Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 288
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #61  
    No go here either, Verizon Pre 2 (2.0.1), scan failed. Help?
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    No go here either, Verizon Pre 2 (2.0.1), scan failed. Help?
    While the Tweaks app works for webOS 2.x.x, the patches with "tweaks" support are only for webOS 2.1.

    You will need to upgrade the webOS version on your device to fully utilize Tweaks at the current time.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  3. #63  
    The Usage section on the wiki has been updated with Patch Developer information.
    I will work on the Usage > User section and more stuff for the troubleshooting section hopefully this evening.

    Thanks for everyone patience while I work the day job and the wiki pages.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    The Usage section on the wiki has been updated with Patch Developer information.
    I will work on the Usage > User section and more stuff for the troubleshooting section hopefully this evening.

    Thanks for everyone patience while I work the day job and the wiki pages.
    I think your tags are off, the info doesn't show on the main page, but it's there if you click on edit.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  5. #65  
    I'll have to fix when I get home. Thanks for letting me know.
  6. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #66  
    Installed fine through Preware (Pre 2 with 2.1). It found out 4 system bar patches immediately. It's a great idea and I hope that developers will help in this "centralized" patch system. Thanks to all the contributors.

    Is there a list with the compatible patches? Will there be one? I think it would really help the users.
  7. #67  
    I've read in a few places that the Tweaks settings will be able to be backed up in the Palm profile some day? How will that be possible?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Installed fine through Preware (Pre 2 with 2.1). It found out 4 system bar patches immediately. It's a great idea and I hope that developers will help in this "centralized" patch system. Thanks to all the contributors.

    Is there a list with the compatible patches? Will there be one? I think it would really help the users.
    Yes. See the wiki link. It tells you how to know which patches work with Tweaks.
  9. #69  
    I have to admit that I don't understand the purpose of this app.

    It enables/disables various portions of patches to suit one's liking. That much I got. This implies that just a few "mega patches" are applied. This is something I have never wanted to do. I won't install the "Advanced System..." patches because tons of tweaks rely on only a few IPKs. I don't like the "all the eggs in one basket" approach. Should they go unmaintained, it's ALL gone.

    I prefer the several little patches approach since if I change my mind, I pull out one little patch. Perhaps it's the *NIX mentality: one app for one thing (in this case "patch"). This seems to be for "controlling" one (or a few) patch(es) that do tons of things which goes completely against that (and the other "big" apps from WebOS-Internals - Govnah, Preware).

    Taking all that into account, am I to assume this isn't for someone like me?


    M.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    I've read in a few places that the Tweaks settings will be able to be backed up in the Palm profile some day? How will that be possible?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    DB8 databases get backed up on the Palm Profile every night and they plan to place these settings in a DB8 database..
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I have to admit that I don't understand the purpose of this app.

    It enables/disables various portions of patches to suit one's liking. That much I got. This implies that just a few "mega patches" are applied. This is something I have never wanted to do. I won't install the "Advanced System..." patches because tons of tweaks rely on only a few IPKs. I don't like the "all the eggs in one basket" approach. Should they go unmaintained, it's ALL gone.

    I prefer the several little patches approach since if I change my mind, I pull out one little patch. Perhaps it's the *NIX mentality: one app for one thing (in this case "patch"). This seems to be for "controlling" one (or a few) patch(es) that do tons of things which goes completely against that (and the other "big" apps from WebOS-Internals - Govnah, Preware).

    Taking all that into account, am I to assume this isn't for someone like me?


    M.
    Not at all...

    For example.. Garrett is making a weather widget for the status bar.. Where it displays the weather

    Tweaks will allow the user to customize how he wants it displayed.. Some want to show high/low temps some want c some f .. Some want to display the weather condition (fair) etc..

    Until now he would need diff versions for each one.. Where as tweaks is user configurable based on what options garrett put in

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I have to admit that I don't understand the purpose of this app.

    It enables/disables various portions of patches to suit one's liking. That much I got. This implies that just a few "mega patches" are applied. This is something I have never wanted to do. I won't install the "Advanced System..." patches because tons of tweaks rely on only a few IPKs. I don't like the "all the eggs in one basket" approach. Should they go unmaintained, it's ALL gone.

    I prefer the several little patches approach since if I change my mind, I pull out one little patch. Perhaps it's the *NIX mentality: one app for one thing (in this case "patch"). This seems to be for "controlling" one (or a few) patch(es) that do tons of things which goes completely against that (and the other "big" apps from WebOS-Internals - Govnah, Preware).

    Taking all that into account, am I to assume this isn't for someone like me?


    M.
    No you are missing the point. It does not have to be big patch that uses tweaks. It can be just a patch that adds fixed keyboard brightness. But instead of having 100 fixed keyboard patches for every single value from 0-100 (since not singe one value is ok for everyone) we can have one with configurable value.

    On the second matter wont see your point on the big patch vs small ones. When WebOS goes to new version all those small patches will need to be updated as well. If the big patch would loose maintainer everyone can take the small pieces of code from the big patch and release the smaller ones again. Patches has open license just because of these reasons for example. Anyone can take the patch or pieces and start maintaining it.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  13. #73  
    is there going to be a specific part of preware dedicated to tweaks supporting apps?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by CptOx View Post
    Installed with Web OS Quick Install 4.04 and it is working fine, directly without any type of reinstall.
    Installed with Preware...didn't work. Removed, restart, and installed with QI and it's work PERFECT!
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    Installed with Preware...didn't work. Removed, restart, and installed with QI and it's work PERFECT!
    I am guessing that rod will look into this since it seems to be consistent result for those having problems. So there might be something going on with preware related to installing services.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    No you are missing the point. It does not have to be big patch that uses tweaks. It can be just a patch that adds fixed keyboard brightness. But instead of having 100 fixed keyboard patches for every single value from 0-100 (since not singe one value is ok for everyone) we can have one with configurable value.

    On the second matter wont see your point on the big patch vs small ones. When WebOS goes to new version all those small patches will need to be updated as well. If the big patch would loose maintainer everyone can take the small pieces of code from the big patch and release the smaller ones again. Patches has open license just because of these reasons for example. Anyone can take the patch or pieces and start maintaining it.

    OK. I understand this better with this way (and Sketch's) of saying it. Thanks guys. I do see how this can be beneficial.

    As far as the second point, it's considerably easier to update a 5 line patch than it is to update a 100+ or one that requires some deep understanding of webOS. Take "Delete From Notification" for instance. That's still not updated for 2.1. Why? The underlying framework completely changed (I looked at it because I made heavy use of that patch). With the huge patches ("Advanced System..." - just as an example, not pointing fingers) requires some serious in-depth knowledge of webOS that only a very few can pick up and work with. Should that go unmaintained, it would a be long time, if ever, that it was all updated. A bunch of tiny little patches stand a considerably better chance of survival.

    This is getting way off-topic, I know, I just thought I'd better explain myself (and hand out a couple "Thanks!". ).


    M.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    DB8 databases get backed up on the Palm Profile every night and they plan to place these settings in a DB8 database..
    Ha, that's so cool!

    So how does one tell which apps, etc save to DB8 databases?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I have to admit that I don't understand the purpose of this app.

    It enables/disables various portions of patches to suit one's liking. That much I got. This implies that just a few "mega patches" are applied. This is something I have never wanted to do. I won't install the "Advanced System..." patches because tons of tweaks rely on only a few IPKs. I don't like the "all the eggs in one basket" approach. Should they go unmaintained, it's ALL gone.

    I prefer the several little patches approach since if I change my mind, I pull out one little patch. Perhaps it's the *NIX mentality: one app for one thing (in this case "patch"). This seems to be for "controlling" one (or a few) patch(es) that do tons of things which goes completely against that (and the other "big" apps from WebOS-Internals - Govnah, Preware).

    Taking all that into account, am I to assume this isn't for someone like me?


    M.
    The other thing is that if you do little patches one by one, the potential for conflict is a lot greater especially if you're modifying the same lines. However, with Tweaks, patch authors can work together to add different options to patches to lessen conflict.

    It will require more collaboration, but I think it's a great move. You may want to look in Preware and see if there are patches you think would go great combined and then ask individual patch authors to work together on them. The other thing about it is that you can turn many patches on and off without the need of a luna restart like you would need individually.

    Does anyone know how the Patches portal will be updated to include Tweaks support? For example, to finish the app, we need to do what the patch id for our app will be. Since it's a patches portal app, it'll be along the lines of org.webosinternals.og.patches.app.id right?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    OK. I understand this better with this way (and Sketch's) of saying it. Thanks guys. I do see how this can be beneficial.

    As far as the second point, it's considerably easier to update a 5 line patch than it is to update a 100+ or one that requires some deep understanding of webOS. Take "Delete From Notification" for instance. That's still not updated for 2.1. Why? The underlying framework completely changed (I looked at it because I made heavy use of that patch). With the huge patches ("Advanced System..." - just as an example, not pointing fingers) requires some serious in-depth knowledge of webOS that only a very few can pick up and work with. Should that go unmaintained, it would a be long time, if ever, that it was all updated. A bunch of tiny little patches stand a considerably better chance of survival.

    This is getting way off-topic, I know, I just thought I'd better explain myself (and hand out a couple "Thanks!". ).


    M.
    But anybody can take the 5 lines from the big patch as well. And person interested of that area (i.e. former maintainer of smaller patch) can do that easily. But I am not saying that small ones should not exist but big ones wont kill the patches even if stopped maintaining since anybody can chop it up easily. I mean the parts that existed as separate parts can be chopped very easily, but I know that there is parts that can't be chopped that easily but for most of those parts there ain't any small patches neither...

    And for the delete from notification its not because the framework changed its just because the current framework does not allow making of this. It would have been as fast and easy patch to do if possible.

    And yes bit of topic but I just want to defend not just my patches but all big ones such as uber etc.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    The other thing is that if you do little patches one by one, the potential for conflict is a lot greater especially if you're modifying the same lines. However, with Tweaks, patch authors can work together to add different options to patches to lessen conflict.

    It will require more collaboration, but I think it's a great move. You may want to look in Preware and see if there are patches you think would go great combined and then ask individual patch authors to work together on them. The other thing about it is that you can turn many patches on and off without the need of a luna restart like you would need individually.

    Does anyone know how the Patches portal will be updated to include Tweaks support? For example, to finish the app, we need to do what the patch id for our app will be. Since it's a patches portal app, it'll be along the lines of org.webosinternals.og.patches.app.id right?
    The patch portal will have option to include the json file which will be automatically renamed to the patch id which will be the form you said. And I am yet uncertain how the patch id is told to the developer but it could be also that developer use for example PATCHOWNERAPPID in place of the owner and the patch portal does replace for that so developer does not need to know about the id at all.

    EDIT: or was it that developer gives the patch id in the portal then it would be easy since the beginning of the id is as you said. I am not using portal so not the best person to answer
    Last edited by sconix; 04/11/2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Developer of Mode Switcher app & Advanced System Menus / System Prefs / Launcher Configuration patches
    - If you like my app or the patches and wish to donate, then use this link. Even small donations are appreciated and will motivate the further development of the Mode Switcher and my patches. For list of all my WebOS related work see here.
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions