Page 192 of 217 FirstFirst ... 92142182187188189190191192193194195196197202 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    thanks,
    CD
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 04/22/2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: uh, wrong thread. =P
    I see pandas.
    I purchased a couple of Sprint Pre's off of ebay and installed the 2.1 wifi version only so my daughters can experiance webos. Everything went perfect except for the fact that there was a voicemail on one of the phones and 4 voicemail messages on the other. I can clear the icon but it comes back on reboot or battery replacement. You used to be able to go into the phone preferences and clear the VM icon but I don't see that option in 2.1. Can anyone be of any help?

Thanks,

David
    well, my activation of my refurb went ok- posted in another thread-

basically followed rod's recommendations- sorta- doctored my original device to 1.4.5, logged into it using a dummy acct because I forgot to do a secure erase, so I could delete the usb.
    logged into my refurb device, but with my original profile...nothing backed up, no apps! Panicked a bit...deleted my backup and tried to metadoctor back up to 2.1. I was having all kinds of trouble with the wubi method, so someone on the other thread directed me to where I could find my metadoctored profile that I used for the cygwin method, before I
    t was pulled. I metadoctored to 2.1 smoothly.

so here I am, back at webos 2.1.

at some point, I would like to create the metadoctor with the wubi method, but to be honest, its caused all kinds of headaches with errors on three windows machines I have.

My question then- is there any
    difference in stability issues with which method is used to metadoctor to 2.1? There are a whole host of bugs with webOS 2.1 that have been reported and that I have experienced such as system sounds getting muted after activating voice dail, pauses after sending messages, random disappearances of the bookmarks in the browsers, the disappearance of the right drop down menu after using wifi, etc.

are the bugs for everyone, or only those using the cygwin technique?

if they are bugs for everyone, shame on palm for releasing such a buggy software update...yes, I know its not meant for legacy devices, but I believe there are gsm pre2's with some of these bugs...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    My question then- is there any
    difference in stability issues with which method is used to metadoctor to 2.1? There are a whole host of bugs with webOS 2.1 that have been reported and that I have experienced such as system sounds getting muted after activating voice dail, pauses after sending messages, random disappearances of the bookmarks in the browsers, the disappearance of the right drop down menu after using wifi, etc.

are the bugs for everyone, or only those using the cygwin technique?
    Those are generic 2.1 bugs. You should better ask if ANY of the people that created their doctors in Linux/Mac, has any obscure weird things happening on their devices, like Preware not running, app catalog not running, errors installing things, etc. Those things go wrong when the commands that are used to run them are invalid, and that happens sometimes when you create your meta doctor with cygwin.

PLEASE, STOP ASKING TO USE CYGWIN, STOP USING CYGWIN, YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS, DON'T DO IT, PLEASE!

Rod has already stopped answering questions when people has done their doctors with Cygwin. I will also, so, stop it. Please.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I am not asking to use cygwin, I merely mentioned that because I was having trouble downloading ubuntu on three different windows machines...since this is my only phone, and I couldn't get my apps in 1.4.5 on my refurb (my mistake) I needed to get to 2.1 as quickly as possible. Cygwin worked nicely the first time around, so I used the same file that gave me NO problems whatsoever except for the few bugs I mentioned. I just wanted to get a sense if the bugs I was experiencing was a general bugs issue (which you confirmed, thanks) as opposed to my metadoctored file that I created with the now defunct cygwin method. At some point if I can ever get ubuntu installed on any of my windows computers, I would like to use the linux installation method. If it would have fixed the bugs, I would try harder to fix the installation errors I have been getting, also experienced by a few others in posts above mine. But if its a general webOS 2.1 issue, then there is no urgency on my part. That was my only question, not how to use cygwin.

ok?
  6.    #3826  
    Eventually someone will work out what is wrong with cygwin and fix it ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead47 View Post
    I purchased a couple of Sprint Pre's off of ebay and installed the 2.1 wifi version only so my daughters can experiance webos. Everything went perfect except for the fact that there was a voicemail on one of the phones and 4 voicemail messages on the other. I can clear the icon but it comes back on reboot or battery replacement. You used to be able to go into the phone preferences and clear the VM icon but I don't see that option in 2.1. Can anyone be of any help?

Thanks,

David
    Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Any possibility the real problem is your volume button. Holding volume up invokes Voice Dial and since you were listening to music when the problem occurred, perhaps you were using the volume button and it's got issues.

Just a thought. Personally, I'm loving Voice Dial though I've noticed sometimes after cancelling it it won't work again until the phone is restarted.
    ha ha

that's exactly what was happening, but i thought it was just weird it could and would trigger VD to pop up like that.

tks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Eventually someone will work out what is wrong with cygwin and fix it ...

-- Rod

Well, I took a bit of time (a whopping 30 minutes folks...) while my Son is playing WoW to sacrifice one of my XP VM's on my main Gentoo machine. I have built the doctor with cygwin. The output is attached. The words "error" and "fail" *literally* do not even appear in the output. I can think of only two reasons why it was failg for people:

1. They weren't actually reading the directions and not selecting the proper packages to install to make it work.
    2. Their Windows install is hosed. My VM is ("was", now...) a super clean, bare-bones XP install.

Granted I haven't tested the Doctor yet, but, I'll have some time Tuesday (that's the best I can do - it's only Saturday here (Easter Tomorrow, GF off Monday)).

If you'd like, I can see if Vista still boots on my Gentoo Laptop and try it all there too.

CygwinOutput.txt

EDIT:
    Interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by bash
    me@aragorn ~/webOS/Doctors $ md5sum 2.1-ROD/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar
    f8254187efe3c391c494590d91764035 2.1-ROD/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

me@aragorn ~/webOS/Doctors $ md5sum 2.1-Cygwin/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar
    0a451926e34182288c2570399edc2b89 2.1-Cygwin/webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

First one built two days ago on this Gentoo machine. Second built half-hour ago on Cygwin, in XP VM on same Gentoo machine. I don't know if the difference is critical or not yet, though. There are no errors in the output.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 04/23/2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Well, I took a bit of time (a whopping 30 minutes folks...) while my Son is playing WoW to sacrifice one of my XP VM's on my main Gentoo machine. I have built the doctor with cygwin. The output is attached. The words "error" and "fail" *literally* do not even appear in the output. I can think of only two reasons why it was failg for people:

1. They weren't actually reading the directions and not selecting the proper packages to install to make it work.
    2. Their Windows install is hosed. My VM is ("was", now...) a super clean, bare-bones XP install.

Granted I haven't tested the Doctor yet, but, I'll have some time Tuesday (that's the best I can do - it's only Saturday here (Easter Tomorrow, GF off Monday)).

If you'd like, I can see if Vista still boots on my Gentoo Laptop and try it all there too.

CygwinOutput.txt

EDIT:
    Interesting:

First one built two days ago on this Gentoo machine. Second built half-hour ago on Cygwin, in XP VM on same Gentoo machine. I don't know if the difference is critical or not yet, though. There are no errors in the output.

M.
    There will be no Meta Doctor generated files with the samd MD5 sum, the recompressed files include time data, so it will always be different
    You would have to uncompress both and match the MD5 sum for each of the files.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Any hope of getting a 2.1 metadoctor for Verizon Pre2's? I'm getting impatient w Verizon... Heck I fear they won't update it at all since they are getting the Pre3!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    well, my activation of my refurb went ok- posted in another thread-

I was having all kinds of trouble with the wubi method, so someone on the other thread directed me to where I could find my metadoctored profile that I used for the cygwin method, before I
    t was pulled. I metadoctored to 2.1 smoothly.

so here I am, back at webos 2.1.
    Glad that worked out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    There will be no Meta Doctor generated files with the samd MD5 sum, the recompressed files include time data, so it will always be different
    You would have to uncompress both and match the MD5 sum for each of the files.

Ah... I didn't realize that. I agree, the only way would be to dissect both and see if anything differs that way. Bash to the rescue!

M.
    Ah... I didn't realize that. I agree, the only way would be to dissect both and see if anything differs that way. Bash to the rescue!
    This is all rather interesting. There seems to be be only two differences between the files contained in the real Doctor from the cygwin Doctor.

Linux:
    me@aragorn ~/webOS/TEMP/2.1-ROD $ ls -l ./resources/usr/bin/cryptpw ./resources/usr/bin/tee
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 me users 17 Apr 23 19:22 ./resources/usr/bin/cryptpw -> ../../bin/busybox
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 me users 17 Apr 23 19:22 ./resources/usr/bin/tee -> ../../bin/busybox
    Cygwin:
    me@aragorn ~/webOS/TEMP/2.1-Cygwin $ ls -l ./resources/usr/bin/cryptpw ./resources/usr/bin/tee
    ---------- 1 me users 0 Apr 23 12:14 ./resources/usr/bin/cryptpw
    ---------- 1 me users 0 Apr 23 12:14 ./resources/usr/bin/tee
    I don't know if tee is major important to webOS or not, but clearly the cryptpw should be mission critical.

The build dirs for the two are different as well.

Linux:
    me@aragorn /srv/meta-doctor/build $ find -type f | wc ; find -type d | wc ; find -type l | wc
    12905 12905 1074156
    1124 1124 108738
    1043 1043 67634

me@aragorn /srv/meta-doctor/build $ du -d1
    626124 ./meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0
    855684 ./pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.5
    777356 ./pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.0.1
    798912 ./preplus-p101ueu-wr-2.1.0
    3058080 .
    Cygwin:
    Jim Shoe@vbox1 ~/meta-doctor/build
    $ find -type f | wc ; find -type d | wc ; find -type l | wc
    12909 12909 1074361
    1124 1124 108738
    1039 1039 67429

Jim Shoe@vbox1 ~/meta-doctor/build
    $ du -d1
    620475 ./meta-sprint-pre-2.1.0
    850817 ./pre-p100eww-sprint-1.4.5
    771851 ./pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.0.1
    793221 ./preplus-p101ueu-wr-2.1.0
    3036364 .
    I don't know where the difference there is yet. I suspect it's not in the *building* of the Doctor(s), but something in the extraction from the .jars used. Not sure yet. Just thought I'd report this much back. Rod, I'm sure you already know all this, though...

M.
    This is all rather interesting. There seems to be be only two differences between the files contained in the real Doctor from the cygwin Doctor.

Linux:
    Cygwin:
    I don't know if tee is major important to webOS or not, but clearly the cryptpw should be mission critical.

The build dirs for the two are different as well.

Linux:

Cygwin:

I don't know where the difference there is yet. I suspect it's not in the *building* of the Doctor(s), but something in the extraction from the .jars used. Not sure yet. Just thought I'd report this much back. Rod, I'm sure you already know all this, though...

M.
    Yes, it's already known, the problem comes when extracting the .tar.gz from the root filesystem. Windows/Cygwin is not respecting some permissions and links. And that is what borks the installations.

Yes, it's already known, the problem comes when extracting the .tar.gz from the root filesystem. Windows/Cygwin is not respecting some permissions and links. And that is what borks the installations.
    OK. I'll concentrate my efforts there then. I'm not saying I'll get anywhere, but, it's still worth a shot. As much as I hate to suggest it, but, is it possible to simply re-create the busted symlinks after extraction? I know it's a pain and all that, but...

M.
    OK. I'll concentrate my efforts there then. I'm not saying I'll get anywhere, but, it's still worth a shot. As much as I hate to suggest it, but, is it possible to simply re-create the busted symlinks after extraction? I know it's a pain and all that, but...

M.
    I tried it once with a user on IRC, we couldn't make it work. The other way could be set up some type of loopback filesystem just for Cygwin, and do the work there. Or maybe just overwrite the changed files in the original tar file. But we still could have issues. That's the reason Rod decided to just drop support for Cygwin.

A good exercise would be create a tar file with several hundreds of files, including different permissions, links and dev files, and try to unpack it and repack it, several times, to see if there's anything weird.

Maybe it's just a race condition bug in Cygwin in which the file type gets applied before the file is even created or something like that.

If you're up to the task you should create something like a "Make MetaDoctor work again on windows effort" thread to avoid confusing users here

I tried it once with a user on IRC, we couldn't make it work. The other way could be set up some type of loopback filesystem just for Cygwin, and do the work there. Or maybe just overwrite the changed files in the original tar file. But we still could have issues. That's the reason Rod decided to just drop support for Cygwin.

A good exercise would be create a tar file with several hundreds of files, including different permissions, links and dev files, and try to unpack it and repack it, several times, to see if there's anything weird.

Maybe it's just a race condition bug in Cygwin in which the file type gets applied before the file is even created or something like that.

If you're up to the task you should create something like a "Make MetaDoctor work again on windows effort" thread to avoid confusing users here

Oh, I completely agree with the decision to drop Cygwin as a supported option. I'm certainly not questioning that at all by looking into this. I'm just finding it an interesting puzzle that I'm curious what the outcome is.

I am trying a few different things a few different ways and am getting the same things every time with Cygwin: Random symlinks are broke. It's not even the same ones every time which is what makes this an interesting puzzle.

I also agree that here isn't the place to troubleshoot this. I'll dig a bit more and probably start a thread should I uncover something.

M.
    So cygwin is not supported right now due to a problem with not rebooting. I know this. I have experienced this. I rebuilt the doctor completely in Ubuntu and ran it on my phone. Everything worked fine at first but last night after removing a patch, I got stuck on the HP logo again and cant get it to boot up. Im re-doctoring now as I type this. Can anyone help troubleshoot this for me? I didnt think I'd have this problem again after building and doctoring in Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    So cygwin is not supported right now due to a problem with not rebooting. I know this. I have experienced this. I rebuilt the doctor completely in Ubuntu and ran it on my phone. Everything worked fine at first but last night after removing a patch, I got stuck on the HP logo again and cant get it to boot up. Im re-doctoring now as I type this. Can anyone help troubleshoot this for me? I didnt think I'd have this problem again after building and doctoring in Linux.

It's kinda hard to debug when your phone is sitting there erasing all traces of any log.

M.