Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I use freeTether with 2 laptops 1 win7 and my main laptop which uses ubuntu 11.04

I have been noticing that the linux laptop is always A LOT slower than the windows one, sometimes slowing to a crawl. Bandwith can't be an issue because after firing up the windows laptop - normal speeds etc ...

What should I check out on the linux side of things? does freetether not play nice with certain know settings.

Tried the standard stuff:
    * rebooting phone/laptop
    * reinstalling freeTether
    * resetting connection to the phone and the network
    * hardwarewise there is no difference between the win and the linux laptops
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikez_ View Post
    I use freeTether with 2 laptops 1 win7 and my main laptop which uses ubuntu 11.04

I have been noticing that the linux laptop is always A LOT slower than the windows one, sometimes slowing to a crawl. Bandwith can't be an issue because after firing up the windows laptop - normal speeds etc ...

What should I check out on the linux side of things? does freetether not play nice with certain know settings.

Tried the standard stuff:
    * rebooting phone/laptop
    * reinstalling freeTether
    * resetting connection to the phone and the network
    * hardwarewise there is no difference between the win and the linux laptops
    Its hard to tell when you dont tell us if you are using USB, BT or WiFI. What desktop env you are using. What you are using to manage your network connection with, etc. There are lots of variables.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    To clarify:
    * WIFI Tethering (no security)
    * Ubuntu 11.04 with the standard NetworkManager using Gnome classic
    * using the latest version of free Tether from the preware feeds
    Hey guys I love freetether and also was having some really slow speeds. When I tested them I was at around 0.21 down and 0.16 up mbps. I fixed it by doing something that I didn't know I could do. Click on the call button, click top left where it says sprint, click on preferences, scroll down and click " update network settings" Then reboot your phone. I never saw this but when I did it I jumped to around 2.0 down and 1.5 up So not sure if this will work for all but it did for me.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm using Freetether (awesome!) to connect to a Mac, through which we are streaming our churh service each Sunday. What I want to do is determine how much data we use while streaming each week. Would like to get an aircard or something we can use each week, but without knowing how much bandwidth we use, it's hard to judge. I'm thinking we can hopefully get a $20 plan that allows 2gb/month. Anyone know an app I can use with freetether to track just this instance? Thanks WebOS INTERNALS!
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm using Freetether (awesome!) to connect to a Mac, through which we are streaming our churh service each Sunday. What I want to do is determine how much data we use while streaming each week. Would like to get an aircard or something we can use each week, but without knowing how much bandwidth we use, it's hard to judge. I'm thinking we can hopefully get a $20 plan that allows 2gb/month. Anyone know an app I can use with freetether to track just this instance? Thanks WebOS INTERNALS!
    Netstat maybe? (Preware)
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks. I did download NETstat, and tried tether to a hackintosh, then ran speedtest.net. I reset NETSTAT just before doing this. When finished with running a speed test (twice) Netstat reported 3mb used on the wifi line. I am assuming this means I used 3 mb of wife tether.

On another note I did get horrible speeds...not sure what's up with that. .22 down and .08 up, and that was the better of the two! Thanks.
    Thanks. I did download NETstat, and tried tether to a hackintosh, then ran speedtest.net. I reset NETSTAT just before doing this. When finished with running a speed test (twice) Netstat reported 3mb used on the wifi line. I am assuming this means I used 3 mb of wife tether.

On another note I did get horrible speeds...not sure what's up with that. .22 down and .08 up, and that was the better of the two! Thanks.
    Just keep in mind that data cards have a set cap limit of 5GB per-month, while data accessed through a phone is unlimited. So you might be better off tethering your church services.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Just keep in mind that data cards have a set cap limit of 5GB per-month, while data accessed through a phone is unlimited. So you might be better off tethering your church services.
    yeah, I did some research on the carriers around us, and most of them require a plan first of all. Second, others have a 1 gb for 20 at the min plan, that's just not enough. I guess we'll be tethering for a while. Hopefully when the Pre3 arrives on Sprint we can still do it!

Thanks for the help.
    yeah, I did some research on the carriers around us, and most of them require a plan first of all. Second, others have a 1 gb for 20 at the min plan, that's just not enough. I guess we'll be tethering for a while. Hopefully when the Pre3 arrives on Sprint we can still do it!

Thanks for the help.
    Your welcome. If Sprint does get the Pre3 or some other WebOS device, I would imagine that FreeTether would still work on the devices. If not at first, after a little while of work from the developer.

11.    #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Your welcome. If Sprint does get the Pre3 or some other WebOS device, I would imagine that FreeTether would still work on the devices. If not at first, after a little while of work from the developer.
    First, Sprint will not be getting any webOS device with a slider! Second, the freeTether has been reported to work on the Pre3 already.
  12. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    hello once again freetether users! I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, but I have some updates from my own usage I'd like to share, as well as a request for some assistance.
    First of all, I'd like to say that using the bluetooth tethering method with my Pixi and the latest version of Freetether worked FANTASTICALLY on my friend's macbook. I paired it with the built in bluetooth assistant, and it recognized it as a PAN, and walked me through set up. The computer was running 10.5.8(Leopard).

As for assistance, I finally got a new laptop, and with that, I finally have a portable device running Windows 7 64-bit. With this, I would like to USB tether. What is the easiest way to set up usb tethering on Win 7 64? Is this method still applicable from the wiki: My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! ?

Once again, I'd like to thank the webosinternals team for an amazing app!
  13. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    need serious help, I want internet access in my hotel room(the free wifi is awful). I plugged in my pixi via usb and then turned on usb in freetether. I installed the driver in 7 x64. Then my laptop froze until I unplugged the usb cable. I do not have novacom or the sdk on this computer. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    need serious help, I want internet access in my hotel room(the free wifi is awful). I plugged in my pixi via usb and then turned on usb in freetether. I installed the driver in 7 x64. Then my laptop froze until I unplugged the usb cable. I do not have novacom or the sdk on this computer. Any suggestions?
    Is it a Pixi or a Pixi Plus? If a Pixi Plus, why don't you try WiFi mode. If a regular Pixi, use Bluetooth mode if your laptop supports Bluetooth.
  15. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    well it randomly worked. Getting about 50kbps on downloads. Is that normal?
    well it randomly worked. Getting about 50kbps on downloads. Is that normal?
    That's on the slow side. Are you tethering a laptop to FreeTether, or some other device like an iPod Touch?

17. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    it's a laptop via usb. it could be an overloaded cell tower, because I have 5 bars(im right by disneyworld and universal, so tons of tourists using service in a congested area).
    it's a laptop via usb. it could be an overloaded cell tower, because I have 5 bars(im right by disneyworld and universal, so tons of tourists using service in a congested area).
    Have you thought about getting an Airave? That will help your phone max out your data speeds. It did for me. FreeTether still doesn't run at super fast speeds, but it's faster with the Airave, then it is without.

freetether just doesn't seem to work well if at all via usb for Windows 7 64 bit users. It works fine over wifi but you can't get close to the speeds possible when connected with a cable. Your phone will act like an old router with the data rate capped at 54 mps.
    I'm having issues running freetether on my Veer. It seems to work while it's running, but I can't seem to turn it off properly. The DHCP and IP forwarding lights stay on, and if I go to a different scene, then come back to the main scene, the switch is back on. So then I'll turn off the tethering switch again, and toss the card. But something is still happening in the background, consuming my battery, requiring a restart.

Anyone else having issues with freetether on the Veer?