Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    quick question about step 6:

6) Once the device has booted, you should connect to WiFi (you must have a stable WiFi connection available for the rest of this procedure), and install Preware and Impostah.

It says install preware. So far, 3 out of the four install options require the use of a windows/mac/linux to install preware through the cable. So I'm going to guess the WIFI requirement only happens later during the registration and that the preware install is to be done by cable?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a step to turn off developer mode once it's done.
    Last edited by Fatfool; 09/30/2011 at 05:00 AM.
  2.    #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    quick question about step 6:

6) Once the device has booted, you should connect to WiFi (you must have a stable WiFi connection available for the rest of this procedure), and install Preware and Impostah.

It says install preware. So far, 3 out of the four install options require the use of a windows/mac/linux to install preware through the cable. So I'm going to guess the WIFI requirement only happens later during the registration and that the preware install is to be done by cable?

Also, there doesn't seem to be a step to turn off developer mode once it's done.
    Doesn't matter how you install Preware, and developer mode doesn't need to be turned off.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Doesn't matter how you install Preware, and developer mode doesn't need to be turned off.

-- Rod
    Got it. Impostah too. But I can't seem to wipe the palm Profile. I've removed the Pre + but the profile is still there and it says 'United Kingdom' under country. Though I've noticed that peeps have been commenting that the profile can't be removed.

Or is a new Profile the only way to get an Australian app cat?
    Last edited by Fatfool; 09/30/2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Oh my!

I created a new account for australia with impostah, opened the app cat and yep, all the prices were in Australian Dollars. then I wiped it and logged on with my old account and it went back to pounds! (yes, the homebrew app was $0.99, saw that now it's 0.79 pounds)

it's listed at the palm profile website as 'Manta ROW/EU (Telstra Australia)'
    Last edited by Fatfool; 10/01/2011 at 12:24 AM.
  5.    #265  
    Have you tried turning off the backup on the old profile (which deletes it on the server) and then logging into it?

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Have you tried turning off the backup on the old profile (which deletes it on the server) and then logging into it?

-- Rod
    Hmm. Oh yeah that sounds like an issue I turned it off for the new account (after viewing the australian app cat) but not the old one.

So a possible remedy is to turn off and wipe the old profile? yeah lemme try that.

update: nope, no go. I turned off backups and it 'erased' but when I did a full erase and logged back in, it restored all the previous apps (but not the contacts). Plus the app cat was still in pounds.
    Last edited by Fatfool; 10/01/2011 at 05:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Another update: Okay looks like there's something interesting going on here. I turned off backups again, did a full erase and then signed into my new account. Now the app cat is the Australian app cat again. (and to prove it, I can also say that there's an option not just for an Australian Card, but for a New Zealand one too. the New Zealand option hasn't been mentioned anywhere)

So in effect, it seems that I have access to the UK and the Australian/NZ app cat just by switching profiles!!! And there's no touchpad magic here.

Perhaps a theory is that a device is able to create profiles for different countries, at least when initially activated? Thus if someone wants a UK app cat, they can buy a UK activated phone, create a profile and then sign into another account with that profile even if the other device has been activated for another country?

Oh. and is account verification needed before I enter in the credit card details? Cos it doesn't seem to accept my card at the moment. (says a data field isn't filled) Can't verify as the darn profile isn't sending a link to my email account hmm.
    Last edited by Fatfool; 10/01/2011 at 06:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    Perhaps a theory is that a device is able to create profiles for different countries, at least when initially activated? Thus if someone wants a UK app cat, they can buy a UK activated phone, create a profile and then sign into another account with that profile even if the other device has been activated for another country?
    So would this mean, that someone in the UK could make accounts with UK application catalog enabled and send the login info to others who are locked out of paid apps, so they could get paid apps too?
  9.    #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by naranek View Post
    So would this mean, that someone in the UK could make accounts with UK application catalog enabled and send the login info to others who are locked out of paid apps, so they could get paid apps too?
    That is not what we have experienced in the past, although something could easily have changed at Palm's end. I would exclude other possible reasons for this observed behaviour first.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    I am absolutely noob & new to webos(& its devices), I am from India, I am trying to activate my first webos device(veer), I'm following instructions in this thread & in here(http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...-carriers.html) which is basically another version of the guide from this thread & is specific to veer. Ok now I don't understand point 9 of the instructions given in the first page of this thread, which says u can create a temp profile(if we want) to test it out & later can create a permanent one, which is contradictory to the little information I got by reading this forum that once a webos device activated with a profile,it stays with it,can't use or activate another profile in it.

