Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Thanks Rod! really appreciate the reply.

From what you said I now understand that even when using Impostah it is still a one shot activation, Impostah simply allows you to pretend you are in another country to do that first and only activation.

I think it's pretty bad that palm/HP have this one shot activation policy, makes the second hand ebay/international market quite the minefield!

I think in my case I will just activate normally without the use of Impostah and just stick to the UK app store (and just sideload any other (free) apps that I need!)

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work!
    Thank you for this post. I was able to finally get into the catalog after following the steps from this post.
    I have activation my ATT Pre 3 with "VN (Vietnam)" code. how i can change to US app catalog to buy paid app?
    I thought all we had to do was just get the Pre 3 and pop in the SIM card... that's what I did and now I can't d/l anything from the app catalog I think Im screwed lol. I'm in US and I used a T-mobile SIM to activate the phone as well as my Palm profile. Is there anyway to fix this or am I really screwed? Thanks
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is believed that a TouchPad login can set the app catalog country for a webOS profile, and that country setting is passed on to subsequent phones that use that profile.-- Rod

I just got a brand spanking new Pre 3. What a nice piece of equipment!!!

- I live in the Netherlands
    - I have a Touchpad, activated with an account that offers me access to UK paid apps
    - I have a Pre. This was originally activated from within NL giving me only access to free apps
    - I have meta-doctored that Pre to webOS 2.1 and used the Touchpad Palm profile to activate. And then I also got access to UK paid apps.

So, my question:

- Can I just pop in my Dutch SIM in the Pre 3 and use that same Touchpad account again to activate the Pre 3 and will I have access to UK paid apps? (I will probably lose my Pre association with that profile wouldn't I?)
    - Or should I still follow the guide to activate with impostah over wifi?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

- I have a Touchpad, activated with an account that offers me access to UK paid apps
    - I have a Pre. This was originally activated from within NL giving me only access to free apps
    - I have meta-doctored that Pre to webOS 2.1 and used the Touchpad Palm profile to activate. And then I also got access to UK paid apps.

So, my question:

- Can I just pop in my Dutch SIM in the Pre 3 and use that same Touchpad account again to activate the Pre 3 and will I have access to UK paid apps? (I will probably lose my Pre association with that profile wouldn't I?)
    Having activated a handful of WebOS devices, this has been my observation (doing OOBE activations, no Doctor or any hacks):
    1. For devices with SIM card slot, activation must be done over a cellular network. You must have a data plan. Based on the country of the network carrier, the country for the App Catalog will be set.
    2. For devices without a SIM card slot, the public IP address of the internet connection you are using for activation determines the country for which the App Catalog that will be set.
    Last edited by gragib; 10/28/2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo
  7.    #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by gragib View Post
    Having activated a handful of WebOS devices, this has been my observation (doing OOBE activations, no Doctor ar any hacks):
    1. For devices with SIM card slot, activation must be done over a cellular network. You must have a data plan. Based on the country of the network carrier, the country for the App Catalog will be set.
    2. For devices without a SIM card slot, the public IP address of the internet connection you are using for activation determines the country for which the App Catalog that will be set.
    Neither of those two points are correct.

1) This thread shows how to activate a device with a SIM card slot without a cellular network connection.

2) That is not the case.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Neither of those two points are correct.

1) This thread shows how to activate a device with a SIM card slot without a cellular network connection.

2) That is not the case.

-- Rod
    you missed the OOBE activations, no Doctor or any hacks part.
    Last edited by gragib; 10/28/2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo
  9.    #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by gragib View Post
    you missed the OOBE activations, no Doctor ar any hacks part.
    And how does that help someone in this thread trying to activate a device in the Netherlands?

#2 is not generally the case, irrespective of whether you're using homebrew or not.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post

So, my question:

I would advise following this guide (without a SIM inserted) to activate your Pre 3 for the UK catalog. This is your safety net.

Then use the TouchPad account, which *should* set the Pre 3 to UK too.

It will reset and wipe any other phone on that account, unless you follow the StopDeviceWipe process on the WebOS Internals wiki.

-- Rod
    Hi,

I'm new to WebOS and have bought an AT&T Pre3 off eBay. If all goes well, it should arrive somewhere next week, new in box and with an unlock code.

I'm in the Netherlands and thus plan to use it with a Dutch SIM-card, UK-App Catalog and Dutch credit card. When should I do the unlocking? First use Impostah up to step 13, then insert the SIM-card, enter the unlock code and then use WebOS-Doctor? Or should I wait with unlocking until I used WebOS doctor?

Thanx.
  12.    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupl View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to WebOS and have bought an AT&T Pre3 off eBay. If all goes well, it should arrive somewhere next week, new in box and with an unlock code.

I'm in the Netherlands and thus plan to use it with a Dutch SIM-card, UK-App Catalog and Dutch credit card. When should I do the unlocking? First use Impostah up to step 13, then insert the SIM-card, enter the unlock code and then use WebOS-Doctor? Or should I wait with unlocking until I used WebOS doctor?

Thanx.
    I would do everything to get the app catalog country that you desire first (over wifi), before worrying about modem unlocking.

-- Rod
    Thanks rwhitby for this valuable thread.

I followed this thread on my first Pre3, and everything's ok.

Today, I tried on my second Pre3, but I got following message when I tried to buy app.

-------------
    Unexpected Problem
    App Catalog could not complete the last action you performed. Try again later.
    PMTPAMS3029
    -------------
    In case of free app, I can download.

The problem is solved.
    I have tried 1-15 steps 2,3 time.
    then suddenly I can buy app...

thanks lot.

What is my problem?
    How can I solve this problem?

Thanks a lot !
    Last edited by hyun5suk; 11/09/2011 at 04:22 PM.
    Hello Rod,

In your post #1 screenshots, I take it the Australia/NZ card options are from the Australian app catalogue?
    Is there any disctinction between activating a Pre 3 or Veer to it, as opposed to a Touchpad (for which the Australian appcat was introduced)?

Thanks,
    - maxbo

15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbo View Post
    Hello Rod,

In your post #1 screenshots, I take it the Australia/NZ card options are from the Australian app catalogue?
    Is there any disctinction between activating a Pre 3 or Veer to it, as opposed to a Touchpad (for which the Australian appcat was introduced)?
    Don't know. I activate all my devices for the US catalog.

-- Rod
    hello, i activate my AT&T pre 3 following this guide, but for some reason i can't download anything from the app catalog, it always comes out with "download failed"

Anyone experiencing this before?
    New Pre3 eu owner (waiting for it to arrive, just won it on ebay), and totally new to webos and these devices.

"15) To make sure everything has been initialised correctly, you must now turn off backups (to erase the backup on the server), do a full erase on your device, run the webOS Doctor,"

Could someone tell me how to:

1) turn backups off on a pre3
    2) do a full erase
    3) where to download the webOS Doctor (and eventually the procedure I should follow to apply it) ?

Thanks,

Alessandro
    Backup is an app on the Pre3. Once you open it; it has a toggle for on/off

Full Erase is found in the Device Info app by clicking the Reset Options and selecting the red FULL ERASE button.

Info on the webos doctoring process can be found here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    New Pre3 eu owner (waiting for it to arrive, just won it on ebay), and totally new to webos and these devices.

"15) To make sure everything has been initialised correctly, you must now turn off backups (to erase the backup on the server), do a full erase on your device, run the webOS Doctor,"

Could someone tell me how to:

1) turn backups off on a pre3
    2) do a full erase
    3) where to download the webOS Doctor (and eventually the procedure I should follow to apply it) ?

Thanks,

Alessandro
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I would do everything to get the app catalog country that you desire first (over wifi), before worrying about modem unlocking.

-- Rod
    Thank you, it worked! I have access to the full app catalog!

I was worried that the AT&T provided SIM-unlock code wouldn't work after doctoring the phone, but it worked just as expected! Later I did another reflash, this time to remove the ATT crapware and the modem unlock is permanent, so that is also nice to know. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Backup is an app on the Pre3. Once you open it; it has a toggle for on/off

Full Erase is found in the Device Info app by clicking the Reset Options and selecting the red FULL ERASE button.

Info on the webos doctoring process can be found here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

Welcome aboard.
    Thanks,

just a quick extra question to see if I've understood right :
    I need to put the phone in recovery mode, and to do it I have to
    1) turn off the phone
    2) remove and insert back the battery (required or optional?)
    3) keep pressed the volume up key
    4) plug the usb cable while used with the charger
    5) wait for the big usb icon on the screen
    6) release the volume button
    7) disconnect the charger and connect it to the pc, to launch the doctor

?