Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwy62 View Post
    I did not have success with either of these methods, but combining them worked for me. I am using FT v1.1.2.

First, with security set to WPA2, I tried connecting my netbook and then the Kindle 3. This did not work, the netbook connected, but not the Kindle.

Second, I set security to Open, and tried to use the static IP settings above on my Kindle 3. This did not work either.

I then reconnected my netbook to FT via WiFi and retried the Kindle with Open security and the static IP settings. I got a connection with the Kindle and was able to test it with the web browser on the Kindle.

I have tested this 2x now. With Open security and a static IP for the Kindle, and connecting my netbook first, I am able to make an FT connection to my Kindle.
    I'll keep on trying, but:

1. I'm only interested in getting internet on my Kindle when I'm not at home -nor near an available hotspot- to download the periodicals automatically sent by my PC to it,
    2. When I'm not at home nor have an available internet connection, I cannot first connect my Kindle to other net.

Despite that, I've been out of home from 26 to 29th of april, and I've been able to get a working connection of my Kindle to FT 1.1.2 every day... wasting some time in:

a. trying to connect to it through dhcp -never worked-,
    b. trying a manual connection -worked very few times-,
    c. restarting the kindle's wifi,
    d. restarting the FT's wifi sharing,
    e. stopping the FT's wifi sharing, shutting down FT and opening it again...
    f. all of the above with security = open

I still cannot reproduce a working schema... I'll post here if once I've got more information.

Thanks!
    The Pre world is a much better place for freetether and there's no doubt about it. It would be good though to hear from the developers about the usb problems I've posted on before. Wifi is a decent fallback, but you will not get anywhere near the speed of a usb connection to the phone on 3g or to an N type router (if you're in one's vicinity and can log on).
    I also would like the usb problems to be fixed. I can't get it to connect via usb with my windows 7 64 bit laptop or my windows vista 32 bit desktop computer even after reading and keeping an eye on this thread and the wikis.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthore View Post
    The Pre world is a much better place for freetether and there's no doubt about it. It would be good though to hear from the developers about the usb problems I've posted on before. Wifi is a decent fallback, but you will not get anywhere near the speed of a usb connection to the phone on 3g or to an N type router (if you're in one's vicinity and can log on).
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny6man View Post
    I also would like the usb problems to be fixed. I can't get it to connect via usb with my windows 7 64 bit laptop or my windows vista 32 bit desktop computer even after reading and keeping an eye on this thread and the wikis.
    For what it is worth, most of the USB problems that are being described in the threads have little to nothing to do with freeTether and more to do with the setup on the computer end.

Getting Windows (any flavor) to work with freeTether involves getting the drivers setup, making sure the Windows firewall and network security whatever is not interfering, etc... Not always an easy task.

If you've already attempted the setup on Windows in this case, your best options would be to try and remove any drivers related to the USB networking and start over. If that don't work, I've seen a couple of times where removing all network drivers (LAN, WLAN, WWAN, USB, etc...) restarting, then setting them back up resolved the issues.

As for the problem jthore and maybe some others were/are having, (if I remember correctly) has something do with the options, modes or whatever its called when plugging the device into the computer's USB ports. I believe that is something in webOS, freeTether or both that could be corrected.

Back in the testing version of fT, their were options present that could be set for USB. I believe the Devs removed them because the consensus was that the one particular mode (that covered mass storage, networking, novacom, etc...) covered it all, so it was set as the one option and the others removed.

When I first tried USB tethering I had a few problems with what seemed that the USB settings on the device were not setup for the networking (USBnet). I removed that version of fT, went back to an older version with the options, picked the all encompassing option, removed ft, went back to the latest version (at that time) and all was fine after I configured Windows correctly.

It seems that there are some people that still have the issue with the USB being stuck in some mode other than the one that includes USBNet support. I believe there were some steps posted that one could see what mode the USB was in to determine if this was the problem.

I may be wrong, but I also believe that when fT went to the public release there were fixes that should have made sure the USB mode was setup correctly unless the users had modified the USB settings manually outside of fT which would make it not work necessarily.

I guess what I am trying to say is that most of the USB problems that people have with fT are not with the app and more to do with the computer setup they are trying to tether with. Get those things fixed and you'll most likely be able to USB tether with fT.

There is a link on the wiki for bug/feature request support that a person could submit a bug report if they feel the problems are with fT.