So can anyone clarify this to me.
  11.    #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    which is contradictory to the little information I got by reading this forum that once a webos device activated with a profile,it stays with it,can't use or activate another profile in it.
    This thread does not say that.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    9) Enter your desired Palm Profile email address and password. You may use an existing Palm Profile or create a new one. If you are doing this for the first time, you may wish to create a new profile for testing before you commit to using your real Palm Profile.
    This thread does not say that.
    Sorry Rod, I didn't get it, I quoted the line(highlighted with Bold letters) which I am referring to, can u explain me that part of the instruction, I understood it as I said in my previous post.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    Sorry Rod, I didn't get it, I quoted the line(highlighted with Bold letters) which I am referring to, can u explain me that part of the instruction, I understood it as I said in my previous post.
    It means what it says. You can choose to use an existing profile or a new profile. The app catalog restriction that results does not depend on what palm profile you use.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ok thanks for the app I was able to activate my veer
    Hello.

Im getting ready to use impostah to open up a paid app catalog on my Pre 3 here in Denmark. Which appcatalog should I choose?

Thanks
    Rune.
  16.    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by Runej View Post
    Hello.

Im getting ready to use impostah to open up a paid app catalog on my Pre 3 here in Denmark. Which appcatalog should I choose?

Thanks
    Rune.
    That depends on which credit card you have to match the app catalog country you choose.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod
    I got my Palm Pre 3 and I followed all the steps on the guide. (I am new to WebOs)
    Everything went fine up to step 12.

I got the catalog to open but I could not Download any App. At that time I was connected by Wifi and the sim had not been installed.

I was able to use the browser to surf on internet

Did not see any error when preware and Impostah installed. At first the activation mail did not arrived, after I requested it again, it did arrive and the account says "verified".

Interestingly after updating the phone with WebDoctor, Device Info says that I have version 2.2.3, but the webpage says I have version 2.2.0

Also, after inserting the sim, I see two accounts on "Accounts", one that says Dr. Skipped FirstUse and the other that says SIM.

I can make and receive calls ok. I bet the First Use account is because I have not reached step 15 yet.

But why would the phone be able to surf internet (meaning I has connectivty) and not be able to download stuff from the App Store? I remember also, before I ran the webdoctor to update the OS, that two Apps had updates. I tried to apply the update and again, they would not download directly from the phone.

Have you seen this before? Should I go to step 15 and hopefully it would solve this all?

Thanks for your insight.
    JP
  18.    #278  
    Your profile mapping to country has now been set up. I would proceed to step 15 and hope that resolves the issue.

-- Rod
    AT point 3 and 4 the tutorial says :

3) Type #* on the keyboard, the phone dial pad will appear.

4) Continue to type the rest of #*3386633# (the #* should already be showing)

In order to type those symbols and numbers, what input metod should i use? An "on screen" keyboard? Or the qwerty keyboard? I am just aking because i don't see any screenshot in the tutorial and i am waiting for my HP veer to come home :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
    AT point 3 and 4 the tutorial says :

3) Type #* on the keyboard, the phone dial pad will appear.

4) Continue to type the rest of #*3386633# (the #* should already be showing)

In order to type those symbols and numbers, what input metod should i use? An "on screen" keyboard? Or the qwerty keyboard? I am just aking because i don't see any screenshot in the tutorial and i am waiting for my HP veer to come home :-)
    Start with the physical, end with the scren pad.

You can also use the physical one for the entire process IIRC