/meta-doctor/build/preplus-p101ueude-wr-2.1.0/webOS
    Oh err...whoops. Okay, rebuild time.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    I think the castle.xml you are supposted to edit is located in:
    /meta-doctor/build/preplus-p101ueude-wr-2.1.0/webOS
    The easiest way is to copy it up to the top-level and point to it there. Don't edit files under the build directory, or they'll get deleted when you clobber.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by areal View Post
    I now have 2.1.0 working on my O2 GSM Pre which I am using in Australia. My Palm profile was restored and I have access to free apps from the App Catalog as before. I used the following command

with REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK=1 in the makefile.

It took me two tries because when I bypassed the First Use application it didn't appear in the launcher and so I couldn't set up my Palm profile. The second time Preware wasn't installed despite me setting AUTO_INSTALL_PREWARE=1 in the makefile. I can install it using WOSQI but soon after the icon becomes faded and it sends me to the App Catalog for an update that doesn't exist.
    When that happens, remove the installHistory database and reboot to clear it. Then install with palm-install.

Alternatively, leave that out of the Makefile and just use palm-install to install Preware afterwards.

-- Rdo
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  4.    #364  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I didn't mean *now*.
    Yeah, I know. But seriously, folks here can help out a lot by proposing a summary of the findings so far for each combination of devices.

It would be totally awesome if someone was to start a wiki page on webos-internals.org and start writing up the recipes precisely there. Assume that people already have read and understood the MetaDoctor wiki page.

Who's going to be the webOS communication hero that steps up to do this?

I'm going to be focusing on developing the additional meta-doctor features to make specifying the custom model and carrier checks more conveniently (device names instead of long random strings of characters) and also being able to insert the CDMA modem firmware automatically. So I won't have time for writing things up as well.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The easiest way is to copy it up to the top-level and point to it there. Don't edit files under the build directory, or they'll get deleted when you clobber.

-- Rod
    If I'm pointing to the webOS.tar from the makefile, should the castle.xml file in the build directory look the same as the castle.xml file that's packed in my .tar after I build? Because it's not lol.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    If someone makes the aforementioned write-up, please include specifics as to pulling the CDMA firmware from the Pre 2 doctor. I found some of the files, but am unsure of the specific process or migrating it. Pure overwrite, or some tooling involved?

Two big thumbs up for how quickly this is moving. You developers never cease to amaze!
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    If someone makes the aforementioned write-up, please include specifics as to pulling the CDMA firmware from the Pre 2 doctor. I found some of the files, but am unsure of the specific process or migrating it. Pure overwrite, or some tooling involved?
    I know Rod would say I am doing it the wrong way, but I didn't fuss around with trying to inject the cdma firmware file into my custom doctor. I simply ran my custom doctor and booted it the first time. The first use app froze not being able to get a data connection. However, I used novaterm and WebOS Quick Install to send over the firmware file. Then I ran the modem firmware update as per the instructions at ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals.

As soon as the firmware update completed the first use app came out of its coma and let me setup my palm profile.
    I gave WebOS 2.1 a spin on my ATT Pre Plus(Which is my main phone), and, from what I can tell so far, it runs pretty damn nicely. Texts and phone calls seem to work, as does the internet. Hell, I can even connect to a WPA-Enterprise network that I couldn't connect to with the previous version of WebOS. The only two downsides I have seen so far are the non-overclocked cpu and the fact that I cannot access the App Store(I couldn't create a palm profile because I had to skip the first time setup to prevent the phone from freezing). I don't think HP was giving a 100% true excuse when they claimed that the hardware was not capable of running WebOS 2.x, because it seems to be doing fine, and it's not even overclocked! What it seems like to me is, that either HP didn't release WebOS2.x in America because they wanted the Verizon Pre2 to sell, or they just didn't see any use in putting forth effort into pleasing their current userbase because they thought it more beneficial to make more money by selling their new devices.

Once uberkernel or something similar gets released for this, and once the palm profile issue gets solved, I think this OS will function near perfectly.
  9.    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    I know Rod would say I am doing it the wrong way, but I didn't fuss around with trying to inject the cdma firmware file into my custom doctor. I simply ran my custom doctor and booted it the first time. The first use app froze not being able to get a data connection. However, I used novaterm and WebOS Quick Install to send over the firmware file. Then I ran the modem firmware update as per the instructions at ModemFW Flash - WebOS Internals.

As soon as the firmware update completed the first use app came out of its coma and let me setup my palm profile.
    Definitely a viable alternative at the moment until we make the meta-doctor support more convenient.

-- Rod
    it got to > 82% and failed on my spare Sprint Pre. I'm too tired to figure out why now.

I changed stuff in the makefile, the palm-build-info, put my tokens in the castle.xml, and copied the vzw pre 2 cdma firmware into the webOS.tar (changed the name to match the empty one in the O2 webOS.tar). I must have screwed something up. It was a fun adventure either way.

edit: I do remember now that I'm not using the Sun JDK, I'm using OpenJDK on this computer (ubuntu 11.04)

edit2: after pulling the battery, I decided to try and power up the phone before I get it back to 1.4.5.. and oh wait it boots. Then it activates. Signing into my original palm profile (1.4.5 one, the one I made on launch day) didn't work, but another profile I had (probably the one I made for my Pixi) works, restores my account info and such.. I see 1.40.50 on the palm profile site. So far so good. Doing the reboot after restoring my profile data, I'll check back in about 20 minutes after it reboots
    Last edited by suburban_war; 02/22/2011 at 11:40 PM.
  11.    #371  
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    aw it got to about 90% and failed on my spare Sprint Pre. I'm too tired to figure out why now.

I changed stuff in the makefile, the palm-build-info, put my tokens in the castle.xml, and copied the vzw pre 2 cdma firmware into the webOS.tar (changed the name to match the empty one in the O2 webOS.tar). I must have screwed something up. It was a fun adventure either way.
    It likely worked.

*Always* watch the doctor log when flashing. It's a known issue at the moment that if you have replaced palm-build-info, then you will get an IPKG VERIFICATION ERROR near the end of the doctor. Just reboot and continue as if it succeeded. I need to find time to update the meta-doctor to fix the md5sum from the replacement palm-build-info file so it passes the check.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post

Quick question, in the case for the sprint pre-, which .tar file we need to copy, from Verizon Pre2 doctor or from sprint 1.4.5 doctor?

Thanks in advance
    Just bought, downloaded, and installed the Preware Documentation from the app catalog!

This is a Sprint Pre+, initially masqed but now un-masqed, running webOS 2.1.0! w00t!

Now I just need some patches . . . . ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post
    Just bought, downloaded, and installed the Preware Documentation from the app catalog!

This is a Sprint Pre+, initially masqed but now un-masqed, running webOS 2.1.0! w00t!

Did you do anything different? Right now, I've got 2.1.0 installed, but the firmware is not updated, so I'm going to flash it. And I haven't changed the palm-build-info yet, so the catalog still doesn't show the PDK apps. Should I build a doctor without the custom models and carrier checks, but then still change the palm-build-info?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by EdCates View Post

Hi EdCates,

Could you please please please post a quick guide of what you did to get it going? if it is not against the rules only

Thanks a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It likely worked.

*Always* watch the doctor log when flashing. It's a known issue at the moment that if you have replaced palm-build-info, then you will get an IPKG VERIFICATION ERROR near the end of the doctor. Just reboot and continue as if it succeeded. I need to find time to update the meta-doctor to fix the md5sum from the replacement palm-build-info file so it passes the check.

-- Rod
    thanks for the info! right after I posted that I went back and read the "how to recover" wiki page that made mention of what is happening at various percentages: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

The last percentage I remember actually seeing was 82%.

I didn't do the cdma firmware piece correctly, I get the dropped call thing and SMS isn't working. I took the VZW pre2 cdma firmware file and put it in meta-doctor/build/preplus-p101ueude-wr-2.1.0/webOS, mimicing the filename of the file from the O2 doctor (castlecdmafw.tar). guess that wasn't correct. I'll try again in the AM.

tested purchasing apps with the Preware Homebrew Documentation, it worked.
    Success with the Sprint FrankenPre+! I followed Leathal's post #185

but instead of injecting the CDMA firmware, I copied it manually after doctoring and flashed the firmware from Novaterm. I couldn't get MetaDoctor to build with my custom webOS.tar for some reason.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I wonder why Palm uses CompCache in the Pre+ kernel, because the Pre+ has the same amount of memory as the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    I wonder why Palm uses CompCache in the Pre+ kernel, because the Pre+ has the same amount of memory as the Pre 2.
    May be it is going to 2.1 for Pre 2. Who knows?
    Okay, here's where I'm at now:

I've got the modem updated, calls are fine (no missed notifications), texts come through. With the 2.1.0 palm-build-info, I can purchase apps, but not see any PDK apps. Fling, Angry Birds, Quell, etc. Is this how it's supposed to operate currently?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM