Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm working on a way to "pre-activate" new unlocked GSM Pre 2 devices for full US paid app cat access. The device must have not previously been activated or logged into a Palm Profile.

The method I am working on should work on any carrier in any country. Just as if you flew to the US, activated your device with a prepaid SIM, then flew home again. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not give you access to anything that you would not have access to if you physically took that flight - it just saves you the airfare

This is not a way to unlawfully get paid apps without paying for them. A US debit card is required for app purchase. These can be obtained from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards (you must have a US address that you can use, and you must have someone willing to use their US credit card to purchase it for you).

So if you're just about to activate an unlocked GSM Pre 2 in an unsupported country, you should contact me first by PM (include your email address and full details of your situation including what device and what country).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/22/2011 at 01:11 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    This is basically whats holding me from getting a webos device cz I live in egypt, so thank you for this awesome work!!!
    Love the idea and would love to participate but unless there's a way to reactivate my device (as it was activated in Chile, and now I've moved to Argentina) I'm out....
    The next big thing from webOS-Internals. You guys do not fail to impress!
    do you have any advice for my situation?
    I activated my unlovked gsm pre2 in the UNITED STATES on CINCINNATI BELL, an unsupported carrier? I never read anything prior to activating on such things, the only thing I read was activating in an unsupported COUNTRY. Thank you
    bryan
    I can only get a Pre 2 on Rogers, and I am not going to do that, I would definitely like to get my hands on a pre-activated unlocked Pre 2, as I dont expect Bell to get any of the current line of new Pres (3 or veer)

...which means I should start looking for an unlocked pre 2!!

Damn they are expensive...$450 is a lot...
    Last edited by dpaul420; 04/04/2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm working on a way to "pre-activate" new unlocked GSM Pre 2 devices for full US paid app cat access. The device must have not previously been activated or logged into a Palm Profile.

The method I am working on should work on any carrier in any country. Just as if you flew to the US, activated your device with a prepaid SIM, then flew home again. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not give you access to anything that you would not have access to if you physically took that flight - it just saves you the airfare

This is not a way to unlawfully get paid apps without paying for them. A US debit card is required for app purchase. These can be obtained from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards ...

So if you're just about to activate an unlocked GSM Pre 2 in an unsupported country, you should contact me first.

-- Rod
    Does this work on a Pre 2 that's set up with Dr. Skipped First Use?
    Thank you Rod et al for doing this, but it is outrageous that we have to resort to hackery to give our money to a global company! I was in an HP dealer today in our massive computer mall, and the shop owner was adamant we would NEVER get a WebOS device here. As an aside the HTC shop was crowded.
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Rod,
    you are the best! thank you so much for your time and efforts.

worked like a charm.
    full US app catalog including OTA updates !!!
    Avner.
    @avnerarbel

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
    Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
    Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
    Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
    any possibility in future to get access to paid apps also for the old pre 2 already activated in unsupported country with this method?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Torakiki76 View Post
    any possibility in future to get access to paid apps also for the old pre 2 already activated in unsupported country with this method?
    First post, second sentence:

"The device must have not previously been activated or logged into a Palm Profile."

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    First post, second sentence:

"The device must have not previously been activated or logged into a Palm Profile."

-- Rod
    Yes Rod, i read it...my question is if there is the possibility in future for the device already activated...
  13.    #13  
    Yes Rod, i read it...my question is if there is the possibility in future for the device already activated...
    That is a question for Palm. Once a device record is created on the Palm servers, it cannot be changed by anyone other than Palm.

As stated in the first post, this method requires a device which does not yet have a device record created on the Palm servers.

-- Rod
    That is a question for Palm. Once a device record is created on the Palm servers, it cannot be changed by anyone other than Palm.

As stated in the first post, this method requires a device which does not yet have a device record created on the Palm servers.

-- Rod
    I also know that unfortunately , but there is no way to "mask" the device to the palm server even if has already been activated?
    I have a Pre2 with activation bypassed with #*DEVMODE#.
    I would like to know how your method works and if I can try it.

Thank you for your efforts!
    Francesco
    I also know that unfortunately , but there is no way to "mask" the device to the palm server even if has already been activated?
    Nope. That data you seek to mask is not stored on the device but fabricated from when a device is first seen on the Palm sevier and that at that point location and carrier flags are created for the IMEI/SN of that device. This data is exclusively stored on the Palm server to prevent "illegitimate" access to the catalog after the fact.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Rod, I'll try and get a unactivated Pre 2 from France.

EDIT: just saw Avner's post. So it works. Cool!
    Will other activation countries be supported in the future?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Rod, I'll try and get a unactivated Pre 2 from France.

EDIT: just saw Avner's post. So it works. Cool!
    Will other activation countries be supported in the future?
    This technique is independent of country or carrier - it is currently done without a sim card inserted.

-- Rod
    This technique is independent of country or carrier - it is currently done without a sim card inserted.

-- Rod
    I meant what if I want European apps?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I meant what if I want European apps?
    I have some ideas on that, but have not been able to test it. Testing this stuff is problematic, since you blow your one and only chance for a device on each test.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast