Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Wow, got my wifi access work, couldn't do it with ver 0.99, this one worked like a charm. Device is Pre2, with webOS 2.10.

However, I did lost my access to the USB storage mode. Before when I connect my USB cable to the phone, it will ask me if I want to connect as USB storage or charge only. Now all it says is just charging battery. Nothing else. I used to have the freeTether 0.99 version and have uninstalled it before installing this 1.0.x version. I did not see larryflynt2k post.

After reading his posts, I uninstalled ver 1.0.x, rebooted and re-connected my USB cable, and it still says battery charging.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: NVM, I rebooted my Pre and my laptop. That fixed the problem.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 03/28/2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: fixed the problem.
    Question: I using this Freetether via USB but for some reason after following the steps in the USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals site plus the additional instructions pointed at Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki, drivers would not install.

The failure happens when I get to the point of selecting the usbnet-pre.inf, windows just comes back and says: "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".
    changed usb port and it worked LOL, thx for the great app.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    I really have no idea how data usage was tracked in MHS. I have never used it and can only speculate. However, freeTether just uses basic NAT, im fairly confident that traffic generated by devices connected thought freeTether can not be distinguished from traffic generated by the phone itself.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the VZW hotspot data is only able to be tracked online through My VZW. The MHS app doesn't keep track.

I was hoping the Internals crew could somehow implement some sort of data tracking, even if it isn't as accurate as some would like. FreeTether could be used as a ballpark figure and the website could be used for actual, since VZW updates the numbers the next day.
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but the VZW hotspot data is only able to be tracked online through My VZW. The MHS app doesn't keep track.

I was hoping the Internals crew could somehow implement some sort of data tracking, even if it isn't as accurate as some would like. FreeTether could be used as a ballpark figure and the website could be used for actual, since VZW updates the numbers the next day.
    When I was talking about "tracking data usage" I was talking about for the purpose of charging customers who have hot spot data caps.

However, I see no reason why would couldn't implement our own form tracking for personal use. Please check the issue tracker and if a feature request does not already exist, make one.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I have a 5 GB cap for hotspot

I figure, if you have a computer or two hooked up to freeTether, the couple of KB or MB the Pre uses to check email and browse the internet would be trumped by the hundreds of MB or few GB the computers would use.

I bet the tracking in freeTether and My VZW would be very close
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Tracker updated, hope to see it implemented soon!
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    I've updated the wiki to reflect the recent changes in accessing freeTether (testing > public feeds) along with changelog info.

The wiki of course is available as usual, here.
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 03/28/2011 at 01:10 PM.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    got my sprint pre- and i'm trying to connect to my ps3 via wifi but keep getting an ip time out error i have reloaded the app twice but still no luck any suggestions?
    On the PS3, it works for me when I change the security setting to, "Open". It's risky but works. I haven't found a way to get it to work using WPA security setting
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    On the PS3, it works for me when I change the security setting to, "Open". It's risky but works. I haven't found a way to get it to work using WPA security setting
    Are you telling me the connection is fast enough to play ps3 or xbox live via wifi tethering? If so, that is awesome!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post

Try using Netstat, search for it in Preware. That should help you keep track of the amount of data you use overall, & not just via MHS or freeTether.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by kristoffer10 View Post
    I tried it on open also and got the same results. Should I be changing the default DHCP and gateway, do you think that's the issue? Man um so lost on this.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    So, now that it's off the testing feeds, I decided to wade through the setup process so I could use USB tethering if needed. I went to the free tether wiki, followed the link to usbnet setup wiki, and even the loading drivers wiki. However, the driver file I downloaded (renamed as usbnet-pre.inf) is a text file, and windows XP can't see it when browsing in the driver setup wizard.

Do I have to edit the file somehow so that it works?

TIA,
    DM
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    ...However, the driver file I downloaded (renamed as usbnet-pre.inf) is a text file, and windows XP can't see it when browsing in the driver setup wizard.

Do I have to edit the file somehow so that it works?

TIA,
    DM
    No you don't have to edit anything in that file. When you say it's a text file do you mean it has a .txt extension? If the file you downloaded then renamed has a .txt extension, the driver installation dialogs in Windows might be only looking for .inf files not .txt files.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    That's what happened. Due to XP's ways, it is named "usbnet-pre.ini" but has the usually unseen .txt extension, since it has the Notepad icon for the file and is labeled as such in the Properties dialog window. How do I change it from a .txt file to an .ini file, if that's what I have to do?

Would it work to Save As, using other encoding? I have the choices of ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian, or UTF-8.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    That's what happened. Due to XP's ways, it is named "usbnet-pre.ini" but has the usually unseen .txt extension, since it has the Notepad icon for the file and is labeled as such in the Properties dialog window. How do I change it from a .txt file to an .ini file, if that's what I have to do?
    Well there is more than one way to do this, but try this...

1) Go into the Control Panel
    2) Open the Folder Options
    3) Click the View tab
    4) Scoll down the list of advanced settings until you see "Hide extensions for known file types"
    5) Check that box.
    6) Click Apply, click Ok, close those windows.
    7) Find that file, right-click and pick rename.
    8) Erase what is listed and then type in usbnet-pre.ini
    9) Click off of the file/Click elsewhere. The file should be renamed and recognized as an ini file.
    10) Proceed with driver installation per the wiki pages.

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Bingo! Thanks a lot!
    Just installed to try it out. Connects fine with my laptop, but running very slow, with EV lit and five bars. Ping 550, Download .06-.1, upload .05. Just using default settings on everything. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by rioblaq View Post
    I tried it on open also and got the same results. Should I be changing the default DHCP and gateway, do you think that's the issue? Man um so lost on this.
    I don't know about the PS3, but when I tried to tether with my Nintendo DS the first time, I could never get it to work, so I just set up WiFi manually from my DS.

What you want to do is use the same Gateway and Subnet that you see in the Freetether DHCP Server/ TCP/IP Prefs. You can use the same DHCP Start if you're only tethering one device. Then for DNS, I just used Google DNS. After setting everything up manually, I got it to work.

Since this is an older DS, I had to used open security, so I'm not sure if this will work when you have WPA2.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast