Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    ok, thanks.

What version of Govnah are you running?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osdaf974abqo View Post
    Just wanted to give my thanks to the dev, I've been running F15C 3.0.2-53 for two days (uberkernel upgrade) with no issues. I saw -55 came out, anyone update? Comments?
    http://forums.precentral.net/3148805-post2.html

yes, I have read it thoroughly. I just thought it was adequately described above by eblade (I'm also in bed with the TP). And I've also not seen any change in performance. When it crops up again I'll fully describe the settings in govnah, etc.

edit: I'm not saying, "I'm freaking out that my tp idles with c1@192 and c2@0," I'm saying that even with turbo mode enabled and under full load cpu2 doesn't budge, regardless of any change in settings, and that it doesn't report correctly again until I perform a full restart. I am not sure, however, what set of circumstances triggers the condition. I will report back when it resurfaces.
    Mine occured immediately after putting it on z touchstone, when it went to N/A. Any further attempts to mess with CPU parameters resulted in error that the directories needed in /proc were not there. Same happens if I turn off turbo mode and wait a while, except it reports 0 instead of NA. If I leave turbo mode on, for the most part, it seems good, except that one time it glitched.

Curious question about the CPU speed governor if any one has some opinions. . What settings would I look into adjusting if I wanted it to actually step upwards, instead of switching basically between 192 and 1.7g ? It seems like a single tap on the screen shouldn't result in it jumping to full load and then dropping immediately back to idle.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Mine occured immediately after putting it on z touchstone, when it went to N/A. Any further attempts to mess with CPU parameters resulted in error that the directories needed in /proc were not there. Same happens if I turn off turbo mode and wait a while, except it reports 0 instead of NA. If I leave turbo mode on, for the most part, it seems good, except that one time it glitched.

Curious question about the CPU speed governor if any one has some opinions. . What settings would I look into adjusting if I wanted it to actually step upwards, instead of switching basically between 192 and 1.7g ? It seems like a single tap on the screen shouldn't result in it jumping to full load and then dropping immediately back to idle.

Agreed, if turbo mode is off, cpu2 will appear to be stuck at 0; if it's on it'll show N/A. It also coincides with the "unable to open /sys/devices..." error that occurs when trying to change govnah advanced profile settings. I can't figure out when it happens though. It appears to be random.
    Never construe anything I ever say as legal advice. Never. Instead, consult a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction, which means someone other than me.
    oh, and the governor setting you're looking for is "conservative" instead of ondemand
    Never construe anything I ever say as legal advice. Never. Instead, consult a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction, which means someone other than me.
  7.    #107  
    After all those posts, I still have not seen any logs, or even steps to reproduce.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    fwiw - i've been living with the 2nd core reporting N/A issue for weeks. only a reboot gets it out of this funk. seems as though inactivity always brings about this condition.

i figure sooner or later unixpsycho/rwhitby will figure it out, so i continue to patiently wait. no big deal.
    After all those posts, I still have not seen any logs, or even steps to reproduce.
    which logs do we want? I'll be happy to try to repro when I'm not actively working.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    fwiw - i've been living with the 2nd core reporting N/A issue for weeks. only a reboot gets it out of this funk. seems as though inactivity always brings about this condition.

i figure sooner or later unixpsycho/rwhitby will figure it out, so i continue to patiently wait. no big deal.
    Nice, so you are assuming that we are going to read everyone's mind and fix something we can magically exhume out of thin air?
    Live free or DIE!
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    which logs do we want? I'll be happy to try to repro when I'm not actively working.

kernel buffer (dmesg) when it happens.
    govnah profile
    steps to reproduce the problem
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    L2 is geek talk amongst CPU internals. that's like trying to document every param output from "sysctl -a". Some things should be left "undocumented"

At least this is in theory. I tested it by having some outrageous overclock on my TP to make it hang. But mine doesnt hang with the settings I had before. So some feedback would help.
    Unixpsycho, have been running F15C-80 and Govnah 1.2.3 this week after ~ month away; went straight to 1.89GHz, SIO, Westwood and upthreshold at 65%. Am pleased to report that L2_Boost does <not> result in a hang. It doesn't change the value in Govnah to a 1 either, but that doesn't really matter... Wireless N with Westwood works better than standard kernel (range & fewer drops). Temperature range remains between 36-40.

- Core2 has <never> reported 0 or N/A in Govnah (wouldn't be an issue to me if it did.
    Core idling is, after all, a feature)
    - No Wi-Fi drops
    - No random re-boots
    - battery consumption actually appears to be on par if not lower than 3.04 stock (????)
    - Performance, Performance, Performance!!!
    Sunspider: 2286ms, 2382ms
    Lithium HD: 77, 77, 72

The only oddity (I can't bring myself to call it an "issue"), is that periodically the ***** ripple will show up very boldly in an area of the screen that I have not touched (no bluetooth keyboard for me). For example, in Govnah, just updated Tweaks; upon seeing the Application Updated message, the ***** ripple shows up boldly over the "OK" even though I haven't touched the screen. Doesn't happen consistently, and has happened in more than one app.

If you have any troubleshooting things you'd like me to do, let me know.

Aside from that one minutiae item, I am VERY impressed with the performance characteristics and smoothness. Are there any additionally amusing things that it would help for me to try to really push the envelope? After all, this is Alpha... and I have yet to bonk... I have read the rules and then some; note that while I have the attitude, my Linux Kung-** skills are weak, so may require some level of direction.

Keep up the great work!
    Is it possible to leave l2_boost and power_saver on after a reboot? It's a great kernel, I'm having no issues Good work!
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by dancom96 View Post
    Is it possible to leave l2_boost and power_saver on after a reboot? It's a great kernel, I'm having no issues Good work!
    You'll have to make an upstart script to make it stick at boot for now. Or you can bribe oil and rwhitby in the Govnah thread to make it save it in the Govnah profile.
    Live free or DIE!
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by horseybob View Post
    Aside from that one minutiae item, I am VERY impressed with the performance characteristics and smoothness. Are there any additionally amusing things that it would help for me to try to really push the envelope? After all, this is Alpha... and I have yet to bonk... I have read the rules and then some; note that while I have the attitude, my Linux Kung-** skills are weak, so may require some level of direction.
    You are among the few that can run at 1.89GHz *and* L2 boost . You are already at the envelope. The only thing that is left is to play with voltages, from a user perspective.
    Live free or DIE!
    You'll have to make an upstart script to make it stick at boot for now. Or you can bribe oil and rwhitby in the Govnah thread to make it save it in the Govnah profile.
    It should be saved as part of the override module in Govnah 1.2.3

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    You are among the few that can run at 1.89GHz *and* L2 boost . You are already at the envelope. The only thing that is left is to play with voltages, from a user perspective.
    I have <two> 32 Gb touchpads; one is mine (day 1)... My 1st WebOS device. Ever. Shameful, eh? And I like and support WebOS (I will come out of the closet now... I am an HP employee ( Still!)... Former Sr. Engineer and Unix manager and everything...)

After seeing what I've done with mine, based on what you and Rod and WebOS Internals have done, my wife and daughter just gave me permission to have my way with theirs, too... Will 1st get the 11 year old to go through how to rock her Touchpad... (Yes, my daughter is a budding geekstress). She < loved> how your kernel and some other (undocumented) changes to some config files and what rwhitby has enabled in Govnah has resulted in the fastest posted WebOS ratings to date (snapshot in time, earlier today and flawed as are all benchmarks...)
    Sunspider: 2286.1 ms, 2387.0 ms
    Lithium HD: 77, 77, 72

While a few of the CM7 results are now coming in as a bit faster, it appears to me that those are likely browser related vs. Kernel imho. Ergo, I could care less. Not too interested in Debian, Ubuntu, CM7 or ICS. Given encouragement, willing to try, but I really like what y'all have done with WebOS and support it. I think you can beat 'em.

While my <Linux> Kung-Foo is weak, I long ago started with assembly (upgrade to 16kb RAM was exciting at the time), and stopped about the time that C+ was new... I shall now go forth and research voltages, as I did with I/O scheduling.

Thank you for reinvigorating my inner geek. More to follow... Again, thank you for your <fantastic> work!
    Tikerz and LinuxKoss like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It should be saved as part of the override module in Govnah 1.2.3

-- Rod
    say more about the override module in 1.2.3 pretty please. I've read the rules, and more... whilst having seen nothing about this potentially intriguing feature...
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    interesting twist to the 2nd core govnah reporting N/A issue. after performing the following, for no real good reason, the N/A issue is gone:

* ran EFV
    * ran EPR
    * ran 3.04 doctor

but now, after leaving on dock overnight, both cores are pegged @1.89. flipping turbo calms down core2, but nothing short of reboot calms them both down. message file attached.

Edit: Govnah v1.2.3 F15C-80
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by elopez; 10/22/2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Did F15 get moved to the Alpha feed by any chance? I used F15 kernel almost since I got my TP. I removed it before upgrading to 3.0.4 and have been waiting to see it reappear in my beta-kernel feed, but haven't seen it yet. All I have in the feed is F4 and Uberkernel. Any suggestions?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast