Page 183 of 217 FirstFirst ... 83133173178179180181182183184185186187188193 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    what exactly is the problem with the cygwin method? It worked fine for me.

I have to reinstall 2.1 on my refurb device, will let you guys know if I go 2 for 2.
    The problem is that it's not working anymore for some people. So, if you want cygwin, go ahead, but if it doesn't work, don't spend time trying to troubleshoot and give Linux a chance
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    will do.

I hope cygwin works again though, it was (relatively) painless.
    I am having issues signing in to my palm profile. My phone activates just fine, but I cant sign into my existing palm profile or create a new one for that matter. I am using a sprint pre. Any ideas?

The OS installed just fine and I rebooted into the system with the new HP logo and everything, just cant get past this one part :/

I was able to go back to 1.4.5 and activate/sign in just fine. Not sure what the deal is. I disabled backups and deleted the data as per the wiki.
    Hey! So I attached a copy of the meta-doctor log. It said that the flash failed.

Can someone please help. Thanks!! I have a palm pre plus on Verizon
    Attached Files Attached Files
    So I just spent about 3 hours getting ready to get this working for my Pre Minus on Sprint. I looked at every little detail and as far as I can tell, I've done nothing wrong. The Doctor got to about 85% then said my phone could not be reset. I've done this twice, but the second time something went horribly wrong it seems.

Now I've got what appears to be a bricked Pre that can't go farther than the boot screen. I've tried restarting it, doing that thing by holding the up volume button...nothing works.

I don't know what I've done wrong either time. My dad's an extremely tech-savvy guy, especially with Linux and that sort of thing (and that program...gywin or something). He watched me, checked over everything, and said there's no reason it shouldn't have worked.

Obviously I'm not going to try to reset to 2.1 again, but at this point I just want to Doctor it to 1.4.5. I don't have any logs or anything because honestly I thought this would work out perfectly, so everything's already gone.

E: I doubt this is anything that has to do with it, but the boot icon is also the WebOS Internals logo. I'm assuming that is to show support for it, but it doesn't flash or anything when I try to boot it.
    Quote Originally Posted by krshgr View Post
    So I just spent about 3 hours getting ready to get this working for my Pre Minus on Sprint. I looked at every little detail and as far as I can tell, I've done nothing wrong. The Doctor got to about 85% then said my phone could not be reset. I've done this twice, but the second time something went horribly wrong it seems.

Now I've got what appears to be a bricked Pre that can't go farther than the boot screen. I've tried restarting it, doing that thing by holding the up volume button...nothing works.

I don't know what I've done wrong either time. My dad's an extremely tech-savvy guy, especially with Linux and that sort of thing (and that program...gywin or something). He watched me, checked over everything, and said there's no reason it shouldn't have worked.

Obviously I'm not going to try to reset to 2.1 again, but at this point I just want to Doctor it to 1.4.5. I don't have any logs or anything because honestly I thought this would work out perfectly, so everything's already gone.

E: I doubt this is anything that has to do with it, but the boot icon is also the WebOS Internals logo. I'm assuming that is to show support for it, but it doesn't flash or anything when I try to boot it.
    Don't worry, Cygwin seems to be flaky at the moment, we still don't know that happened. In the meantime you can try using a Linux distribution, I'd recommend Ubuntu, using the WUBI install (it will appear like a Windows program and can be uninstalled as easy).

Good luck

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    I've bricked 2 Pre's now following the instructions. Works until the high 80/low 90 % and then eroors out. Both phone are now cute penguin flashlights....
    Quote Originally Posted by meatpuppet View Post
    I've bricked 2 Pre's now following the instructions. Works until the high 80/low 90 % and then eroors out. Both phone are now cute penguin flashlights....
    Yes! This is exactly what's wrong with mine. I get this feeling that our phones are totally screwed. Of course that is what brick basically means lol
  9.    #3649  
    Windows has screwed your phones. Use Linux for MetaDoctor and it will work fine.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ok guys, relax. First of all, the Pre's are almost unbrickable devices.
    Second, you're using Cygwin much against everyone's advice. Please try to create the meta doctor with Linux or MacOS.

There has been some problems with Cygwin recently, and we don't know why is that, so in the meantime we're recommending to stay away from the beast that is windows and use Linux or MacOS to create your Doctors

(please, note the lack of capitalization on the microsoft's brand to show my lack of respect for them)

hehehe

No, really, try it with Linux.

11.    #3651  
    Cygwin on Windows is no longer a supported MetaDoctor option. The official Wiki pages now require you to use WUBI on Windows and follow the Linux instructions after that.

The option for using Cygwin on Windows will not be reinstated. We've wasted too much time on it already.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I don't understand any of this. I followed the cygwin instructions 2 weeks ago on a win 7 netbook and everything went off fine. And believe me, though I thought I was tech savvy, following those instructions was like studying the Krebs Cycle all over again. But I passed organic and biochem just fine and thankfully the cygwin method worked just fine.

so what has happened with the cygwin method since? Did something change with the meta-doctors, cygwin, or windows? I have to re-install 2.1 on a refurb device (missed the fedex delivery) and I guess I'll try the wubi method now...
  13.    #3653  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I don't understand any of this. I followed the cygwin instructions 2 weeks ago on a win 7 netbook and everything went off fine. And believe me, though I thought I was tech savvy, following those instructions was like studying the Krebs Cycle all over again. But I passed organic and biochem just fine and thankfully the cygwin method worked just fine.

so what has happened with the cygwin method since? Did something change with the meta-doctors, cygwin, or windows? I have to re-install 2.1 on a refurb device (missed the fedex delivery) and I guess I'll try the wubi method now...
    The meta-doctor didn't change. So something in windows or cygwin did. You can see the increasing numbers of people reporting problems over the last couple of weeks.

This is causing folks to have unbootable phones. That is simply not acceptable.

I warned that if no windows folks stepped up to diagnose the problem and fix it, then the cygwin option would be removed. No-one stepped up, so out it goes.

I would rather have someone unable to convert their phone from 1.4.5 to 2.1.0 than to have an unbootable phone due to using a WebOS Internals tool. So I had to act.

It is done.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is done.

-- Rod
    Besides, more than one will like the Linux experience and might use it for more than just the Doctor
    The meta-doctor didn't change. So something in windows or cygwin did. You can see the increasing numbers of people reporting problems over the last couple of weeks.
    Sorry Rod, but I think your conclusion is invalid.

I definitely know that neither my Windows XP installation, nor my cygwin installation did change in the meanwhile. But your scripts did, and the resulting webos doctor did. The currently built doctors cannot succesfully be transferred to the webos devices by the means of windows/cygwin. This is true for the linux built doctors as well. But the formerly built doctors still can be tranferred via windows. Smoothly. Without any issues. Period.

So from my point of view, neither windows, nor cygwin can be blamed for this issue. To me, the current doctor building process creates windows incompatible doctors. And this seems to be something that should be worked on.

Anyway, this opinion of mine is not intended to detract from your merits for homebrew development. It's just incredible how you and the whole community are improving the webos experience. Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Carsten
  16.    #3656  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZehHa View Post
    Sorry Rod, but I think your conclusion is invalid.

I definitely know that neither my Windows XP installation, nor my cygwin installation did change in the meanwhile. But your scripts did, and the resulting webos doctor did. The currently built doctors cannot succesfully be transferred to the webos devices by the means of windows/cygwin. This is true for the linux built doctors as well. But the formerly built doctors still can be tranferred via windows. Smoothly. Without any issues. Period.
    We need to distinguish the two groups of windows-related issues that are present at the moment.

The first group of issues relate to connecting to the device from windows. Those are not related to this decision.

The second group of issues are related to the file verification failures. That is a build-time problem, not a run-time problem. It is caused during the building of the doctor. Linux builds continue to work fine, Cygwin on Windows builds do not. Doesn't matter what OS you use to run the doctor, the result is the same.

Unfortunately, most windows users tend to double-click on the doctor, so the don't see the copious amounts of useful information that is output when you run it, which pinpoints exactly what group each failure falls into.

But if you wish to be the one who steps up to prove my conclusions wrong (since we have limited diagnostic information from the windows users on which we have based those conclusions), and diagnose and fix the issue permanently for windows users, I will not deflect you from that endeavour. I've been asking for such a person to step up for some time now, and if someone had done so then the decision to disable Cygwin would not have been taken.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 04/12/2011 at 02:41 AM.
    Sadly, my programming skills are not cultivated to an extent that I can call myself a developer. In real life I am working as a seniour house resident in internal medicine.

But I will gladly help finding any errors.

Linux builds continue to work fine, Cygwin on Windows builds do not.
    This is what I did yesterday: Started my OpenSuse linux installation and ran the current meta-doctor script for O2-Pre "./scripts/meta-o2-pre-2.1.0". The doctor was produced with no obvious errors (but I can't provide you with the screen dump at the moment - sitting in the hospital, not at home). Because I could not get novacom to run with OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit (SebastinHa said I need the 11.1 libusb library - no time to install this yet), I tried to flash the doctor using windows XP. I got the same erroneous behavio(u)r as posted several times before. The Pre didn't reset. This time I was using a doctor which was built in the linux environment. To get a full functional Pre, I used the previously built doctor (form 2/2011) which could be flashed flawlessly. Using windows.

So from my point of view, we have to search, find, and kill at least one building time bug.

Kind regards

Carsten
    Last edited by ZehHa; 04/12/2011 at 01:52 PM.
  18.    #3658  
    Sadly, my programming skills are not cultivated to an extend that I can call myself a developer. In real life I am working as a seniour house resident in internal medicine.

But I will gladly help finding any errors.

This is what I did yesterdays: Started my OpenSuse linux installation and ran the current meta-doctor script for O2-Pre "./scripts/meta-o2-pre-2.1.0". The doctor was produced with no obvious errors (but I can't provide you with the screen dump at the moment - sitting in the hospital, not at home). Because I could not get novacom to run with OpenSuse 11.4 64 bit (SebastinHa said I need the 11.1 libusb library - no time to install this yet). So I tried to flash the doctor using windows XP. I got the same erroneous behavio(u)r as posted several times before. The Pre didn't reset. This time I was using a doctor which was built in the linux environment. To get a full functional Pre, I used the previously built doctor (form 2/2011) which could be flashed flawlessly. Using windows.

So from my point of view, we have to search, find, and kill at least one building time bug.
    Either that, or something in OpenSuse has changed in the same way that Cygwin has.

But yes, we need to diagnose these things. But in the meantime, people using Cygwin get unbootable phones, people using Ubuntu do not. Unbootable phones are not an acceptable outcome, so the ability to create such is now removed from the end-user. Developers such as yourself should continue to diagnose why ...

-- Rod
    Just an idea that cought my mind during lunch break: My Linux meta-doctor was working on a windows partition. Maybe it's a Linux/Windows file attribute issue. Will climb deeper into those sparsely illuminated caves tomorrow, trying to decipher some of the strange wall paintings.

Developers such as yourself
    No, I'm not.

Kind regards

Carsten
  20.    #3660  
    Just an idea that cought my mind during lunch break: My Linux meta-doctor was working on a windows partition. Maybe it's a Linux/Windows file attribute issue. Will climb deeper into those sparsely illuminated caves tomorrow, trying to decipher some of the strange wall paintings.
    Indeed, building the meta-doctor on a filesystem that does not support symlinks is fraught with breakage.

-- Rod