelog of the Preware earlier...)
    Preware specifically does not delete any feeds when it is uninstalled. You can test this yourself by creating a custom feed and uninstalling and reinstalling Preware.

BTW, we really do expect alpha and beta testers to read changelogs. Especiaily when they click "I've read this" after waiting for 5 seconds ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    is there any way to install preware without a computer? Maybe with ubuntu chroot?

edit: nevermind, found it.
    Last edited by R_E; 09/18/2011 at 07:09 AM.
    I havnt read all this but why can't this be a standard installation like the previous version?
    Quote Originally Posted by smell View Post
    I havnt read all this but why can't this be a standard installation like the previous version?
    From what I have read:

1) If you are NOT using any test feeds - it is. That's me at the moment.

2) If you are using test feeds - it is intentional. They have changed the way the feeds are organized and also how you turn them on and off requires either linux command line access or other workarounds. This is to discourage (my words not theirs) casual use without good understanding of the feeds purpose. The only way the feeds are created in the new model is at INSTALL time after certain conditions are met at the command line.

If I flubbed details here forgive me I have not installed the feeds (purposefully) and cannot provide quality feedback on how that works or does not work. The 1.8.3 version was only showing up for a while if you have the testing feeds enabled in the first place. Now it is part of the public feeds - which is why it was of interest to me in the first place.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 09/18/2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Command line access isn't "required". I used Internalz Pro to create the files documented in the Wiki.
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    Command line access isn't "required". I used Internalz Pro to create the files documented in the Wiki.
    Good point - I had forgotten that detail. Updated original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    From what I have read:

1) If you are NOT using any test feeds - it is. That's me at the moment.

2) If you are using test feeds - it is intentional. They have changed the way the feeds are organized and also how you turn them on and off requires either linux command line access or other workarounds. This is to discourage (my words not theirs) casual use without good understanding of the feeds purpose. The only way the feeds are created in the new model is at INSTALL time after certain conditions are met at the command line.

If I flubbed details here forgive me I have not installed the feeds (purposefully) and cannot provide quality feedback on how that works or does not work. The 1.8.3 version was only showing up for a while if you have the testing feeds enabled in the first place. Now it is part of the public feeds - which is why it was of interest to me in the first place.
    I'm not sure what feeds I have but all I did enter manually was the feeds for 'govnah' and 1.5ghz kernel so does that apply to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by smell View Post
    I'm not sure what feeds I have but all I did enter manually was the feeds for 'govnah' and 1.5ghz kernel so does that apply to me?
    How to only use safe stable feeds applies to you.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    How to only use safe stable feeds applies to you.

-- Rod
    thanks for that,

so all I do is delete any testing feeds and I'm good to update?

will what will happen regarding the patches I got from them for the 1.5ghz?
    Although I was confused for a few minutes--yeah, I plead guilty before Rod, er, God that I hit "OK, I've read this" without reading it--I think these changes re: the testing feeds make sense. There was a recent front-page story on PC, seemingly targeted at all the new TP owners not conversant with webOS/Preware, about overclocking which included instructions for installing bleeding-edge alpha kernels, which frankly didn't seem like a great idea to me. I've never had any irreparable problem with the experimental kernels, but I think it makes sense for people to install them with full disclosure, especially now that HP has run away from its hardware.
    Last edited by grappler; 09/18/2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Ed. re: above. "Disclosure" isn't quite correct, as the webOS Internals people have been quite careful about that. I guess I mean "with a solid sense of what they're getting into" with kernel replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Ed. re: above. "Disclosure" isn't quite correct, as the webOS Internals people have been quite careful about that. I guess I mean "with a solid sense of what they're getting into" with kernel replacements.
    The real problem has been trying to stop third-party bloggers and forum posters from giving only half the instructions (e.g. leaving out the warnings and rules) to the end-users. Our hope is that the new feeds and instructions go somewhat towards preventing that.

-- Rod
    The real problem has been trying to stop third-party bloggers and forum posters from giving only half the instructions (e.g. leaving out the warnings and rules) to the end-users. Our hope is that the new feeds and instructions go somewhat towards preventing that.

-- Rod
    I hope so to, for your sake. If you ask me I would probably say add more steps. OTOH, I'm a dev & I was able to follow the instructions w/ a breeze, so my view may not be the same as most others.

Either way, good luck and hope this helps you all.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I hope so to, for your sake. If you ask me I would probably say add more steps. OTOH, I'm a dev & I was able to follow the instructions w/ a breeze, so my view may not be the same as most others.

Either way, good luck and hope this helps you all.
    To be clear, the intent is not to put a barrier in front of those who want to participate in beta testing, but rather to make sure that those people make an educated and conscious decision whether they should be doing so or not.

Education, not segregation.

-- Rod
    I read the rules, I agree with why you guys chose this route. I am still slightly nervous to ask questions now. A lot of people have taken a very snarky approach in some senses. I recently ditched windows and went with linux, but still I am new to webOS and HP hardware, and well, linux. I think some of us truly do want to be educated, but still feel nervous to reach out to the community, since some people seem less than willing to help, and I dont want anyone to be a jerk, or question my level of commitment to helping with the testing process. I will however, keep on learning and trying my best to be a responsible beta tester. I reached out in some PM to some other memebers for help, so hopefully I wont get dissed. lol
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

mistermojorizin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vella_ View Post
    I read the rules, I agree with why you guys chose this route. I am still slightly nervous to ask questions now. A lot of people have taken a very snarky approach in some senses. I recently ditched windows and went with linux, but still I am new to webOS and HP hardware, and well, linux. I think some of us truly do want to be educated, but still feel nervous to reach out to the community, since some people seem less than willing to help, and I dont want anyone to be a jerk, or question my level of commitment to helping with the testing process. I will however, keep on learning and trying my best to be a responsible beta tester. I reached out in some PM to some other memebers for help, so hopefully I wont get dissed. lol
    this has been my experience as well. but i'm the type where i don't care and i'll ask questions till i learn what i need to learn despite the social pressure to pretend like you know it all. but yes some of the responses have had attitude which is completely uncalled for. we were all beginners once.
    vella_ likes this.
    I have come a long way, and after reading the rules, I feel I know enough to do what would be needed to troubleshoot, ect..

I am however new to internalz pro. Iv been reading alot on here about the new feeds, and internalz got brought up, Id like to know how about putting the files in through there. I know how to run the commands through excutah, I kinda want to know how internalz pro would do it. I just want to know. No attitude, or questions why, I just asked another member on here about it, hopefully he wont flame me.

Iv only ran across a handful of real winners on here. Remind me of the IT guy skit on SNL from back in the day. ''MOVE!''
    Last edited by vella_; 09/19/2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.

It's a shame that you have come to feel that way, as you obviously have the right level of conscious personal responsibility and attitude to be a good beta tester.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    this has been my experience as well. but i'm the type where i don't care and i'll ask questions till i learn what i need to learn despite the social pressure to pretend like you know it all. but yes some of the responses have had attitude which is completely uncalled for. we were all beginners once.
    I'm sure you consider at least one of my responses in another thread to be in that category

What folks need to realise is that this is a community that has been operating well for over two years, and has built up a body of community knowledge over that time where new folks come in at a low rate and the community can easily handle the task of welcoming, including and educating new members.

What has happened over the last two months due to the HP announcement and TouchPad firesale is analogous to having a huge crowd of rowdy outsiders gate-crashing a funeral, yelling out what an ***** the dead guy was, and asking questions about how the coffin is built.

Whilst there is no excuse for unreasonable responses to well-researched questions, those asking the questions do need to consider what impact this huge influx of new people (most of whom have absolutely no exposure to webOS previously) has had on the patience of those who are answering the questions ...

-- Rod
    fxspec06 and Mr._Happy like this.
    To be clear, the intent is not to put a barrier in front of those who want to participate in beta testing, but rather to make sure that those people make an educated and conscious decision whether they should be doing so or not.

Education, not segregation.

-- Rod
    I see. Education is a wonderful idea! Less stress for everybody.

It's a shame that you have come to feel that way, as you obviously have the right level of conscious personal responsibility and attitude to be a good beta tester.

-- Rod
    Questions are always welcome here. However, I would ask as a member that when asking a question, please do a quick search before you ask, and at least show some effort and prior knowledge to the problem before you ask. My time is valuable, just like everyone else's. I'm not trying to say that some questions don't deserve to be answered, just that, IMO, more would be willing to answer a question that has been well thought out, opposed to a 5 word question. If you invest time in asking, someone will invest time in answering. Like everything in life, it is a two way street.

I'm sure you consider at least one of my responses in another thread to be in that category

What folks need to realise is that this is a community that has been operating well for over two years, and has built up a body of community knowledge over that time where new folks come in at a low rate and the community can easily handle the task of welcoming, including and educating new members.

What has happened over the last two months due to the HP announcement and TouchPad firesale is analogous to having a huge crowd of rowdy outsiders gate-crashing a funeral, yelling out what an ***** the dead guy was, and asking questions about how the coffin is built.

Whilst there is no excuse for unreasonable responses to well-researched questions, those asking the questions do need to consider what impact this huge influx of new people (most of whom have absolutely no exposure to webOS previously) has had on the patience of those who are answering the questions ...

-- Rod
    Great analogy.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast