Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dr3wster
  • 1 Post By jokkel
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Sorry for the negative post, but no doubt you would all know by now that HP plans to discontinue development of webOS products for now.. I love webOS and think that no mobile operating system comes even close in terms of elegance and innovation. It's just frustrating to see that an operating system with soooo much potential, be given no chance whatsover because the hardware that it is released on, is dated and attracts little users and as a result, no developer attention.

I have just bought a HP TouchPad to add to my already large list of webOS devices of Pre-, Pre+, Pixi+ and Pre2...

I doubt I can return the TouchPad now .. and I'd hate for webOS to die and for the TouchPad to be rendered dated / almost useless because its apps catalog is not growing.

Anyways, enough ranting.. the purpose of this is a plea to webOS internals to help rescue webOS. And this is how I reckon they can do it:

Through community / HP support:

1) Take over development / advancement of the webOS operating system itself ... maybe through patches / amalgamations of patches together to represent system upgrades?

2) Explore option of porting Alien Dalvik to webOS so that we can possibly run Android apps on webOS

3) Explore option of expanding PreWare functionality to convert it into an app catalog where users can purchase both native webOS apps and Android Apps repackaged to work with Alien Dalvik (with express permission of the respective developer of course!)

4) Explore option of porting a more robust media player (like VLC) to webOS

5) Take over the Palm / webOS account servers and expand its functionality so that it is possible to do more remote account administration (not an important one!)

What do you guys reckon? I think webOS Internals may be our only hope ... aside from a manufacturer like HTC or Samsung stepping in to acquire webOS from HP ... given that they have such in-depth knowledge of webOS and definitely have the expertise to do so..

Rod and co. can you help the webOS faithful achieve this? I know I'd be more than willing to support you guys with annual donations just to keep webOS purring along and to have the ability to install all sorts of random apps!
    Last edited by dr3wster; 08/18/2011 at 05:33 PM.

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

sorli likes this.
    WebOS Internals can only do so much. WebOS is not fully open to developers to just do whatever they want with it. That wont happen. WebOS Internals isnt some giant developing company that can just take over webOS. All webOS Internals can do is do what they have been doing all along and create great apps and patches for us users.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Also, it bears saying that HP has only announced that they wouldn't make any webOS devices anymore, expressly noting that they're "exploring options" for the future of the software.

So in the short term, there may still be OTA updates with improvements - and in the long term, there may be new webOS devices from other manufacturers.

The question is whether the abruptness with which HP has done this, after only having control over webOS for a little over a year and after only having HP webOS products on the market for what? Less than four months? (Veer launch was when, May?) - whether that isn't going to make the optimistic long-term outlook unlikely.

Despite all the bad blood, HP had a winner. The TouchPad, despite being thicker and heavier, is the #2 best-rated tablet on Amazon - probably because of its OS. After only one month on the market, 10% of people already said they'd like a TouchPad. Sure, 90% said they'd like an iPad, but hey, being #2 after one month isn't bad, and 10% was more than any tablet outside of those two got. webOS is a winner, all it needs is some consistency.

I thought HP would bring that. I believe a lot of developers thought the same thing. Now everybody is schooled on the fact that while HP may SAY "it's not a sprint, it's a marathon", they reserve the right to just throw the towel if they notice, 200 meters after having started, that they're not first yet.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    WebOS Internals can only do so much. WebOS is not fully open to developers to just do whatever they want with it. That wont happen. WebOS Internals isnt some giant developing company that can just take over webOS. All webOS Internals can do is do what they have been doing all along and create great apps and patches for us users.

Thanks for your replies! Sorry, I do understand that webOS internals is only a small group of developers, but they have achieved so much. I just thought it wasn't too far a stretch to say that they'd be able to help carry webOS forward, if HP does indeed give webOS the flick.. I saw that they are discontinuing development of devices, but another article on PreCentral also indicates that they don't have a plan for the webOS platform development going forward.. it just seems like they will end up giving it the flick..

I know that webOS internals wouldn't be able to invest the same level of development time in refining webOS like HP would be able to... what I meant was a slow, iterative upgrade of webOS via patches ... kind of like how Sconix managed to roll up so many patches/improvements in one handy package. That's what I meant.. Small optimizations / improvements.

I think that if webOS internals could port Alien Dalvik, it would be amazing.. we have been suffering from a lack of apps for ages and judging by the current situation, it doesn't look like it will improve any time soon

Work mobes: Palm Treo 650 > Palm Treo Pro > O2 Palm Pre- > Palm Pixi+ > Pre 2 > Pre 3
    Home mobes: Sony Ericsson K610 > Sony Ericsson W910 > iPhone 3GS > Verizon GSMed FrankenPre+ > HTC Desire HD > HTC Evo 3D > White HTC Sensation XE
    Tablet: HP TouchPad 32GB / ASUS TF101

2) Explore option of porting Alien Dalvik to webOS so that we can possibly run Android apps on webOS
    This is a ****ty idea. It's really hard and the apps won't work well with the rest of the system.

OP is clutching at straws here.

WebOSInternals will definitely exist for some time to come. But as soon as the devs buy other phones, new patches, apps and updates will finally end.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokkel View Post
    This is a ****ty idea. It's really hard and the apps won't work well with the rest of the system.

OP is clutching at straws here.

WebOSInternals will definitely exist for some time to come. But as soon as the devs buy other phones, new patches, apps and updates will finally end.
    i have to agree lol

well said ; )
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

the first stage is denial,webos is dead noone is gonna want to be a licencee at least meego death wasn't this tortuous.
    as webos internal they can save webos cause they really 've done everything they are limited to do
    Rod please save webOS :'( you are the only reason I stayed for so long. Please :'(
    Well actually on the longer term, the only thing I'm really concerned about is the backup of our devices and whether if something happens and we need to go to the doctor, we can still activate our profiles. If webOS Internals can come up with an offline local server for backing up, I'm all for it, and would even pay for it.

As long as I can still get my phone working, I think I'm fine with keeping my Veer or even possibly getting the Pre 3. I have enough apps and I found myself not even launching PreWare nor the App Catalog at all these days.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Actually, the homebrew community has already helped make webOS what it is...thank you webOS Internals and everyone else actively involved.

When it comes to options and other innovations, they are already doing stuff like running xwindows and linux GUI ontop of webOS. Not sure who's leading these efforts, but I'd love other options that are simple to accomplish (Heck...I already completed successfully the Swap Memory on my Pre- that Rocks my 2-yr old phone).

WebOS Internals and the homebrew community can help, will help (they love webOS just as much as we do), and dr3wster's appeal for help should not be belittled in any way...at least he asked for help! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well actually on the longer term, the only thing I'm really concerned about is the backup of our devices and whether if something happens and we need to go to the doctor, we can still activate our profiles. If webOS Internals can come up with an offline local server for backing up, I'm all for it, and would even pay for it.

As long as I can still get my phone working, I think I'm fine with keeping my Veer or even possibly getting the Pre 3. I have enough apps and I found myself not even launching PreWare nor the App Catalog at all these days.
    My Pre3 is coming in this afternoon (I was tracking it's delivery through DHL as the news cam in yesterday). I thought about returning it.. but decided I won't.

It's gonna be the MyPhone. I'm not going to depend on Android or Apple infrastucture.. I'll just have to look how not te depend on the profile servers.
    Rod hasn't answer because he's in shock :P.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    the only survivable thing that could happen is webos is open-sourced or licensed to other devs and a 3.0.3 tablet release or webos 2.2 is released for the new devices that HTC, Samsung or a 3rd party makes

in which case a metadoctor release might be made to back-support the older aging HP devices.

maybe they'll open source it including the enyo code (which would make devs happy)
    In the long run even if WebOS Internals took over, it wouldn't work out and you wouldn't be happy.

I think when you see how much other platforms have to offer, you will start to feel liberated by all the things we've been battling for with WebOS are not problems with other platforms.