Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    ...what do you do with this file to toggle turbo mode on and off?
    check status:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode

turn off:
    echo "0" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode

turn back on:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    webOS is very strict on controlling that 2nd core. you can easily try your example by setting the performance governor. The 2nd core should go offline when demand goes away, but CPU0 stays at full speed. Then you can take your measurements.
    I think I will... guess I should compare F4 @ 1.8 w/ performance governor versus F15 same configuration. Perhaps will test both kernels with a lower minimum clock speed and the ondemand and/or conservative governor. I'm familiar with a bunch of performance benchmarks, but do you know of any reliable/repeatable testing methods for battery life?
    Interestingly, 1.8 with one core reported active on the F15 kernel was drawing more power (as measured by Govnah) than F4.

So I'm abandoning any thought of pursuing that line of thought. I'm currently running F4 with a fairly high minimum speed, conservative governor set to ramp up and slow down rapidly. webosmark scores as high as 1146...
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwintrobe View Post
    check status:

turn off:

turn back on:
    i see these files in internalz pro, but I don't understand how to work with them and check status and turn on and off. from what i've gathered there is some sort of service that does it called sysfs but I have all the feeds in preware turned on and it doesn't come up. I would appreciate any help.

Question 2: is turbo on or off by default?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Interestingly, 1.8 with one core reported active on the F15 kernel was drawing more power (as measured by Govnah) than F4.

So I'm abandoning any thought of pursuing that line of thought. I'm currently running F4 with a fairly high minimum speed, conservative governor set to ramp up and slow down rapidly. webosmark scores as high as 1146...
    what I found with webosmark is that 1) as soon as I run it, it changes my preset % threshold in govenah and 2) it only uses one core. I've compared results from webosmark to browsermark and browqsermark is a much better benchmark IMHO. there are certain changes I would make in govnah that would be immediately reflected in browsermark, but not in webosmark. The best score I've gotten in browsermark so far was 77K.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    i see these files in internalz pro, but I don't understand how to work with them and check status and turn on and off. from what i've gathered there is some sort of service that does it called sysfs but I have all the feeds in preware turned on and it doesn't come up. I would appreciate any help.

Question 2: is turbo on or off by default?
    the best thing to do is to download xserver, xecutah and xterm from preware. Fire up xecutah and start up servers, then hit home, go back to xecutah, and start xterm. After that type or paste those commands on the command line
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I updated F15C kernal today and after restarting my touchpad. I tried opening one of the app and it has shutdown on me.

power button not working, cant turn it on.

battery was full. any Idea how do I resolve this issue?
    Can you turn off the boot text?
    The boot text is there to remind you that you you are using an alpha test kernel and not a stable kernel like Uber. As such you cannot turn it off.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Bazirker likes this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    check status:

turn off:

turn back on:
    Is there place where I can put this in a startup file? I'm used to putting startup stuff in /etc/rc.local but it's not implemented. Any other options?
    Last edited by larizzo; 09/07/2011 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by larizzo View Post
    Is there place where I can put this in a startup file?
    one way to turn turbo_mode off at startup:

1. make /etc/init.d/turbo.sh, turbo.sh script as follows:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -e /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode ]; then
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode
    fi

2. make /etc/event.d/turbo, turbo file for Upstart as follows:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped mountall
    exec /etc/init.d/turbo.sh
    one way to turn turbo_mode off at startup:

1. make /etc/init.d/turbo.sh, turbo.sh script as follows:
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -e /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode ]; then
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode
    fi

2. make /etc/event.d/turbo, turbo file for Upstart as follows:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    start on stopped mountall
    exec /etc/init.d/turbo.sh
    Do I have to make these in a stand alone text editor and move them with Internalz, or is there a way to mimic the escape and ctrl keys so vi can be used in Xterm? I <3 vi
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyomonster View Post
    Do I have to make these in a stand alone text editor and move them with Internalz, or is there a way to mimic the escape and ctrl keys so vi can be used in Xterm? I <3 vi
    The way I did it... not the best but the only way I could think of doing it to get a good file.

In xterm:

echo "if [ -e /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode ]; then" > turbo.sh
    echo "echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode" >> turbo.sh
    echo "fi" >> turbo.sh
    chmod 755 turbo.sh

and same for the other script.

Make sure you use >> for the second commands or you will overwrite the file. > = overwrite >> = append.
    Hi UnixPsycho,

I just wanted to thank you for all of your hard work and for giving us all the opportunity to test these new Kernels. You made it very interesting to be a touchpad owner. I have many friends that own other tablets and they are all very jealous that they can do half to the things that the touchpads are capable of doing.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to more kernel updates.

Thanks,
    Ed
    The way I did it... not the best but the only way I could think of doing it to get a good file.

In xterm:

echo "if [ -e /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode ]; then" > turbo.sh
    echo "echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override/turbo_mode" >> turbo.sh
    echo "fi" >> turbo.sh
    chmod 755 turbo.sh

and same for the other script.

Make sure you use >> for the second commands or you will overwrite the file. > = overwrite >> = append.
    ah, yeah. that's not a bad idea. dunno why i didn't think about that. thanks for the tip!
    running F15C-v54, second core doesn't read "N/A" but permanently stuck on "0" MHz coming back from standby and i think that it is offline:

Code:
    root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online
    root@HPTouchPad:/#
    root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    attempts to change cpu setting in Govnah brought back the "unable to open/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq..." errors:

Code:
    root@HPTouchPad:/# ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:37 cpufreq
    drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 cpuidle
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Sep 10 23:01 online
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:37 rq-stats
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 sleep-stats
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 topology
    root@HPTouchPad:/# ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1
    ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:55 cpuidle
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Sep 10 22:37 online
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:55 sleep-stats
    otherwise stable OC 192/1836 ondemand (1944 no go)
    Hi all, great forum and I'll get straight to the point.

I've been using my 32G TP with stock,uber, and F4 kernels. I've been trying out random free software from the app catalog and some of it either won't install or won't copy from the cryptos to /media/internal to make a backup. (I am assuming the app catalog will disappear without notice at some future point and am making .ipk files from every app i download).

Problem is that I get this msg when copying from an installed location to /media/internal (there are many examples like this):

cp: can't create '/media/internal/com.virtuestudio.pocketweddingalbumfree/images/Alian? ? as.png': Invalid argument

the ? characters are 'boxes' with nothing inside. I think they might be someone's version of ASCII code 127 or 255. and there is indeed a space (or non printable char) after each '?'.

I can't even see this 'Alian' file in the original install folder! However, another file that does copy is named 'marteloUnha.png', which is wrong. I think it should be just 'martelo.png'. (Martelo is spanish for 'hammer', which is what the pic shows).

I am not sure which kernel I used to download/install these, but I think I'm getting into UTF8 trouble somewhere. Is there an easy suggestion for how to 'fix' this, or have I found something worth looking into more carefully??

Thanks

P.S. I have been unable to download the 'KQED' radio app from the app catalog. Install always shows as 'failed'. Could someone else try it and reply if it works for you?
  18.    #58  
    running F15C-v54, second core doesn't read "N/A" but permanently stuck on "0" MHz coming back from standby and i think that it is offline:

Code:
    root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online
    root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
    attempts to change cpu setting in Govnah brought back the "unable to open/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq..." errors:

Code:
    root@HPTouchPad:/# ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:37 cpufreq
    drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 cpuidle
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Sep 10 23:01 online
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:37 rq-stats
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 sleep-stats
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 23:01 topology
    root@HPTouchPad:/# ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1
    ls -l /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1
    drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:55 cpuidle
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          4096 Sep 10 22:37 online
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root             0 Sep 10 22:55 sleep-stats
    otherwise stable OC 192/1836 ondemand (1944 no go)
    Let me know if -56 fixes this. 1.9GHz is a hit or miss depending on hardware.
    Live free or DIE!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    Let me know if -56 fixes this. 1.9GHz is a hit or miss depending on hardware.
    Yes please let me know also... Having same symptom of cpu 2 not coming back after sleep using f15c-54. What I did to fix it was use F4 and I put disable on core2 always on using the turbo_mode=0. This allows the CPU to to come on and off when it needs to. Hopefully it's fixed in -56!
  20.    #60  
    Yes please let me know also... Having same symptom of cpu 2 not coming back after sleep using f15c-54. What I did to fix it was use F4 and I put disable on core2 always on using the turbo_mode=0. This allows the CPU to to come on and off when it needs to. Hopefully it's fixed in -56!
    Uh? You can always test it for yourself.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast