Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    kernels in the Alpha feed may not necessarily even boot sometimes.
    I have a feeling we are going to experience some oddball kernel builds just to keep us on our toes and make sure we know how to memboot the stock kernel
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    I have a feeling we are going to experience some oddball kernel builds just to keep us on our toes and make sure we know how to memboot the stock kernel
    I wont do it on purpose . Sometimes I just like to throw a build out there in a hurry. Or i dont fully test things or regression test and the simplest things are broken.

there might be multiple builds in 1 day. The Alpha builds will have to newest things in them, but be prepared for wonky things.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    61 is good for me now. both cores are remaining active as well. looks good so far.

on a side note. i have 8 tps in the house, 1 for every family member. out of the 8, 1 can successfully run 1.94. i'll be taking possession of this mighty tp.
    Prob a dumb question(s) (but I did read the OP!). Is this in the alpha or beta testing feed now?

And if I'm running -54, are these good govnah profile settings?
    OnDemandTCL
    SIO
    WESTWOOD

Also, I can no longer see a -55 update... I'm guessing do this new preware update? (but there is no way in hell I am uninstalling preware)
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    61 continues to perform very well. the strict dualcore changes certainly will silence all the core1 complaints.
    I'm tempted to jump back in this kernel now. Elopez, since you have so many GPS un your family it would be awesome to do a comparison video of the stock vs. various kernels to see what the difference really looks like in everyday use.
    Benchmarking all kernels again at all speeds, using lithium benchmark found in the app catalog. F15C @ 1.8GHz on performance scored a 83!!

Ill post an updated touchpad benchmarking thread when im done
    Last edited by ghostinator; 09/18/2011 at 02:50 PM.
    toddpart likes this.
    so if F15 has dual core now, what's the difference between that and F4. I thought the whole point of F4 was dual core. I also notice F4 is in the beta and F15 is in the alpha. Surprisingly uberkernel is in beta now, i thought i was out of beta for a long time now.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    so if F15 has dual core now, what's the difference between that and F4. I thought the whole point of F4 was dual core. I also notice F4 is in the beta and F15 is in the alpha. Surprisingly uberkernel is in beta now, i thought i was out of beta for a long time now.
    That is the difference. F15 will have a lot more changes than the more stable F4, F15 may not even boot with some builds. Hence why it is in alpha feed.

F15 *should* be faster than F4, but F4 will end up having most of F15's patches when they stabilize.
    Live free or DIE!
    F15 *should* be faster than F4, but F4 will end up having most of F15's patches when they stabilize.
    In my last set of benchmarks with nBench and webOSMark the results were close but i believe F15C came out on top in most cases.

BTW, I'm getting really weird results with F15C @ 1.118 GHz.. Palm Default is out scoring it significantly.. For instance.. (lower is faster) Palm default Average of 5 runs @ 1.118ghz = 116.75, F15C = 133. I even reinstalled the palm default, rebooted then reinstalled f15c, reboot, set cpu freq.. benched... it's weird.

But i guess the advantage of F15C isn't at 1.118Ghz right? :P

Ok after a few more reboots im getting reasonable numbers, 128,117,118,118.
    Last edited by ghostinator; 09/18/2011 at 03:42 PM.
    I think you need to realise that certain different versions of a kernel may be in alpha, beta and stable all at the same time.

Have people forgotten what alpha and beta actually mean?

-- Rod
    That is the difference. F15 will have a lot more changes than the more stable F4, F15 may not even boot with some builds. Hence why it is in alpha feed.

thanks that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think you need to realise that certain different versions of a kernel may be in alpha, beta and stable all at the same time.

Have people forgotten what alpha and beta actually mean?

-- Rod
    i know the meaning of those terms, however I did not know that F15 and F4 are different versions of the same kernel.

here are the relevant facts: first F15 came out, then F4 came out with the main feature being that it does dual core, then F15 got updated to dual core recently, then the feeds got seperated into alpha and beta.

i think it is reasonable for me to ask why one is in alpha and the other in bet and UnixPsycho answered my question. Then you implied that they were different versions of the same kernal. I though they were different kernels and was surprised why the one that had been out longer was still in alpha and the newer one had already moved to beta.
    i know the meaning of those terms, however I did not know that F15 and F4 are different versions of the same kernel.

here are the relevant facts: first F15 came out, then F4 came out with the main feature being that it does dual core, then F15 got updated to dual core recently, then the feeds got seperated into alpha and beta.

i think it is reasonable for me to ask why one is in alpha and the other in bet and UnixPsycho answered my question. Then you implied that they were different versions of the same kernal. I though they were different kernels and was surprised why the one that had been out longer was still in alpha and the newer one had already moved to beta.
    F15 and F4 are not different versions of the same kernel. Each of them has different versions themselves, as does the UberKernel have different versions.

So it will not be unusual for there to be both an alpha version and a beta version of one single kernel in the feeds.

Note that all of the kernels come from the same overall team, and features migrate between the different experimental kernels and the stable kernels as they mature. In fact some kernels may go from beta back to alpha, or stable back to beta, as new experimental features are added or changed.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/18/2011 at 10:11 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    All the kernels have always been dual core.

This is the source of a lot of misinformation, and it's a pity that it is still being misinterpreted.

Now, whether a particular kernel *forces* both cores on all the time, or whether it allows the kernel and/or userspace controls to only bring the second core online as need, is a differentiator between the kernels.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    All the kernels have always been dual core.

This is the source of a lot of misinformation, and it's a pity that it is still being misinterpreted.

Now, whether a particular kernel *forces* both cores on all the time, or whether it allows the kernel and/or userspace controls to only bring the second core online as need, is a differentiator between the kernels.

-- Rod
    calm down, lol

i meant full time dual core...it's in the release notes, it's even called "turbo mode" on F4 and can be edited through sysfs...and it's in the release notes of the later releases of F15

and how you said that the "differentiator" well now they are both full time dual core it seems which was why asked the initial question of, "what's the difference now?"
    i meant full time dual core...it's in the release notes, it's even called "turbo mode" on F4 and can be edited through sysfs...and it's in the release notes of the later releases of F15

and how you said that the "differentiator" well now they are both full time dual core it seems which was why asked the initial question of, "what's the difference now?"
    Well, certain versions of them now have both cores forced on together. Certain earlier versions do not. And there's no guarantee that the next version of either will still have that feature. That's the nature of the experimental kernels. Making generalisations about them is fraught with inaccuracy, because they (especially those in the alpha feeds) are being used to dynamically test various things. What is in an alpha feed kernel today may not be there tomorrow.

-- Rod
  17.    #37  
    Quote: Note that all of the kernels come from the same overall team, and features migrate between the different experimental kernals and the stable kernels as they mature. In fact some kernels may go from beta back to alpha, or stable back to beta, as new experimental features are added or changed.

Did rwhitby just say that word? I must be seeing things?
    Live free or DIE!
    mistermojorizin likes this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote: Note that all of the kernels come from the same overall team, and features migrate between the different experimental kernals and the stable kernels as they mature. In fact some kernels may go from beta back to alpha, or stable back to beta, as new experimental features are added or changed.

He done goofed. So is this possible to run on a pre 2 lol >.> or are you not even gonna make a build for one.
    I'm sure you're misteaken (sic), look again

-- Rod
    3.0.2-62 breaks my touchpad - it will get past the scrolling log text and the glowing HP logo appears and then it loops back to the start of the boot process. I've not been able to spot what the last log message is. Previous version was fine. Membooted it after some fiddling and playing with F4 now (version 3.0.2-60, no problems).

Note my touchpad immediately hangs if clocked above 1.7GHz (at stock voltages at least), so possibly it doesn't play well with the new L2 overclock.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast