Page 20 of 217 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1.    #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by mandaman2k View Post
    Could you please please please post a quick guide of what you did to get it going? if it is not against the rules only
    Why would that be against any rules? (assuming it's been done with legal inputs).

But I do encourage folks to collaborate on a single webos-internals.org Wiki page with these guides, not to post separate ones on disparate forum posts.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2.    #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Okay, here's where I'm at now:

I've got the modem updated, calls are fine (no missed notifications), texts come through. With the 2.1.0 palm-build-info, I can purchase apps, but not see any PDK apps. Fling, Angry Birds, Quell, etc. Is this how it's supposed to operate currently?
    You should be able to see 1.4.5 PDK apps. What does your palm.com/palmprofile version say?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    It still says 9.9.9.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4.    #384  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    I wonder why Palm uses CompCache in the Pre+ kernel, because the Pre+ has the same amount of memory as the Pre 2.
    It has a conditional around it, based on a preferences file.

I suspect that preferences file exists in the unreleased Pre- version of the doctor.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by callmesaul8889 View Post
    Success with the Sprint FrankenPre+! I followed Leathal's post #185

but instead of injecting the CDMA firmware, I copied it manually after doctoring and flashed the firmware from Novaterm. I couldn't get MetaDoctor to build with my custom webOS.tar for some reason.
    I just went this route as well, worked smoothly (anyone wondering, check ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals). I think I was just doing something wrong the way I was trying it with MetaDoctor.

I switched to the O2 palm-build-info, rebooted, and am now installing angry birds lite (don't feel like buying yet another copy, already own it on 2 palm profiles, Maemo, iOS, Mac OS, and Windows). Only issue I have in the app catalog is being unable to install apps that are webOS 2 only such as Music Player Remix (is this the only one so far?).
  6.    #386  
    It still says 9.9.9.
    That means you didn't do the masquerade correctly when logging into the profile.

-- Rod
    Okay, so I think I got it backwards then. When we do the masquerade, we start with the 1.4.5 palm-install-build? Then after we log in and what not, we switch to the 2.1.0 palm-install build using novacom? Because I did it the other way around...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  8.    #388  
    When we do the masquerade, we start with the 1.4.5 palm-install-build? Then after we log in and what not, we switch to the 2.1.0 palm-install build using novacom?
    Correct.

-- Rod
    IMPORTANT: THIS SCRIPT IS OBSOLETE. Keep reading...

rwhitby has taken the script formerly attached to this post and rolled it into the meta-doctor! It now supports Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and "WR" devices. Reading this post is still a good idea, as it does provide some idea of what to expect from the script.

Here's a script for Sprint. It assumes the following:

• You're running Linux.
    • You have git, java & patch installed (ready for meta-doctor).
    • You have a Sprint phone with valid tokens already. Note that if you're running a FrankenPre+ on Sprint you have already fixed your tokens, and don't need to change them again. This script will work for you.

It does the following for you:

• Creates ~/webOS
    • Pulls down the latest meta-doctor into ~/webOS/meta-doctor
    • Downloads the relevant VZW, Sprint, and O2 webOS Doctor JAR files if they don't already exist in ~/webOS/meta-doctor/downloads
    • Unpacks the jar files; creates a custom webOS.tar file with the VZW CDMA modem firmware; copies the Sprint palm-build-info file
    • Makes a final jar file using all the right parts from all the right places
    • Launches webOS doctor with the new custom JAR file.

To run it, download & unip the attachment, then launch the script from the command line:
    Code:
    ./meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0-r1.sh
    Note that the webOS doctor WILL FAIL at the end due to an MD5sum mismatch. rwhitby is going to fix this in a future meta-doctor version. The Doctor should get up around 84% and fail when verifying the ROM. The java GUI will say it failed to reset your phone. You will need to pull the battery on the phone to restart it.

After you've restarted and logged into your Palm Profile, you can copy the ~/webOS/meta-doctor/palm-build-info-unmasqed into /etc/palm-build-info on your phone.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE. If your phone becomes unusable, re-doctor it with the Sprint 1.4.5 webOS doctor and hope for the best. It certainly saved my bacon this afternoon.
    Last edited by EdCates; 02/23/2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: ...aaaaand just like that, the script is obsolete. Gotta love progress!
    Wow, okay, 3rd doctor's the charm. The doctor didn't finish like the other person's, but it still booted fine and the app catalog has the pdk apps, purchasing works, and my profile on palm.com/profile says 1.40.50 now. Thank you Rod, EdCates, and Leathal.

Well, I can post a guide of sorts to what I did broken down into baby steps for others to crucify merciless, it's not really a problem. I would prefer not to put it on a wiki though...someone else can edit it and stick it on there for me.

Edit: Nevermind. You rock EdCates!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11. OrR
    webOS 2.1 runs perfectly on my O2-bought launchday Pre- on (German carrier) Simyo.
    I did a metadoctor with REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1 enabled in the makefile. (Also developer mode, Preware for convenience.)
    For some reason the doctor didn't get past 2% the first two times I tried so I then tried with resetting and holding volume up. That made it work.
    Profile works without issues. Profile data is restored. Stuff on the USB partition is still there. Apps are being installed. I was able to buy Voice Memos from the app catalog.
    I'm amazed how smooth this update went. I guess they solved some of the earlier server issues with profiles.
    Oh yeah, voice dialing is definitely there and works as crappy as I expected.
    Now I desperately need an Uberkernel, though...
    Last edited by OrR; 02/23/2011 at 02:01 AM.
  12.    #392  
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post

• You're running Linux.
    • You have a Sprint phone with valid tokens already. Note that if you're running a FrankenPre+ on Sprint you have already fixed your tokens, and don't need to change them again. This script will work for you.

• Creates ~/webOS
    • Downloads the relevant VZW, Sprint, and O2 webOS Doctor JAR files if they don't already exist in ~/webOS/meta-doctor/downloads
    • Unpacks the jar files; creates a custom webOS.tar file with the VZW CDMA modem firmware; copies the Sprint palm-build-info file

To run it, download & unip the attachment, then launch the script from the command line:
    Code:
    ./meta-meta.sh
    Note that the webOS doctor WILL FAIL at the end due to an MD5sum mismatch. rwhitby is going to fix this in a future meta-doctor version. The Doctor should get up around 84% and fail when verifying the ROM. The java GUI will say it failed to reset your phone. You will need to pull the battery on the phone to restart it.

After you've restarted and logged into your Palm Profile, you can copy the ~/webOS/meta-doctor/palm-build-info-unmasqed into /etc/palm-build-info on your phone.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE. If your phone becomes unusable, re-doctor it with the Sprint 1.4.5 webOS doctor and hope for the best. It certainly saved my bacon this afternoon.
    Any chance you can rename that to meta-sprint-pre-210-v1.sh or something, so we can track which specific script and version of that script that people are using when they report issues? And increment to -v2, -v3 etc on each change?

-- Rod
  13.    #393  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    webOS 2.1 runs perfectly on my O2-bought launchday Pre- on (German carrier) Simyo.
    I did a metadoctor with REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1 enabled in the makefile. (Also developer mode, Preware for convenience.)
    Profile works without issues. Profile data is restored. Stuff on the USB partition is still there. Apps are being installed. I was able to buy Voice Memos from the app catalog.
    I'm amazed how smooth this update went. I guess they solved some of the earlier server issues with profiles.
    Oh yeah, voice dialing is definitely there and works as crappy as I expected...
    Now I desperately need an Uberkernel, though...
    As soon as we see the kernel source for 2.1.0 on opensource.palm.com, we can probably do that within 24 hours.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Any chance you can rename that to meta-sprint-pre-210-v1.sh or something, so we can track which specific script and version of that script that people are using when they report issues? And increment to -v2, -v3 etc on each change?

-- Rod
    But of course. Makes perfect sense. You got it.

Now I need to get some sleep. I'll check back in the morning to see what clever and exciting ways people have found to break the script. :-D
  15.    #395  
    Here's a script for Sprint.
    I've reviewed the script, and can confirm that it captures my understanding of the state of the art procedure for flashing webOS 2.1.0 on a Sprint Pre-.

Ed, be ready for a Meta-Doctor update soon with simpler CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST=P100EWW and CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST=Sprint for the command line.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/23/2011 at 02:10 AM.
    Okay, last thing. On one of the earlier doctors, I was able to put a new palm-build-info over okay, but now I'm having some trouble. I can get files from the device, but trying to put one there gives me this:

novacom put file:///etc/palm-build-info < ~/meta-doctor/build/preplus-p101ueude-wr-2.1.0/rootfs/etc/palm-build-info
    bad or error response from other side: 'file open failed'
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    so is it safe to assume that now that the sprint 2.1 is close to running perfectly, will the verizon doctor be next?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've reviewed the script, and can confirm that it captures my understanding of the state of the art procedure for flashing webOS 2.1.0 on a Sprint Pre-.

Ed, be ready for a Meta-Doctor update soon with simpler CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST=P100EWW and CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST=Sprint for the command line.

Thanks,

-- Rod
    Oooh! That would be much less unseemly. :-) How soon is soon? Like, when I get to work in six hours?

• You're running Linux.

• Creates ~/webOS

Code:
    ./meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0-r1.sh

What would I need to modify to run this script on OSX? I don't think the paths for GIT or Java etc are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    so is it safe to assume that now that the sprint 2.1 is close to running perfectly, will the verizon doctor be next?
    That's for the knowledgeable Verizon folks to decide.

Though I think the meta-sprint script would be easy to convert to Verizon. Just pull the VZW palm-build-info from the Verizon Pre2 instead of the Sprint/Pre one. Heck, it'd even be one less webOS doctor JAR file to download.