Page 185 of 217 FirstFirst ... 85135175180181182183184185186187188189190195 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
  1. #3681  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Not so fast....

    Please, try to install Preware, then update the feeds.

    It should get stuck or throw an error on wget
    will do
  2.    #3682  
    Quote Originally Posted by setinhere View Post
    ok I've down graded to 1.4.5 and then I did a "make clobber" re-ran the meta-att-preplus-2.1.0 scripts.

    got the same errors at the end. phone still booted up just fine. I'm at a loss. I'm not a supper scripter and my programing skills are 10 years old. So the only thing I have to add is that I'm still not having any problems with using cygwin in windows. Other then those errors at the end of upgrading my preplus using the meta-doctor, I can still boot just fine with nothing wrong with my phone.

    Question Rod... Am I going to have to continue using that unmentionable procedure to use cygwin on windows every time you update the scripts?
    Until someone works out how to stop cygwin/windows introducing those errors into the build, yes.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3. #3683  
    So I'm just curious, has anyone found a way to get the unbootable Pre's to somehow work again? If not, is anyone trying? It shows the penguin, and even lights up the screen, so that has to count for something. [I've bricked my PSP more than once, and when that happens literally nothing happens when you power it on.] When I plug my bricked Pre to my Windows computer, it makes that noise you hear when a USB drive is detected. So my computer knows the Pre is there, but something is keeping me from Doctoring it to 1.4.5.

    The Pre was meant to be un-brickable, and suddenly there are quite a few bricks. I dunno, I guess I'm just frustrated that even after over 24 hours of trying to get my phone to boot up, it's done nothing but show me that penguin.

    I've got no coding experience at all, unfortunately. But I have no intention on letting this matter just go away.
  4.    #3684  
    Quote Originally Posted by krshgr View Post
    So I'm just curious, has anyone found a way to get the unbootable Pre's to somehow work again? If not, is anyone trying? It shows the penguin, and even lights up the screen, so that has to count for something. [I've bricked my PSP more than once, and when that happens literally nothing happens when you power it on.] When I plug my bricked Pre to my Windows computer, it makes that noise you hear when a USB drive is detected. So my computer knows the Pre is there, but something is keeping me from Doctoring it to 1.4.5.

    The Pre was meant to be un-brickable, and suddenly there are quite a few bricks. I dunno, I guess I'm just frustrated that even after over 24 hours of trying to get my phone to boot up, it's done nothing but show me that penguin.

    I've got no coding experience at all, unfortunately. But I have no intention on letting this matter just go away.
    None of them are bricks, they are just unbootable. I've been very careful to use the correct terminology, and others should too. No end-user device has ever been bricked by a WebOS Internals tool, or any homebrew of any kind for that matter.

    Put them into recovery mode and doctor as usual. Use Linux to create the metadoctor and re-doctor with that.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #3685  
    All right, not bricked. I guess I have no problems here, then. The reason my phone cannot be helped is because I can't get into Recovery Mode; the up-volume button on my phone broke a couple of months ago, and I've been using a volume patch to make up for it.

    Drats :\ I guess I have to temporarily switch to my dad's Centro before moving on from WebOS.

    E: My dad has a netbook at his work that is running Ubuntu, he said he'll bring it home tomorrow. Hopefully I can fix this, I really don't want to use that Centro...or leave WebOS.
    Last edited by krshgr; 04/12/2011 at 10:15 PM.
  6.    #3686  
    Quote Originally Posted by krshgr View Post
    All right, not bricked. I guess I have no problems here, then. The reason my phone cannot be helped is because I can't get into Recovery Mode; the up-volume button on my phone broke a couple of months ago, and I've been using a volume patch to make up for it.
    If you have a native Linux machine you can use the last resort usb load bootloader recovery method to get a phone with a broken volume key into recovery mode.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #3687  
    ok I did a log check on my system to see if anything has changed... the only thing that changed recently that I think that might interfere with with cygwin would be the kernal update that mircosoft gave all of us window user last month. Now this is just a hunch but I'm going to check it out to see if it might be what is causing all these problems. Of course I could be just barking up the wrong tree, who knows.. its something to do.

    Update: I was barking up the wrong tree.. bark bark...
    Last edited by setinhere; 04/12/2011 at 10:33 PM.
  8. #3688  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Not so fast....

    Please, try to install Preware, then update the feeds.

    It should get stuck or throw an error on wget
    ok I've finally got around to installing Preware, it installed fine, feeds updated with no errors. I've installed Govnah and Uberkernal (Pre/Pre+) to see if I could, both are running stable.
  9. #3689  
    Quote Originally Posted by setinhere View Post
    ok I've finally got around to installing Preware, it installed fine, feeds updated with no errors. I've installed Govnah and Uberkernal (Pre/Pre+) to see if I could, both are running stable.

    Did you do Step Six? The Homebrew Documentation is only 99 cents...


