Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
    usbnet is required for usb tethering...

please use novaterm and run the following command and paste there output here:

Code:
    cat /sys/class/usb_gadget/config_num
    ls /var/gadget
    novacom_enabled usbnet_enabled

Here you go - sorry it took me awhile. Thanks -
    Just wanted to say that you guys are freakin' awesome! One of the reasons I have stuck so diligently with my Pre instead of switching over to Android is because of the great work from the WebOS Internals crew. Thanks a million!

One small question... when tethering usb, should my pre 1 remain charging, or will the connection be dedicated solely to tethering? Thanks!
    Out of curiosity, is the free Tether solution something that carriers could block if they decided to? I know when I use Mobile Hotspot the traffic is metered seperately. I don't know if that's because the Mobile Hotspot app talks to the carrier & tells them you're tethering or if it's something in the packets that flag the traffic as tethered or not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Out of curiosity, is the free Tether solution something that carriers could block if they decided to? I know when I use Mobile Hotspot the traffic is metered seperately. I don't know if that's because the Mobile Hotspot app talks to the carrier & tells them you're tethering or if it's something in the packets that flag the traffic as tethered or not.

Thanks
    Nah, freetether makes all the traffic look as if it was generated by the phone itself, unlike MHS
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    How many simultaneous connections can freetether support?
    I've resorted to using freetether over wifi because of all the flaky behavior I've mentioned in previous posts trying to use it over usb. Another anomaly occurred today that adds to the weirdness. I have my 2.1 pre+ connected by usb to charge it but even though that connection is turned off in freetether, my laptop has identified it as an active network that I am connected to *that also claims to be giving me internet access*.
    Would love to hear from the apps developer again soon -
  7.    #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    How many simultaneous connections can freetether support?
    There is no hard coded limit.
    so, this seems like a really dumb issue, and I've been searching the forums for it. But I'm having trouble finding the freetether app in preware. Is it under the webos internals feed? I tried both the methods in the Wiki but still can't find it..

I have the palm catalog and theme feeds turned off. I'm using a sprint pre- with 2.0.1

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleymarin View Post
    so, this seems like a really dumb issue, and I've been searching the forums for it. But I'm having trouble finding the freetether app in preware. Is it under the webos internals feed? I tried both the methods in the Wiki but still can't find it..

I have the palm catalog and theme feeds turned off. I'm using a sprint pre- with 2.0.1

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Now that freeTether is out of the testing feeds, it resides in the standard webos-internals feed.

Make sure you have that feed enabled and also be sure to update your feeds by manually kicking off an update via the app menu.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    I have Index of /feeds/webos-internals/armv7/ enabled. This should be where its at right? Still isn't showing up.. I don't get what the issue could be.
    alright, figured it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    I think it was a problem with Android 2.2 (Froyo)

I now have a 3.0 device (Honeycomb), it it works beautifully!
    Sorry, maybe a bit late, but I just recently discovered your posting. My Folio with FolioMod 1.4 running Android 2.2 needed to reboot after configuration of freetether WiFi connection. Before rebooting it refused to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleymarin View Post
    alright, figured it out.
    What did you figure out?

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Cool app, thanks PTM, downloaded and donated few weeks back but did not get a chance to use it until last week while on the road, the hotel wanted to charge me 14 dollars a day to use their internet. One difference I noticed from MHS is while My Pre is on my TS sending a wifi signal to my laptop it actually gains not loses charge while in use.
    Hi,

Thank you guys for this marvelous tool.

I'm using it to download periodicals created & sent to my kindle 3 (fw 3.1) by my linux pc using Calibre.

However most of the times it doesn't work; for instance, I've tryed to connect to freeTether about 15 times right now with no luck; I've then turned wireless off on the Kindle, then on again, and it has connected at the first attempt... but most of the times it isn't able to connect even restarting wifi (also tryed restarting freetether & wifi/data on the Pre) 8-(

Please make me know if you'd like me to debug it.

TIA

Note: Pre-, 2.1.0, UK's ST 500-1Ghz; security: Open; default ESSID
    Great app!! MHS no more. Where I work I get free wifi from the hotel next door but sometimes it just goes out for couple days to couple weeks and this app lets me keep on surfing!! I have read that some people are getting big download speeds and what not but I'm deff not one of thoes people lol I always get around 0.25 down and 0.12 up. It's not a big deal I still get to go online and thats all that matters. I'm using win xp pro sp3 with the sprint pixi with wifi hack. Thank you so much for keeping the palm users alive!! Will drop some loot your way when I get paid.
    Here is some info from (closed) the 0.99x FT thread re: Kindle:
    (begin quote)
    @egaudet
    I updated to 0.99.11, then tried my Kindle again (with and without WPA on) and it did NOT work as before. I then connected my laptop, got a connection going fine, then tried again to connect my Kindle (with WPA on) and it worked. It seems like the "need a connection from something else first" applies like you thought it might.

As an additional test, I disconnected my laptop and the Kindle still held the connection fine. So once it connects, the "need another connection" requirement no longer applied.

To test whether or not you only had to do this once, I disconnect the Kindle by shutting down FT. The Kindle then connected to another wireless connection in my house. I loaded up FT again and turned on WiFi, the Kindle saw the connection and I tried to switch over to it. However, I was not able to connect. I still had to connect something else first.

I then tried to connect my Kindle without another connection by using static settings. With WPA ON this did NOT work. However, with WPA OFF, I was able to connect this way without any trouble.

Here are my static settings I put into the Kindle:
    IP: 10.1.1.51
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 10.1.1.11 (Kindle calls this "Router" but I'm assuming they mean "Default Gateway")
    DNS: 10.1.1.11

My setup:
    Sprint Pre Minus
    FT 0.99.11
    UberKernel
    HP 2530p (my "first connection" device)

Conclusions
    IF YOU WANT TO USE WPA
    -If you want to use WPA, you need to connect another device via WiFi first (laptop or whatever) before connecting your Kindle
    -Once you have the connection to the Kindle going, you can drop the other connection and the Kindle will stay connected
    -If you close FT or disconnect from WiFi on the Kindle, you'll have to repeat the process of connecting something else to get the Kindle connected to WiFi again
    -Unfortunately, the Kindle doesn't let me see the WiFi settings when I'm connected to a good signal, so once I'm connected to FT, I can't see any IP, DNS, etc. information. So I'm not sure if there is something "special" in there that would help eliminate the "first connection" requirement.

IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE WPA
    -If you do not need to use WPA, you can connect to FT by using the static settings shown above. I got those settings by first connecting my laptop to FT and doing an "ipconfig /all" to see the settings. I copied everything from there exactly, except for incrementing the IP address by 1 (it was .50, I went to .51). My initial test showed that staying at .50 did NOT work. FT must have assigned my laptop that IP and even though the laptop was no longer connected, it would not take .50 for the Kindle.

NOTE: I used a Kindle for my tests, but any other device that is having trouble connecting might connect using these methods.

I have an old Nintendo DS that I can try, but the battery is dead. I have to charge it before I can try. I'll post again when I try that.

Thanks to a bunch of previous posters (sorry, I didn't catch the usernames) for giving me some of the ideas to get to this point.

Kevin
    DDT1345
    (end quote)
    ===================

I did not have success with either of these methods, but combining them worked for me. I am using FT v1.1.2.

First, with security set to WPA2, I tried connecting my netbook and then the Kindle 3. This did not work, the netbook connected, but not the Kindle.

Second, I set security to Open, and tried to use the static IP settings above on my Kindle 3. This did not work either.

I then reconnected my netbook to FT via WiFi and retried the Kindle with Open security and the static IP settings. I got a connection with the Kindle and was able to test it with the web browser on the Kindle.

I have tested this 2x now. With Open security and a static IP for the Kindle, and connecting my netbook first, I am able to make an FT connection to my Kindle.
    I think I may have found a bug in whatever the latest release is in preware.

When I close out the program, it does shut off my wifi tether (which is what I want it to do) but it doesn't stop the IP forwarding. For some reason, this creates a massive battery drain (several hundred milliamps difference between shutting FT down this way and shutting it down by turning off wifi tethering and then closing the card).

Anyone else mentioned this? I haven't read the whole thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by djrms357 View Post
    Great app!! MHS no more. Where I work I get free wifi from the hotel next door but sometimes it just goes out for couple days to couple weeks and this app lets me keep on surfing!! I have read that some people are getting big download speeds and what not but I'm deff not one of thoes people lol I always get around 0.25 down and 0.12 up. It's not a big deal I still get to go online and thats all that matters. I'm using win xp pro sp3 with the sprint pixi with wifi hack. Thank you so much for keeping the palm users alive!! Will drop some loot your way when I get paid.
    You might want to try what I did. Remove freeTether & reinstall it. That forced it to use the 192.168.xxx.xxx address setup instead of the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx. Using the class c instead of class a network settings, I've been able to connect all the devices I wasn't able to before without jumping through any hoops.

You need to uninstall/reinstall because it won't change the default setting on an upgrade if you've made any changes under a previous version.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Outstanding App! This is why I got the Verizon Pre2, so that I could have internet access while camping in my RV. Freedom to roam! I am headed over to the donations page now.
    (Kind of disappointed that Verizon quietly killed the free Mobile Hot Spot, even though it is mentioned in their guide!)
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast