Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that Meta-Doctor compiles Verizon's 2.1 with pieces of Sprint's 1.4.5 ....into a .jar file....why is it not possible to simply post that .jar file online to have people upgrade? Would it not work?
    It's possible but highly illegal and immoral. That doctor contains property which belongs to hp/palm, and they are the sole legal distributors.
  3.    #3  
    so it's just a legality issue? kinda ironic considering Adobe and HP said flash would be on the Pre-
  4.    #4  
    ty for answering my question though! i appreciate it....i have other family members trying to upgrade to 2.1 so this will def save a lot of time/scripts
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showmrock View Post
    ty for answering my question though! i appreciate it....i have other family members trying to upgrade to 2.1 so this will def save a lot of time/scripts
    Once you compile the doctor, you can use it multiple times. I have two friends with VZW Pres, I made one doctor and flashed all 3 of our phones.
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  6.    #6  
    got a question though....i noticed under scripts there is a sprint 2.1 and then there's a NEW sprint 2.1 .......is there a difference? and should I use the assumed newer one?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    IIRC, the new script installs Sprint apps. All except Sprint Nav
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  8.    #8  
    does Sprint Nav not work? .....also....is there a google navigation now? or is it still the same old Google Maps crap
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    From what I've read, the Sprint Nav doesn't work on 2.x, the app from the 1.4.5 doctor

There is this way though: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...g-2-1-0-a.html

Looks like it uses the app from the 2.0.1 doctor
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's possible but highly illegal and immoral. That doctor contains property which belongs to hp/palm, and they are the sole legal distributors.
    Really, it would be highly immoral? Please describe your rationale.
    does Sprint Nav not work? .....also....is there a google navigation now? or is it still the same old Google Maps crap
    Spend some time in the official thread. All these questions have been answered, some of them multiple times.

Well, no one has asked about Goog-a-Nav, to my knowledge. To answer your question, it doesn't exist.
    Curious about upgrading your Legacy Pre to webOS 2.1? READ THE WIKI
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I think an important to note that one on the MAIN reasons why hp / palm is so supportive to the homebrew / dev community is because we have agreed to play by the rules.

Yeah, it may sounds like an stupid rule that is annoying BUT if thats what it takes to keep everything legal and keep hp / palm being partners with the homebrewer's its TOTALLY worth it.

The other option is of course the apple / sony route where the main company is activly fighting against the homebrewers!
    has amazon mp3 been added to the sprint new script?
    so it's just a legality issue? kinda ironic considering Adobe and HP said flash would be on the Pre-
    I'm not seeing any irony there.

same slow google maps crap where it sometimes takes over a minute to load.

Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    The other option is of course the apple / sony route where the main company is activly fighting against the homebrewers!
    Yeah the last thing any of us wants is police knocking down our doors to take away all our computers because we wanted to run Linux on a consumer electronics device we purchased (re: Sony). Playing by the rules is very nice when HP/Palm are so nice to us.

Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    has amazon mp3 been added to the sprint new script?
    no (I ran the "new" script late last night). I just did a git pull and there hasn't been an update to the new-meta-sprint-pre script. Looks like there's a new script for those who have "2'd" their Sprint Pre though.

SPRINT_IPKS is set in the script to include Sprint TV and the Sprint Portal, that's it.
    I understand that Meta-Doctor compiles Verizon's 2.1 with pieces of Sprint's 1.4.5 ....into a .jar file....why is it not possible to simply post that .jar file online to have people upgrade? Would it not work?
    Everyone quit being such a baby about the meta-doctor process. Building the dr. is BY FAR the easiest part of the upgrade. Being able to download a pre-made dr. might be very comforting, but would save you very few steps.

Plus, maybe while learning the little bit you need to know to make the dr, you might understand the rest of the process a little better too and then in turn might not ask so many stupid questions.
    no need for any name calling, sheesh. If it bugs you so much that people ask "so many stupid questions", maybe this forum isn't the right place to hang out?
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    no need for any name calling, sheesh. If it bugs you so much that people ask "so many stupid questions", maybe this forum isn't the right place to hang out?
    ah, right you are, was in a bit of a mood. sorry all.

just trying to impress upon people 2 things:

1) building the dr. really is very easy. having someone do it for you would gain you very little

2) by following the process you will learn a few things, some of which will be helpful in having a successful upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    ah, right you are, was in a bit of a mood. sorry all.

just trying to impress upon people 2 things:

1) building the dr. really is very easy. having someone do it for you would gain you very little

2) by following the process you will learn a few things, some of which will be helpful in having a successful upgrade
    Agreed on both counts! Exercise the grey matter, peeps, it's good for you. Sometimes it's even fun. Whining doesn't get you anywhere, people may even start to ignore you. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by KAM313 View Post
    we should not have to build ****..... P.C is so funny with this go by the rules B.S.. (haha) the sprint pre is dead... All ppl need is 1 sprint 2.0-2.1 rom that works... Post it an done... WAREZ...... LMAO..

Nah, you shouldn't, so go complain to Palm about their decision not to release a 2.1 doctor for all carriers and devices. The people bringing you this solution are not the ones to complain to.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM313 View Post
    we should not have to build ****..... P.C is so funny with this go by the rules B.S.. (haha) the sprint pre is dead... All ppl need is 1 sprint 2.0-2.1 rom that works... Post it an done...
    Wow, so ignorant. Apparently no ethics nor any awareness that there are consequences to breaking rules. Once Palm and/or Sprint decided to not provide an upgrade for the Sprint Pre, it became a fact that we DO have to build it ourselves, and there are good reasons for this. If it is too much work for you, then find a friend who can help you.
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I'd be a bit hesitant to load a doctor to my phone that was randomly floating around the internet. Who knows what some talented programmer included in there? Keystroke logging, perhaps?

Better to follow the (simple) instructions from trusted friends at webOS Internals and create a doctor I know is legit. If you can't follow the steps in the wiki, perhaps you shouldn't be messing with anything but official software, anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast