Page 97 of 217 FirstFirst ... 47879293949596979899100101102107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by onmymarc View Post
    Getting transfer failed error response when trying to send unmasqued file to /etc/palm-build-info.
    Anyone else having this problem? And how did you resolve it? The copy file to USB Partition solution makes me nervous to use... out of my pay grade
    i am having the same problem.I will try later but since the wiki page ha changed to mention that novacomd must be running i am assuming that we have to install the palm SDK.i didnt bother to install it because i thought i could avoid this using the cygwin method.My profile signed in good and my phone is running the 2.1 webos but device info still shows 1.4.5 on both the phone and in the palm profile sign in web page.i tried even with WebOS Quick inStall even after reinstalling the Novacom drivers
  2.    #1922  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    i am having the same problem.I will try later but since the wiki page ha changed to mention that novacomd must be running i am assuming that we have to install the palm SDK.i didnt bother to install it because i thought i could avoid this using the cygwin method.
    The wiki page clearly states the SDK is a prerequisite.

Folks, please don't skip steps.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenjo2009 View Post
    i am having the same problem.I will try later but since the wiki page ha changed to mention that novacomd must be running i am assuming that we have to install the palm SDK.i didnt bother to install it because i thought i could avoid this using the cygwin method.My profile signed in good and my phone is running the 2.1 webos but device info still shows 1.4.5 on both the phone and in the palm profile sign in web page.i tried even with WebOS Quick inStall even after reinstalling the Novacom drivers
    I'm in same exact boat... Using 2.1 but showing 1.4.5. But I did install SDK.

Any ideas anyone?
    I'm in same exact boat... Using 2.1 but showing 1.4.5. But I did install SDK.

Any ideas anyone?
    Did you do the after-doctoring step to undo the masquerading? {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Did you do the after-doctoring step to undo the masquerading? {Jonathan}
    This is the part that I'm having the problem with. Getting error messages when i open cygwin. I change back to the meta doctor and then type the novacom commands as per the wiki.
    "Bash: novacom: command not found does this mean novacom is not running?? It says so in the services

I tried the webosqi method as well but its telling me the transfer failed
    This is the part that I'm having the problem with. Getting error messages when i open cygwin. I change back to the meta doctor and then type the novacom commands as per the wiki.
    "Bash: novacom: command not found does this mean novacom is not running?? It says so in the services

I tried the webosqi method as well but its telling me the transfer failed
    The novacom _client_ is what is run during the "novacom put files://..." command. It uses the novacom _service_ to talk to your phone.

If you ran the meta-script through Cygwin, you should run the novacom from Windows. You can do it right from the CMD.EXE window. You still need to make sure "novacom" is in your %PATH%, or you know where it is on your hard drive.
    I'm all upgraded now and running fine, but I ran into some issues doing so.

I am running OSX 10.6 and was able to download everything and build the metadoctor just fine, however, when I ran the metadoctor, it would say checking system, then start the WeboOS Driver Installation and fail. At that point it would sit and wait and never detect my phone. It didn't matter if it was in the recover mode with the USB image on the screen or not.

What I had to do was let the driver installation fail from the meta doctor, then completely delete the \opt\nova and opt\palm directories, reinstall the SDK, and THEN it would recognize my phone. If I did it beforehand, it wouldnt detect my phone, I had to do it in the middle of running the doctor, after the WebOS driver install.

I wasn't able to find anyone else that had this problem, and I was never able to figure out why it failed, or why I had to take these extra steps, but this worked for me. I thought I would post in case it helped someone else, or if a brighter person than I could figure out why the the novacom driver was trying to reinstall and why it was failing.

That being said, I now have a Sprint Pre (w/ sprint service) running 2.1 and am willing to be a guinea pig for any tests.

Thanks WebOS Internals! will be donating gladly within the next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There is a full low level filesystem 'backup' target in the meta-doctor, but no corresponding automatic restore (although it would be possible to do so).

-- Rod
    Thanks for the reply. I'm getting OT with that question but it would be an awesome meta-doctor feature and an obvious "next step" to this process.
    @EdCates

ok, muchos sorry...

after checking my Verizon account again, my MHS usage has been updated; the data blocks originally allocated to the phone's data plan have been moved to the MHS side of the ledger.

everything looks A-OK.

it did occur to me that the usage might get billed to the phone side initially, like at the moment it's used, but I figured if it was going to get sorted out it would happen within 24 hours; my initial check of the verizon data usage was well over 36 hours after I used MHS.

I updated my original post here: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2893302

Please remove the warning from the wiki.

Thanks, and sorry for the false alarm.

p.s. actually, it's all Verizon's fault. I hold myself blameless!!!
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 03/02/2011 at 06:01 PM.
    Im sure if this has been answered but im just double checking
    a pre plus that is meta-doctored to run 2.1 can be succesfully doctored back to 1.4.5, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ja******* View Post
    Im sure if this has been answered but im just double checking
    a pre plus that is meta-doctored to run 2.1 can be succesfully doctored back to 1.4.5, right?
    Yup. Note: Most likely this will wipe your USB drive.

Max
    Meta-wr- works perfect with Movistar Pre-
    Just wanted to check in and say it works perfectly. I have had 2.1 on my Sprint Pre- since Mon. I had some bumps in the road, but nothing the wiki and some searching on the forums didn't help. Hats off to Webos interals and all the great people helping each other in the forums.
    I updated my verizon pre plus and everything is fine but for some reason I dont have 3g anymore and now have ev. Did I do something wrong?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The wiki page clearly states the SDK is a prerequisite.

Folks, please don't skip steps.

-- Rod
    What actually gets used from the SDK? I only ask because I did this whole thing on Mac OS 10.5 (I assume 10.6 would work too) without installing the SDK at all, all I had to do was install wget, git and create a symlink from /sbin/md5 to md5sum then install the XCode developer tools (to get make etc).

After that I used the meta-wr script and it all went off without a hitch, including using novacom to do the unmasquing (which I guess the doctor installed for me? I have /usr/bin/novaterm and /usr/bin/novacom anyway...)

Happily using 2.1 on my Moviestar Pre- Donation on it's way!

On another note, I'm quite keen to try the meta-o2 script to see if I can get away without masquerading and so have access to the 2.1 catalogue. Could the same thing be achieved by simply leaving the 2.1 build-info file in place and reseting the device so I have to log in again etc? Or is there another difference between the o2 and wr scripts?

Cheers,
    Andrew

P.S. Also just realised I've probably used webosQI from this host before so maybe it installed something? Either way I've never installed the SDK and it all ran sweet!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    I updated my verizon pre plus and everything is fine but for some reason I dont have 3g anymore and now have ev. Did I do something wrong?
    Thanks
    No, that happened to me too. There's a patch to remedy that.

But since I used the Verizon doctor before scripts contained the Verizon apps, would I have to reinstall meta-doctor and run the script again to get Mobile Hotspot/Skype/etc.?
    Thanks, I got the patch and now it says 3g. So did I have 3g the whole time but it was just showing EV or did updating to 2.1.0 make me get worse data service?
    Just a bit of a heads up, to watch out for...

I have a Verizon Pre Plus that I doctored to 2.1 on Feb 23rd (followed all of the directions). Everything was working fine. Every now and then I would receive a warning that the Mojo Database was almost full (I discovered that this appeared to be where the file/media indexer stores its indexed information). Other than that, things were running smoothly. Up until this morning.

It all hit the fan when I received an Application Database was full error. I was told that I would need to restart my device to resolve this, and that I would log back into my Palm Profile and that my data and apps would be restored. I was presented with the options of doing this now or later. I choose later. I was then presented with a similar error and forced to perform an App & Data erase and restore. So, I went with it. It proceeded. After the restore was complete my device came back and the apps refused to download...

No amount of doctoring to 1.4.5 or 2.1 has brought my paid apps back. The only thing that I can possibly think of is that after the forced restore I thought the device had frozen on the "Done, now your device will reset" screen, so I pulled the battery. But I cannot think of any case that would cause this process to force the Palm Profile servers to stop allowing my device to pull down its applications, or delete the list of apps that I have purchased. All my other data, including text messages, appeared to be fine. I only had a dozen or two apps installed.

In the mean time I am going to go back to playing with 2.1 and seeing what happens.

UPDATE: So, "the cloud" has apparently not forgotten what I have purchased before. I am given the option to "Download for free" the apps that I had previously purchased in the app catalog. So, this is nice.
    Last edited by dkirker; 03/03/2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    Thanks, I got the patch and now it says 3g. So did I have 3g the whole time but it was just showing EV or did updating to 2.1.0 make me get worse data service?
    EV (short for EVDO) is Verizon Wireless's 3G data service. I believe that Verizon Wireless had customized the Pre Plus install to display the 3G icon instead of the Ev icon.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    EV (short for EVDO) is Verizon Wireless's 3G data service. I believe that Verizon Wireless had customized the Pre Plus install to display the 3G icon instead of the Ev icon.
    Oh okay I get it.
    Thanks a lot!!!