Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    And you tried this without Govnah at all?

Those are all seperate projects.
    You mean by uninstalling Govnah? Or just without opening it to check the frequencies?
    Unix, mine does the exact same thing. Set it to ondmndtcl, 1.7ghz, leave it alone for about an hour, I come back, and core 2 shows as N/A and I can't adjust frequencies.

Not sure how to test this without Govnah :P
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    You mean by uninstalling Govnah? Or just without opening it to check the frequencies?
    either or... Just want to rule out Govnah sending any signals to contaminate evidence.
    Live free or DIE!

That's the error I get after the 2nd core goes NA and I try to make any changes in Govnah
    twofiftyeight likes this.
    either or... Just want to rule out Govnah sending any signals to contaminate evidence.
    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    cat: can't open '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq': No such file or directory
    Just confirmed without using Govnah.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Unix, mine does the exact same thing. Set it to ondmndtcl, 1.7ghz, leave it alone for about an hour, I come back, and core 2 shows as N/A and I can't adjust frequencies.

Not sure how to test this without Govnah :P
    I have the same issue. Core 2 is N/A after a while.

Also I can notice a performance impact when playing a 720p video (with kalemsoft) which is lagging... Video is smooth when both cores show as 1.7ghz in Govnah
    I get the same error when i try to make changes to anything in govnah with F4 and f15.. i get the unable to open/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq... the first F4 you put out worked but after you put out the update it started giving me the message again... but f15 never worked.
    Thought you'd appreciate this Unix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  9.    #29  
    Guys, ...... Please read the 1st post....again...and again. Lets not have this thread deleted also.

twofiftyeight was kind enough to take time to dig into things so I have enough info to check for the problem.
    Live free or DIE!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Thought you'd appreciate this Unix.
    hehe.

I should make this my wallpaper.
    Live free or DIE!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by twofiftyeight View Post
    Code:
    root@JonathansHPTouchPad:/# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur
    _freq
    cat: can't open '/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq': No such file or directory
    Just confirmed without using Govnah.
    Can you memboot the following kernel to see if it fixes the N/A in Govnah?

http://unixpsycho.com/uImage-tp-F4-201103
    Live free or DIE!
    did memboot with uImage-tp-F4-201103

root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /proc/version
    cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.35-palm-tenderloin (tp@rage.build.xssnet.com) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #webOS-TP-F4-Phantom SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 3 01:34:05 EDT 2011

had cpu1 "N/A" problem after standby with F4-48, as well as wifi not turning on after standby with initial F4 version. can no longer reproduce either issue with uImage-tp-F4-201103.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwintrobe View Post
    did memboot with uImage-tp-F4-201103

root@HPTouchPad:/# cat /proc/version
    cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.35-palm-tenderloin (tp@rage.build.xssnet.com) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #webOS-TP-F4-Phantom SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 3 01:34:05 EDT 2011

had cpu1 "N/A" problem after standby with F4-48, as well as wifi not turning on after standby with initial F4 version. can no longer reproduce either issue with uImage-tp-F4-201103.
    Great. I will push fixes into next version.

Thanx.
    Live free or DIE!
    Just a thought on power saver...
    Is there any way of figuring out a good performance versus power draw metric and program the kernel to force certain combinations of clock speeds? For instance, 2 cores running at 648 might be more efficient than using only 1 core at 864... (pulling numbers out of my backside... you probably have an idea where the actual numbers fall though)

Using Govnah for reporting, a very rough estimate of battery drain with f4 at various speeds
    airplane mode, max brightness
    432 -1030
    540 -1032
    648 -1038
    756 -1046
    864 -1058
    1.18 -1075
    1.8 -1096
    I hit the googles but wasn't able to find a clear answer...how do I disable turbo mode/enable power mode using sysfs?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Just a thought on power saver...
    Is there any way of figuring out a good performance versus power draw metric and program the kernel to force certain combinations of clock speeds? For instance, 2 cores running at 648 might be more efficient than using only 1 core at 864... (pulling numbers out of my backside... you probably have an idea where the actual numbers fall though)

Using Govnah for reporting, a very rough estimate of battery drain with f4 at various speeds
    airplane mode, max brightness
    432 -1030
    540 -1032
    648 -1038
    756 -1046
    864 -1058
    1.18 -1075
    1.8 -1096
    Unfortunately just powering on the 2nd core will double the draw.

In your example. 2 cores at 648 will consume 2x.950V = 1.9V, but 1 core at 864 is 1.03V. Even double the speed of 648; 1242 (closest match) is 1.19V. So you almost never want to turn on that 2nd core unless necessary.

Also having the screen at full brightness probably sucks up more battery then the CPUs at full blast .
    Live free or DIE!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyomonster View Post
    I hit the googles but wasn't able to find a clear answer...how do I disable turbo mode/enable power mode using sysfs?
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override
    Live free or DIE!
    Unfortunately just powering on the 2nd core will double the draw.

In your example. 2 cores at 648 will consume 2x.950V = 1.9V, but 1 core at 864 is 1.03V. Even double the speed of 648; 1242 (closest match) is 1.19V. So you almost never want to turn on that 2nd core unless necessary.

Also having the screen at full brightness probably sucks up more battery then the CPUs at full blast .
    Yes I know brightness probably accounted for 300mA or so of draw... it just was interesting to see how little impact there was from changing the clock speed on both cores, it's resulted in my raising the minimum in my governor profile...

So this raises a further question for me... how well are both cores utilized on the touchpad? Would there be any performance (or efficiency) benefit to locking CPU0 at 1.8 and having CPU1 come on and go offline with demand? Or would that just be silly?
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekOutDog View Post
    Yes I know brightness probably accounted for 300mA or so of draw... it just was interesting to see how little impact there was from changing the clock speed on both cores, it's resulted in my raising the minimum in my governor profile...

So this raises a further question for me... how well are both cores utilized on the touchpad? Would there be any performance (or efficiency) benefit to locking CPU0 at 1.8 and having CPU1 come on and go offline with demand? Or would that just be silly?
    webOS is very strict on controlling that 2nd core. you can easily try your example by setting the performance governor. The 2nd core should go offline when demand goes away, but CPU0 stays at full speed. Then you can take your measurements.
    Live free or DIE!
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/override
    i've been searching for a few hours, i can't find the sysfs service anywhere. also, what do you do with this file to toggle turbo mode on and off? is default turbo on?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast