1.    #1  
    No idea what I did to cause this particular snafu, but I did it sometime in the last six days. If someone would kindly tell me where to look and what I'm looking for, I'd appreciate it greatly. sshd is such a lovely daemon- I feel so lost without it on my metadoctored Pre-.

I've been a Unix sysadmin for about 20 years now, so this discussion can get as technical as it needs to be.
    does it manually mount as read only?

I had this happen once.

try losetup -a to see if the loop is already setup. It won't mount rw if it's already setup
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post

I had this happen once.

try losetup -a to see if the loop is already setup. It won't mount rw if it's already setup
    losetup -a returns nothing. I haven't tried a manual mount simply because at 4am (and really trying to solve a different problem entirely) I didn't have enough brain left to go look up Linux loopback mounts. (an on device man pages app - ISAGN)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post

I had this happen once.

Ok. I was successfully able to set up the loop and mount it rw.

(for those of you playing along at home:
    # losetup /dev/loop/0 /media/cryptofs/optware.ext3
    # mount /dev/loop/0 /opt
    )

I can now start sshd and login remotely, which will make life easier - as long as I don't reboot the phone, in which case I need to mount /opt by hand again.

To make this permanent, do I edit /etc/fstab, is there some init or upstart script that's gone missing, or do I do/restore something else entirely?
    optware bootstrap in Preware is what normally does it.

"org.webosinternals.optware" in the bootstrap ipk.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  6.    #6  
    This fix is for those who initially installed openssh manually using ipkg-opt, per the OpenSSH Install wiki page back when the contents of /opt were in /var/opt. From what frantid wrote in http://forums.precentral.net/3023593-post2874.html updating the Optware bootstrap to a version that uses a loopback mounted ext3 filesystem can cause problems including /opt not mounting automatically. (a/k/a "what happened to sshd?")

Here's what I wound up doing:

in SDLTerminal (the # indicates the Linux command line prompt)
    - made sure /opt was mounted
    # ls /opt
    - if it's empty, we need to mount it
    - first check to see if the loopback is set up
    # losetup -a
    # losetup /dev/loop/0 /media/cryptofs/optware.ext3
    # mount /dev/loop/0 /opt
    - note: if /dev/loop/0 is used by something else, use another, unused number
    - set my $PATH so I could use ipkg-opt properly
    # PATH=${PATH}:/opt/bin
    - check that /opt/bin is now at the end of my $PATH
    # echo $PATH

- go into Preware and install/run the Emergency Reconstruction Utility (Preware's ipkg list had gotten messed up while /opt was not mounted)
    - exit and restart Preware, the installed package list should be fine now

- go back to SDLTerminal, get the list of packages installed using ipkg-opt and remove them (/usr/bin/ipkg and /opt/bin/ipkg-opt each have their own lists of installed apps that the other cannot see. Preware uses ipkg)
    # ipkg-opt list_installed
    # ipkg-opt remove <package>
    - remove /var/opt, which should be empty
    # rmdir /var/opt

- go back to Preware and remove any Optware packages you installed that way, including the Optware bootstrap.
    - now reinstall them all
    - if you think you might want to install anything from the full Optware feed, install the Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer (ipkg-opt) as well.

Note: I can see frantid not wanting to uninstall all his Optware ipkgs, but he's (? I really shouldn't assume) probably got a lot more installed there than the 6 or 8 ipkgs I have.
    Last edited by lagoldste; 07/10/2011 at 05:41 AM.
    Glad you got it sorted and documented.

You're right I wasn't going to uninstall all my optware pieces. I do all my patch work with quilt - lot's of different versions and forks as I test out ideas. I really didn't want to start the process over.

I was lucky in that I had a complete /var/opt/ still intact and was able to manually move everything. I don't think I'll be doing any updates to optware any time soon. It should be okay, but why fix what isn't broken.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  8.    #8  
    I can imagine what your /opt partition looks like I do hope you've got it documented and/or backed up well enough to recreate it if you ever have to. I have some very clear memories of the day I broke my FreeBSD source tree so badly I could no longer do a buildworld (this was a long time ago- fbsd 2.5, iirc) and just shrugged and stopped updating rather than blow it all away and start over. After a while precompiled binaries wouldn't run and finally I couldn't build anything out of ports any more. I think I lived with it for another year after that before I built a new system- running Solaris 10.
    Yeah, I've since made a few backups and copies of backups. I guess that's a positive of the loop file.

By the way, I added bridge call dialer support into the latest version of UC. You just have to turn it on in preferences.