Page 180 of 217 FirstFirst ... 80130170175176177178179180181182183184185190 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,600 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    I think the people that are getting the errors could help themselves and us by doing some testing.

I've been an IT Admin since late '96 (just a fact - not "boasting") in mostly Windows based Networks. After thinking for several thousand Users in any walk of life you can think up, this is exactly why my phone rings 90%+ of the time. They DO NOT help themselves. They DO NOT read what's on the screen in front of them. And they most certainly DO NOT even think to run it through a search engine to try and educate themselves.

I'm speaking in umbrella terms here, but after 14.5 years, and several thousand Users, this is my experience. It is being shown to be pretty accurate, looking at this thread the past couple weeks.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I've been an IT Admin since late '96 (just a fact - not "boasting") in mostly Windows based Networks. After thinking for several thousand Users in any walk of life you can think up, this is exactly why my phone rings 90%+ of the time. They DO NOT help themselves. They DO NOT read what's on the screen in front of them. And they most certainly DO NOT even think to run it through a search engine to try and educate themselves.

I'm speaking in umbrella terms here, but after 14.5 years, and several thousand Users, this is my experience. It is being shown to be pretty accurate, looking at this thread the past couple weeks.

M.
    Agreed with this post & life in general. People always say "i dont know to...". Well I didnt know how to do a lot of stuff either until I read up and tried it. I went into this knowing I had to read up and learn and I try to help myself, but some things are just above my knowledge but I try to research it the best I can. I never used Linux and installed Ubuntu on a dualboot laptop & have been having fun teaching myself new things.
    It is specifically because I have a Pre that I finally installed linux on an older, unused XP box (about 3 months prior to the 2.1 meta-doctor wave). I chose Linux Mint as my distro (which is based on Ubuntu anyway) and have enjoyed the experience.

If you have the time to meta then doctor your phone; you have the time to 'google" some background info and help make the whole experience more positive for all parties.

- T
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmy2 View Post
    so what exactly did you use a virtual machine or wubi or what?
    I actually have two machines that only have linux distros. The one I used was linux Mint. My other is Ubuntu, but it's a really crippled PC (so I didn't bother). Mint is bare bones & constructed for what a netbook can handle, so it was and is lightning quick, even on an underpowered PC. It's simple to set up and the guys in charge here are spot on in advocating not wasting time on Win7. However, for those that do have it working in Win7, that's obviously not the case.

I forget how large the partition needs to be, but if you have massive amounts of storage, just steal some of the partition & toy around. Like I said, Mint is not a huge package. It's highly addictive, relatively easy to use if you don't mind reading. Obviously, I'm not an expert & I have a lot of late nights stumbling around research & asking dumb questions, but it hurts so good. Hah.

Sorry, long winded & taking up space. Ubuntu is obviously going to yield the most info/documentation/support if you plan on a full install. Regardless, Mint worked for me & if you go that route, I'm happy to help where possible, but will always yield to the true experts in the room. Like mentioned in the thread had I remembered to install & run novacom on that OS, it would have taken me one try. Also, sorry I can't help on the virtual stuff, I'm just not familiar with it.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    what are the chances we'll (preħ) be able to doctor to webos 3.0 in the future?

M.
    I agree that it seems that many are skipping the front page disclaimer, which is amazingly obvious. However when people are legitimately stuck & have spent full days, weeks, & nights trying to find answers to various issues (to which I solved most on my own), there are going to be stupid & obvious questions (mine included). Being an analyst & report builder, I can assure you that it's human nature for users to over-complicate simple tasks. We all have different tolerance levels for it, but it's inevitable.

It's also important not to forget that the search function is a HUGE enemy of front page disclaimers. People search for specific problems, to which a search may yield the mid or latter portion of a thread, or even yield obsolete answers (enter the importance of the wiki). The weeds you can get into can be extremely deep. I will not excuse anyone doing THIS, as they should have read the beginning of the thread before they even decided to take this project on...but that's not my point.

Let's also not discount the over availability of information, which is why I appreciate the wiki approach. I won't list all of the sites, forums, searches, etc. that I did to try and solve one of the simplest issues of all, but it happens & the community should expect that. My simple oversight can be the simple oversight of 100 more people, and by answering questions like those, many others can solve the d'oh moment on their own. It SAVES time in the end. Again, you helped me, so I'm just speaking in general terms on the issue you broached.

I think it is dangerous to cast an umbrella and assume that all stupid questions are linked to an individual not willing to help themselves. These types of efforts are like sudoku puzzles that seem easy until you've made your first mistake & failed to notice it until you're down to the last couple of numbers. And if you're on your 3rd, 4th, 5th try, they all start to feel the same & create increasing confusion. Such is the case with this. It's going to happen.

Zero tolerance on what info is needed is clearly stated, and I as well as others can't thank you guys enough for the help....just please don't always assume that someone isn't willing to help themselves until they've proven that without a doubt. This dwindling community needs to stick together.

Anyway, thanks again. My FrankenPre was a success & you helped me figure out the 'wrong number' in the exhaustively drawn out sudoku I was trying to solve. I couldn't be happier & will continue to support Internals. Cheers.
    Just a quick observation, at almost 200,000 views, the close to 4000 replies seems to indicate that a vast majority 'view' vs. post. I am sure there are relevant classes of viewers to omit, but I issue the actual numbers as proof that the majority are doing some if not most of their homework. Cynics beware!
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    I am using Windows 7 ultimate 64 with uac set to very low. avg free anti virus with windows firewall off. i followed all the instructions on the wiki for cygwin a few weeks ago and again last week to rebuild another dr. both builds were created and flashed perfectly. did you run the script that ensures you included all of the neccesary pieces needed to correctly build the dr. on the meta dr wiki? if you built a bad dr did you completely delete the meta dr folder and start over? i always made sure to do that before rebuilding.
    The MetaDoctor scripts will automatically download the latest necessary webOS doctors, extract and replace CDMA radio firmware as necessary, and will build and launch the modified webOS Doctor.

A NOTE ON "RE-DOCTORING": From the command line (I use Cygwin), type "cd meta-doctor" without the quotes and press enter. Then type "git pull" without the quotes and press enter. Then type "make clobber" without the quotes and press enter. Voila! You now have the latest scripts and a clean folder to build your doctor in.

are you talking about step 3?
    if you are i have done it all the time.
    Ok, I've spent at least an hour trying to troubleshoot the cygwin issues. The 2.1 meta-doctor works fine for me as a user (administrator) on my Vista machine. I created a regular user and tried to run it under that account and got permission errors, both with UAC on and UAC off. Then I made that user a local admin and it still wouldn't work.

Then I started looking at the sercurity permissions of the folders that were being created with the meta-doctor in cygwin and realized that the permissions were all screwed up. For example, when the build folder was created, it would not assign full permissions to the user I was using. I tried re-setting the permissions and even replacing the permissions on the child objects, but they wouldn't stick when the meta-doctor ran. I also kept seeing the error when the looking at the security, " The permissions on downloads are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some entries to be ineffective."

So, I can't figure out why I works for my my regular user account, but won't work for an added user, even when that user is admin and even when I run cygwin.bat as an administrator. It appears that I am getting the same permission errors as some people in this thread. So, unfortunately, I don't have any solutions, but maybe someone else can help figure this out.

Of course, using Linux is always a good option, but if cygwin will work, it works good.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    So, I can't figure out why I works for my my regular user account, but won't work for an added user, even when that user is admin and even when I run cygwin.bat as an administrator.

Where in the Windows file system does cygwin create all this by default? It is right off the root of C:\ or is it in your home directory?

Next time someone tries a fresh attempt with cygwin, cd to your Windows home dir, or something like your Desktop directory would be better, and clone git and all that from there. Don't elevate to Admin. Just run as yourself. Iz gots another ideaz how to get around Windows' idiocy.

The root dir is a special dir that does indeed have funky permissions (no matter what that permissions dialog says...), and things don't inherit properly. Running in your home dir, again right in your desktop folder would be best (or even %TEMP% is another good one), should get around a lot of this nonsense.

M.
    Where in the Windows file system does cygwin create all this by default? It is right off the root of C:\ or is it in your home directory?

M.
    Yeah, it's in the root of C: (C:\cygwin). I think that is the default location when you install it. Not sure if their is an option to install somewhere else. If I get a chance, I will try it and see, but it won't be today.
    Mine is in the c:\ and it always worked.
    Mine is in the c:\ and it always worked.

Why are you always trying to rain on my parade?!?

M.
    Sorry!!! just trying to help. I am def an admin on my system though. i will check my permissions in that folder later when i get a chance and report that.
    Sorry!!! just trying to help. I am def an admin on my system though. i will check my permissions in that folder later when i get a chance and report that.

I know, I'm just having fun.

It'd be interesting to see what's different about your permission from others. Maybe you checked the "propagate changes through all folders" (or whatever it says).

M.
    yeah. if you cant have fun here were can you. ltm ltm. ill let you know. if not tonite, tomorrow morning. been a long week at work need a drink or 10 tonite.
    yeah. if you cant have fun here were can you. ltm ltm. ill let you know. if not tonite, tomorrow morning. been a long week at work need a drink or 10 tonite.

That's OK, I'm camping with the Scouts this weekend. I can't do much debugging in the woods!

M.
    hi guys, im having a little problem with virtual box and Ubuntu.

I have everything done perfectly now the webdos doctor appeared on its own with virtual box and Ubuntu but when connect the palm to the pc I cant press next?
    just need to know where do i go, because it say click on setting on virtual box? or i have to redo the whole process?

steps 3did not work
    OK i looked at my permissions for the cygwin folder and is says special permission. then when i go and check what exactly makes it special it shows to allow ever option possible in the permissions menu. i would imagine that is why i have never had any problems. This is the permissions for my user name however i am the only user on this computer.
    I may have a new problem, while using VBVBVB $the$ $doctor$ $ask$ $to$ $connect$ $the$ $palm$ $to$ $the$ $pc$, $I$ $did$ $that$ $and$ $it$ $started$ $to$ $doctor$ $the$ $phone$ $while$ $at$ $3$ $percent$ $the$ $pc$ $said$ $installing$ $usb$ $to$ $virtual$ $box$ $while$ $doing$ $that$ $it$ $disconnected$ $the$ $palm$ $and$ $it$ $ask$ $now$ $the$ $phone$ $has$ $been$ $disconnected$ $try$ $again$? $now$ $im$ $stuck$ $at$ $the$ $window$ $click$ $next$.
    what would be the best solution to not have the device disconnect again?
    i will try power off and volume up or remove the battery while connected to the pc.