    M.
  10. #3690  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Did you do Step Six? The Homebrew Documentation is only 99 cents...


    M.
    yes I've donated

    just trying to find out what, if I can, is causing problems with cygwin and windows. so far I haven't been able to duplicate the problems, other the errors that people have been reporting at the end of the upgrade process, people are experiencing. I did have to reboot using the "orange+sym+R" keys after the errors stopped the meta-doctor from rebooting the phone automatically. Don't know if this is why I'm able to boot my phone into webOS 2.1.

    from 1.4.5
    upgraded 2.1, downgraded1.4.5, upgraded2.1... still boots

    from 1.4.5
    upgraded2.1, then reran 2.1.... still boots
    (all fresh builds)

    So I'm at a loss as to why people are reporting that they can't boot their phones after using cygwin in windows.
  11.    #3691  
    I'd focus on the errors during the build, not whether it boots or not. An error-free build always boots.

    -- Rod
  12. #3692  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Until someone works out how to stop cygwin/windows introducing those errors into the build, yes.

    -- Rod
    I've come to the sad conclusion that I will not be able to use the WUBI. My computer is 1. to old to be supported. 2. Because of the age and motherboard, my SATA HD acts like a RAID. Both are unsupported in WUBI.

    I never was able to get Virtualbox w/ Ubuntu to work either. couldn't get the meta-doctor file out of it to actually run it on my phone. So I most certainly will continue trying to find out why cygwin on windows is getting these errors, cause I have no other avenue to go in order to get 2.1 on my preplus hopefully with the blessing of ATT one of these days.
  13.    #3693  
    Excellent - there's nothing more powerful than a personal incentive

    -- Rod
  14. #3694  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I'd focus on the errors during the build, not whether it boots or not. An error-free build always boots.

    -- Rod
    I've been using Process Monitor to see if anything is interfering with each build. so far nothing has shown up.

    I've told my virus program to completely ignore the cygwin directory, along with anything to do with java. I've killed all unimportant processes to minimize possible interference.

    So far the same errors keep coming up. I've build 5 2.1 meta-doctors in the last 12 hours. I'll keep looking.
  15. #3695  
    Quote Originally Posted by setinhere View Post
    yes I've donated
    I meant it more can you purchase an app from the Catalog? That will indicate a true change over. I should've been more specific.

    In reference to your follow up post to Rod, there is (almost) no such thing as a computer to old to run Linux. As long as it's an 80387 (a 386 with the math co-processor), Linux will run on it. You don't need ANY graphical environment to do this stuff. It's all CLI only. Keep in mind also that Linux runs most of the Internet, on heavy-duty server class machines; Linux loves RAID.


    M.


    M.
  16. #3696  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I meant it more can you purchase an app from the Catalog? That will indicate a true change over. I should've been more specific.

    In reference to your follow up post to Rod, there is (almost) no such thing as a computer to old to run Linux. As long as it's an 80387 (a 386 with the math co-processor), Linux will run on it. You don't need ANY graphical environment to do this stuff. It's all CLI only. Keep in mind also that Linux runs most of the Internet, on heavy-duty server class machines; Linux loves RAID.


    M.


    M.
    yes I purchase a couple of apps to test that out, sorry I didn't make myself clearer... kind of tired, stayed up all night troubleshooting the problem, 6:02 am at the moment on my side of the world.

    That is another reason I've been up all night, I was also troubleshooting the reason that WUBI will not work on my system. I get some kind of panic message when I tried. I uninstalled then reinstalled to no avail. I then read something in the troubleshooting wiki that it is not supported on RAID systems. Well guess what lol, my system being first gen SATA thinks it is a RAID system. A software RAID system to boot. lol. no go on WUBI. Also I crashed my spanned drives when I was messing around with WUBI and lost a bunch of stuff that I'll have to wait to get from backup until I figured out what I did and get my spanned drives working again.
    Last edited by setinhere; 04/13/2011 at 08:07 AM.
  17. #3697  
    don't know if might be important but I'm getting a bunch of buffer overflow errors in process monitor while creating the meta-doctor. I can upload the log file, its really big, if anyone is interested.
  18. #3698  
    Quote Originally Posted by setinhere View Post
    I did have to reboot using the "orange+sym+R" keys after the errors stopped the meta-doctor from rebooting the phone automatically.
    So this seems to be a fairly simple workaround to the cygwin/windows issue. I didn't try this one, just used the previously produced older custom doctor.

    Real life work will be finished pretty soon, need some time to get home, will be back later.

    Kind regards

    Carsten
  19. elopez's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #3699  
    somewhere i saw a guy offering to upgrade phones for $10. people having issues should consider shipping their phones to that dude.
  20. the13th's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #3700  
    I just took the plunge and installed 2.1 using ubuntu. Everything's working great. However my contacts did not transfer over and my preware didn't install. Can someone offer any help as to what went wrong?

Posting Permissions