Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 354
Like Tree4Likes
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm having issues running freetether on my Veer. It seems to work while it's running, but I can't seem to turn it off properly. The DHCP and IP forwarding lights stay on, and if I go to a different scene, then come back to the main scene, the switch is back on. So then I'll turn off the tethering switch again, and toss the card. But something is still happening in the background, consuming my battery, requiring a restart.

    Anyone else having issues with freetether on the Veer?
    Yes, me too, after I am finished using FreeTether on my Veer and exit, the SSID of my freetether wifi hotspot network remains visable to any device within range. I've had to restart the veer to get it to disappear or turn off.

    One thing I have not checked is to see if turning on the Veer's WiFi after exiting FreeTether will turn off the FreeTether's wifi ssid sharing hotspot.

    My guess is it might ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  2. #262  
    Other people are posting in the Veer forums about having some issues with freetether. How can we help?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Other people are posting in the Veer forums about having some issues with freetether. How can we help?
    Wish I could be more help, but I don't have a dev Veer yet.
  4. #264  
    same issue on my veer. it seems freetetherd stay on even after turning it off as the ip forwarding light/icon is still colored.
  5.    #265  
    Whether or not IP forwarding is on or off shouldnt really matter.
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Wish I could be more help, but I don't have a dev Veer yet.
    I understand. I know how hard it can be to troubleshoot an issue that only occurs on one kind of device without your own to test.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Whether or not IP forwarding is on or off shouldnt really matter.
    maybe so and freetether works great but im trying to locate whats eating my battery life.
  8.    #268  
    Well ip_forwarding "should" turn off, if its not, that probably a symptom of a bigger issue but I can guarantee that its not the fact that ip_forwarding thats eating your battery
  9. #269  
    Doctored my Sprint webOS 1.4.5 Pre

    Now freeTether doesn't work.

    The wifi loading just spins and IP Forwarding and DHCP "lights" don't turn green.

    It was working great before...

    Help.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
  10. #270  
    Okay.

    I installed freeTetherD again and freeTether still didn't work, so I eventually gave up and uninstalled freeTether.

    I then had the occasion to restart the phone. Then I remembered that you had to install freeTetherD first, reboot, then install freeTether. So I re-installed freeTether and (as I had installed freeTetherD and restarted) this time it worked like a charm.

    In fact, it seems to be working better.

    I had noticed that sometimes when I quit the app my computer would still be seeing the WiFi signal afterward. Which, if it were true that the app was somehow not fully quitting, would explain why the phone would be warm and the battery would disappear quickly.

    Has this been an issue for anyone else?

    It seems to have been corrected with this circuitous installation that I've just done.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
  11. #271  
    Okay, I just uninstalled freeTetherD (why didn't someone let me know it was unnecessary I wonder?) and it is now running really fast.

    I check mobilespeedtest.com and was getting between 473 and 574 kbps, which seems really fast - or at least faster than I'm used to.

    I noticed when I quit the app my computer would still be seeing the WiFi signal again. The phone was getting really warm and the battery would disappear rapidly until I did a reboot.

    Perhaps now that I have removed freeTetherD that will all stop?

    Or am I desperately naive?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
  12.    #272  
    Where are you even finding freeTetherD? I thought I removed that from all the feeds so that no one would mistakenly download and install it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Okay, I just uninstalled freeTetherD (why didn't someone let me know it was unnecessary I wonder?) and it is now running really fast.

    I check mobilespeedtest.com and was getting between 473 and 574 kbps, which seems really fast - or at least faster than I'm used to.

    I noticed when I quit the app my computer would still be seeing the WiFi signal again. The phone was getting really warm and the battery would disappear rapidly until I did a reboot.

    Perhaps now that I have removed freeTetherD that will all stop?

    Or am I desperately naive?
  13. #273  
    I have a copy of freeTetherD archived on my computer, but it was available on Preware up until at least a day ago under Services.

    I just checked now and it's gone. I'm assuming you took it down.

    Thing is, isn't it still useful for those who want to use MHS?

    Shadowhawk's post here is testament to the fact that some people still like using it.

    Personally I like freeTether way better myself, but my girlfriend likes MHS. She likes the little chime sound when a device connects, she like the small icon banner to show that it's actively running on her phone.

    For those who like MHS don't they need you to leave it up?


    Also: any thoughts on why the phone heats up and the battery drains after quitting freeTether?

    I run it plugged in to an adapter and positioned on a stand that has a mini fan under it, so while I'm connecting it can actually top off the battery and not overheat.

    In previous iterations of I would close the app, but my computer would still be seeing the WiFi signal. Now the computer indicates it as shut off as soon as I either turn off the WiFi or close the app, but I still have the phone heat-up and battery drain unless I restart the phone immediately on quitting the app.

    Is this unique to my experience of freeTehter?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
  14. PLinger's Avatar
    Posts
    120 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #274  
    Not everyone has access to the MHS. Even if MHS were available I'd also prefer freetether because the bluetooth mode and usb mode are less taxing on the battery. Freetether is a very well done app and I'd very much like to see it working again. Due to the rumored Pre3 delay I'm considering getting the Veer or Pre 2. A working freetether on either of the phones would play a huge part in my decision.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Not everyone has access to the MHS. Even if MHS were available I'd also prefer freetether because the bluetooth mode and usb mode are less taxing on the battery. Freetether is a very well done app and I'd very much like to see it working again. Due to the rumored Pre3 delay I'm considering getting the Veer or Pre 2. A working freetether on either of the phones would play a huge part in my decision.
    I can't speak for use of freeTether on a Veer, but I use freeTether a lot on my Pre2 without any issues whatsoever.

    For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  16. cap
    cap is offline
    cap's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #276  
    FreeTether does work on the Veer, but there are some issues.

    I only use the wifi teethering and I have issues turning it off.
    I often have to reboot the phone to get it off.

    I'm hoping the devs will get that fixed.
  17.    #277  
    You veer users can always just manually turn on in the normal system menu. That will guarantee that the phone is out of access point mode.
  18. #278  
    Hello again guys, after a loooong time!

    I have a problem with the fantastic FreeTether. It's working right here, on this WindowsXP MCE SP3, but I can't get it working at home, where I really need it. There is a Windows 2003 Server. Pretty rare for a desktop computer, I know, but I have a childhood obsession for server operating systems as my development computer.

    When I enable USB tethering, as soon as I enable the new network connection in Windows, my GSM Movistar Pre- on 2.1 restarts. After a nifty fade out of the screen, never seen before.

    I also have Novacom not listening to me, so I wonder what kind of obscenities my computer sends to the Pre via USB, to make it so angry.

    I guess I'll have to wipe out anything related to "usbnet" in this computer. The thing is... I'm sure it WORKED a couple of months ago.
  19.    #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Hello again guys, after a loooong time!

    I have a problem with the fantastic FreeTether. It's working right here, on this WindowsXP MCE SP3, but I can't get it working at home, where I really need it. There is a Windows 2003 Server. Pretty rare for a desktop computer, I know, but I have a childhood obsession for server operating systems as my development computer.

    When I enable USB tethering, as soon as I enable the new network connection in Windows, my GSM Movistar Pre- on 2.1 restarts. After a nifty fade out of the screen, never seen before.

    I also have Novacom not listening to me, so I wonder what kind of obscenities my computer sends to the Pre via USB, to make it so angry.

    I guess I'll have to wipe out anything related to "usbnet" in this computer. The thing is... I'm sure it WORKED a couple of months ago.
    Ya that is very weird indeed. Definitely try uninstalling any novacom drivers and re-installing the latest versions.
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    Ya that is very weird indeed. Definitely try uninstalling any novacom drivers and re-installing the latest versions.
    Well, I'm online again with my Pre, connected to this Windows 2003 Server SP2! I did the following:

    - Opened the device manager ("devmgmt.msc"), and went to the network adapters branch. I see there just my "Intel(R) 82566DM Gigabit Network Connection"... not connected to anything as there's no internet at my home.

    - Plugged my Pre to the USB port of this computer.

    - Started Freetether 1.1.3.

    - Enabled USB interface. In the device manager, the "Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" immediately appears.

    - Quickly, I uninstall the device.

    - Disabled USB interface in FreeTether.

    - Searched for any installation file ("INF") named "usbnet". An apparently current version popped up, and deleted it.

    - Put the current "widows_usbnet_pre.inf" file in "%SYSTEMROOT%\inf" folder.

    - Stopped the novacom service ("NET STOP NOVACOMD"), just in case.

    - Enabled the USB interface again in FreeTether, which made Windows recognize it again, and did the usual chore for installing: Don't search, will do it myself, list available network adapter drivers, there it is - twice in the list (?), accept this being evil software ;-).

    In all, around a minute. I don't know what screwed "usbnet" in this computer, or perhaps it should never work alongside novacom, but I'm on the net again!

Posting Permissions