Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 354
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by nacho1 View Post
    I found this to work for me and also got security to work

    I know how to do it very easy

    Step by step this is what i did:

    1. Install freetether

    2. Connect your PC/Mac to mobile hot spot

    3. Go to you PC/Mac's network settings & write down: Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway & DNS

    4. On Xbox, PS3, etc go to network settings & "MANUALLY" set up your wifi connection.

    A. In IP Address put exactly what your PC/Mac's wifi is using except add 1 to the last digit, so if its a .1 make it .2 on your PS3, Xbox, etc.

    B. Then input DNS, Gateway/Router & Subnet Mask EXACTLY how you wrote it down.
    dude...
  2. #62  
    Where can I download the ipk to install manually?
  3. TRoss's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #63  
    I love this app. I cannot emphasize that enough.

    Has anyone noticed a difference between bluetooth and wifi tethering? If I use wifi my touchstone cannot keep up with charging the phone and it gets really hot. On bluetooth even if I start with a discharged battery the touchstone will charge it and the phone never gets hot. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences, I rarely see much about using bluetooth.

    It also makes it easy to keep track of tethering usage in netstat because that app distinguishes data over bluetooth.

    I'm on a macbook with 10.6.4, a Sprint Pre with webOS 2.1.0, überkernel @ 500/1000.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  4. #64  
    Since wifi was essentially useless because of the speed, I tried USB. Enabled USBnet, attached to my netbook. Disabled wireless on the netbook. Auto usb0 appeared, had device set to "just charge". Netbook showed it was connected. However, Firefox keeps giving me a "failed to connect" message. Suggestions?
  5. rswimports's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    freeTether 1.0.x is finally out and is available via Preware (no more testing feed).

    Features
    ---------
    * USB, Bluetooth and WiFi Tethering
    * webOS 1.4.5 and 2.x.x support
    * Configurable DHCP settings
    * Open and WPA2 encryption for wifi

    For more information about freeTether visit the wiki.

    Bug Reports & Feature Requests

    Just wondering how you enable security option, grayed out on mine but works fine otherwise. By the way just read your wiki and it could be that i didnot remove freetetherd or mobile hotspot. Thanks, Scott
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by rswimports View Post
    Just wondering how you enable security option, grayed out on mine but works fine otherwise. By the way just read your wiki and it could be that i didnot remove freetetherd or mobile hotspot. Thanks, Scott
    You cant change settings for an interface while its enabled. Disable tethering on that particular interface and you should be able to change settings. After you change the settings turn tethering back on.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    Was on my PS3 for about five hours the other day. Online, using the Pre via wifi tether. So, yes.

    That is Epic!!!
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRoss View Post
    I love this app. I cannot emphasize that enough.

    Has anyone noticed a difference between bluetooth and wifi tethering? If I use wifi my touchstone cannot keep up with charging the phone and it gets really hot. On bluetooth even if I start with a discharged battery the touchstone will charge it and the phone never gets hot. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences, I rarely see much about using bluetooth.

    It also makes it easy to keep track of tethering usage in netstat because that app distinguishes data over bluetooth.

    I'm on a macbook with 10.6.4, a Sprint Pre with webOS 2.1.0, überkernel @ 500/1000.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I personally love using BT tethering. I usually use BT or USB, hardly ever use Wifi.
  9. schlk21's Avatar
    Posts
    775 Posts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    #69  
    I'd like to give BT a try, but I can't get my Windows 7 laptop to connect. Says it can't pair without a code.
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

    Thanks webOS Internals!

    @thereddestdog
  10. #70  
    Thanks so much for continuing to develop ways to make our devices better! I was hoping that this would work for me.
    While I was able to get it to work with my netbook and laptop (win7 and vista). |It just would not connect to my android tablet (viewsonic gtab). It would get stuck at obtaining an IP adress :<.
    I will try future builds and donate when I can get this to work. For now I am back to mobile hotspot hacked on to my Bell Pre.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Thanks so much for continuing to develop ways to make our devices better! I was hoping that this would work for me.
    While I was able to get it to work with my netbook and laptop (win7 and vista). |It just would not connect to my android tablet (viewsonic gtab). It would get stuck at obtaining an IP adress :<.
    I will try future builds and donate when I can get this to work. For now I am back to mobile hotspot hacked on to my Bell Pre.
    What tethering method were you using? Assuming WiFi.
    If you were using WiFi did you try it with and without security (OPEN/WPA)?

    Sounds like the app is working fine and the Android device is having the troubles.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  12. #72  
    I greatly appreciate the development of this app. I've used My Tether in the past with no problems, but I'm still looking for some solutions.
    1. Extremely slow speeds using wifi with reasonable download speeds to the phone alone
    2. USB tethering connects (via Ubuntu netbook) but browser cannot connect to the web.

    Appreciate any more suggestions; thanks.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post
    Thanks so much for continuing to develop ways to make our devices better! I was hoping that this would work for me.
    While I was able to get it to work with my netbook and laptop (win7 and vista). |It just would not connect to my android tablet (viewsonic gtab). It would get stuck at obtaining an IP adress :<.
    I will try future builds and donate when I can get this to work. For now I am back to mobile hotspot hacked on to my Bell Pre.
    I've got a g-tab also and this works for me. I have WPA security enabled in FreeTether. Often it will connect but get stuck obtaining IP address. Sometimes turning WiFi of & on on gtab makes it connect. If not, I shut it down then after restarting, it connects OK.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I greatly appreciate the development of this app. I've used My Tether in the past with no problems, but I'm still looking for some solutions.
    1. Extremely slow speeds using wifi with reasonable download speeds to the phone alone
    2. USB tethering connects (via Ubuntu netbook) but browser cannot connect to the web.

    Appreciate any more suggestions; thanks.
    I've had the real slow speeds also - 25% or less using FreeTether over WiFi w/ WAP vs 3G Mobile Hotspot over WiFi w/ WAP Enabled.

    I've tested both on multiple devices at the same location & times. Averaging 10 runs each, FreeTether is around 25% of 3G Mobile HotSpot's transfer rates - up & down. Ping times are comparable.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I've had the real slow speeds also - 25% or less using FreeTether over WiFi w/ WAP vs 3G Mobile Hotspot over WiFi w/ WAP Enabled.

    I've tested both on multiple devices at the same location & times. Averaging 10 runs each, FreeTether is around 25% of 3G Mobile HotSpot's transfer rates - up & down. Ping times are comparable.
    I'm just wondering if the fact that I have My Tether installed as well could do anything to slow things down. Or if there's a patch or something we have in common that could cause this. Has to be something if very few people are running that slow.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm just wondering if the fact that I have My Tether installed as well could do anything to slow things down. Or if there's a patch or something we have in common that could cause this. Has to be something if very few people are running that slow.
    Not to say that they can't coexist, but it is recommended to remove all tethering solutions before installing and using freeTether.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  17. #77  
    Also trying USB tethering; the netbook says it's connected to Auto USB0 and it's active; but Freetether doesn't show any devices connected. What did I not do?
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Not to say that they can't coexist, but it is recommended to remove all tethering solutions before installing and using freeTether.
    I know...it's just that it took me forever to get My Tether going and I'm reluctant to dump it unless I knew Freetether would work. I am assuming you leave the device on "just charge" when USB tethering, correct?
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    Not to say that they can't coexist, but it is recommended to remove all tethering solutions before installing and using freeTether.
    The only problem is with my VZW Pre 2, the 3G Mobile Hotspot app is in ROM & can't be removed. Of course when I run FreeTether 3G Mobile Hotspot is turned off. It doesn't show up in Jstop so I wouldn't think there'd be interference.

    It just doesn't make sense if EVERYTHING else is the same, swapping FreeTether and 3G Mobile Hotspot should perform so differently.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I know...it's just that it took me forever to get My Tether going and I'm reluctant to dump it unless I knew Freetether would work. I am assuming you leave the device on "just charge" when USB tethering, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The only problem is with my VZW Pre 2, the 3G Mobile Hotspot app is in ROM & can't be removed. Of course when I run FreeTether 3G Mobile Hotspot is turned off. It doesn't show up in Jstop so I wouldn't think there'd be interference.

    It just doesn't make sense if EVERYTHING else is the same, swapping FreeTether and 3G Mobile Hotspot should perform so differently.
    Well... maybe in the earlier releases of freeTether that was more of an issue. I can't say for certain if that is the case now. Meaning... if they can coexist or not.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions