Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Does the noob-friendly version use much more power than the clue-friendly version?

Still sitting on 64 here, will throw 70 on and have a play with some of the tweaks. I had a couple of anxious moments with lockups yesterday but I suspect it was the messaging app having a hernia as opposed to kernel oddness as left for a few seconds it came right again.
    I stayed at v49 after the whole meltdown in the last thread(maybe meltdown isn't the right word when discussing an overclocking kernel ok ok bad humor)

Anyway, decided to get back in on this and loaded the F15C-70. Seems very stable, uses a bit more battery. Nice boost to 87 in Lithium Benchie.

power_saver 1, l2_boost 1
    scheduler: noop
    tcp congestion: westwood
    min freq: 192 MHz
    max freq: 1.836 GHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 65 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    down differential: 3

Ugh I miss the core idle...forget the masses of the uninformed, they would have NASA trying to get to the moon via hot air balloon. Mainly posting just to say YES some of us out here are using F15C, keep up the good work Unix. I said I was going to try the overvoltage last time but just got too busy, maybe soon.
  3.    #63  
    the idle core support might come back since i'm merging the modules into F4.
    Live free or DIE!
    I was so happy when I saw the -71 update. Power_saver works as it should, without a hitch. Thanks so much for this.
    Are power_saver and l2_boost settings supposed to stick after a restart or power off?
    It doesn't appear that they are on my touchpad -71, but this is the first time I've used them so I am inexperienced with how they operate.

Oh and Govnah no longer controls the setting of profiles after enabling l2_boost ... it switches to "unknown" and attempts to activate a saved profile get overridden.
    Can also report massive battery drain with l2_boost enabled.
    Last edited by GeekOutDog; 09/30/2011 at 05:52 PM.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Are power_saver and l2_boost settings supposed to stick after a restart or power off?
    It doesn't appear that they are on my touchpad -71, but this is the first time I've used them so I am inexperienced with how they operate.

Oh and Govnah no longer controls the setting of profiles after enabling l2_boost ... it switches to "unknown" and attempts to activate a saved profile get overridden.
    Can also report massive battery drain with l2_boost enabled.
    Govnah knows nothing about these settings. You will have to make a script to make this perm across reboots, until then.

You should post your concern in the Govnah thread.
    Live free or DIE!
    Well, I'm waiting until you are no longer adding fifty new parameters a week before updating Govnah

-- Rod
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Well, I'm waiting until you are no longer adding fifty new parameters a week before updating Govnah

-- Rod
    Well, gotta start somewhere , now you're way behind.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Govnah knows nothing about these settings. You will have to make a script to make this perm across reboots, until then.

You should post your concern in the Govnah thread.
    So your answer then is that both parameters need to be enabled on each boot and that enabling them breaks Govnah's managing of the kernel. Is that correct?
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    So your answer then is that both parameters need to be enabled on each boot and that enabling them breaks Govnah's managing of the kernel. Is that correct?
    Nothing "breaks". Govnah does not know about the extra parameters, so there is nothing broken.
    Live free or DIE!
    So the fact that Govnah switches from a saved profile to unknown upon enabling that parameter, and will not allow a saved profile to be applied is expected?
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Speaking of adding new parameters, has anyone looked at the new webOSdoctor for the Touchpad 3G/4G (ATT) to see if there are additional parameters/optimizations in there that could be added to this kernel? After all, isn't this webOSdoctor kernel version the only one released by HP that natively runs at 1.5 GHz out of the box (I had seen that the 64GB Touchpad and the 32 GB Touchpad share a common webOSdoctor)?

Of course, I may be speaking out of turn on this . . .
    Just a quick report, -74 is first build I've been able to clock at 1.8 without sudden reboots. Been running at 1.7 but never got it stabilized at 1.8 till now. Very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    Speaking of adding new parameters, has anyone looked at the new webOSdoctor for the Touchpad 3G/4G (ATT) to see if there are additional parameters/optimizations in there that could be added to this kernel?
    I will be doing so next week. I doubt that there are any though.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Love kernel 3.0.2-78 & Govnah 1.2.0.
    It's great to allow one core to turn off rather than waste heat & power.
    Now I will complain about one core turning off, and not coming back on. :-)

Booting with OnDemandTcl 1512 profile I can start up several CPU intensive processes then switch to a conservative profile with power saving enabled. This profile will take the second core down to 0 and back up a few times before setting it to 0 and never bringing it back up.

At this point switching back to OnDemandTcl 1512 or a performance profile will not start the 2nd core again no matter how high the demand. To get the core back requires a reboot. I don't think this is just a problem with Govnah displaying N/A or 0 for the 2nd core. Even though the system files suggest the kernel thinks both cores are still active.

I first noticed the problem while using Govnah. After saving a conservative profile with power saving I tried to save a performance profile and got the error: Unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I uninstalled Govnah, rebooted, then re-installed Govnah after updating to kernel version 78.

I like to use a performance profile while plugged into mains power (and run crypto crackers from distributed.net on spare CPU cycles) and switch to a power saving profile when running on battery. My workaround is to set a performance profile then reboot when I plug into the wall, and accept that I'll only run on one core when I'm on battery and switch to a power saving profile.

F15 & F4 kernels both run stable weeks at a time @ 1.836 GHz on my TouchPad. F15 @ 1.89 GHz causes my TP to reboot or hang every few hours (with standard voltage settings) so I don't run @ that.

I have a 16Gig ext3 for a Debian chroot with KDE Plasma Netbook that runs great on 2 cores @ 1.8GHz. I like all the power I can get without wasting battery when/where it's not needed.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by hughgamble View Post
    After saving a conservative profile with power saving I tried to save a performance profile and got the error: Unable to open /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    That means that the system took the second core offline just as Govnah was trying to change the profile on the second core. Not sure there's much I can do about that, as Govnah explicitly tells the second core to go online immediately before it changes the configuration.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    woooo! Govnah was updated! Now only if I can get more volts for 1.89 and maybe that 1.944 option back. I might recompile my own custom version with it if you don't want to
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    woooo! Govnah was updated! Now only if I can get more volts for 1.89 and maybe that 1.944 option back. I might recompile my own custom version with it if you don't want to
    you're complaining about 54MHz?
    Live free or DIE!
    hughgamble likes this.
    My dnetc crypto crunchers are fairly exclusively CPU intensive (maybe care about the L2 cache speed if I can get that running stable) but most things depend a lot on RAM bandwidth.

Is There a FAQ, or a short description you'd care to give here, on the relationship between CPU speed and the speed CPU can access the RAM bus? i.e. are there CPU speeds that access RAM slower than lower CPU speeds?

I'm starting to wonder now if there are cases that help with cooling more than others. I'm using the HP case/stand, and I'm sure it's just a hot rubber blanket.

Re: F15 kernel, I think L2 chache boost is causing my TP crashes in an otherwise stable 1.836GHz configuration. Testing is ongoing, but battery temp is up to 39C and more cooling couldn't hurt.
    you know me

Quote Originally Posted by hughgamble View Post

Re: F15 kernel, I think L2 chache boost is causing my TP crashes in an otherwise stable 1.836GHz configuration. Testing is ongoing, but battery temp is up to 39C and more cooling couldn't hurt.
    anything I add to the L2 cache boost makes my tp freeze, one time the screen colors inverted then froze. I decided to leave it alone
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast