Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 417
Like Tree7Likes
  1. mullern's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #321  
    Yes, Sir!!

    Does your question imply that I could run the procedure in thread 1 to get it up again?
  2.    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    Yes, Sir!!

    Does your question imply that I could run the procedure in thread 1 to get it up again?
    I suspect your device has sent an SMS message to the profile server which has changed your country profile setting.

    Whether or not the procedure in the first post of this thread will work in that situation is not known. I would expect not, but I've been surprised by the operation of the palm profile servers many times before, and they seem to be changed at various times in ways that are indistinguishable from random perturbations.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. mullern's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    #323  
    Thanks, Rod, I'll give it a try..........

    I'll getting a TP in about a week or so. Would you think that starting the TP with the same profile and the German Catalog would also set the PRE3 back to the German Catalog?
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    Thanks, Rod, I'll give it a try..........

    I'll getting a TP in about a week or so. Would you think that starting the TP with the same profile and the German Catalog would also set the PRE3 back to the German Catalog?
    It is believed that a TouchPad login can set the app catalog country for a webOS profile, and that country setting is passed on to subsequent phones that use that profile.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #325  
    Hi Rod, thanks for all your help in this thread so far.

    I've got a touchpad and an original palm pre, both using the same palm profile that is registered to the Australian/NZ store. I've just received an unlocked AT&T Pre3 which I've put my sim card in, turned on and entered the same profile details. On the pre 3 the app catalogue now brings up the US store, while on the touchpad it remains on the NZ store. I've tried wiping the phone and firing up the pre again with the same profile and it uses the NZ store.

    I want the new Pre3 to access the Australian/NZ store like the old one does and the touchpad. Any ideas what is going wrong? I thought my use case is the most basic, with no need for impostah, but I'm stumped as to why the app store is the US one.

    Cheers
    Steve
  6. #326  
    Oh, dude. You missed it completely. Have you read the sequence in Rod's first post, in its entirety?
    "Unlocked" meant "any US SIM" or non-US for that matter, but it certainly did not mean "unlocked from US market and US store". The phone was still marketed and targeted at Americans. That's why this thread existed in the first place.
    You will need a new "unlocked" pre3 I am afraid, as well as also read His 1st post

    Don't "Thanks!" me...
    Last edited by cubeover; 10/20/2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: oh my
  7. eKeith's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by roamingsim View Post
    Hi Rod, thanks for all your help in this thread so far.

    I've got a touchpad and an original palm pre, both using the same palm profile that is registered to the Australian/NZ store. I've just received an unlocked AT&T Pre3 which I've put my sim card in, turned on and entered the same profile details. On the pre 3 the app catalogue now brings up the US store, while on the touchpad it remains on the NZ store. I've tried wiping the phone and firing up the pre again with the same profile and it uses the NZ store.

    I want the new Pre3 to access the Australian/NZ store like the old one does and the touchpad. Any ideas what is going wrong? I thought my use case is the most basic, with no need for impostah, but I'm stumped as to why the app store is the US one.

    Cheers
    Steve
    Contact Palm Support by chat. It is worth the try. My "New" unlocked UK Pre3 came already activated by a UK SIM. I simply and honestly explained my situation and asked them to switch the Pre3's App Catalog to that of the US. After verifying my account and device history (I imagine) they graciously complied. It took almost 1 hour but explained that they needed to be thorough as many users abuse this request to change between App markets.


    Sent from my LeeDrOiD-powered HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
  8. #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Shadowhawk: do step 15.

    -- Rod
    Thanks Rod!

    I did, and everything seemed to work fine...while the borrowed SIM was in the slot...But then when turned it off, took the sim out, and rebooted, app cat downloads seemed to fail again.

    So then I doctored again with the SIM thinking maybe that would fix it, and, again, I could buy apps and download them successfully while the SIM was in there (I had it in Wi-Fi only), and my apps seemed to be happily restoring themselves.

    ...but then I had to remove the SIM again (they needed it back), and when I rebooted it without a sim, any new app catalog downloads failed and the apps that were busily restoring themselves before the SIM-removal all stopped and failed too...so I stuck in an international SIM that I have that I believe is still alive (no data on it, though, IIRC, but at this point, I was still wifi only), and the app restorations all worked...But I still can't dl anything new from the App Catalog, paid or free.

    So I'm thinking of trying step 15 again...erase backup, full erase, then doctor, then log into webOS profile "normally"...

    ...but after doing step 15 at Rod's suggestion, I'd gone to my real webOS profile...if I do erase the backup, do the full erase, then doctor, will my apps still be there to restore down to the phone?
  9. #329  
    @cubeover - thanks for your response but I suspect you didn't quite follow what I was trying to do. I want to be on my local catalog, not fool the phone into a foreign catalog which most of the thread seems to be about.

    @eKeith - thanks for the suggestion. I was reluctant to go through HP support as I tried that route with my original pre and hit a stone wall. That being said with your encouragement I tried them and they did indeed switch me to the NZ catalog, so I guess something has changed, either with their ability to change catalogs or their willingness.

    Anyway, all sorted, so now using the same profile back on the correct catalog.

    Cheers
  10. #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    It took almost 1 hour but explained that they needed to be thorough as many users abuse this request to change between App markets.
    Do they really consider a consumer wanting to have the freedom to choose a particular 'app catalog', as abuse? Anyone still wondering why HP failed with webOS, here is your answer. Their attitude towards their customers is all wrong.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    GuyFromNam likes this.
  11. #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Thanks Rod!

    I did, and everything seemed to work fine...while the borrowed SIM was in the slot...But then when turned it off, took the sim out, and rebooted, app cat downloads seemed to fail again.

    So then I doctored again with the SIM thinking maybe that would fix it, and, again, I could buy apps and download them successfully while the SIM was in there (I had it in Wi-Fi only), and my apps seemed to be happily restoring themselves.

    ...but then I had to remove the SIM again (they needed it back), and when I rebooted it without a sim, any new app catalog downloads failed and the apps that were busily restoring themselves before the SIM-removal all stopped and failed too...so I stuck in an international SIM that I have that I believe is still alive (no data on it, though, IIRC, but at this point, I was still wifi only), and the app restorations all worked...But I still can't dl anything new from the App Catalog, paid or free.

    So I'm thinking of trying step 15 again...erase backup, full erase, then doctor, then log into webOS profile "normally"...

    ...but after doing step 15 at Rod's suggestion, I'd gone to my real webOS profile...if I do erase the backup, do the full erase, then doctor, will my apps still be there to restore down to the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Shadowhawk: do step 15.

    -- Rod
    This seems to work now, but I had to go through a period of not working to get to the other side...and hopefully it will continue working... Thanks!


    For those interested in the details, read on...


    OCTOBER 19
    -----------------------------

    So I did step 15 with another borrowed SIM using my test profile, and, while the SIM was still in there, tried to buy an app. Went as far as seeing the green "Purchase" button and concluded that all was fine. my webOS account/Palm Profile was listed in the Accounts app...all seemed good.

    So I did the full erase and, with that same SIM still in there, I logged in with my real profile, still a bit nervous...

    But I didn't need to be.

    I went through the normal sign-on process with my real profile, it rebooted, and downloaded some stuff before giving me the chance to skip out on adding in login information to my accounts...which I did so that I could start up Wi-Fi and stop slinging data over someone else's SIM. I then went into App Catalog, and learned that the phone was busily restoring my apps from my backup.

    I purchased a new app as a test. which downloaded and installed successfully. So all seemed well.

    So I turned it off (using the proper power button > 3 on-screen buttons process) so that I could remove the SIM. On booting back up, it tried to resume all the app restoring, but they all paused. and when I tried to resume, they failed.

    So I turned it off, and put in my UK (so international, from my perspective) SIM, which I haven't used in about a year (and that while in the UK), so I wasn't sure if it was alive still. I left it in WiFi only mode.

    On booting up, app restoration automatically started up, and those were successful (downloaded, installed). But anything new, whether paid or free from the App Catalog gave me a "Download failed" message, with no progress showing on any of the progress bars. The apps showed up as ghost images in the Launcher and as list items in Software Manager, but retrying those downloads also failed in the same fashion.

    I moved to a different Wi-Fi network. Same behavior.

    So I thought I might have to do it all again (step 15, erasing the backup, Full Erase on the device, and doctor it, starting up with another borrowed SIM), but, since this was my real profile, I was a little afraid that that would kill all my purchased apps history, and I'd be left with having to repurchase them all.


    OCTOBER 20
    -----------------------------

    I tried calling the HP webOS Butler service. Didn't get very far before I had to go into a meeting, but basically, they wanted me to just try again to download things to confirm failure before moving forward to other steps, but maybe reboot before trying.

    So, while in the meeting, I worked on the problem a little bit. Rebooted, tried to download, failed, just as previous behavior showed.

    Then, random thought...maybe I can check to see if the SIM Toolkit app can help me, whatever it actually does. But for that, it reports that the phone needs to be on for at least 30 seconds before it can show any menus...Having previously tried the app just having the device on and seeing that message stay there forever, I thought, maybe it needs to have 30 seconds of having the phone antenna on.

    I figured, WTH, and turned it on. the UK sim at first couldn't find a network, then noted that it hadn't been "provisioned", and offered me the chance to have that done (free), so I did. And it failed...Then I rebooted and tried it again, just because, left it on for more than 30 seconds, then went into the SIM Toolkit. And now it showed me menus that, perhaps, were saved on the SIM?

    In any case, there was now content there in the app, even if the off-device links failed.

    So then I turned it back to wi-fi only. And got a call back from HP's webOS Butler (the agent from before).

    So, while online, she asked me to try again to download the failed apps from the Software Manager...Feeling like a know-it-all, I did, assuming it would fail. The first app succeeded. ***? The second app succeeded. The last failed app succeeded. I then bought an app. Succeeded. Then downloaded a free one. Succeeded. Bought another one. Succeeded.

    HUNH?!

    So I thanked her for her help, and, after getting off the phone and getting a few more apps in preparation for a trip during which I planned to switch to the Pre3 as my primary phone, I hopped on here to give an update.

    So it's working now, but I'm not sure what the lesson is...
    I assume Step 15 was pivotal and critical. (my HP webOS account shows up, for instance)
    Having had a SIM in there that has had a chance to try to touch the cell network also seems critical (maybe to put itself as a SIM account in the Accounts list). I note that the borrowed AT&T SIM's account had somehow disappeared from the Accounts before...(I expect I deleted it somehow while I was monkeying around.)

    ...hopefully this working successfully business will continue, both here locally in the US and as I take it abroad to Europe...

    On what I take to be an unrelated note...the email accounts (that I added, the yahoo address prior to the SIM thing and the downloading success) seem not to be syncing very well (that yahoo one is 8 hours behind, which puts it right about when I added it, 2 gmail accounts (added 20 minutes ago) seem not to be syncing at all (email), and my Exchange one seems to be doing okay.

    The contacts from those two gmail accounts seem to have done some sync'ing though, as has Facebook.

    Does the Pre 3 not give us that circular arrow notification icon when things are syncing? I swear I've seen it there in the last week and more that I've been monkeying with setting it up...but I haven't seen it at all this afternoon since the app downloading success...I should have seen it for the gmail contacts and the facebook contacts, at least, I'd have thought.

    Well, thanks for reading, and I hope someone besides me gets something out of all these words.
  12. gragib's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #332  
    I bought a factory-unlocked Veer (AT&T ROM; confirmed unlocked with Rogers SIM) yesterday. After following steps 1-8 and pressing the button to create profile, nothing happens for a few minutes, and then I get an error message saying "Service Error (createDeviceAccount)".

    I erased the device 3-4 times, and I get stuck at this step each and every time.

    I could use some help.

    Thanks.
  13. #333  
    ^^But you inserted your Rogers SIM already! Steps 1 and 2 say:

    1) Take the device out of the box. Do not insert a SIM card.

    2) Turn the device on. Wait for it to boot. It will show a graphical screen directing you to insert a SIM card. Do not insert a SIM card.
    I don't know how to assist you at this point. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  14. gragib's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #334  
    I inserted the Rogers SIM after step 8 kept failing. And I removed the SIM before doing a wipe and restarting at step 1.

    The instructions said do not insert SIM, so I didn't want to insert SIM till the whole procedure was done. When step 8 kept failing after repeated attempts, I thought "OK, I'll insert the Rogers SIM to see if the phone is actually factory-unlocked, or still tied to AT&T because there is AT&T branding on it".

    What I'll do when I have some time is reset the device firmware using WebOS Doctor and try the whole procedure again.
  15. #335  
    I understand better now. Thanks for clarifying.

    So are you really failing at Step 10 (logging into profile) or at Step 8 (select country/language)

    Also: when you did insert the Rogers SIM; did you log into a profile? That knowledge would also be helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by gragib View Post
    I inserted the Rogers SIM after step 8 kept failing. And I removed the SIM before doing a wipe and restarting at step 1.

    The instructions said do not insert SIM, so I didn't want to insert SIM till the whole procedure was done. When step 8 kept failing after repeated attempts, I thought "OK, I'll insert the Rogers SIM to see if the phone is actually factory-unlocked, or still tied to AT&T because there is AT&T branding on it".

    What I'll do when I have some time is reset the device firmware using WebOS Doctor and try the whole procedure again.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
  16. gragib's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #336  
    It fails at step 10 after I hit "Create New Profile". I get the spinning thing in the button for a few minutes, followed by an error message saying "Service Error (createDeviceAccount)".

    Anyways, right now I am reseting the device using WebOS Doctor. After that's done, I'll start the Impostah process again and report back.
  17. gragib's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #337  
    OK. Partial success

    Good news - account created.

    Bad news - no access to paid apps.

    I guess I'll have to get a data plan from Rogers for a month to activate this device properly and get access to paid apps. I hate talking to customer service. They keep you on hold for, like, forever, and then make you jump through hoops when it comes time to cancel your data plan.

    And this is why WebOS was suffering. Why is it so hard to
    1. buy an unlocked device (even before HP killed WebOS)?
    2. get access to paid apps without resorting to "hacks"?
  18. #338  
    I followed all the tutorial (on an unlocked Veer), especially step 15, but when i choose "accounts" from the main menu i see a "Palm profile" with under that "Dr. SKipped Firstuse":



    Is it possible to remove that name?
    Last edited by Trovatore; 10/22/2011 at 08:17 AM.
  19. #339  
    Hi,

    I have read through all 17 pages on this thread and still can't work out what I should do.

    This is what I have to work with:
    - I have a HP Pre 3 unlocked UK version
    - I am in the UK (and don't plan on moving!)
    - The Pre 3 is still in a sealed box, therefore never even been switched on
    - I also have a HP Touchpad with which I can access the store and purchase apps (I assume this is the UK store)

    What would be the advantage to me in using Impostah for my Pre 3?

    Are there more apps on the US store that may never reach the UK store?

    Does using Impostah at this stage mean that if I ever sell the Pre 3 I could ship it anywhere in the world and the buyer would be able to access their localised store (i.e a US buyer would be able to access the US store even if I have been accessing the UK store on the device in question?)

    Does having a Touchpad on my profile mean that using Impostah would be a waste of time as it would just kick me back to the UK store anyway?

    What would I lose by not using Impostah and just activating normally?

    Can you keep switching regions by running Impostah again?

    Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to overlook Impostah only to realise later on that I should have used it.

    And I can't believe it took the firesale to introduce me to webOS, I been missing out for years!
    Last edited by ZeroWingUK; 10/22/2011 at 01:41 PM.
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWingUK View Post
    Hi,

    I have read through all 17 pages on this thread and still can't work out what I should do.

    This is what I have to work with:
    - I have a HP Pre 3 unlocked UK version
    - I am in the UK (and don't plan on moving!)
    - The Pre 3 is still in a sealed box, therefore never even been switched on
    - I also have a HP Touchpad with which I can access the store and purchase apps (I assume this is the UK store)

    What would be the advantage to me in using Impostah for my Pre 3?

    Are there more apps on the US store that may never reach the UK store?

    Does using Impostah at this stage mean that if I ever sell the Pre 3 I could ship it anywhere in the world and the buyer would be able to access their localised store (i.e a US buyer would be able to access the US store even if I have been accessing the UK store on the device in question?)

    Does having a Touchpad on my profile mean that using Impostah would be a waste of time as it would just kick me back to the UK store anyway?

    What would I lose by not using Impostah and just activating normally?

    Can you keep switching regions by running Impostah again?

    Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to overlook Impostah only to realise later on that I should have used it.

    And I can't believe it took the firesale to introduce me to webOS, I been missing out for years!
    1) It would allow you to select another app catalog country for your Pre 3 if you use a different profile from your TouchPad, and maybe if you use the same profile.

    2) Yes.

    3) If you first registered it for their country, yes.

    4) Probably

    5) See #1

    6) No, read the first post again.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals

Posting Permissions