The Devs have been most helpful and very generous in releasing such a product for free to the masses.

Good luck!

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
  5.    #205  
    freeTether 1.1.3 will be in the feeds in the next 15-30min. I've added back the advanced usb prefs option so that no more terminal or patching is needed. This really shouldn't be needed but since so many of you seem to be having issues....

Do note, that you will need to type in a secret passphrase to access the advanced prefs.

How does one get the secret password?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    How does one get the secret password?
    Very carefully.

Nice Puff. More apps should do stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    freeTether 1.1.3 will be in the feeds in the next 15-30min. I've added back the advanced usb prefs option so that no more terminal or patching is needed. This really shouldn't be needed but since so many of you seem to be having issues....

Do note, that you will need to type in a secret passphrase to access the advanced prefs.

just saw the update and downloaded - FWIW, i put the drivers for X64 and X32 (i run both on my laptop, quad-booting now or some such nonsense) in a /developer folder on my USB drived Pre. I can pull off both drivers for USB connection in a heartbeat and then launch freeTether. All has worked dandily since day 1. Thanks so much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny6man View Post
    USB tethering has been working perfectly via my original Sprint Pre and my Win 7 x64 laptop!
    Could the way AT&T detects tethering on the iPhone also be used to detect freeTether use on AT&T & other carriers?

How AT&T Recognizes Unauthorized Tethering from Jailbroken iPhones
    Freetether still works perfectly for me on my Pre2 Unlocked on AT&T

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    I know it works NOW, I'm wondering how freeTether works. Does it use a method similar to the iPhone jailbreaks that could eventually lead AT&T and others to crack down on us too?
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    I know it works NOW, I'm wondering how freeTether works. Does it use a method similar to the iPhone jailbreaks that could eventually lead AT&T and others to crack down on us too?
    I believe Puff or someone stated some posts ago that freeTether is using NAT/PAT. So the data would appear as if your device is sucking down all that data through it's 3G connection as if you were not tethering at all.

This is not to say that they (carriers) or others couldn't detect it at any given time some way some how.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by oakridge outdoors View Post
    I believe Puff or someone stated some posts ago that freeTether is using NAT/PAT. So the data would appear as if your device is sucking down all that data through it's 3G connection as if you were not tethering at all.

This is not to say that they (carriers) or others couldn't detect it at any given time some way some how.
    The carriers can watch and see how much data is being used during what amount of time. That way they might be able to see what you are doing. If you have Sprint, then you don't need to worry about how much data is being used. Sprint doesn't monitor PDA's and their data usage. It's unlimited. I still wouldn't recommend going crazy with the data usage. I have been using FreeTether for a little while now and connect my Pre to my iPod Touch and have not heard from Sprint about my data usage. I have heard stories about people downloading GB's of movies thought their Sprint Pre and also not hearing anything negative from Sprint. If you have a different carrier though, then I wouldn't recommend using FreeTether all that often.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 05/09/2011 at 05:31 PM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Lord, who would be nuts enough to try and download GIGAbytes over a 3G tether?
    Its not hard to do. One two hour episode of 24 on Hulu and I used 660MB already.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    I don't want to name-names,but if you do a Google search under FreeTether, you will find stories about how much data people have used while using FreeTether. I haven't yet used up a whole GB, because the service in my home isn't great. So the speeds are too slow to download 500MB iPod Touch games. But I have used up a bunch since being told about the app.

Was in a bind last week and installed this between flights so I could get some work done. Easiest thing in the world to set up, worked like a charm. I downloaded the documents I needed, worked on them aboard the plane, then e-mailed them from the next airport. The trip was a success due to Free Tether. I wanted to be sure to thank the folks at webOS Internals for all their great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Was in a bind last week and installed this between flights so I could get some work done. Easiest thing in the world to set up, worked like a charm. I downloaded the documents I needed, worked on them aboard the plane, then e-mailed them from the next airport. The trip was a success due to Free Tether. I wanted to be sure to thank the folks at webOS Internals for all their great work!
    You can make a Paypal donation on the Web Internals web site, or on the first page of this thread. Donations help keep apps like FreeTether updated. So if you really like the software, it would be cool for you to make a donation. I donate everytime I find a new useful patch or app.

Oh, I do donate, to be sure. I apologize for not mentioning it. This was more of a good job/ publicity effort. But I agree, the donations are important!
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast