Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 138
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    This Thread is for feedback on F4 Phantom kernel This is not a "How-To thread", this is for serious testers only. Spamming the thread with irrelevance will most likely get you flamed by someone.

    Kernels are available. Check your local neighborhood testing feed.

    When posting problems or bugs please specify kernel name and version.

    Basic guidelines for install:

    • You know how to doctor
    • You have some kind of idea how to do a memboot.
    • You know something about Linux, not necessarily a guru.
    • You can do basic debugging in case of crash or hang.
    • You have a strong command of how to use a webOS device.


    Features in common codebase:

    • 1.8GHz
    • Full-time dual core
    • BFQ
    • SIO
    • V(R)
    • ATA o/ Ethernet
    • iSCSI
    • NFS & CIFS
    • EXT4
    • Power saver mode
    • debugging code left in (on purpose)


    All bug reports should be qualified by running CLI commands to determine it is a kernel problem and not a UI problem. All complaints or crying with no CLI paste will be ignored!


    Recovery: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

    Memboot recovery kernel: TouchPad webOS 3.0.2 stock kernel

    How to memboot after finding out your device wears pink underwear:

    Put your device into recovery mode.

    Newer versions of the SDK will say "HP webOS" in the directory name instead of "Palm".

    Run novacom:
    Linux:

    Code:
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp
    Windows:

    Code:
    cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp
    Mac: (Contributed by sd_matto)

    Code:
     
    1. Install PalmSDK (and novacom drives therein). This will install the necessary novacom binary (under /opt/nova/bin) and add that to your program path
    2. Download the stock kernel (from links above)
    3. Open Terminal window (under /Applications/Utilities)
    4. Type "cd ~/Downloads" (or other path to your downloaded kernel)
    5. Type "novacom boot mem:// < uImage-3.0.2-tp"
    Last edited by unixpsycho; 09/12/2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Live free or DIE!
    ewalker101 and hakkinen like this.
  2. #2  
    I have been using the F15C kernels for past few weeks, and really enjoyed the battery savings(except for 40... ) I really wanted to play with the override module but it never would load.

    I see in the release notes that you got it working here in Phantom-48, and I indeed see it now. So if I may ask a couple questions...

    I would like to tweak to a more battery friendly atmosphere, you mention power saver as off. I see it is set at 0, in power_saver in override module. To enable I would imagine setting it to 1, but do you need to also change turbo_mode from 1 to 0? Part of me thinks this would stop speed stepping so I would leave it alone at 1, and another part of me that "turbo" would be in opposition to "saver" so 0.

    Second question about override module, vdd seems to have voltages from .813 to 1.45. vdd_min at .8 and vdd_max at 1.6. While I don't see the need to touch any of this at 1.8Ghz, if 1.9 is to be played with some day, where can I see the voltage vs freq tables? White paper for the CPU? Often times with desktop/laptop CPU overclocking it's necessary to shift the entire table up slightly in voltage for a given multiplier, rather then just the max voltage. Any info would be highly appreciated, and thanks for the hard work.

    Just installed Phantom and hour ago, like to try iSCSI stuff too, I'll give some feedback as I play over the next few days.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
    I have been using the F15C kernels for past few weeks, and really enjoyed the battery savings(except for 40... ) I really wanted to play with the override module but it never would load.

    I see in the release notes that you got it working here in Phantom-48, and I indeed see it now. So if I may ask a couple questions...

    I would like to tweak to a more battery friendly atmosphere, you mention power saver as off. I see it is set at 0, in power_saver in override module. To enable I would imagine setting it to 1, but do you need to also change turbo_mode from 1 to 0? Part of me thinks this would stop speed stepping so I would leave it alone at 1, and another part of me that "turbo" would be in opposition to "saver" so 0.

    Second question about override module, vdd seems to have voltages from .813 to 1.45. vdd_min at .8 and vdd_max at 1.6. While I don't see the need to touch any of this at 1.8Ghz, if 1.9 is to be played with some day, where can I see the voltage vs freq tables? White paper for the CPU? Often times with desktop/laptop CPU overclocking it's necessary to shift the entire table up slightly in voltage for a given multiplier, rather then just the max voltage. Any info would be highly appreciated, and thanks for the hard work.

    Just installed Phantom and hour ago, like to try iSCSI stuff too, I'll give some feedback as I play over the next few days.
    My initial thought for power saver mode was to just make sure the 2nd core gets shut off when screen goes off before it goes into suspend.. But I am giving that second thought and may go with have it also toggle off turbo mode as well...but that might defeat the purpose somewhat.

    That listing for "vdd" is the respective in-step table for available freqs. from 192000 to 1836000. I may add the frequency table as well, but seems redundant.
    Live free or DIE!
  4. #4  
    I was running Blackbird on my pre, so I have faith in Unix's test kernels. Just jumped from Uber to F4, so far all is well. I'm running it at 1.7ghz right now.

    I/O is set to VR and I have TCP on Westwood. Any recomendations on what these should be set to? I read somewhere that westwood was best for wifi. :shrug:

    Thanks for all the work you do Unix
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    I was running Blackbird on my pre, so I have faith in Unix's test kernels. Just jumped from Uber to F4, so far all is well. I'm running it at 1.7ghz right now.

    I/O is set to VR and I have TCP on Westwood. Any recomendations on what these should be set to? I read somewhere that westwood was best for wifi. :shrug:

    Thanks for all the work you do Unix
    Westwood is a safe bet. Chose what IO scheduler works best for you, depends on workload. BFQ or SIO might be the better choices.
    Live free or DIE!
  6. #6  
    I am running it at 1.8 anyone notice about a 5 sec freeze when going into apps? they open fine but clicks done respond for about 2-5 sec depending... (not all the time either)

    FYI I dont leave ANY cards open most of the time... could be that has something to do with it? thanks

    BTW I like this one the best so far
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by robotech1985 View Post
    I am running it at 1.8 anyone notice about a 5 sec freeze when going into apps? they open fine but clicks done respond for about 2-5 sec depending... (not all the time either)

    FYI I dont leave ANY cards open most of the time... could be that has something to do with it? thanks

    BTW I like this one the best so far
    Well, it can be either 1.8 isnt really working well for you, or try a different IO scheduler.

    There can be a slew of reasons.
    Live free or DIE!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Well, it can be either 1.8 isnt really working well for you, or try a different IO scheduler.

    There can be a slew of reasons.
    ok I will try some of the IO you recommended above.. thanks
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
  9. #9  
    hey psycho. every time my touchpad goes to sleep and i turn it back on it says core 2 is n/a? is this a govnah glitch or something with the phantom kernel shutting off core 2??
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmaster View Post
    hey psycho. every time my touchpad goes to sleep and i turn it back on it says core 2 is n/a? is this a govnah glitch or something with the phantom kernel shutting off core 2??
    Please read the OP before posting.

    Did you try looking at the CLI to see if the core is offline or not?
    Live free or DIE!
  11. #11  
    I also woke up today to my 2nd core saying N/A. Performance seemed slower too. I also couldn't adjust anything in Govnah, it gave me an error saying it couldn't open the cpu scaler or something like that. How do I check the CLI to see if the core is actually still running?

    I poked around a little on google, it looks like this is supposedly a govnah glitch where it doesn't show the 2nd core but it's still there? IDK, it makes me nervous seeing N/A on the 2nd core sot.
    shamsy likes this.
  12. #12  
    Just did a little testing and it looks like even though Govnah is reporting "N/A" the CPU is indeed online.


    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    1
    EDIT: A little more testing showed the following.

    This is after a fresh reboot, Govnah reporting normally.

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max
    _freq
    1836000
    And this is after a sleep when Govnah is reporting "N/A".

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max
    _freq
    cat: can't open '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq': No such file or directory
    Hopefully this helps.

    EDIT 2: Is there any way to tell what frequency the cores are currently running in the CLI? I tried

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor	: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    processor	: 0
    BogoMIPS	: 13.52
    
    processor	: 1
    BogoMIPS	: 13.52
    
    Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 
    CPU implementer	: 0x51
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant	: 0x0
    CPU part	: 0x02d
    CPU revision	: 2
    
    Hardware	: TENDERLOIN
    Revision	: 0000
    Serial		: 0000000000000000
    But I am not sure that is the info I am looking for.
    Last edited by twofiftyeight; 09/02/2011 at 12:54 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    Just did a little testing and it looks like even though Govnah is reporting "N/A" the CPU is indeed online.


    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    1
    Is there any way to tell what frequency the cores are currently running in the CLI? I tried

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor    : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)
    processor    : 0
    BogoMIPS    : 13.52
    
    processor    : 1
    BogoMIPS    : 13.52
    
    Features    : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 
    CPU implementer    : 0x51
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant    : 0x0
    CPU part    : 0x02d
    CPU revision    : 2
    
    Hardware    : TENDERLOIN
    Revision    : 0000
    Serial        : 0000000000000000
    But I am not sure that is the info I am looking for.
    look in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

    X=respective cpu
    Live free or DIE!
  14. #14  
    OK here are the results when Govnah is reporting normally.

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    And here they are when Govnah reports "N/A" for CPU2.


    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    cat: can't open '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq': No such file or directory
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    OK here are the results when Govnah is reporting normally.

    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    And here they are when Govnah reports "N/A" for CPU2.


    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    192000
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    cat: can't open '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq': No such file or directory
    But is it online during that time? you said it was in the previous post.

    What are you doing to trigger this.
    Live free or DIE!
  16. #16  
    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    1
    Yes, still online.

    From a fresh boot Govnah will report normally, both cores appear to be working properly. I close Govnah and let the unit go to sleep for a few minutes. After waking, Govnah will report CPU2 as "N/A" and you are unable to make any changes in Govnah. It will stay like this until the unit is rebooted.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    1
    Yes, still online.

    From a fresh boot Govnah will report normally, both cores appear to be working properly. I close Govnah and let the unit go to sleep for a few minutes. After waking, Govnah will report CPU2 as "N/A" and you are unable to make any changes in Govnah. It will stay like this until the unit is rebooted.
    hmm. I havent seen it happen but I might have an idea. Of course I have to reproduce it to see if I fix it. might take a while.
    Live free or DIE!
  18. #18  
    FWIW it is very consistent for me, it only takes a few minutes to go from boot to Govnah reporting N/A. All that I have to make sure of is that Govnah is closed and that I let the Touchpad go to sleep on its own. If Govnah is left open during sleep it will continue to report normally.

    Here are all of my other settings just in case it has anything to do with the issue.

    Governor: ondemand
    Min Freq: 192 MHz
    Max Freq: 1728 GHz
    Sampling Rate: 0.01 Sec
    Up Threshold: 95%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    Powersave Bias: 0
    I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENO


    On an unrelated note, how exactly does kernel development work. For example, when F4 Phantom is released, is F15C/Warthog no longer worked on? Or are they separate projects?
  19. #19  
    Separate from what I understand
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    FWIW it is very consistent for me, it only takes a few minutes to go from boot to Govnah reporting N/A. All that I have to make sure of is that Govnah is closed and that I let the Touchpad go to sleep on its own. If Govnah is left open during sleep it will continue to report normally.

    Here are all of my other settings just in case it has anything to do with the issue.

    Governor: ondemand
    Min Freq: 192 MHz
    Max Freq: 1728 GHz
    Sampling Rate: 0.01 Sec
    Up Threshold: 95%
    Ignore Nice Load: False
    Powersave Bias: 0
    I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENO


    On an unrelated note, how exactly does kernel development work. For example, when F4 Phantom is released, is F15C/Warthog no longer worked on? Or are they separate projects?
    And you tried this without Govnah at all?

    Those are all seperate projects.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions