Page 70 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by netzwurm View Post
    Just to post another success story, I also used the script for Sprint and the phone doctored fine. Like others I also had to do a clean 1.4.5 doctor for activation to work before.

My profile works although it does say Dr. Skipped First Use in some screens (Impostah says that's the only available profile). I wonder if this is going to lead to any problems down the road.

Everything else works fine. If I enable the palm-catalog feed in Preware, sometimes Preware fails to load (it says "Complete" but the waiting wheel keeps spinning infinitely). I wonder if that is the phone running out of memory.

All in all, on the Pre-, once you actually start using things (all of which have worked fine for me so far), it is pretty sluggish. I am curious if a new Ueberkernel is going to fix that or if the phone simply doesn't have enough memory to run 2.1 smoothly. I hope that also settles the nonsense about HP lying whether the OS should and can be released to Sprint Pres. Without overclocking, this is not production ready.

Of course, that is not to say that I am not going to keep using it, I love it. But this could not conceivably be released to customers. Many thanks to Webos Internals.
    2 things

First, I would build another meta-doctor without skipping First Use app. Your profile will have problems later on.
    Second, I would download Govnah and set the clock to 600mhz. You'll notice a pretty decent speed boost (20%)
    I'm aware of the fact that you probably had reports back from Italy, but here I am, your guinea pig from the boot state (a.k.a. of course Italy )
    I first tryed to meta doctor my pre minus unlocked, bought in germany and working on H3G network in Italy, with my ubuntu desktop 64bit...it failed reporting an USB error.
    I reflashed the 1.4.5 official.
    Completed the log back to profile.
    Deactivated the back up.
    I switched on my baby ibm x31 laptop (very old!) which is a ubuntu 32 bit machine, started over...and it was a success.
    After rebooting i logged in my old palm profile no problem.
    all the past appz have been downloaded again.
    Did also the unmasking. work like a charm.
    reporting this after unmasking and rebooting
    Version HP webOS 2.1.0
    MODEL P100UEU
    CARRIER ROW
    FIRMWARE CU0.5.72(5035)

I'll do some testing with all the new stuff putted on it.
    webOS Internals is whole lotta magic!
    donation did!
    I'll edit this post as soon as I'll find something to report!
    Thanks Rod and all the PreCentral Community.
    THIS ABSOLUTELY MADE MY DAY.
    and it's speedy!
    Quote Originally Posted by netzwurm View Post
    Just to post another success story, I also used the script for Sprint and the phone doctored fine. Like others I also had to do a clean 1.4.5 doctor for activation to work before.

My profile works although it does say Dr. Skipped First Use in some screens (Impostah says that's the only available profile). I wonder if this is going to lead to any problems down the road.

The first time I doctored using the script, my profile said Dr. Skipped First Use (and the name on my Pre said that, too). Not sure why, because I didn't skip first use. It went through the procedure like normal, I logged in and everything and my apps restored.

However, if your profile says that, delete your backup because if you doctor again like that after having backed up, when you log back in, your apps won't download (at least it didn't with me, when I ran the doctor again to fix the issue). After that happened to me, I deleted my backup, went to the Restart Options in the menu and picked the Erase Apps and Data (but not the full erase) option. When it went through again, my profile came back correctly and my apps downloaded like they were supposed to.
    Last edited by malpha; 02/27/2011 at 12:33 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    my apps returned right.
    I can't follow you. probably because screwdestiny wasn't speaking with me.
    I realized after she quoted...
    Last edited by mastahaze; 02/28/2011 at 02:51 AM.
    I just wanted to let you know that I have successfully loaded webOS 2.1.0 on my Verizon Pre Plus. Everything seems to be working perfectly except I system sounds don't work anymore which isn't a big deal cause I thought they were annoying anyway. I deleted my backups and ran the doctor and it booted right in. Version number says 1.4.5. Download the homebrew app just fine. I also downloaded Koto player which is 2.0 only and it works great also but is alittle sluggish but an overclock will fix this. The launcher runs very smooth, much smoother than 1.4.5 did overclocked to 800 mhz. Just wanted to say thanks for giving me a new phone again. When I get paid I will be donating more.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    "II.MethodII
    --doctored back to 1.45
    did not sign into any profile or enter dev mode
    but rather
    --went straight from 1.45 doctor to 2.1
    ##cdma#
    stuck at dev mode on
    turned dev mode off and restarted
    ##cdma# turned dev mode on and restarted
    entered password for wifi
    ran gesture tutorial
    gesture tutorial ran OK but did not have any option for profile, it just ran the video to teach the gestures"
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Method 1 is not expected to work.

Method 2 doesn't look anything like the wiki procedure.

Sorry, but you didn't test what I was looking for.

-- Rod
    I'm not sure what you are referring to because your comment is vague. Taking a guess, are you saying the 2.1 doctor is not constructed correctly from wiki instructions?

If so, followed these steps from wiki:
    step 1: metadoctor was installed
    step2" prepare palm profile--I did not have a palm profile
    step 3: Ran the script for meta-verizon-preplus2.1.0
    step 4- plugged in palm phone and ran
    the modified webos doctor in the Build directory which I called 2.1 doctor above

Which step is unlike the wiki?
    Guys I'm having a real weird issue: I've doctored my Pre- sucessfully to 2.1 and everything seemed to work just fine when suddenly a notification popped up saying that there's an update to 1.4.5(!) available and it will install automatically in 10min . I'm not sure what'll happen when I apply the update (downgrade?) but I think I don't wanna know.
    So this is my configuration and what I did:
    Pre- P100EU wr Carrier Row
    I bought it on ebay, but the former owner probably first activated it in Germany with E-Plus (at least this is what my palm profile still says).

1.Downloaded Meta Doctor (around 4pm UTC+1 yesterday) and compiled with INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES
    2. Doctoring to 2.1 went fine but i couldn't log in my profile
    3. Doctored back to 1.4.5 and deleted Backup
    4.Doctored again to 2.1. This time I could log into my profile without any problems
    5. I saw paid apps in the app cat and started playing round. Out of curiosoty i pressed Systemupdates and suprisingly it wanted to update to 1.4.5. I delayed it and looked in my palm profile and in the device info where it said 1.4.5. I thought there wasn't a need to masquerade wr-devices but obviously the meta doctor script still did it.
    6. Transfered the palm-build-info-unmasqued on my pre, now the version in the device info is 2.1 but the update notification still appears

How is it possible that it wants to update to 1.4.5 when I'm actually running 2.1 and the masquerade was pretending 1.4.5? What should I do? How do I get rid of the notification and the annoying popups?

I'm sorry if this has already be disscussed in this thread but I can't remember the content of the thousand+ posts here.

Btw you're really doing a great job here. The webos community (especially webos internals) is the best!
    Chypsylon - You need to run the sprint script. This disables automatic updates. Compile a new doctor by running the script ./scripts/meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0 from the meta-doctor directory. Make sure your backups are deleted and doctor again, transfer the build-info file and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Chypsylon - You need to run the sprint script. This disables automatic updates. Compile a new doctor by running the script ./scripts/meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0 from the meta-doctor directory. Make sure your backups are deleted and doctor again, transfer the build-info file and you should be fine.
    But I have a GSM-model. Will the Sprint-doctor be compatible with it (I'm thinking of antenna firmwares etc.)?
    EDIT:Btw how is it even possible that it sees a need to update when I'm running a higher or eqal version?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Chypsylon; 02/27/2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Has anyone monitored the success of people who try logging in with a 1.4.5 profile, without deleting the backup? Early on, there were some people that seemed to be successful. I'm thinking that if something got screwed up, as long as you didn't do a backup with the 2.1 os, then your 1.4.5 backup should still be on the server. (I have been using a test Pre with a test profile.)

Also, has anyone been able to save the 600mhz profile in Govnah? It seems that when you restart, it defaults back to the 500mhz. I would guess that because you are using the default kernel, it probably won't save the 600mhz, but just wondered.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    for whatever reason i can not get ubuntu's doctor to recognize my pre-, i doctored my pre thru windows and it recognises...please help i want to have 2.1...pppppppllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by jurias View Post
    for whatever reason i can not get ubuntu's doctor to recognize my pre-, i doctored my pre thru windows and it recognises...please help i want to have 2.1...pppppppllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee
    If your OS won't recognize your device, double check to make sure novacomd is running.
    how exactly do you check if novacomd is running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chypsylon View Post
    But I have a GSM-model. Will the Sprint-doctor be compatible with it (I'm thinking of antenna firmwares etc.)?
    EDIT:Btw how is it even possible that it sees a need to update when I'm running a higher or eqal version?

Thanks for your help
    Yes, the sprint script downloads three different doctors including the original 1.4.5 doctor and gathers pieces from each, including the appropriate sprint gsm firmware, and puts them into a new doctor that's ready to install on your sprint pre. I'm not sure the technical explanation as to why it says that you need an update, but it is a known glitch / problem and this is why Rod created the confirmed working scripts for each specific device.
    I upgraded my O2.de Pre- to 2.1.0 using the WR-script in /scripts/ from metadoctor and it worked fine. I did create a new profile instead of using my primary one, though.

The speed is lacking imho, too many times it's still making pauses. free -m in novaterm says it has some 3 MiB of RAM available, so that might be the problem. Some things appear to be buggy, too. Sometimes parts of the UI freeze, the top bar (including the clock) and apps that have been running at that time. New apps, however, seem to work fine.

What I really liked, though, where "just type" and quickoffice's dropbox/google docs integration.

Now I'm back at 1.4.5 and with my original profile because I want to use uberkernel and quite a few patches that are not available yet. Also, it's way faster even without uberkernel
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Open Windows task manager, click services tab, sort by name and you can see if novacomd is 'started' or 'stopped'. If it's stopped, right click and select 'start service'. If you're ever having problems with your computer recognizing your device (i.e. phone doesn't give option to enter USB mode) you can restart this service and it should recognize it.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    One thing that I have noticed is that the phone does slow down when using the web browser alot. I find that the cache in the browser fills up quickly, after I clear it everything runs very smooth. I have run webOs so long with uber kernal I can't remember if that's normal. I still think the os is very usable for everyday use, over clocking will just be the icing on the cake!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    In Linux?
    Code:
    ps ax | grep novacomd
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Yes, the sprint script downloads three different doctors including the original 1.4.5 doctor and gathers pieces from each, including the appropriate sprint gsm firmware, and puts them into a new doctor that's ready to install on your sprint pre. I'm not sure the technical explanation as to why it says that you need an update, but it is a known glitch / problem and this is why Rod created the confirmed working scripts for each specific device.
    Nooooo! Sprint is CDMA, not GSM. It won't work. For a GSM device in the US I'd try the ATT script.

It sounds like "DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON" didn't get set when the Makefile was run (or invoked by a script).
    @fxspec06:

if you want to have a play with your VZW Pre+ and profile, I've been really curious to find out what would happen if you masq as a VZW Pre2 on 2.0.1. Yes, as Rod pointed out the DMMODEL is different, so it's an angle that hasn't been pursued yet. But since all we're really trying to do is fool the profile server once to get a valid 2.x profile it seems to me it should work (and a Pre2 is really very little different from a Pre+). The worry I'm sure is then what happens later after you unmasq back to a Pre+ running 2.1? Does something go insane then?

I have only my daily-use Pre+ so I'm not willing to try anything crazy yet, but you've clearly been around the block a few times with this so maybe you'd like to try one more.

You probably know plenty of ways to do this, but with the standard vzw meta-script I believe all that's necessary is to change this line:
    Code:
    cp build/${P101_BUILD}/rootfs/etc/${BLD_INFO} ./
    to:
    Code:
    cp build/${VZW_BUILD}/rootfs/etc/${BLD_INFO} ./
    which just uses the build info out of the Pre2/2.0.1 dr. instead of the Pre+/1.4.5 dr.