Page 189 of 217 FirstFirst ... 89139179184185186187188189190191192193194199 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Linux or MacOS, you can install Linux inside a virtual machine (VirtualBox or VMWare works fine), or the best option is to install Linux (Ubuntu) as a separate OS using Wubi. Check the meta doctor wiki page
    Yeah, I just read that. Thanks. I will give this a try soon.
    just install using a virtual machine and use something like dropbox to move it over to your windows machine. http://db.tt/T4SIXye if you need to sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    just install using a virtual machine and use something like dropbox to move it over to your windows machine. http://db.tt/T4SIXye if you need to sign up.
    WebOS internals says, and gives instructions, to install Ubuntu on windows as a dual boot and you can delete it if you dont need it anymore. Which way is easier?
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yep. Voice Dial sucks. Big time. The sound system in webOS 2.1 is pretty damn messed up to begin with (I'm still looking into exactly what's screwed up), but Voice Dial blows very large chunks and kills the already flaky MediaServer.

What can you do? You can shake your fist in the direction of Palm headquarters, shout "Curse you Ruby!" and get rid of it. If you don't want to actually uninstall it (which I did), you can set it to not start at boot time and that should help things out (but obviously it won't work anymore - which is the point...):

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"enableVoiceCommand":false}'

M.
    malpha - my search-** sucks today. I went ahead and disabled voice dial with your command, but cannot find the bits you (I think) posted somewhere about uninstalling Voice Dial. ISTR it wasn't quite as simple as a single package uninstall....
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    WebOS internals says, and gives instructions, to install Ubuntu on windows as a dual boot and you can delete it if you dont need it anymore. Which way is easier?
    The correct question is: Which way will give you a pristine dotor that will work every time.

The answer: follow the WebOs Internals method.

I can only speak from experience:
    Sprint Pre (-)
    2.1 Meta using Linux Mint 10 (an ubuntu based distro)
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The correct question is: Which way will give you a pristine dotor that will work every time.

The answer: follow the WebOs Internals method.

I can only speak from experience:
    Sprint Pre (-)
    2.1 Meta using Linux Mint 10 (an ubuntu based distro)
    I will do that. Since Internals says to do the dual boot method, thats what I will do. Question about that. I have never ran Ubuntu on my PC or have even used Ubuntu. If I boot it on my PC, will I have to install the Palm Novacom on the Ubuntu side too or will it work since I have it installed on the computer already? Just reading over it and preparing myself before I do it.
    I will do that. Since Internals says to do the dual boot method, thats what I will do. Question about that. I have never ran Ubuntu on my PC or have even used Ubuntu. If I boot it on my PC, will I have to install the Palm Novacom on the Ubuntu side too or will it work since I have it installed on the computer already? Just reading over it and preparing myself before I do it.
    IIRC, you will have to re: d/l it.
    I ended up using an old win xp box and wiped it to install linux so I had to d/l the SDK.

Edit:
    BTW, malpha's two part tutorial (linked from the wiki) is excellent as well and very helpful.
    You only need a small novacom file for Ubuntu, there's no need to download the full SDK
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    You only need a small novacom file for Ubuntu, there's no need to download the full SDK
    Unless novaterm is needed at some point; otherwise yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Unless novaterm is needed at some point; otherwise yes.
    Really???

Contents:
    /.
    /opt
    /opt/Palm
    /opt/Palm/novacom
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacom
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novaterm
    /opt/Palm/novacom/scripts
    /opt/Palm/novacom/scripts/novacomd-conf
    /opt/Palm/novacom/scripts/novacomd-upstart
    /usr
    /usr/local
    /usr/local/bin
    /usr/local/bin/novacom
    /usr/local/bin/novaterm
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/palm-novacom
    /usr/share/doc/palm-novacom/changelog.gz

With the .deb file you get novacom and novaterm

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).

While I know there are other methods, step 1 from the most reputable source is by far the most direct method:

Accessing Linux Using Novaterm

If the intention is to get non-power users to read wikis and follow instructions et al., then going there is still the right call.

YMMV, past results do not indicate future returns yadda monkey rayon cocopuffs
    So, I'm trying to do this, install the meta-doctor. Thus far, I've successfully installed Ubuntu via the WUBI, and run the scripts up to the Java install. Here, I'm stuck. This is my first time using Linux, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

I enter the script to install Java from the Meta-Doctor wiki page. It starts, I get the y/n confirmation that it is going to install. Then, a window with the EULA for Java pops up. I scroll to the bottom where the little <OK> is. I've tried hitting enter, double clicking, highlighting and clicking, highlighting and enter... Nothing. It just sits there with the Java EULA, and says "Configuring sun-java6-jre". I cancelled it the first time, and figuring I must have screwed something up, I uninstalled the Ubuntu, downloaded a clean copy, and reinstalled. Same problem. This time, I left it alone, maybe it just needed time... The damn thing has been sitting on that EULA for over 2 hours now, with no progress I am able to determine or discern.

Help please? What am I doing wrong? I'd really really really love to get 2.1.0 on my Pre-.

Thanks in advance.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    I enter the script to install Java from the Meta-Doctor wiki page. It starts, I get the y/n confirmation that it is going to install. Then, a window with the EULA for Java pops up. I scroll to the bottom where the little <OK> is. I've tried hitting enter, double clicking, highlighting and clicking, highlighting and enter... Nothing. It just sits there with the Java EULA, and says "Configuring sun-java6-jre". I cancelled it the first time, and figuring I must have screwed something up, I uninstalled the Ubuntu, downloaded a clean copy, and reinstalled. Same problem. This time, I left it alone, maybe it just needed time... The damn thing has been sitting on that EULA for over 2 hours now, with no progress I am able to determine or discern.
    Sorry for the delay, my VirtualBox was acting funny :S

That's a terminal window with some text there, so, the mouse won't work for clicking the "OK" button.

You have to navigate with the keyboard. Use the Tab key to switch fields and the Enter key to "press" it.

In the first window, with the EULA, press tab once (OK should turn red) and Enter
    In the second window (yes, another one appears), Press tab once again (Yes should turn red) and Enter.

Welcome to Linux

OK, question the second.

Got everything installed. Meta-Doctor is running smoothly. The problem now is my Doctor. I start it, and it gets to the point where I'm supposed to plug my Pre in. I plug it in, and nothing. The next button never allows me to click it. I've tried putting the phone in recovery mode, and the Doctor still doesn't allow the next button.

What now?

Thanks again for the help.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    OK, question the second.

Got everything installed. Meta-Doctor is running smoothly. The problem now is my Doctor. I start it, and it gets to the point where I'm supposed to plug my Pre in. I plug it in, and nothing. The next button never allows me to click it. I've tried putting the phone in recovery mode, and the Doctor still doesn't allow the next button.

What now?

you need to install novacom. Or make sure its running
    I've already started the process and I am downloading the Dr's. Does this have to be done with Ubuntu 10.10 or can it also be done with 9.10? I just realised i have 9.10 installed from my pre plus on sprint conversion. In other words will there be any problems if I continue, like major bugs because of not having 10.10?

I just started the download of 10.10 but my connection speed with the Dr's downloading is showing me i wont have 10.10 for another 8 hours.
    Sprint Pre Plus - Black Silver White Theme 2.1 w/Sconix advanced patches, F102B & SWW
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    I've already started the process and I am downloading the Dr's. Does this have to be done with Ubuntu 10.10 or can it also be done with 9.10? I just realised i have 9.10 installed from my pre plus on sprint conversion. In other words will there be any problems if I continue, like major bugs because of not having 10.10?

I just started the download of 10.10 but my connection speed with the Dr's downloading is showing me i wont have 10.10 for another 8 hours.
    I did it on 10.04, shouldn't be a problem really. You don't always have to download the newest Ubuntu version, a lot of people don't and just stay on a release, esp if it's a LTS. I didn't even upgrade to Maverick, if I hadn't switched to LMDE, I wouldn't be upgrading in April either.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    OK, question the second.

What now?

Can you see anything on the console?
    It's better if you open a terminal window (cmd.exe) and run the Doctor from there, this way you can see if any errors pop up.
    As Janke said, you could need the novacom driver (altough it's supposed to come with the Doctor, but sometimes it fails to install). You can try this (PuffTheMagic's) or this (Jason Robittaile's).

Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post

Meta Doctor depends on a very little set of programs, any recent distribution should work (Yes, Ubuntu 9.x can work as well). Practically you only need a distribution with some uncompressing/compressing tools, java, and a filesystem that supports Unix-style permissions properly. Ubuntu 10.10 is recommended because it's the first option that the Ubuntu page shows to download, but it's not exclusive

Can you see anything on the console?
    It's better if you open a terminal window (cmd.exe) and run the Doctor from there, this way you can see if any errors pop up.
    As Janke said, you could need the novacom driver (altough it's supposed to come with the Doctor, but sometimes it fails to install). You can try this (PuffTheMagic's) or this (Jason Robittaile's).
    Hi NuttyBunny,

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say "console". If you mean the window for the Doctor, yes, I can see everything. The "next" button is greyed out, as it's not recognising my Pre. In the Terminal window under the Doctor, I can see tons and tons of text and code. I don't know what it all means, but I can tell enough to understand that it is telling me that nothing is going wrong, and that things are installing properly and without error.

I can't figure out how to run the Doctor in a Terminal window without it going through the Meta-Doctor process first. Can you give me directions on how to do that please? I'm still learning my way through Linux, but I'm computer literate.

I *THINK* the Novacom installed, but I'm not positive. My Ubuntu does this weird thing every time I try to install anything from the Software Centre. Asks for Authentication. I put my password in, and then it just sits with the Authentication window up for 5-10 minutes, then the window disappears, but nothing ever happens that I can see. Puff's Novacom Drivers are for Windows or Mac, and Jason Robittaile's are for all platforms. I have Jason's package downloaded, but can't for the life of me figure out how to install them to the Ubuntu. I'll need directions to install Jason's Novacom.

For what it's worth, I do have everything installed in my Windows, Novacom and all. I just have no idea how to do it all on Linux.

Thanks for all the help. Gotta say that I'm liking Ubuntu so far. I'm planning on keeping it on my system, and getting more familiar with it. It may even replace Windows if it serves everything I need it to do.
    Last edited by rykatemom; 04/20/2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Missed part of question!

~Kelly