Page 175 of 217 FirstFirst ... 75125165170171172173174175176177178179180185 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPre-1983 View Post
    I will say that if you can read the wiki's and follow directions very good then it is so much easier to use linux software to do this. I used ubuntu with the dual boot mode using wubi. And it was so much simpler using that then windows. I just find windows to mess things up more than it does make things easier. I'll be using ubuntu from now on with anything involving webos. Thanks you again Rod you are truelly a good man to help us out all the time. I know it has to get frustrating.

Tony
    Which ubuntu did you use, the desktop edition or the desktop edition windows installer? I tried following the desktop edition directions as it said this was the way to try it out before installing it; I could not get the 32 or 64 .iso image file to burn to disk ("the selected image file isn't valid"). Will I need to just suck it up and install it vs run it from a disk? Thanks.
    As a part of updating, i want to change my compcache to 32mb permanently. I just installed the 2.1 SDK and Novaterm is not available. I tried to modify in hopes it would download, but nothing. As far as i can tell, using Novaterm is the easiest way to do this. If you can tell my why it's failing to download, another program that will work to change the compcache, or another thread that may explain my issue(i have searched), I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Running Win 7 x64
    Sprint Pre minus
    OS 2.1
    Novacom is there and running correctly in device manager
    Palm Pre Legacy WebOS 2.1
    http://www.prethemer.com/profile/holley2583/themes, Checkum' Out!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'm afraid I'm stuck at a spot where the wiki just isn't clear enough to me (which could very well mean I've screwed something up).

I have a Bell Pre, and I successfully used the meta-doctor with the Bell script in Ubuntu 10.10. Without erasing my Palm Profile (I did not turn backups off), I successfully doctored my phone, and it's starting up in webOS 2.1.

But now I'm logging in to my Palm Profile, and I'm getting a "Data Not Restored" response. This seems to match the following situation listed in the wiki:

You may get lucky if your Profile has information and you managed to pass the "Logging to Profile" screen but are stuck with a message stating that the phone cannot restore your data. If you have developer mode enabled, enter your Pre and overwrite the /etc/palm-build-info file with the palm-build-info-masq file the Doctor generated. Reboot your Pre and see if it manages to boot succesfully.
    I can not, for the life of me, find the "palm-build-info-masq" file. I'm assuming it should be somewhere on my hard disk, where all of the build files are from meta-doctor, but all I find are "palm-build-info" files for each webOS Doctor version. Extensive file searches have turned up nothing.

As an aside, my Palm Profile (on Palm's website) says I'm still on webOS 1.4.5; nothing there has changed. I figure I'll probably need to redoctor back to 1.4.5, erase my profile, then try 2.1 again... but I was just wanting to clarify this point in the wiki before doing so.
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
  4.    #3484  
    Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    I'm afraid I'm stuck at a spot where the wiki just isn't clear enough to me (which could very well mean I've screwed something up).

I have a Bell Pre, and I successfully used the meta-doctor with the Bell script in Ubuntu 10.10. Without erasing my Palm Profile (I did not turn backups off), I successfully doctored my phone, and it's starting up in webOS 2.1.

But now I'm logging in to my Palm Profile, and I'm getting a "Data Not Restored" response. This seems to match the following situation listed in the wiki:

I can not, for the life of me, find the "palm-build-info-masq" file. I'm assuming it should be somewhere on my hard disk, where all of the build files are from meta-doctor, but all I find are "palm-build-info" files for each webOS Doctor version. Extensive file searches have turned up nothing.

As an aside, my Palm Profile (on Palm's website) says I'm still on webOS 1.4.5; nothing there has changed. I figure I'll probably need to redoctor back to 1.4.5, erase my profile, then try 2.1 again... but I was just wanting to clarify this point in the wiki before doing so.
    Yes, there is no masq file anymore - that bit should be removed from the Wiki as a possible solution. You will need to doctor back to 1.4.5, turn off the backup and erase the profile data, then start again on 2.1 ...

-- Rod
    Hi rod do you think the problem im having is because i did an update already to 1.4.5 from the 1.3 version i think might be the root of it?
    is there a way i can go back and just install everythng from scratch??

because when it was downloading the jar file it kept going to bell network.

i will post 2 log later that i have save.

tks sorry for the hassle,
    For the record I have not done this conversion. I have kept up with the info here however. I think that losing cygwin would be a shame and asking that anyone using cygwin read the entire thread is silly. 177 pages of posts is not digestable.

If you want to help; collect the cygwin info together and provide good advice to newbies - even if not the form of step1,2,3. Once enough knowledge exists people can refine this. I think it may be worth forking things and having a separate thread for just cygwin process and results. Even with multiple versions of windows and multiple permission schemes there are still a finite number and seems like a chart of OS (XP, Vista, Win7, etc.) with Cygwin process could be made along with any steps needed to provide that step1,2,3 clarity. Rod isn't going to lead that charge because he's more Linux centric - so those of you who benefit from Cygwin and this process need to step up if you can and provide clear info so that this can be distilled into something easier to digest than 177 pages.

Just my 2 cents worth...

hey where are you in canada? I have been trying to install the 2.1 for the past couple of days and so far failed.

last night i erase everything and started all over.
    I didnt get a build folder but just a download folder in my meta folder but when i click on the bell mo2.1.0 jar file it didnt let me open the doctor??

when you did the process did it also download the verizon 2.1 for you?
    cuz it keep downloading it for mine.even when i put the .script from bell.

stupid bell I hate them they never gice us good update for our cell.
    Last edited by flipmode007; 04/05/2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: proof reading
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Find it yet? Did you use Cygwin? Ubuntu? Something else?
    Yes, I found it. I used Cygwin. It was like 5 folder deep inside the Cygwin folder. Thanks for getting back to me.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flipmode007 View Post
    hey where are you in canada? I have been trying to install the 2.1 for the past couple of days and so far failed.

last night i erase everything and started all over.
    I didnt get a build folder but just a download folder in my meta folder but when i click on the bell mo2.1.0 jar file it didnt let me open the doctor??

when you did the process did it also download the verizon 2.1 for you?
    cuz it keep downloading it for mine.even when i put the .script from bell.

stupid bell I hate them they never gice us good update for our cell.
    I'm in Toronto, and agree wholeheartedly about Bell. I was really hoping HP/Palm would include AWS frequencies on new devices, but no such luck -- they'll only work with Bell, Rogers, or Telus. I'm not sure if I'm willing to go back to Rogers if I want a Pre3.

Anyways, I tried both cygwin and Ubuntu methods, but the cygwin method led to a phone that wouldn't boot. But in both cases, the process was identical. It sounds like you used git successfully (to get a "meta-doctor" folder), and then you created your "downloads" folder inside that.

Since you can't find the "build" folder, I'm wondering if you were in the right place when you started the script. You have to be in the "meta-doctor" folder, and then start the Bell script from there. The command is listed in the wiki (it's "./scripts/meta-bellmo-...") -- it's important to start the command with the period followed by the "scripts" folder.

The script should download three doctors into the "downloads" folder: webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.4.5.jar, webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar, and webosdoctorp102verizonwireless-2.0.1.jar. It will then expand them into three folders inside the "builds" folder: pre-p100eww-bellmo-1.4.5, preplus-p101ueu-wr-2.1.0, and pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.0.1. Finally, a fourth folder will be created in "builds" to contain the final meta-doctor files: meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0.

When the whole script is finished (and this is where the new meta-doctor jar should automatically open up in Java), you should have a new file in "builds/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0": webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar. That's the jar file which will doctor your phone to 2.1.0.

(Apologies to the mods if I'm not supposed to be providing this kind of support here!)
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    ok guys here is my first log from last night

Copying skeleton files.
    These files are for the users to personalise their cygwin experience.
    They will never be overwritten nor automatically updated.
    `./.bashrc' -> `/home/Tupac//.bashrc'
    `./.bash_profile' -> `/home/Tupac//.bash_profile'
    `./.inputrc' -> `/home/Tupac//.inputrc'
    `./.profile' -> `/home/Tupac//.profile'
    Tupac@Tupac-pc ~
    $ git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    Cloning into meta-doctor...
    remote: Counting objects: 1117, done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1092/1092), done.
    remote: Total 1117 (delta 713), reused 0 (delta 0)
    Receiving objects: 100% (1117/1117), 171.01 KiB | 158 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (713/713), done.
    Tupac@Tupac-pc ~
    $ cd meta-doctor
    Tupac@Tupac-pc ~/meta-doctor
    $ mkdir downloads
    $ ./scripts/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0
    DEVICE = preplus
    CARRIER = wr
    VERSION = 2.1.0
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO = palm-build-info
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_DMSET = 393
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_DMSET = 398
    CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST = P100EWW
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST = bell
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga
    Your custom doctor file will be created at build/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0/webosdoct
    orp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar
    --2011-04-05 01:21:46-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p145r0d07142010/b11e
    p145rod/webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)... 66.114.53.22, 66.114.53.28
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)|66.114.53.22|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 211734792 (202M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.4.5.jar'
    99% [=====================================> ] 211,734,6
    32 --.-K/s eta 0s
    now here is the second log after the first attempt failed

Copying skeleton files.
    These files are for the users to personalise their cygwin experience.

They will never be overwritten nor automatically updated.

`./.bashrc' -> `/home/Tupac//.bashrc'
    `./.bash_profile' -> `/home/Tupac//.bash_profile'
    `./.inputrc' -> `/home/Tupac//.inputrc'
    `./.profile' -> `/home/Tupac//.profile'

Tupac@Tupac-pc ~
    bash: ./scripts/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0: No such file or directory

Tupac@Tupac-pc ~
    $ git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    Cloning into meta-doctor...
    remote: Counting objects: 1117, done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1092/1092), done.
    remote: Total 1117 (delta 713), reused 0 (delta 0)
    Receiving objects: 100% (1117/1117), 170.50 KiB | 78 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (713/713), done.

Tupac@Tupac-pc ~
    $ cd meta-doctor

$ mkdir downloads

DEVICE = preplus
    CARRIER = wr
    VERSION = 2.1.0
    ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE = 1
    DISABLE_UPLOAD_DAEMON = 1
    DISABLE_UPDATE_DAEMON = 1
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL = webOS.tar
    CUSTOM_BUILD_INFO = palm-build-info
    CUSTOM_WEBOS_DMSET = 393
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_DMSET = 398
    CUSTOM_MODEL_LIST = P100EWW
    CUSTOM_CARRIER_LIST = bell
    CUSTOM_BOOTLOGO = scripts/WebOS-Internals.tga

Your custom doctor file will be created at build/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0/webosdoct
    orp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar

--2011-04-05 02:05:45-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p145r0d07142010/b11e
    p145rod/webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)... 66.114.53.49, 66.114.53.5
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)|66.114.53.49|:80... conn
    ected.

100%[======================================>] 211,734,792 1.25M/s in 2m 52s

2011-04-05 02:08:41 (1.17 MB/s) - `downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.4.5.jar'
    saved [211734792/211734792]

--2011-04-05 02:08:43-- http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre2/p201r0d02172011/ver
    1z0np201rod/webosdoctorp102verizonwireless.jar
    Resolving palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)... 66.114.53.11, 66.114.53.2
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)|66.114.53.11|:80... conn
    ected.
    Length: 188386871 (180M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `downloads/webosdoctorp102verizonwireless-2.0.1.jar'

49% [==================> ] 93,927,384 1.23M/s eta 75s

the reason why it show 49% is because i copied it before i lose the log but it did say 99 at the end
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPre-1983 View Post
    INFO: Flash End time (Fail) 1301869166370
    from C:\cygwin\tmp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
    to C:\cygwin\tmp\palmInstallerError0.log
    java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process
    has locked a portion of the file
    at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils.saveLogs(RdxUtils.java:217)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.saveLogs(CardCont
    roller.java:162)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.handleFailCase(Ca
    rdController.java:676)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController.postFlashEvent(Ca
    rdController.java:836)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:581
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    from C:\cygwin\tmp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0
    to C:\cygwin\tmp\palmInstallerError1.log
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:28 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handl
    eFailCase
    INFO: something failed, query to see if device is plugged in
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:28 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController handl
    eFailCase
    INFO: exiting handleFailCase()
    err -1 "Base ROM Failed Verification"
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.VerifyRomStage.printStreamToProgr
    essReporter(VerifyRomStage.java:83)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.VerifyRomStage.printStreamToProgr
    essReporter(VerifyRomStage.java:69)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.VerifyRomStage.runCommand(VerifyR
    omStage.java:62)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.VerifyRomStage.run(VerifyRomStage
    .java:40)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:491
    )
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscove
    ryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got controller
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscove
    ryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread run
    INFO: got devices 1
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runne
    rFinished
    INFO: device runner done
    Apr 3, 2011 6:19:29 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController runne
    rFinished
    WARNING: flashing failed, move to failed card
    Just checking to see if I should be nervous about something - I just got this same error (Sprint Pre-) - I rebooted, it went through activation, device info says I'm on 2.1, and it's downloading my apps now. Just made a phone call, it's going to need the Govnah, but am I missing some crucial step after this point or am I done?

And Rod (and all) thanks for the amazing work - another donation on the way Friday
    Last edited by alacrify; 04/05/2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add dev info version displayed
  13.    #3493  
    I'm in Toronto, and agree wholeheartedly about Bell. I was really hoping HP/Palm would include AWS frequencies on new devices, but no such luck -- they'll only work with Bell, Rogers, or Telus. I'm not sure if I'm willing to go back to Rogers if I want a Pre3.

Anyways, I tried both cygwin and Ubuntu methods, but the cygwin method led to a phone that wouldn't boot. But in both cases, the process was identical. It sounds like you used git successfully (to get a "meta-doctor" folder), and then you created your "downloads" folder inside that.

Since you can't find the "build" folder, I'm wondering if you were in the right place when you started the script. You have to be in the "meta-doctor" folder, and then start the Bell script from there. The command is listed in the wiki (it's "./scripts/meta-bellmo-...") -- it's important to start the command with the period followed by the "scripts" folder.

The script should download three doctors into the "downloads" folder: webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.4.5.jar, webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar, and webosdoctorp102verizonwireless-2.0.1.jar. It will then expand them into three folders inside the "builds" folder: pre-p100eww-bellmo-1.4.5, preplus-p101ueu-wr-2.1.0, and pre2-p102eww-verizonwireless-2.0.1. Finally, a fourth folder will be created in "builds" to contain the final meta-doctor files: meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0.

When the whole script is finished (and this is where the new meta-doctor jar should automatically open up in Java), you should have a new file in "builds/meta-bellmo-pre-2.1.0": webosdoctorp101ueu-wr-2.1.0.jar. That's the jar file which will doctor your phone to 2.1.0.

(Apologies to the mods if I'm not supposed to be providing this kind of support here!)
    Instead of apologising, you should be reaping praise. This is exactly the kind of support that we expect those who are experienced with this process (but not the actual developers of the process) to be providing for those who are new to the process.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14.    #3494  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    For the record I have not done this conversion. I have kept up with the info here however. I think that losing cygwin would be a shame and asking that anyone using cygwin read the entire thread is silly. 177 pages of posts is not digestable.

If you want to help; collect the cygwin info together and provide good advice to newbies
    I think we just need the more experienced windows folks to diagnose the cygwin issues, and then update the wiki. No-one should be reading the thread for information - all information should be distilled into the wiki by those who received it. That is the obligation on someone who receives assistance here.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  15.    #3495  
    Connecting to palm.cdnetworks.net (palm.cdnetworks.net)|66.114.53.22|:80... connected.
    99% [=====================================> ] 211,734,6
    32 --.-K/s eta 0s
    Looks like either a problem on the palm servers, or a problem with your network between yourself and palm. Try downloading that file on another computer or at another place. Put it in the downloads folder with the correct name, and the scripts will not try and re-download it.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I think we just need the more experienced windows folks to diagnose the cygwin issues, and then update the wiki. No-one should be reading the thread for information - all information should be distilled into the wiki by those who received it. That is the obligation on someone who receives assistance here.

-- Rod
    Thanks - I like that approach much better than the "Read the entire thread" theme I was starting to see expoused.
    yes sir, i will try that.
    but one question, it may sound weird but that file
    Saving to: `downloads/webosdoctorp100ewwbellmo-1.4.5.jar' isn't that the file to doctor it back to 1.4.5 because i have tried and it only installed the 1.4.5

by the way when installing Cygwin it also ask to install a package do we click yes or no?
    because we don't know if it will add more then we need?

tks
    Last edited by flipmode007; 04/05/2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot to ask question

it **** me off when bell cant get the pre 2 as fast as rogers lol.
    On my first attempt it did show me the build folder and inside were 4 sub-folder, then i click on the bellmo - pre 2.1.0 and it didnt see the cell when connected

are u saying the bellmo file or the web101ueu will doctor the cell. and if it doesn't work I'm willing to send u my cell lol.
  19.    #3499  
    it **** me off when bell cant get the pre 2 as fast as rogers lol.
    On my first attempt it did show me the build folder and inside were 4 sub-folder, then i click on the bellmo - pre 2.1.0 and it didnt see the cell when connected

are u saying the bellmo file or the web101ueu will doctor the cell. and if it doesn't work I'm willing to send u my cell lol.
    It is clear that you are not following the instructions precisely. You are not instructed to access either of those two subdirectories in the instructions.

The script specifically tells you exactly which file is created and where it is located.

You need to take this more seriously, or alternatively contact webosworld.com to have them do it for you.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by alacrify View Post
    Just checking to see if I should be nervous about something - I just got this same error (Sprint Pre-) - I rebooted, it went through activation, device info says I'm on 2.1, and it's downloading my apps now. Just made a phone call, it's going to need the Govnah, but am I missing some crucial step after this point or am I done?

And Rod (and all) thanks for the amazing work - another donation on the way Friday
    Forget I asked - getting enough unreliability that I'm starting over in Ubuntu.