Page 91 of 217 FirstFirst ... 41818687888990919293949596101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb View Post
    Back in town after months away. Pleased to see the new action and buzz, thought I’d give the updater(s) a shot on my VZW Pre+.

I wiped my Pre+ with the stock 1.4.5 Doctor, and booted into a completely new profile. I had success and no issues with the first/original(?) meta-verizon script. I’m running an iMac with SL, and am generally a nub at this. But, I follow instructions to the letter. I had no issues with the MacPorts/MetaDoctor installs and the Pre+ was generally working well. I missed Mobile Hotspot and was tempted by the newer scripts…

I have had no success with the “new-” scripts, and the latest, “promoted” VZW script was a non-finisher for me too. The first “new” script was a non-starter, and the second “new-” script wouldn’t finish and just hung. The latest script just stops at 82%. Each time I had to pull the plug and reinstall the original version of the MetaDoctor directory (I saved a copy of it once I achieved success, just in case - a good thing for me).

Is there any feedback I can offer - with the latest VZW script hanging maybe there’s some Terminal code I can offer? The Terminal session indicates it’s waiting for the device, and nothing happens for 15 minutes - and then I give up and pull the plug and battery. I’m a bit hesitant now to try out a newer version since I’ve found one update that works. Thanks.
    That has come up repeatedly here (anyone want to compile a FAQ for the Wiki?). It's due to an md5sum mismatch on some of the files, and can be safely ignored. Your phone should reboot after that with ALT+SYM+R, and start up normally.

Also, I believe Rod has fixed that with the newest iteration. You might try doing a fresh "git clone . . . " and see if it fares better.
    Curious about upgrading your Legacy Pre to webOS 2.1? READ THE WIKI
    Environment: Win Vista, Cygwin, Fresh HP/Palm SDK, Virtual Box 3.2.12
    Device: Sprint Pre-

Followed directions for setup/config of MetaDoctor, HP Palm SDK.
    Followed directions for Cygwin/Linux MetaDoctor script execution.
    (Meta)WebOS Doctor launched from cygwin shell.
    Put device in Dev Mode.
    Novacmd installed.
    Screen on Pre showed large USB icon, when connected via USB.
    Cygwin shell showed:
    Mar 1, 2011 10:23:16 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscov
    eryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Mar 1, 2011 10:23:16 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runn
    erFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Mar 1, 2011 10:23:22 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger star
    tJob
    INFO: Started:Battery Charger Stage
    Getting Into Update Mode: Rebooting into update mode
    Getting Into Update Mode: Waiting for device to come back

(Meta) WebOS Doctor showed 0% and didn't proceed.
    Pre rebooted itself.
    Eventually, Doctor must have hit time out and showed Error: Could not update your device.
    Clicked Done button and cygwin showed Doctor wrap up execution.

Help appreciated.

Thanks.
  3.    #1803  
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesb View Post
    Back in town after months away. Pleased to see the new action and buzz, thought I’d give the updater(s) a shot on my VZW Pre+.

I wiped my Pre+ with the stock 1.4.5 Doctor, and booted into a completely new profile. I had success and no issues with the first/original(?) meta-verizon script. I’m running an iMac with SL, and am generally a nub at this. But, I follow instructions to the letter. I had no issues with the MacPorts/MetaDoctor installs and the Pre+ was generally working well. I missed Mobile Hotspot and was tempted by the newer scripts…

I have had no success with the “new-” scripts, and the latest, “promoted” VZW script was a non-finisher for me too. The first “new” script was a non-starter, and the second “new-” script wouldn’t finish and just hung. The latest script just stops at 82%. Each time I had to pull the plug and reinstall the original version of the MetaDoctor directory (I saved a copy of it once I achieved success, just in case - a good thing for me).

Is there any feedback I can offer - with the latest VZW script hanging maybe there’s some Terminal code I can offer? The Terminal session indicates it’s waiting for the device, and nothing happens for 15 minutes - and then I give up and pull the plug and battery. I’m a bit hesitant now to try out a newer version since I’ve found one update that works. Thanks.
    The scripts have nothing to do with your computer and novacom drivers not being able to detect a device that has rebooted.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Okay, so. I'm on a Sprint Pre-, using a 2.1.0 doctor made with the default Meta-Doctor script for it under Ubuntu. I'm running the doctor under Windows 7 (x64). The battery was at about 98% when I started the process, and the phone is in Recovery Mode (holding up on the volume rocker while putting in the battery). The doctor has been stuck on "Charging Battery" for over an hour, and the percent gauge has been at 0% the whole time. Any advice?
  5.    #1805  
    I'm starting to think we should make every doctor their Pre- or Pre+ with the official webOS 1.4.5 doctor first, so they can see that the problems they are having running the doctor on their particular machine have nothing to do with the meta-doctor.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I just installed the newest Sprint Pre- meta-doctor and I'm having problems with 2 things. 1. the data connection will randomly drop and won't come back until I've restarted the device. 2. I have tried every method of unmasqing that's in the wiki and none of them seem to work... Debating whether I should go back to an earlier version of the doctor that I saved.

Edit: I just figured out that going into usb mode and coming back restores the data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaftdad View Post
    Screen on Pre showed large USB icon, when connected via USB.
    Remove it from usb mode and put it in Charge only and run webOS Doctor.
  8.    #1808  
    Quote Originally Posted by swtoombs View Post
    I have tried every method of unmasqing that's in the wiki and none of them seem to work...
    Actually, all of them work. Perhaps not on the specific configuration of computer and operating system and installed software that you have, but definitely every single one of those alternatives works.

So your path forward is to work out how your setup diverges from the setups that are created by following the wiki page and other linked documentation pages precisely.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'm starting to think we should make every doctor their Pre- or Pre+ with the official webOS 1.4.5 doctor first, so they can see that the problems they are having running the doctor on their particular machine have nothing to do with the meta-doctor.

-- Rod
    If this was addressed at me, I'd really appreciate an understanding of what my problem is, so I can fix it. I already guessed it wasn't the Meta-Doctor at fault, but that doesn't help me much.
    The scripts have nothing to do with your computer and novacom drivers not being able to detect a device that has rebooted.

-- Rod
    Agreed. I was offering PC config only for general reference.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Actually, all of them work. Perhaps not on the specific configuration of computer and operating system and installed software that you have, but definitely every single one of those alternatives works.

So your path forward is to work out how your setup diverges from the setups that are created by following the wiki page and other linked documentation pages precisely.

-- Rod
    The novacom from terminal method worked fine with the original version of the meta-doctor but when I tried out any of the "new-meta" builds it wouldn't work either. I'll try working with Windows instead of OSX and see if I can get it to work.
  12.    #1812  
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    If this was addressed at me, I'd really appreciate an understanding of what my problem is, so I can fix it. I already guessed it wasn't the Meta-Doctor at fault, but that doesn't help me much.
    Have you ever been able to successfully run the official webOS Doctor on your phone? If so, how did you do it differently from this time? If not, you should use means other than this thread to get to that basic level of functionality with your computer setup before attempting to meta-doctor.

-- Rod

-- Rod

Kinda like last year when almost all 800.sh "removals" happened almost overnight...

M.

-- Rod
    I agree. People that have never run webOS Doctor before are now trying to install it and running into issues that are not related to webOS 2.1.0 upgrade.

In the past, you had about 10% of users that ever doctored their phone. Now you have about 60% of users who have never doctored before trying to doctor their phone in order to upgrade to webOS 2.1.0.
    Have you ever been able to successfully run the official webOS Doctor on your phone? If so, how did you do it differently from this time? If not, you should use means other than this thread to get to that basic level of functionality with your computer setup before attempting to meta-doctor.

-- Rod
    I have, and I did nothing different. Strangely, after several failed attempts, running the Doctor yet again finally got it to go past the Battery Charging stage and start flashing, after doing seemingly nothing different from previous attempts. Here's to hoping it works from here.

EDIT: My phone is now showing the depressing HP logo on bootup, so I think that means "success".
    Last edited by karmapolice; 03/01/2011 at 11:34 PM.
    hey there! went through all the steps on the wiki! unmasqed to show 2.1.0 in device menu but when i start up preware it shows everything for 1.4.5 any ideas?
    Is there a way to install Amazon MP3 to my Verizon Pre Plus without re-doctoring it. I have everything working perfectly and don't really want to redo it if I don't have to. I can get the app to install but I can't get the amazon services to install. It give me an error saying "Package dependancies not satisfied." I am able to open the app and browse the music but I can't sign in to download anything. I am assuming that that is where the services part comes into play. If I have to re-doctor to get it I will because I actually use it quite often but if I don't have to that would be fantastic. Thanks.
  18.    #1818  
    Quote Originally Posted by tool69 View Post
    hey there! went through all the steps on the wiki! unmasqed to show 2.1.0 in device menu but when i start up preware it shows everything for 1.4.5 any ideas?
    Reboot your phone, and if that doesn't work check the manage feeds page in Preware to remove the incorrect one.

-- Rod
    Seems like Novacom being flaky is one of the core problems when either attempting to run the doctor and the device not being recognized or doing the unmasq'ing steps... had to stop the service and restart a few different times when things weren't working..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    thanks rod! that did it!