webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
Like Tree7Likes

Old 11/06/2012, 06:51 PM   #401 (permalink)

After opening brand new unlocked palm pre 2, i turned it on without inserting a sim card, it tells me to inser the sim but doent show the screen to place the *# code. What do i do?
Daud94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 09:55 PM   #402 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud94 View Post
After opening brand new unlocked palm pre 2, i turned it on without inserting a sim card, it tells me to inser the sim but doent show the screen to place the *# code. What do i do?
Use the physical keyboard.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 10:42 PM   #403 (permalink)

I got a new at&t Veer along with its unlock code. Should I unlock it first or activate it via Impostah first?

Thanks
mschumacher69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 10:43 PM   #404 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumacher69 View Post
I got a new at&t Veer along with its unlock code. Should I unlock it first or activate it via Impostah first?

Thanks
Always unlock first.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 10:50 PM   #405 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Always unlock first.

-- Rod
Thanks Rod. But in the unlock instructions, it says that I must turn off the phone first, insert a NON-AT&T SIM card, turn on the phone, etc...

But in your instructions to activate, you say "Do not insert a SIM card" twice.

So is it safe to insert a NON-AT&T SIM card to unlock first and then activate?

Thanks
Old 01/20/2013, 11:01 PM   #406 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Thanks Rod. But in the unlock instructions, it says that I must turn off the phone first, insert a NON-AT&T SIM card, turn on the phone, etc...

But in your instructions to activate, you say "Do not insert a SIM card" twice.

So is it safe to insert a NON-AT&T SIM card to unlock first and then activate?

Thanks
Ah, you're right. The issue is that we're trying to ensure that you do not accidentally do a first-use activation (which would prevent you getting app catalog access if you did it outside of the US). In the instructions, I say don't insert a sim card, cause some people did that and then proceeded to go through the HP first-use activation menus immediately, thereby destroying their only chance to do proper app catalog activation for the US catalog.

In your case, if you can do the Impostah steps over Wifi, then do those first. Then once you have verified US app catalog access, then worry about the unlocking of the cellular portion of the phone.

-- Rod
Old 01/20/2013, 11:09 PM   #407 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Ah, you're right. The issue is that we're trying to ensure that you do not accidentally do a first-use activation (which would prevent you getting app catalog access if you did it outside of the US). In the instructions, I say don't insert a sim card, cause some people did that and then proceeded to go through the HP first-use activation menus immediately, thereby destroying their only chance to do proper app catalog activation for the US catalog.

In your case, if you can do the Impostah steps over Wifi, then do those first. Then once you have verified US app catalog access, then worry about the unlocking of the cellular portion of the phone.

-- Rod
Oh OK thanks!

So this means as long as I don't proceed to go through the HP first-use activation menus, it would be safe to insert a NON-AT&T SIM card and unlock first. I also understand that I can Impostah-activate first and then unlock, so it's either or.

Sorry for so many questions, but as you said, it's my only chance to do proper app catalog activation for the US catalog and I don't want to destroy it!

Thanks!
Old 01/20/2013, 11:30 PM   #408 (permalink)

I don't think it matters much where a device is activated now, since you can change the App Catalog country with my country changer. Anyone know what other services the activation country affects?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/21/2013, 12:18 AM   #409 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I don't think it matters much where a device is activated now, since you can change the App Catalog country with my country changer. Anyone know what other services the activation country affects?
Really? This is possible now? I checked the link in your sig and the patch is for the TP only, is there one for the Veer? Or must I use the PC version?

This changes the country of your webOS account, right? But how about the country of the phone itself? Because my wife's account is already US because it is already associated with a Veer (bricked) and a TP which were activated on the US App Catalog. Does this mean that if I activate her new Veer with her existing account in an unsupported country, the account will stay US and she will have US App Catalog on the new Veer?

How about changing the Carrier? Because I want Carrier specific apps as well which wouldn't be available if the phone is activated from an unsupported Carrier. This happened to my (factory unlocked) Pre3 which was activated from an unsupported carrier and unsupported country, I was able to get US Paid App Catalog by activating my TP on the same account which changed my account to US, but I wasn't able to get Carrier specific apps (such as Evernote). Whenever I try to access Evernote, I get "this app is not supported by you Carrier" or something like that.

On the other hand, my wife's Veer (which is on her own webOS account with another TP) has access to Evernote and other Carrier specific apps because it was initially activated in the US and on at&t before I purchased it.

Thanks
Old 01/21/2013, 12:46 AM   #410 (permalink)

I'm not sure about carriers, though I do think the country change is applied account-wide. I'll have to check again to make sure. And yes, use the PC version.
Old 05/15/2013, 12:24 PM   #411 (permalink)

Why does Impostah refuse my request with this message (trying to create a new profile): "Service Error (createDeviceAccount): 0"? Trying to login in with an already existing profile it says: "Service Error (authenticateFromDevice): 0"...
WebOSLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2013, 07:09 AM   #412 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
Why does Impostah refuse my request with this message (trying to create a new profile): "Service Error (createDeviceAccount): 0"? Trying to login in with an already existing profile it says: "Service Error (authenticateFromDevice): 0"...
It usually means you have no network connection or your date and time are incorrect.

-- Rod
Old 05/28/2013, 02:57 AM   #413 (permalink)

Got me a second Pre3 that I will keep as a spare or give to my mother.

Thought I would set it up so its ready to use. As im in Sweden I guess I still have to use Impostah to get UK App Catalog access?

I only have the SIM-card that I use in my current Pre3, would it cause any problems if I move that to the new device while setting it up? Just want to make sure its working and make it ready for use. Would that somehow hurt my current profile or can I use the same SIM on different webOS accounts without triggering some kind of wipe from HP?
Old 05/28/2013, 03:00 AM   #414 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Got me a second Pre3 that I will keep as a spare or give to my mother.

Thought I would set it up so its ready to use. As im in Sweden I guess I still have to use Impostah to get UK App Catalog access?

I only have the SIM-card that I use in my current Pre3, would it cause any problems if I move that to the new device while setting it up? Just want to make sure its working and make it ready for use. Would that somehow hurt my current profile or can I use the same SIM on different webOS accounts without triggering some kind of wipe from HP?
Using the same SIM card on multiple webOS phones shouldn't have any effect on your webOS accounts.
You can always use the Thanks and/or Like button if you think my post was useful
Old 05/28/2013, 10:31 AM   #415 (permalink)

Not sure what happend, didnt have any problems activating my first Pre3 but this is stubborn.

Its supposed to be brand new in a box and it looked to be unopened and un-touched but it somehow sticks to the US catalog.

After using Impostah to select UK ive doctored it to 2.2.4.
Checked App Catalog and it was the UK one, apps had prices listed in GPB.

However, before making a purchase in the UK catalog I got a software update notice for the App Catalog.

I downloaded that update but from now on the App Catalog is US.

Any idea what to do?

I will try doctor it and see what catalog it connects to when freshly doctored.

Is a Touchpad account my only option to force into using the UK catalog if still wants to use the US catalog after my doctoring?

Last edited by Andreas; 05/28/2013 at 10:40 AM.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/2013, 11:19 AM   #416 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Not sure what happend, didnt have any problems activating my first Pre3 but this is stubborn.

Is a Touchpad account my only option to force into using the UK catalog if still wants to use the US catalog after my doctoring?
Did you create a new webOS account or use an old one? And why did you doctor it after activating it with Impostah?

Afaik, registering it to a TP UK webOS account is the only way to change it to a UK app catalog...
You can always use the Thanks and/or Like button if you think my post was useful
Old 05/28/2013, 02:46 PM   #417 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you create a new webOS account or use an old one? And why did you doctor it after activating it with Impostah?

Afaik, registering it to a TP UK webOS account is the only way to change it to a UK app catalog...
Created a new account within Impostah but I might have been unlucky and used an old email either that or the device was activated by a previous owner (eBay purchase that was sold as BNIB).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0