webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > New Novacom Driver Installer!!!
New Novacom Driver Installer!!!
Like Tree8Likes

Old 03/12/2011, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've created a new, simple novacom driver installer for Windows and Mac users. It works by downloading the novacom driver out of the latest world ready webos doctor (with out downloading the whole jar) to a temp dir. Once downloaded, the real installer is launched automatically. For Windows users, the installer will automatically detect if you need the 32bit or 64bit novacom. I have built an exe for Windows users. I am having a problem with py2app so the Mac app bundle will come soon.

Do note that unlike Jason's 'Universal Novacom Installer', this does not require you to download massive jars.

Here is the download link:
novacomInstaller (32bit/64bit)

The source is available here:
git.webos-internals.org Git - python/pydoctor.git/summary

Please give this a test and let me know how it works.

Last edited by PuffTheMagic; 03/12/2011 at 04:08 PM.
PuffTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll check this out as soon as I get to my computer and will let you know how it works for me. Been having a problem with Novacom drivers, so this should make things go faster for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Tim Stiffler-Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

big ups for doing this.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do note that unlike Jason's 'Universal Novacom Installer', this does not require you to download massive jars.
Old 03/12/2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffTheMagic View Post
how does it extract the novacom installs without downloading the complete jar?

EDIT: Oh, I see, it uses httpunzip. Can ya point me to httpunzip's source so i can see how it works?

EDIT2: I've updated my Universal Novacom Installer with some of my own magic code, so it now too downloads only part of webOSDoctor.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/12/2011 at 06:19 PM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gsparks2
Old 03/12/2011, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
how does it extract the novacom installs without downloading the complete jar?
I wrote some magic code that extracts files out of remote jars with out needing to download the whole file.
Old 03/12/2011, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

which one is better, I'm guessing JRs is still superior?
tp
thePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
tp
Well we will continue to innovate at Webos-Internals, the rest just imitate...
Old 03/12/2011, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Well we will continue to innovate at Webos-Internals, the rest just imitate...
Careful with your words. WOSQI had a built-in novacom driver installer long before you released yours. And I think my history, and the history of the homebrew community as a whole, shows WebOS-Internals doesn't own the rights to innovate. To say otherwise is a disservice to all homebrew devs committed to the platform

As I stated in my release thread, I was inspired by your release to create my own standlone installer app. As in, inspired in a positive sense. In no way was I trying to slam your work, though you seem to have taken to it as such.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 03/12/2011 at 07:09 PM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Balooz and somagarn like this.
Thanked by Arthur Thornton, pcworld
Old 03/12/2011, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
Careful with your words. WOSQI had a built-in novacom driver installer long before you released yours. And I think my history, and the history of the homebrew community as a whole, shows WebOS-Internals doesn't own the rights to innovate. To say otherwise is a disservice to all homebrew devs committed to the platform

As I stated in my release thread, I was inspired by your release to create my own standlone installer app. As in, inspired in a positive sense. In no way was I trying to slam your work, though you seem to have taken to it as such.
Yeah, that's what we do here in homebrew, we imitate everything they do at webOS Internals

If anything, you innovated over their "innovation" because you wrote yours in Java. That's better for cross platform than a SINGLE Windows binary, or in my opinion, but that could stand for a bit of innovation I suppose.

webOS Application Engineer, Appstuh

sprw for Twitter
Voice Memos

Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 03/12/2011 at 07:46 PM.
arthurthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
oil

This is not the place for such a discussion.
oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2011, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

<<staff edit>>

I thought one of the advantages of being on an open (or semi open platform) is people could take existing things and improve upon them? Also different developers should play together nicely...

With that being said I think both Webos Internals and Jay are invaluable to the Webos community. Both had made significant contributions. And I would hate to see petty fighting between them...

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/04/2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: quoted text removed
wingsnut25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Redrum50
Old 03/12/2011, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Developer

There is plenty of room in the homebrew development community for multiple sources of innovation, refinement, packaging, and deployment.

No one group or individual holds any special place or position in that community.

The beauty of open source is that developers can build upon the work of others, and as long as proper credit is given (which has always happened as far as I can remember in the webOS homebrew community), then there is no issue for concern.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by somagarn, Mr._Happy and Redrum50 like this.
Old 03/12/2011, 08:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePretender View Post
tp
Noting in which forum it is posted, this post is not appropriate.

It is not good manners to walk into someone's house and talk in such a way.

-- Rod
Liked by somagarn likes this.
Old 03/12/2011, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsnut25 View Post
With that being said I think both Webos Internals and Jay are invaluable to the Webos community. Both had made significant contributions. And I would hate to see petty fighting between them...
Be aware that WebOS Internals is a loosely coupled group of 15+ developers, each of whom have their own personality, aspirations, and reactions.

-- Rod
Liked by somagarn likes this.
Old 03/12/2011, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

<<staff edit>>

The code is written in python, which is cross platform. I simply made a one click exe for ease of use for windows users... Anyone with python can use this, just like anyone with java can use Jasons..

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/04/2011 at 11:20 PM.
Thanked By: jhernandez8432
Old 06/04/2011, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am unable to download the file as it is downloading partially,.

Thanks for help.
sujeev.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2011, 11:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I've created a new, simple novacom driver installer for Windows and Mac users. It works by downloading the novacom driver out of the latest world ready webos doctor (with out downloading the whole jar) to a temp dir. Once downloaded, the real installer is launched automatically. For Windows users, the installer will automatically detect if you need the 32bit or 64bit novacom. I have built an exe for Windows users. I am having a problem with py2app so the Mac app bundle will come soon.

Here is the download link:
novacomInstaller (32bit/64bit)

The source is available here:
git.webos-internals.org Git - python/pydoctor.git/summary

Please give this a test and let me know how it works.
thank you, finally someone was able to help me installing webos doctor on my gf mac. THANK YOU

if I may comment, sometimes you ask a simple question and the responses are filled with verbage not relevant, or questions are answered in a very complicated for no reason. A link and simple words that anyone can understand are appreciated.

Last edited by zx600; 08/05/2011 at 12:05 AM.
zx600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by w0z likes this.
Old 09/14/2011, 07:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thank you for this Installer. I kept trying to use the WebOS Quick Installer v4.3.1 and it kept saying it could not find the device. This Installer worked for me. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2011, 10:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
Thank you for this Installer. I kept trying to use the WebOS Quick Installer v4.3.1 and it kept saying it could not find the device. This Installer worked for me. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.
Hi

Would you mind listing a step-by-step? I have WOSQI 4.31.
I have downloaded & run the Vovacomd driver.

Still getting the login error/issue (on TP running 3.02)

Thanks

russ
russraff32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0