Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    WARNING! this will delete all your data that you have stored on the sdcard! its not the best way to fix it but it is the only way for some people.

Hello TouchPad users!

I have been reading up on this topic today after bricking my own touchpad updating cm7 tp alpha 1 to alpha 3.5 today.

The solution provided by the op did not work for me for a few reasons, firstly the novaterm program would throw an exception every time i typed any single character (which made answering all the file specific questions a nightmare, and secondly because like alot of you i had quite a lot of data on my andriod "sd-card"

Fortunately i have come to a much simpler solution that will work for everyone, but its by no means graceful, I would recomend using the OP's guide to fix the issue first, but if it does not work for you as it did not for me then you can resolve the issue thus.

Set up
    download and install the java sdk availalbe from
    Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

downlaod and install the webOS SDK availalbe from
    https://developer.palm.com/

download the webOS doctor from the list here
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

The Fix
    Connect your touchpad to your PC/Mac/Linux system

Turn on / restart the touchpad (hold the top and fron buttons on the tablet)
    as soon as it turns off, hold down the increase volume button

Run the webOS Doctor (i recomend running it for the command line as it will give you a console veiw showing you the progress of the restore this will help you determine if the restore is actually stopping at 12% or itf its just taking time. In order to do this navigate to the directory you have put the webOS doctore file into and run.

java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

Follow the instructions until it gets stuck at 12%

navigate to the webos PDK bin directory
    on windows C:\Program Files (x86)\HP webOS\PDK\bin

run nova-browser.bat

navigate to /dev/mapper/

select store-media

from the menu at the top of the gui select delete file

Finishing Up

Reboot the touch pad (hold top and front buttons) - as soon as it powers down hold the "increase volume" button down untill you see the USB symbol.

Close and re run the webOS doctor (again via the command line)

It should now proceed past 12% and fully restore (worked for me) =D

As I have said its not a graceful way of doing things but it will be alot faster than sitting through all the prompts to repair file name lengths, ESPECIALLY if the nova term throws exceptions all the time.
    @VPope
    I tried your method but when I try to open the nova-browser.bat, it does nothing. Command screen flashes and shuts down.

Also, for some reason, I don't have any kind of "store" under mapper at all. Only thing there is "control".
    @BluesyBlue

When you run the webOS doctor on the command line , at what point does the process get stuck ? If you look in the console it will show what its doing.
    Can any of you help me with my doctor issue on my TouchPad? I'm getting pretty desperate here is the permalink to my last post on my thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3286409
  5.    #65  
    I was just sitting here looking at my favorites bar and realized that I post this solution way back when and then forgot about it. I however am NOT a techie. That was the result of bricking my own touchpad and then spending all night cussing at the computer trying to figure out a solution. Finally I found the solution in a linux instructional online, found some commands, tried different combinations, one worked - frantically tried to recall what I'd just done. Regardless I'm glad it's helped some of ya'll... And I'd take that beer but - while over 21, I don't drink lol

thanks much man!!!! tp up and running again.
    @VPope
    Hello, I've done what you say, but reboot and run the new doctor and still spend 12%. Can you tell me what is my error?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VPope View Post
    WARNING! this will delete all your data that you have stored on the sdcard! its not the best way to fix it but it is the only way for some people.

Hello TouchPad users!

I have been reading up on this topic today after bricking my own touchpad updating cm7 tp alpha 1 to alpha 3.5 today.

The solution provided by the op did not work for me for a few reasons, firstly the novaterm program would throw an exception every time i typed any single character (which made answering all the file specific questions a nightmare, and secondly because like alot of you i had quite a lot of data on my andriod "sd-card"

Fortunately i have come to a much simpler solution that will work for everyone, but its by no means graceful, I would recomend using the OP's guide to fix the issue first, but if it does not work for you as it did not for me then you can resolve the issue thus.

Set up
    download and install the java sdk availalbe from
    Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

downlaod and install the webOS SDK availalbe from
    https://developer.palm.com/

download the webOS doctor from the list here
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

The Fix
    Connect your touchpad to your PC/Mac/Linux system

Turn on / restart the touchpad (hold the top and fron buttons on the tablet)
    as soon as it turns off, hold down the increase volume button

Run the webOS Doctor (i recomend running it for the command line as it will give you a console veiw showing you the progress of the restore this will help you determine if the restore is actually stopping at 12% or itf its just taking time. In order to do this navigate to the directory you have put the webOS doctore file into and run.

java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar

run nova-browser.bat

navigate to /dev/mapper/

select store-media

from the menu at the top of the gui select delete file

Finishing Up

Reboot the touch pad (hold top and front buttons) - as soon as it powers down hold the "increase volume" button down untill you see the USB symbol.

Close and re run the webOS doctor (again via the command line)

It should now proceed past 12% and fully restore (worked for me) =D

As I have said its not a graceful way of doing things but it will be alot faster than sitting through all the prompts to repair file name lengths, ESPECIALLY if the nova term throws exceptions all the time.
    Just a quick note, we know this has been happening on multiple instances....

TIP:
    If you accidentally hit the REPORT button instead of QUICK REPLY you can always CANCEL or hit the back button and try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by danthong View Post
    My touchpad freezed at 12% in WebOs Doctor recovery process and I followed your directions to fix it. My problem was fixed. Thank you very much.
    This post was super helpful in recovering my friends TP. Thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by onebadtaz View Post
    It seems that this particular issue is revolving around an issue with "resizefat /dev/mapper/store-media" and the fact that the fat size is different than the backup.

I did a bit of research and came up with the following solution:

Run WebOS Doctor via CMD line "java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar"

When the Dr. hangs up at 12% open novaterm and connect to your device

Then type the following command:

dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media

And follow the prompts to correct the fat size to the backup (I believe I chose option 2 and then restore to backup and then 'Y')

Now put your tablet back into recovery mode and re-run WebOS Doctor. The error where it is hanging up should be gone and the system will flash completely.

(Comments on attempts appreciated)

OK - I had an issue after running webos doc 3.0.2 so I ran 3.0.0 - after it finished I had to plug the tablet into a power outlet and let it charge for a bit before it let me set up the system. It was hung up at the stupid HP splash screen for maybe 5-10 minutes but once it charged I got the prompt to select a language.

-I'd appreciate someone else trying this work around to verify. I'd hate for it to only work on mine
    Thanks a ton, your fix saved my day and my friends TouchPad Can't thank you enough for this helpful post.
    Hi please help my webos doctor doesn't help on my touchpad screen www.palm.com/Rom/ doctor run until 12%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    Hi,

maybe some help for the ones getting this error trying to perform the stuck @ 12% repair procedure :

/dev/mapper/store-media: No such file or directory

I had it too on my Pre 2, so I tried to follow the procedure given here when the Dr. is stuck at 8 % :

I skipped the first step as I was able to access the terminal. I just typed the 3 last commands, it tooks some secs then I went back to recovery mode and doctored successfully.

Good Luck !

Lionel
    I had it on my pre+,I follow the procedure.When I type the last commands,I get unable to get drive geometry,using default 4/16
    After i input dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media

i cannot select any option. Whether I key 1, 2, or 3, it gives me "Invalid input"

any suggestions? novaterm drivers messed up or something? :S
    G'Day,

I verified that webOSDoctor is freezing at the resize, as your document stipulates. I CRTL_C'ed out, went into NovaTerm, but my results were not clear. First, it never seemed to give me the prompt back (I waited over 20 minutes). Second, when I rebooted to USB, and tried webOSDoctor again, it still from at the resize. Here's a log:

root@webos-device:/# dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    65:01/00
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 2
    Wrong checksum for long file name "HP TouchPad".
    (Short name 12042511.06 may have changed without updating the long name)
    1: Delete LFN
    2: Leave it as it is.
    3: Fix checksum (attaches to short name 12042511.06)
    ? 1
    /Backups/2012-04-25 Data Plus full 00002.qic
    File size is 0 bytes, cluster chain length is > 0 bytes.
    Truncating file to 0 bytes.
    /Backups/2012-04-25 Data Plus full 00003.qic

Even when I hit <Enter> nothing happens.

HELP!

Thanx
    Quote Originally Posted by onebadtaz View Post
    It seems that this particular issue is revolving around an issue with "resizefat /dev/mapper/store-media" and the fact that the fat size is different than the backup.

I did a bit of research and came up with the following solution:

Run WebOS Doctor via CMD line "java -jar webosdoctorp302hstnhwifi.jar"

When the Dr. hangs up at 12% open novaterm and connect to your device

Then type the following command:

And follow the prompts to correct the fat size to the backup (I believe I chose option 2 and then restore to backup and then 'Y')

Now put your tablet back into recovery mode and re-run WebOS Doctor. The error where it is hanging up should be gone and the system will flash completely.

(Comments on attempts appreciated)

OK - I had an issue after running webos doc 3.0.2 so I ran 3.0.0 - after it finished I had to plug the tablet into a power outlet and let it charge for a bit before it let me set up the system. It was hung up at the stupid HP splash screen for maybe 5-10 minutes but once it charged I got the prompt to select a language.

-I'd appreciate someone else trying this work around to verify. I'd hate for it to only work on mine
    My hero forserious!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kal2el View Post
    G'Day,

I verified that webOSDoctor is freezing at the resize, as your document stipulates. I CRTL_C'ed out, went into NovaTerm, but my results were not clear. First, it never seemed to give me the prompt back (I waited over 20 minutes). Second, when I rebooted to USB, and tried webOSDoctor again, it still from at the resize. Here's a log:

root@webos-device:/# dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media
    dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
    65:01/00
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 2
    Wrong checksum for long file name "HP TouchPad".
    (Short name 12042511.06 may have changed without updating the long name)
    1: Delete LFN
    2: Leave it as it is.
    3: Fix checksum (attaches to short name 12042511.06)
    ? 1
    /Backups/2012-04-25 Data Plus full 00002.qic
    /Backups/2012-04-25 Data Plus full 00003.qic

Even when I hit <Enter> nothing happens.

HELP!

Thanx
    What would really help, other than any reply at all, would be clarification as to:

- When it hits the resizefat, do I CTRL_C webosdoc?
    - Does the dosfsck have to run by iteself (i.e., the above)?
    - Should the dosfsck come back with a user prompt to indicate it's done?
    - Any more key-by-key details for n00bs?

It's frustrating to see the exact behaviour outlined (i.e., the resizefat freeze), but have the solution not work.

Please help.

Thanx muchly.
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusCrawler View Post
    Hello there,

I had more or less the same issue on my PrPrPr$3$.

However I had another issue: the novaterm software kept continually on crashing on every character I typed. As a result, it was impractical to use the interactive fix of dosfsck like recommended in this post.

Instead I tried using the automatic fix of dosfsck, however it took him so much time to work that I gave up before it finished. Also, some messages hinted that he wouldn't fix everything in non-interactive mode.

Finally, sure as hell that nothing was good on this filesystem, I tried to format it anew by using the following command in novaterm:

mkfs.msdos /dev/mapper/store-media

It was risky but then, as I hoped, I could use webOS Dotcor on my device with no more issue.

Hope this can help other people in the same situation!
    Thanx Muchly - that's the most thanks I know how to give. You saved me from having to ship my TouchPad in (again). Wish I could return the favour. Accept my gratitude, insufficient as it is, as payment.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VPope View Post

run nova-browser.bat
    I can't run nova-browser.bat. I just get 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command. Java is installed and I verified it's in my PATH variable file. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NexusCrawler View Post
    Hello there,

I had more or less the same issue on my PrPrPr$3$.

However I had another issue: the novaterm software kept continually on crashing on every character I typed. As a result, it was impractical to use the interactive fix of dosfsck like recommended in this post.

Instead I tried using the automatic fix of dosfsck, however it took him so much time to work that I gave up before it finished. Also, some messages hinted that he wouldn't fix everything in non-interactive mode.

Finally, sure as hell that nothing was good on this filesystem, I tried to format it anew by using the following command in novaterm:

mkfs.msdos /dev/mapper/store-media

It was risky but then, as I hoped, I could use webOS Dotcor on my device with no more issue.

Hope this can help other people in the same situation!
    You are a great man. I worked on this damn thing for 6 hours and your solution is the only thing that worked.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have a major issue with this fix. I typed in the command and it said no such directory or file. I tried to search for store-media, and it isn't present. What do I do? Can I get this file somehow? Please help.

edit:

I got it to work by doing these steps first:

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure

then type:
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

and

However, I am not sure what the heck I am suppose to do after that. It gives me some options to choose that say something about trunkating and I am stuck at that point as I don't know which one to choose .
    Last edited by fac7orx; 07/02/2012 at 10:44 PM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast