Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Sigh. One of the expectations of beta testers (which anyone who is seeing Preware 1.8.3 is at this point in time, since it is only in the testing feeds) is to completely read all the documentation before doing anything.

You will note that the Q&A section at the end of testing.preware.org explains just about every question asked in this thread,

If you did not read that far on testing.preware.org then you should really reconsider whether you are an effective beta tester or not.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Willard likes this.
    I accidental made myself alpha-tester instead of beta-tester. There should be an option to switch from alpha to beta-channel. At the moment you can only switch by uninstalling Preware, deleting the config-files and reinstalling everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    I accidental made myself alpha-tester instead of beta-tester. There should be an option to switch from alpha to beta-channel. At the moment you can only switch by uninstalling Preware, deleting the config-files and reinstalling everything.
    Rename the file in the preferences directory, then swipe to delete the alpha feeds.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You will note that the Q&A section at the end of testing.preware.org explains just about every question asked in this thread,
    I disagree. There's nowhere said that you need to add those original feeds (those which aren't "allowed to be used" anymore) again to get chance to update Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arranger View Post
    I disagree. There's nowhere said that you need to add those original feeds (those which aren't "allowed to be used" anymore) again to get chance to update Preware.
    The only way you saw Preware 1.8.3 was if those feeds were already enabled. Nowhere in the instructions did it say to disable them before updating to Preware 1.8.3. Therefore they would have continued to be enabled after installing Preware 1.7.5 with WOSQI and would have presented Preware 1.8.3 as an update. Where did your experience deviate from this?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    I've updated testing.preware.org with instructions to disable alpha and beta testing.

-- Rod
    Preware 1.8.3 is now in the public feeds, and the transition to the new feeds is complete.

-- Rod
    I've read the rules, but I still have a few questions before I proceed. When you uninstall Preware does it also uninstall the patches? If not, then do the installed patches show up as installed again once you update. Thanks for your help.
    No
    Yes
    i've jumped through all the new hoops and now i've got 4 alpha and 4 beta feeds, the old 3 testing feeds are gone and now none of 3 test kernels are showing up. Should I bring the 3 old testing feeds back as well?

2nd question - on the wiki it said that there were some packages from testing feeds that new users of touchpad were instructed to install. I've followed all the guides and I didn't install any testing packages, just the kernel. So my question is which packages is the wiki referring to that newbees were instructed to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCaptivate View Post
    I've read the rules, but I still have a few questions before I proceed. When you uninstall Preware does it also uninstall the patches? If not, then do the installed patches show up as installed again once you update. Thanks for your help.
    NO. Removing Preware, DOES NOT remove the patches or anything else installed via Preware.
    YES. Everything listed as installed in Preware now, will still show as installed when you reinstall Preware.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    So my question is which packages is the wiki referring to that newbees were instructed to install?
    Actually, I think whole idea of this excercise of changing from the 'testing feeds' to 'alpha' and 'beta' feeds, is that newbies hould not really be dabbling with these. Atleast not until they have a better handle on Homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Actually, I think whole idea of this excercise of changing from the 'testing feeds' to 'alpha' and 'beta' feeds, is that newbies hould not really be dabbling with these. Atleast not until they have a better handle on Homebrew.
    yes exactly. one of the reasons newbies are on there, according to the wiki, are because some of the guides for getting started with a TP instructed them to do so to install a certain package(s) that is/are now not in testing feeds anymore. I've read a ton of those guides. I did not see any instructing installation of testing feed packages. So my question is did I miss something or is the wiki wrong (about those guides)?

Also, any input about my 1st question? Do I need to install the old feeds again to get updates to the testing kernels which are not showing up anymore with the new feeds enabled?
    I followed the instructions and it worked like a charm! You guys are great! I have not played around like this since I got my first windows smart phone years ago. (Samsung Blackjack) It is great to have a site like this to be able to setup a device the way it supposed to be. The Touchpad kicks ****.
    yes exactly. one of the reasons newbies are on there, according to the wiki, are because some of the guides for getting started with a TP instructed them to do so to install a certain package(s) that is/are now not in testing feeds anymore. I've read a ton of those guides. I did not see any instructing installation of testing feed packages. So my question is did I miss something or is the wiki wrong (about those guides)?
    Part of the problem and thus reason for these changes in feeds, are these "guides" posted all over the place. Most of these 'guides', neither gave the due credit, nor pointed to the correct instructions and conditions for using the 'testing' feeds.
    Also, any input about my 1st question? Do I need to install the old feeds again to get updates to the testing kernels which are not showing up anymore with the new feeds enabled?
    There are no "testing" feeds anymore. They have been replaced with the 'alpha' and 'beta' feeds.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/18/2011 at 01:42 AM.

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Question: I had the testing feeds on (webos-testing-all and webos-testing-armv7). Turning them off, I still see the Preware update to 1.8.3. I also still see UberKernel.

I don't plan to load any alpha or beta items.

Can I just install 1.8.3 without re-installing Preware, with the understanding that I will not be able to get the new testing feeds? Or is there other complications?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Question: I had the testing feeds on (webos-testing-all and webos-testing-armv7). Turning them off, I still see the Preware update to 1.8.3. I also still see UberKernel.

I don't plan to load any alpha or beta items.

Can I just install 1.8.3 without re-installing Preware, with the understanding that I will not be able to get the new testing feeds?
    Absolutely, and that is in fact what the majority of people *SHOULD* do. There are far too many people using the testing feeds who are not actually actively testing anything.

I have added "How to only use safe stable feeds" to the wiki page just for this common case.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/18/2011 at 02:05 AM.
    working great. Guys read all the instructions line by line. if you dont know how to get this back on, theres a reason, read read read.... I been having the new kernels on preware, but im not ready to test yet, maybe in a few weeks ill be brave enough to overclock.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Absolutely, and that is in fact what the majority of people *SHOULD* do. Far too many people using the testing feeds who are not actually actively testing anything.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod!

I only had those feeds to see what was going on, not to actually test, so this is a big relief. I will re-install Preware when necessary perhaps someday, but for now, I can save the trouble. Nice.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    The only way you saw Preware 1.8.3 was if those feeds were already enabled.
    -- Rod
    Yeah, but even I had those feeds enabled, they were deleted after I reinstalled Preware. Should those have been stayed untouchable? If so, that didn't happen on me. Don't know why Anyway, I probably would have tried to add those feeds again, if I has known that the 1.7.5 still accepts 'the original feeds' (yeah, I admit that I didn't read the changelog of the Preware earlier...)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast