Page 209 of 217 FirstFirst ... 109159199204205206207208209210211212213214 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    I am hard pressed to understand the reluctance of some Windows users to install WUBI, it is just too easy. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Windows users, but having a Unbutu system available with just a reboot is nothing short of amazing. Following the Wubi Guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide is pretty much ***** (Windows User) proof. To all reluctant Windows users just do it and stop bothering Rod with CYGWIN.
    I tried. On 2 separate machines, 1 with 32-bit Win7 and the other with 64-bit. Both times i ran into several errors when trying to boot into Ubuntu.

Each time the error implied that I had dynamic disks (which Linux can't see)...which isn't the case.

Maybe I'm too complicated for WUBI.

So I went the "complicated" route and just used VirtualBox.
    Last edited by callmechewy; 08/12/2011 at 11:10 AM.
    So using the script and steps listed in the Wiki, I got my Verizon Pre+ doctored to 2.1.0 (according to Device Info). As near as I can tell, almost everything is working great!

Can someone give me a couple apps to try that require 2.0 or higher?
    Last edited by callmechewy; 08/12/2011 at 01:43 PM.
    I am hard pressed to understand the reluctance of some Windows users to install WUBI, it is just too easy. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Windows users, but having a Unbutu system available with just a reboot is nothing short of amazing. Following the Wubi Guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide is pretty much ***** (Windows User) proof. To all reluctant Windows users just do it and stop bothering Rod with CYGWIN.
    Agreed. Going through the steps and running it in Ubuntu is the better method, and it is the easiest possible way to get Linux booting. HOWEVER, it does take up a bigger footprint than the "alternative" method. I didn't have an extra 10GB to spare on my laptop drive for ubuntu and needed to build a meta doctor. Found a creative solution that worked.

Sorry if it bothers anyone that this method works. If Rod would like I'll delete my post, as I don't want to undermine the good work these guys are doing. I just wanted to share that it CAN work, in case there was any question, and share my steps, which are essentially the same.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  4.    #4164  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Agreed. Going through the steps and running it in Ubuntu is the better method, and it is the easiest possible way to get Linux booting. HOWEVER, it does take up a bigger footprint than the "alternative" method. I didn't have an extra 10GB to spare on my laptop drive for ubuntu and needed to build a meta doctor. Found a creative solution that worked.

Sorry if it bothers anyone that this method works. If Rod would like I'll delete my post, as I don't want to undermine the good work these guys are doing. I just wanted to share that it CAN work, in case there was any question, and share my steps, which are essentially the same.
    As long as you realise that you are now obligated to help anyone trying to use Cygwin, no problem.

Cygwin issues -> PM kevets.

-- Rod
    Has anyone else seen system sounds randomly disappear and reappear later?
    I'm on a Verizon Pre+ with 2.1.0 (straight from the Wiki).

My ringer always works, as does the Music Player and VoiceDial app...but 1/2 the time my system sounds (messaging, holding power button, throwing away cards, etc) just go away. They are enabled in the Sounds and Ringtones app, and the volume is all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As long as you realise that you are now obligated to help anyone trying to use Cygwin, no problem.

Cygwin issues -> PM kevets.

-- Rod
    I'm willing to help out if someone needs it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

My ringer always works, as does the Music Player and VoiceDial app...but 1/2 the time my system sounds (messaging, holding power button, throwing away cards, etc) just go away. They are enabled in the Sounds and Ringtones app, and the volume is all the way up.
    I haven't seen it on my Pre 2 running 2.1, but I have seen it on my TouchPad!
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  8. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

I think some folks had attributed this to voicedial. After using voicedial, system sounds are muted until restart.
    Hey buddy I'm no ***** and I have been trying for the better part of 3 hrs. to get this crap to work. I install the software and when it boots into ubuntu I get an error about setting root paremeters. I have looked high and low to try to figure out what the problem is but I haven't found any help on the matter. So please keep your condescending attitude to yourself, everything is not always easy as pie as you may think.
  10.    #4170  
    'get this *crap* to work', hey?

Hmm. Feel free to ask for a refund.

-- Rod
    Just for the record I was talking about the wubi not the modified doctor or internals. I am just very frustrated with the lack of knowledge that is readily available. If there was some kind of trouble shooting guide on the ubuntu site I might have been able to fix the problem already, as it stands right now I have officially said forget it and moved on to repairing my sons rc car.
    And I have donated to the internals team and bought the first fund raising app, although I missed out on the last one.
  13.    #4173  
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    Just for the record I was talking about the wubi not the modified doctor or internals.
    Ah, my misreading of your message.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    I am just very frustrated with the lack of knowledge that is readily available. If there was some kind of trouble shooting guide on the ubuntu site I might have been able to fix the problem already, as it stands right now I have officially said forget it and moved on to repairing my sons rc car.
    Always a much better use of one's time

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just donated that Jackson I promised you a couple weeks ago...sorry it took so long but life got in the way! Thanks for all you do...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

kevets likes this.
    I just wanted to share my story with 2.1 Meta-doctor and my Sprint Pre-

A few months ago, I Meta-doctored to 2.1 from 1.4.5. Before I did it, I had a full year and a half without doing any doctors or anything. I ran UK, and everything was stable.

After going to 2.1, I found a lot of lag with UK, and I started to research how to go back to 1.4.5. Many people said to try F104a before going back, since it made 2.1 run better. I did that, and it did run better. I still had a few lag points (unlocking, camera, etc..), but I was happy enough.

Then last week (I think after an update to F104a and/or Govnah), my phone kept running really hot (constant 45-55deg). Normally it would stay under 40. I never changed anything, just did the updates in Preware.

Finally, after a few days, it would not stay on at all. When the screen turned off, I had to pull the battery, and it would only stay up as long as the screen was on. I decided to doctor back to 1.4.5, just to test things out, make sure my processor wasn't fried or something.

Well, in 1.4.5, none of my apps re-downloaded, and I missed 2.1 a lot. So after 1.4.5 rand stable for a few days, started from scratch on the Wiki, and did the Meta-Doctor again.

Now, Im running 2.1, and it seems faster than 1.4.5, and Im still running the stock Palm Kernel @ 500 MHz.

I find myself checking the Device options just to make sure I'm actually on 2.1! I can not understand how when I was using UK or F104a, I had lag issues, but with bone stock, with no overclocking, its running perfectly! I have come to the conclusion it must be due to having a clean (new) 1.4.5 before doing the Meta-doctor.

Sorry for the long post, but if this is a good way to get 2.1 running smooth, I think others should try it. I don't even feel the need to overclock, that's how smooth it is!

I'll defiantly be donating to WebOS-Internals very soon! Thanks for all the efforts!
    Edit - Double post!
    Last edited by nalek; 08/16/2011 at 03:09 PM.
    Quick question -- since I can now download the 2.1.0 official VZW Pre2 doctor, do I need to disable backups and revert back to the 2.0.1 build first, or can I just move over from the metadoctor to the official build straightaway?
  18.    #4178  
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleFart9 View Post
    Quick question -- since I can now download the 2.1.0 official VZW Pre2 doctor, do I need to disable backups and revert back to the 2.0.1 build first, or can I just move over from the metadoctor to the official build straightaway?
    Safest is to simply doctor directly to the 2.1.0 official doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    so I have doing some testing with my pre- and webos 2.0 since it seems to be locking up on me after a couple of months of using 2.0 on my pre-. Used 90% of the item on the swap memory page, and although it helped it did not stop the lock up. But if I run it in roam mode only it works like a charm. Anyone else see this or is it a fluke?
    If it just recently started to lock up on you, it may be the changes HP did to the backup servers. I was having the same trouble. I turned off the backup, let the server clear the old files, and turned the backup system back on. All's been fine since.