webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  WebOS Internals > How to install webOS 2.1.0 on Pre+ and Pre- using the Meta-Doctor
How to install webOS 2.1.0 on Pre+ and Pre- using the Meta-Doctor
Like Tree19Likes

Old 02/24/2011, 10:29 AM   #861 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
From the Meta Doctor Makefile:
Code:
# INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES imports a wifi preferences database file from
# the user's home directory to the device.  The device will then be
# set up to use wifi immediately after the webOS Doctor has completed.
# You must already have copied a correctly configured prefsDB.sl file
# from the /var/preferences/com.palm.wifi/ directory on the device to
# ~/.ssh/com.palm.wifi.prefsDB.sl or to ./config/com.palm.wifi.prefsDB.sl
# on your host machine before enabling this feature, or it will cause a 
# fatal error.
So if you hook your PC up to a webOS device already configured for your WiFi network, then run the following in your meta-doctor folder:
Code:
mkdir config
novacom get file://var/preferences/com.palm.wifi/prefsDB.sl > config/com.palm.wifi.prefsDB.sl
and then uncomment the
Code:
# INSTALL_WIFI_PROFILES = 1
line in the meta-doctor Makefile, it should be taken care of.
Thanks a lot! I'm trying this tonight. This does require me to re-doctor, right?
razor1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 10:31 AM   #862 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, the scripts are all set with:
Code:
AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE=1
Perhaps we should re-evaluate that.

You can either set that to "0" or delete the entire string at the bottom of the script and re-run it to doctor your phone without Preware auto-installing.
Ok, I will redo it tonight and take that line out of the script. Do I need to turn off my backups first? Or since I am currently on 2.1.0 and just going back to 2.1.0 is my profile safe?
rockandchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 10:41 AM   #863 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandchelle View Post
Ok, I will redo it tonight and take that line out of the script. Do I need to turn off my backups first? Or since I am currently on 2.1.0 and just going back to 2.1.0 is my profile safe?
Your backups will be fine. No need to disable them first.
EdCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 10:45 AM   #864 (permalink)

Quote:
Your backups will be fine. No need to disable them first.
I wonder what is causing the issues and I wonder if is something that could be fixed without have to re-doctor. Guess we will have to wait for Rod to get up to see what he says.
Old 02/24/2011, 11:06 AM   #865 (permalink)

I am running into a problem with the build scripts. I am trying to bypass activation but keep the first use app. The problem is I don't own a sim card and cannot get past the sim card check screen.

Should there be another section to bypass sim check? I have tried a couple times now but it will not allow me past this stage.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 on VirtualBox. I edited the MakeFile and added the switches I wanted including bypass activation.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
My website
Twitter (Millertech)
troymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:07 AM   #866 (permalink)

Quote:
I have this problem too. It is also reverting to this "phantom" installation every time I use Preware to do a Luna restart. Makes patching much less fun.

It does always come back after a simple uninstall/reinstall, and I now have the Preware bootstrap script on my Pre's USB drive.
Mine did this too but it was because the App Catalog was trying to update it. You'll notice the little download circle (not filled in, of course) to the top-right of the icon. I went into the App Catalog and saw a yellow triangle next to it, touched that and told it not to update.

However, now, Preware doesn't show up at all. Was going to try to reinstall today but with the webos-internals site and feeds down, I haven't been able to.
estockda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: EdCates
Old 02/24/2011, 11:10 AM   #867 (permalink)

I just noticed (after now nearly 2 days) that the systemsounds dont work all the time, they are enabled in the config menu and volume is all up, but most of the time they dont work (Swipe Away Card Sound, Notification Sound (email, message, Calendar and so on) all other sound like phone, ringtone, music, sound of games work fine.
anyone else noticed this problem? maybe has a fix for it?
Another thing that is not normal is the card where i enter the pin of my sim. its white and this looks strange
everything else works fine tho
Sonic-NKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:12 AM   #868 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
Can anyone advise on the addition of the Verizon Mobile Hotspot application to the 2.1 meta-doctor process? I believe the Pre2 (2.0.1) doctor has this application...?

And yes, i know there is FreeTether. The data plan for my phone is only 150MB, while the Mobile Hotspot is a free 5GB... Unless FreeTether can mask itself as Mobile Hotspot it won't do the trick for me.
I'm curious about the same thing. Losing mobile hotspot is the only thing preventing me from doctoring right now.

Last edited by mjuliano; 02/24/2011 at 11:18 AM.
mjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:25 AM   #869 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuliano View Post
I'm curious about the same thing. Losing mobile hotspot is the only thing preventing me from doctoring right now.

That's what FreeTether is for.

M.
Xanadu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:31 AM   #870 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
That's what FreeTether is for.

M.
As my post says, mobile hotspot is free for 5GB. My data plan is only 150mb.

Can FreeTether mask itself as mobile hotspot?
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:32 AM   #871 (permalink)

Webos-Internals is back up. Feeds and all.
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:37 AM   #872 (permalink)

Ack! Guys, I am having issues with the "Terminal" app. I tried installing it directly, upgrading it via Preware, and uninstalling/reinstalling it via Preware.

Is Terminal non-functional in 2.1, or am I doing something wrong? I like/need terminal access!!! (It's a Linux device for Pete's sake!)

[EDIT]

Feeds started working again!

[EDIT2]

Someone else beat me to it!
Old 02/24/2011, 11:41 AM   #873 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
Ack! Guys, I am having issues with the "Terminal" app. I tried installing it directly, upgrading it via Preware, and uninstalling/reinstalling it via Preware.

Is Terminal non-functional in 2.1, or am I doing something wrong? I like/need terminal access!!! (It's a Linux device for Pete's sake!)

*PLEASE* post the Lumberjack output here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...minal-app.html

I have nothing 2.* so I can't really look at it, but, someone else may be able to.

M.

P.S.
I don't know if that's the "official" thread or not, but, a fair number of people that use Terminal watch it.
Xanadu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Kujila
Old 02/24/2011, 11:46 AM   #874 (permalink)

Xanadu; Not familiar with lumberjack. Is this a crash-report log somewhere? I will gladly post it in that thread to help
Old 02/24/2011, 11:53 AM   #875 (permalink)

Verizon p/plus user. I followed all the directions & installed virtualbox w/ ubuntu 10.10. Zip, copy, extract on win7 and install!

I'm a relative noob to terminal stuff, the instructions were great, but I did have to look up how to get my phone in recovery mode to keep it from booting and interrupting the doc.

I haven't put flash on (yet) but so far everything seems to be working great! A little lag at times, but nothing a little overclock won't fix, which I understand will take some time.

Voice dial comes up, but I haven't actually tested it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!
Brian+--

PS (EV is the same as 3G, right?)

Also, Bing has a cached page of the 2.1 upgrade instructions if webos-internals goes down again.

/donating come payday.
brian.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:54 AM   #876 (permalink)

"While ROW Pre and Pre Plus devices running 2.1 are accepted, Pre and Pre Plus devices running on Sprint,"
Well I did everything by the book or should I say by the script for pre-wr and my German O2 ROW pre is masqueraded as 1.4.5 . I used Cygwin on XP and cannot figure out how to un-masquerade device so it shows 2.1.0. I have novacom installed obviously and tried running those three command lines I've seen in this post but no success.
Thanks for help. I know this may sound easy for ya but I'm very new to webOS.
fremen567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 11:57 AM   #877 (permalink)

will we have a overclock for this?
nyczwillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 12:01 PM   #878 (permalink)

as soon as the source code for the kernel becomes available Rod says within the day.
graffix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 12:11 PM   #879 (permalink)
Fuu

Quote:
I have this problem too. It is also reverting to this "phantom" installation every time I use Preware to do a Luna restart. Makes patching much less fun.

It does always come back after a simple uninstall/reinstall, and I now have the Preware bootstrap script on my Pre's USB drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandchelle View Post
I am experiencing this same issue. I install preware using palm-install and can immediately use it. However, upon a restart mine shows up like in the above picture. I can then do a palm-install -r to remove it and then reinstall it again, and I can use it fine until the next restart. Any ideas?
i didnt figure out how to fix the Preware issue, so i used Meta again without auto_install_preware.
only solution so far..

and i had to do it again on 4 Pres!!
Fuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2011, 12:12 PM   #880 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuu View Post
i didnt figure out how to fix the Preware issue, so i used Meta again without auto_install_preware.
only solution so far..

and i had to do it again on 4 Pres!!
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I will start the process over again on my Mac as soon as I get home tonight.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0