Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    This Thread is for feedback on F15 Eagle kernel. This is not a "How-To thread", this is for serious testers only. Spamming the thread with irrelevance will most likely get you flamed by someone.

Kernels are available. Check your local neighborhood alpha testing feed.

When posting problems or bugs please specify kernel name and version.

This kernel is ever changing and may sometimes not boot.

Basic guidelines for install:

• You know how to doctor
    • You have some kind of idea how to do a memboot.
    • You know something about Linux, not necessarily a guru.
    • You can do basic debugging in case of crash or hang.
    • You have a strong command of how to use a webOS device.

After installing kernel, do a full power off.

Features in common codebase:

• 1.9GHz
    • Selectable Full-time dual core
    • BFQ
    • SIO
    • NFS & CIFS
    • EXT4
    • Power saver mode
    • debugging code left in (on purpose)
    • Numerous patches for performance

All bug reports should be qualified by running CLI commands to determine it is a kernel problem and not a UI problem. All complaints or crying with no CLI paste will be ignored!

Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Memboot recovery kernel: TouchPad webOS 3.0.2 stock kernel

How to memboot after finding out your device wears pink underwear:

Put your device into recovery mode.

Newer versions of the SDK will say "HP webOS" in the directory name instead of "Palm".

Run novacom:
    Linux:

Code:
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp
    Windows:

Code:
    cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp
    Mac: (Contributed by sd_matto)

Code:

1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path
    2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
    3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
    4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
    5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp"
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 09/18/2011 at 10:10 AM.
    Live free or DIE!
    Just wanted to give my thanks to the dev, I've been running F15C 3.0.2-53 for two days (uberkernel upgrade) with no issues. I saw -55 came out, anyone update? Comments?
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    Ill give it a try this weekend. It was a usage shift for me. I had it at 1.9 and the second CPU never kicked on. I've been using F4 at 1.5 for a bit so I'm used to that.

But seeing the second CPU never turn on just means the TP didn't need it anyway.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
    Ill give it a try this weekend. It was a usage shift for me. I had it at 1.9 and the second CPU never kicked on. I've been using F4 at 1.5 for a bit so I'm used to that.

But seeing the second CPU never turn on just means the TP didn't need it anyway.
    Always do a full power off when installing F15.... to get 2nd core to kick in, run a Sunspider.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Always do a full power off when installing F15.... to get 2nd core to kick in, run a Sunspider.
    Will do.

The second core will kick in when needed anyway right? without the Sunspider?
    Quote Originally Posted by verity View Post
    Just wanted to give my thanks to the dev, I've been running F15C 3.0.2-53 for two days (uberkernel upgrade) with no issues. I saw -55 came out, anyone update? Comments?
    No problems w/-55 here @ 1.7 using 'noop', 'westwood' & sampling rate of 0.01. Very nice.
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    I have noticed opening govnah it will say na on the second core for a few seconds then go to 0
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    no matter what I do, spider included, I can't get the srcond CPU to fire up. And I get that darn error when trying to change settings. About writing to scaling
  9.    #9  
    no matter what I do, spider included, I can't get the srcond CPU to fire up. And I get that darn error when trying to change settings. About writing to scaling
    Obviously you didnt read the OP and the description on the package when you installed it.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    Obviously you didnt read the OP and the description on the package when you installed it.
    sorry buddy. You just said use spider and I'd see it fire up.
  11.    #11  
    All issues with Govnah giving errors should report that in the Govnah thread. This kernel will work fine without it.
    Live free or DIE!
  12.    #12  
    sorry buddy. You just said use spider and I'd see it fire up.
    Power off the TP, then boot.

Sorry buddy.

in 3 places I said dont report core 2 problems and you decide to report a problem which isnt a problem.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    All issues with Govnah giving errors should report that in the Govnah thread. This kernel will work fine without it.
    understood. Didn't know there was another way to control and monitor outside using govnah
    For the sake of this thread, please, please, please. please ......read and understand ALL parts of the Post #1!

Thanks!
    Just wanted to make a comment.

Been using 1.7ghz cleanly. Switched over from phantom F4 (was running dual 1.8ghz) and far as I can tell everything seems to run just as smoothly and my battery life seems to have gained roughly an hour or so of use over the day. Tried to run 1.9ghz but it turns out my touchpad < chuck norris. Instant freeze when I attempt it, reboot becomes necessary.

Either way, she's screaming along at 1.7 or 1.8ghz with no issues and I honestly can't complain. Haven't noticed any glaring issues, far as I can tell this kernel is rock-solid. Beautiful work.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
  16.    #16  
    I have moved F15 instead the Alpha testing feed. Which means more sporadic updates.

I am also now going to be playing with different ways to provide fulltime dual-core, apart from what F4 provides.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    playing around = f15 not usable for me. thought for a second you were proving a point gain with 59's "strict dualcore" change.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    playing around = f15 not usable for me. thought for a second you were proving a point gain with 59's "strict dualcore" change.
    well, with the split of the feeds I can work on less-than-desirable kernels that change by the day, instead of touching a more stable kernel in the beta feed.

kernels in the Alpha feed may not necessarily even boot sometimes.
    Live free or DIE!
    Govnah has lost all control over cpu speeds now. just sits and does nothing. guess i should learn how to use sysfs then. Any recommendations? I wanted to toy with 1.9GHz again

3.0.2-59, btw
    Last edited by ghostinator; 09/17/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    ^^^
    same issue for me.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast