Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed extremely slow speeds on Sprint? I'm seeing less than 56k down, sometimes much less. I've tried it with both Pre's in our house and it's the same thing. I used to be able to speed along above 1Mbps. It's been quite a while since I used Freetether, but I do need it this week, but so far it looks like a no go.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    Has anyone else noticed extremely slow speeds on Sprint? I'm seeing less than 56k down, sometimes much less. I've tried it with both Pre's in our house and it's the same thing. I used to be able to speed along above 1Mbps. It's been quite a while since I used Freetether, but I do need it this week, but so far it looks like a no go.
    I am on Sprint and see the same crappy speeds most if the time. Their support forum is full of threads about bandwidth issues. It's just a case of their network being so overcrowded most of the time.
    I get much better speeds when I'm roaming on Verizon than when I'm on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamand View Post
    Are you talking about slow data speeds through FreeTether? Because I have been getting really slow speeds while using FreeTether. I tested my phone and I was pulling in on average 2000kbps on my Pre, but only 170kbps on my iPod Touch; which was connected through FreeTether. I thought this Airave would help speed up FreeTether, but it hasn't changed it at all. I still love FreeTether like crazy. I just wish I could pull in faster data speeds, because it takes hours to download large iPod Touch games at these speeds. Maybe my phone settings are incorrect. Or maybe a patch is messing with FreeTether. Or maybe my iPod Touch is to blame. I don't really know. I just hope that I can figure this out.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/12/2011 at 11:57 PM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Maybe check out the Unthrottle Download Manager patch? I don't download too much on my Pre, or use FT much, so I can't say how good this is.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Maybe check out the Unthrottle Download Manager patch? I don't download too much on my Pre, or use FT much, so I can't say how good this is.
    Yeah I have that patch on my phone. I'm not even sure if the patch works anymore. For all I know that patch could be causing my slow FreeTether data speeds. I should uninstall it and runs some tests without it and see if my data speeds change any. Thanks for making the suggestion though!

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

I have problems with tethering my android tablet to the palm pre. FreeTether sometimes connects via WLAN, but most of the times I'm waiting almost forever (>= 5 min), just reading "Getting IP address..." without any success. Rebooting the tablet helps. But only sometimes. I tried with a freshly doctored PreMinus 2.1.0, and only FreeTether installed (no Palm Mobile Hotspot). It's the same problem as before.

What can be the reason? I had Palm Mobile Hotspot installed before, here I reliably got a WLAN connection in just one or two seconds. From my point of view, there seems to be an issue with FreeTether's IP protocol.
    I had the same issue with my tablet (Viewsonic gtab). If I reset the tablet after starting freeTether it would connect normally. Later I found the DHCP setting we're causing the problems & manually changing them didn't seem to work.

Tap on DHCP server. If it says Gateway is anything other than 192.168.100.1, I found the easiest thing to do was to remove freeTether, restart, and reinstall freeTether to enable the new default settings. After I did that, my tablet has connected right away, the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    freeTether 1.1.3 will be in the feeds in the next 15-30min. I've added back the advanced usb prefs option so that no more terminal or patching is needed. This really shouldn't be needed but since so many of you seem to be having issues....

Do note, that you will need to type in a secret passphrase to access the advanced prefs.

I enter the passphase every time i enable/disable any usbpref options. Is there a way to enter it once so i don't have to repeat it over and over again? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by larryflynt2k View Post
    I enter the passphase every time i enable/disable any usbpref options. Is there a way to enter it once so i don't have to repeat it over and over again? Thanks
    It's quite easy to modify the script. Just take a look at /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.freetether/app/assistants/usbPrefs-assistant.jsjsjs

HTH

Carsten
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Tap on DHCP server. If it says Gateway is anything other than 192.168.100.1
    But this is OK in my case.
  12.    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryflynt2k View Post
    I made it annoying on purpose, you shouldn't need to change it more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    But this is OK in my case.
    Yes 10.x.x.x is correct for a private Class A network, but a few pages back puffthemagic changed it to 192.168.100.1 as a private Class C network (although technically for a private class C network it should be 192.168.0.x) because some people we're having problems with the 10.x.x.x.
    Yes 10.x.x.x is correct for a private Class A network, but a few pages back puffthemagic changed it to as a private Class C network (although technically for a private class C network it should be 192.168.0.x) because some people we're having problems with the 10.x.x.x.
    Actually, any number from 0 to 255 on the third octet, with a netmask of 24 bits represent a class C network, so, both 192.168.100.x and 192.168.0.x are.
    Granted, according to RFC 1918, any address of 192.168.x.x qualifies as a private network. Traditionall, if there is no reason to do otherwise, a Class C private network is assigned 192.168.0.x with a gateway of 192.168.0.1/2. This is done so engineers can quickly identify a network and has been we'll adhered to for decades. When a standard isn't "standard enough", we want, and will refine an accepted standard that alleviates confusion.

That is why most network peripherals will come preconfigured with a static IP address of 192.168.0.x often as an attempt to avoid collision. Of course you can (and should) change those defaults and, optionally switch from static IP addresses to dynamic addresses using DHCP to allocate non-static IP addresses to hosts that don't require them to further reduce the risk of IP address duplication on the same network.

So, technically freeTeather is properly allocating an address within the private Class C range, the dev has decided to go against long established conventions which could cause confusion later.
    didn't think it was going to be that easy! thanks
  17.    #237  
    So, technically freeTeather is properly allocating an address within the private Class C range, the dev has decided to go against long established conventions which could cause confusion later.
    192.168.0.1/2??? Did you mean 192.168.0.1/24???

I purposefully chose not to use 192.168.0.x/24 or 192.168.1.x/24 to avoid colliding with any existing home routers. I didn't break any convention or standard.
  18.    #238  
    I found the easiest thing to do was to remove freeTether, restart, and reinstall freeTether to enable the new default settings.
    Really? That was easier than setting any valid gateway/subnet combo?
    Really? That was easier than setting any valid gateway/subnet combo?
    Yes, even after I manually set them to the right addresses, it still would not let my tablet reliably connect the first time. Out of desperation, I removed freeTether, restarted, re-installed freeTether and all the defaults we're set & everything connects on the first go.

It doesn't make sense, but there's a few operations I do where restarting between steps works.
    192.168.0.1/2??? Did you mean 192.168.0.1/24???

I purposefully chose not to use 192.168.0.x/24 or 192.168.1.x/24 to avoid colliding with any existing home routers. I didn't break any convention or standard.
    No problem. Like I said, technically what you've selected is fully in accordance with RFC (obviously because IT WORKS!), just different from what I expected.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like a nastygram if it did. I'm in bed with the flu pretty bad and I probably shouldn't be on the boards any way until my head clears.