Page 33 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
    Are the card edges choppy because it's a test version from HP? Not being picky, just curious...
  2. Fuu
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    You don't really "uninstall" WOSQI.... isn't it just a jar file? I still can't get it to see my Sprint Pre webOS 2.1 (using 4.03).
    talking about preware here...

Quote Originally Posted by _artem_ View Post
    hmm. don't know
    i doctored my pre- without any options except REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK=1
    then manually set dev mode to ON and installed preware via WOSQI 4.0.3
    i used auto_install_preware, and it didnt work, maybe thats why it wont work after reboot.
    will check with second pre.
    first, much thanks to Rod Whitby and the others who have worked on this.

next, 3 questions I've not seen asked or answered:

1. Would meta-doctoring a Verizon Pre Plus to 2.1 now in any way harm the ability to load an Official Verizon 2.x upgrade if they were to ever release one?

2. Does anyone know how close the kernel guru's are to releasing a 2.1-compatible uberkernel?

3. What about Verizon Mobile HotSpot? Is it possible to pull it from the Verizon Pre2 dr. and put it in the Pre+ meta-doctor? Or is there some other means to make it work (and no, I don't want freetether). Note that I am talking about a Verizon device, not asking about illegally using the app on different device.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 02/23/2011 at 02:45 PM.
    any way to install other than meta doctor?
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post

next, 2 questions I've not seen asked or answered:

1. Would meta-doctoring a Verizon Pre Plus to 2.1 now in any way harm the ability to load an Official Verizon 2.x upgrade if they were to ever release one?

Shouldn't. Just may have to doctor back to whatever 2.x official release they give(it's very unlikely they'll ever release it IMO)

2. Does anyone know how close the kernel guru's are to releasing a 2.1-compatible uberkernel?
    they're waiting for the kernel source to be posted to Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm for webOS2.1.0. Then Rod says it'll be available within 24 hrs.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ

next, 2 questions I've not seen asked or answered:

1. No.

2. Palm hasn't released the source for the 2.1 kernel yet. rwhitby has said they could have a test kernel out as quickly as an hour after that drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    any way to install other than meta doctor?
    No, and unless your carrier gets an official release there never will be.

next, 3 questions I've not seen asked or answered:

3. What about Verizon Mobile HotSpot? Is it possible to pull it from the Verizon Pre2 dr. and put it in the Pre+ meta-doctor? Or is there some other means to make it work (and no, I don't want freetether). Note that I am talking about a Verizon device, not asking about illegally using the app on different device.
    1. I wouldn't think so, its all doctoring in the end. No OTA.

2. Not at all, the source isn't even out yet to begin. Still some time away.

3. I haven't tried this myself, technically you could pull it from the verizon 2.1 doctor and install it on your phone. But just use freeTether from the webos internals testing feed. I just used it and it worked on my Sprint Pre webOS 2.1.
    Fuu, try this at a terminal:

$ novaterm
    $ rm /var/palm/data/com.palm.appInstallService/installHistory.db
    $ reboot
    Then install it using the instructions for the Pre 2 here:
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I flashed the roadrunner firmware onto my pre, which did nothing but re-install 1.7. I cannot find 1.8 anywhere. I'm still not able to send / receive text messages on VZW. I have no clue what's wrong. Maybe I should call Verizon? Just maybe it's a network error on their part. I don't know what else to do. I've tried everything I can think of.
  11. OrR
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Are the card edges choppy because it's a test version from HP? Not being picky, just curious...
    No. This is an official release, not a test version. The reason they are choppy is probably because:
    -the Pre has a low screen resolution
    -making them smoother would take too much computation or coding time
    -it actually looks pretty good on the actual device so there is no real need for improvement

I made a Patches on 2.1.0 topic to see what works and what doesn't:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...s-2-1-0-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    it's sitting inside the rootfs folder in the freely available doctors, and alternatively if you ran the 2.1 metadoctor scripts it's in the root of your meta-doctor folder. I think posting the contents of the file is on the wrong side of the grey area that this whole process is

a fairly easy way is to connect in USB mode and copy it to your Pre+, then using novaterm copy it from /media/internal/ to /etc/
    What are the commands to do this? I'm not very good with novaterm and it keeps giving me errors. I put palm-build-info-unmasqed into the usb partition and I can't seem to type the right stuff into novaterm to copy it to /etc/palm-build-info.

I have searched and used a few linux commands, but I'm not doing something right

Thanks in advance
  13. Fuu
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Fuu, try this at a terminal:

Then install it using the instructions for the Pre 2 here:
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    argh!
    how to get a terminal on that device!?!?
    Terminal App doesnt work with 2.1.0, my linux runs in virtualbox and wont connect to pre via Win7->VM
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    What are the commands to do this? I'm not very good with novaterm and it keeps giving me errors. I put palm-build-info-unmasqed into the usb partition and I can't seem to type the right stuff into novaterm to copy it to /etc/palm-build-info.

I have searched and used a few linux commands, but I'm not doing something right

Thanks in advance
    Try this:

$ novaterm
    $ mount -o rw,remount /
    $ mv /media/internal/palm-build-info-unmasqed /etc/palm-build-info
    $ reboot
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuu View Post
    argh!
    how to get a terminal on that device!?!?
    Terminal App doesnt work with 2.1.0, my linux runs in virtualbox and wont connect to pre via Win7->VM
    No, at a terminal on your computer, like you did with meta-doctor. The novaterm command puts you into root on your Pre so you can execute the rest of the commands.

Everyone did have to install novaterm to meta-doctor right? Idk, I already had it installed...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  16. Fuu
    it is installed, but it seems it cant communicate to the pre through my VirtualBox.

"failed to connect to server"
    What I think will suck is when facebook releases its 2.0 app with chatting, us 2.x hack0rs won't be able to get it from the app catalog since it will likly be 2.0 only
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    HEY EVERYBODY:

first off, it's Rod not Ron. Get it right, he is the one true god here

In other news, I made a page on the webOS internals wiki detailing the process. Everyone check it out, correct my errors, and help flesh it out: WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals. As I've only done this on Sprint devices so far, I'm probably missing stuff. I figure having a wiki page will cut down on the need for people to kill this web server hunting around on the 31+ pages of this thread looking for the steps, and should drastically cut down on the repeat questions.

thanks!
    Hey suburban_war, I finally got a chance to make a couple of edits to the Wiki. Thank you again for such a great start on this.
  19. Fuu
    i just tried novaterm for windows, put the exe into sdk/bin folder, but when pushing connect it also gives me
    "failed to connect to novacomd"

Pre is in Developer Mode... no idea. :-/

Edit: reconnected, working!
  20.    #660  
    Morning folks, glad to see some success with the meta-scripts.

We now have a documentation wiki page at WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals - please flesh it out for all the device combinations, and add new information there rather than in posts that get lost in this thread.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals