Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have some ideas on that, but have not been able to test it. Testing this stuff is problematic, since you blow your one and only chance for a device on each test.

-- Rod
    Just doublechecking: commboards for Pre and Pre2 are the same right?
    So it's possible to fix an failed activation test with a Pre donor?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Just doublechecking: commboards for Pre and Pre2 are the same right?
    So it's possible to fix an failed activation test with a Pre donor?
    Correct.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just finished the pre-activation with the help of Rod.
    Worked perfectly, now I have a USA profile created from Italy.
    Thank you very much!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Great work again, Rod, awesome!!!

I might consider your help when it will eventually also work to pre-activate with access to the UK app catalog so I can use my Dutch credit card. If I can grab a Pre2 cheap.

But I believe HP has finally admitted the whole activation thing is an issue they are to look into. So by the time the Pre3 arrives we might have finally been freed from this disaster.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    First post, second sentence:

"The device must have not previously been activated or logged into a Palm Profile."

-- Rod
    Hi Rod, what about this situation: I'm considering getting a SECOND Pre2, then use your method to get access to the full app store. Perhaps selling the one I have now. Could I then use my current Palm profile on the new "hacked" phone to get the content from the automatic backups back in place?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Nope. That data you seek to mask is not stored on the device but fabricated from when a device is first seen on the Palm sevier and that at that point location and carrier flags are created for the IMEI/SN of that device. This data is exclusively stored on the Palm server to prevent "illegitimate" access to the catalog after the fact.
    What about second-hand users? If a US user sells his phone to someone in another country, then HP/Palm should change that record to reflect the new owner's country of residence / service provider... Hasn't HP/Palm made any provisions for such a situation? A second hand user might not pay the manufacturer for the device but could still generate revnue for HP/Palm by buying apps & accessories...
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    Hi Rod, what about this situation: I'm considering getting a SECOND Pre2, then use your method to get access to the full app store. Perhaps selling the one I have now. Could I then use my current Palm profile on the new "hacked" phone to get the content from the automatic backups back in place?
    The phone is not 'hacked', it is pre-activated. As stated in the first post, it is exactly as if you flew to the US, activated the phone, and flew home.

The device record that is created by the pre-activation process will transfer to any palm profile you use on that device, as normally happens.

-- Rod
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    What about second-hand users? If a US user sells his phone to someone in another country, then HP/Palm should change that record to reflect the new owner's country of residence / service provider... Hasn't HP/Palm made any provisions for such a situation? A second hand user might not pay the manufacturer for the device but could still generate revnue for HP/Palm by buying apps & accessories...
    HP/Palm has made absolutely no provision for this. They refuse to change the device record. They simply do not want your money, and do not want app developers to get your money either.

-- Rod
    Count me in.... I have a Pre2 Dev phone in the box waiting for a sim (US) ... let me know what you want to do... or track worse case like i said in a different post... i'll send it back and ask for another Dev phone from Pete
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Count me in.... I have a Pre2 Dev phone in the box waiting for a sim (US) ... let me know what you want to do... or track worse case like i said in a different post... i'll send it back and ask for another Dev phone from Pete
    At this point I'm only doing tests on phones that are physically outside official countries and cannot get the paid app catalog by any local means.

Where are you located?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    thats what i figured... I'm in the USA
    At this point I'm only doing tests on phones that are physically outside official countries and cannot get the paid app catalog by any local means.

Where are you located?

-- Rod
    Rod:

I live in Chile and can't see products in the catalog, free or paid, although my Palm was activated in USA and in profile says: Palm Pre Plus UTMS North America (ATT).

I have some way of access to the catalog?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by luisgmoespinoza; 04/08/2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgmoespinoza View Post
    Rod:

I live in Chile and can't see products in the catalog, free or paid, although my Palm was activated in USA and in profile says: Palm Pre Plus UTMS North America (ATT).

I have some way of access to the catalog?

Thanks a lot.
    Move to another country.
    I think Chile is on the Blocked Countries list, as is Argentina where part of Palm's chat support is located. That's why Palm used to think it was normal to not see any apps in unofficial countries. They couldn't see any either, not even on devices that had been activated correctly.
    Am I missing something? I have read this thread twice, but I don't see the actual instructions on how to 'activate an unlocked GSM Pre 2 outside the US and still have full US paid app catalog access'. Where and how do I get the instructions to do this?

Also, just to clarify. What I have understood from the posts in this thread, is that I can now get an unlocked Pre 2 from Europe and without sending the phone to the US, I will be able to activate the phone in India and still have full US app catalog access. And all I have to do is ensure that the phone has not already been activated even once. Is this right?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Am I missing something? I have read this thread twice, but I don't see the actual instructions on how to 'activate an unlocked GSM Pre 2 outside the US and still have full US paid app catalog access'. Where and how do I get the instructions to do this?

Also, just to clarify. What I have understood from the posts in this thread, is that I can now get an unlocked Pre 2 from Europe and without sending the phone to the US, I will be able to activate the phone in India and still have full US app catalog access. And all I have to do is ensure that the phone has not already been activated even once. Is this right?
    That is what is currently being tested, yes.

-- Rod
    What I have understood from the posts in this thread, is that I can now get an unlocked Pre 2 from Europe and without sending the phone to the US, I will be able to activate the phone in India and still have full US app catalog access. And all I have to do is ensure that the phone has not already been activated even once. Is this right?
    That is what is currently being tested, yes.

-- Rod
    Any luck with this?

17.    #37  
    Any luck with this?
    It has worked for 4 out of 5 test cases. I suspect the fifth was already activated, since the owner was evasive about it's origins.

-- Rod
    Sounds promising. Now I have to figure out a way to source the phone from Europe at a reasonable price. Why is Europe always so darn expensive? By the way where can I find the instructions on how to go about doing the activation?

19.    #39  
    Sounds promising. Now I have to figure out a way to source the phone from Europe at a reasonable price. Why is Europe always so darn expensive? By the way where can I find the instructions on how to go about doing the activation?
    The first post says what to do.

-- Rod
    Rod,

Sounds good. However, I have same question as Sanjay...I don't see any instructions on how to do this in the first post. I am a novice, so may need some hand holding. I am currently living in Jamaica, purchased a Pre 2 Unlocked GSM but need to activate before it can be used on Digicel Jamaica's system. Is it just that I need to purchase a pre-paid sim and unlock the phone?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast