Page 164 of 217 FirstFirst ... 64114154159160161162163164165166167168169174214 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 4324
Like Tree19Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    I am worried that the new compcache setting on webos 2.1 could cause problems with my pre plus.

Ever since I first got the phone, it has write errors when transferring files to it via USB or wirelessly via FileZilla.

As for my previous issues, I did a secure full erase and then re-doctored to 1.4.5 and the problems are finally gone for now. This whole process was a real PITA. I will be staying at 1.4.5 until I am ready to get a new device. Such a shame because I really like the little time I had with webos 2.1
    Compcache doesn't use USB if that's what you are worried over. Compcache uses system memory. You could try going to Device Info / Quick Tests which will perform memory tests as part of that suite of tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Compcache doesn't use USB if that's what you are worried over. Compcache uses system memory. You could try going to Device Info / Quick Tests which will perform memory tests as part of that suite of tests.
    Thanks. My wi-fi came back with an error, but it has been functioning fine.

Yes, I had thought that compcache used USB, thank you for clearing that up.
    Thanks. My wi-fi came back with an error, but it has been functioning fine.

Yes, I had thought that compcache used USB, thank you for clearing that up.
    Just to be clear this does not mean that webOS doesn't use flash at all for swap space - it does but I'm not sure if 2.x uses more or less. Compcache is a method of compressing system RAM and making more fit in so that less swapping to USB occurs. The tradeoff being that compressed ram contents have to be decompressed (and compressed in the first place) which takes time. The idea is that the cost of compress/decompress is still less than the cost (in time) of read/write to local flash storage.
    I am worried that the new compcache setting on webos 2.1 could cause problems with my pre plus.

Ever since I first got the phone, it has write errors when transferring files to it via USB or wirelessly via FileZilla.
    Compcache has (almost) nothing to do with disk-writes. It's actually kind of the opposite; it's a way to help minimize them by using a portion of RAM to store (compressed) swap data that would otherwise normally be written to disk.

That said, what you are saying screams faulty hardware to me. It sounds like there's something wrong with the flash storage drive in your phone.

Curious: Have you made any changes to /etc/fstab?

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Compcache has (almost) nothing to do with disk-writes. It's actually kind of the opposite; it's a way to help minimize them by using a portion of RAM to store (compressed) swap data that would otherwise normally be written to disk.

That said, what you are saying screams faulty hardware to me. It sounds like there's something wrong with the flash storage drive in your phone.

Curious: Have you made any changes to /etc/fstab?

M.
    I absolutely think it is damaged flash storage. I dont know exactly how it works but I think some of the drive has been damaged.

I have not made any changes to fstab. I dont even know what that is. Not sure if its important, but this is a Pre Plus hacked to run on Sprint. Process was done by webOSWorld so I have faith that it was done correctly.
    Not sure if its important, but this is a Pre Plus hacked to run on Sprint. Process was done by webOSWorld so I have faith that it was done correctly.
    That bit is very important.

That tells me, no matter how careful they were, a tiny bit of static shock in the wrong place goes a LOOOOOOONG way. I could be wrong, but I've had a keyboard under my fingers since my Dad brought home a C=64 in early '82 (I was still just barely in single digits of age then) when they were brand new and have seen this sort of thing many times more than I'm able to sit and count.

I could very well be wrong, but...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    That bit is very important.

That tells me, no matter how careful they were, a tiny bit of static shock in the wrong place goes a LOOOOOOONG way. I could be wrong, but I've had a keyboard under my fingers since my Dad brought home a C=64 in early '82 (I was still just barely in single digits of age then) when they were brand new and have seen this sort of thing many times more than I'm able to sit and count.

I could very well be wrong, but...

M.
    You may be right, but I would have no way of knowing that. Either way, the phone functions great. It takes a little longer to copy files onto the USB partition, but everyday use is great.

I was only worried about the compcache on 2.1 as I thought it access this USB portion and could cause problems when those flash write failures happen while the compcache is doing its thing.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Another thing I've noticed. Selecting "Help" from the app menu doesn't work in most of the built-in applications in which I've tried it (Phone, Messaging, Just Type). I simply get the message: "Failed to load the requested page."

Any insights before I start digging?
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    I've managed to install all the goodies onto my Pre(minus) but I have one problem, when I go to view an email, the body text doesn't appear. It is present in the email list (the few words that show in the preview) but when I open the email, I get the message header (to/from/etc.) but not the actual email text. I've yet to see anyone with a similar problem, so I'm lost as to what it might be.
    I had SMS Tone per Contact installed before I Dr. up to 2.1.0, now when I get SMS messages I don't recieve a notification for them. Anyone else have this problem? No big deal just wondering....
    Quote Originally Posted by madgrizzle View Post
    I've managed to install all the goodies onto my Pre(minus) but I have one problem, when I go to view an email, the body text doesn't appear. It is present in the email list (the few words that show in the preview) but when I open the email, I get the message header (to/from/etc.) but not the actual email text. I've yet to see anyone with a similar problem, so I'm lost as to what it might be.
    Well, seems to have something to do with flash. Removed it from the Pre and it I've got text back in emails.
    Quote Originally Posted by madgrizzle View Post
    Well, seems to have something to do with flash. Removed it from the Pre and it I've got text back in emails.

I had the exact same experience and the exact same solution. I don't really care, though. It's not like it runs well enough to be of much use anyway.

M.
    is it possible to sidegrade from ATT 2.1.0 to ATT 2.1.0 wifi only?

im trying to do that right now but Doctor wont recognize my pre+ no matter what at the stage where doctor keeps charging batterty at 0%. Phone at the time is already showing the big usb icon in recovery mode

script im trying to use
    ./scripts/meta-att-preplus-2.1.0 --wifi-only
    Last edited by JanJan; 03/23/2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I had the email issue above and also had flash installed...ground to a halt even when viewiing non flash websites. I removed flash...and now the phone works as usual...
    Quote Originally Posted by setinhere View Post
    I had SMS Tone per Contact installed before I Dr. up to 2.1.0, now when I get SMS messages I don't recieve a notification for them. Anyone else have this problem? No big deal just wondering....
    You have to re-install your patches once you upgrade. I'm not sure if that patch is available or not for 2.1.x. You will have to open up Preware on your phone and then Installed Packages and then Patches to see what is installed on your phone. If you do not see anything resembling the patch you are talking about, then you will have to find that patch in Preware and re-install it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by JanJan View Post
    is it possible to sidegrade from ATT 2.1.0 to ATT 2.1.0 wifi only?

im trying to do that right now but Doctor wont recognize my pre+ no matter what at the stage where doctor keeps charging batterty at 0%. Phone at the time is already showing the big usb icon in recovery mode

script im trying to use
    ./scripts/meta-att-preplus-2.1.0 --wifi-only
    Are you doing it in Windows or Linux. I had this same problem with my verizon phones. I finally did it in Linux. I wasn't able to compile the meta-doctor in linux, but I ran the one I made in Windows just fine in Linux.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Just checking in... I 2.1'd my brother's sprint pre- and it was successful eventually. Then I 2.1'd my verizon pre+ will tell you about problems later...
    So - I used Win7pro to compile a sprint MD [meta-Doctor] and install it on my brother's old pre-. I now have it setup and have bypassed the profile login. It's great and was nice peace of mind to play with with no danger of losing anything. I will be looking to unload it soon since I don't have sprint. Then I did my two pluses in VZW.

The difficulty started when I was trying to get 2.1 on my plus where it would not get past the battery charging screen. Once that happens, I have to reboot before my phone [any phone] will be recognized. After about 5 tries it worked for no apparent reason. Then I tried it on my work plus. I could not get past it and grew tired of rebooting and failing. I finally tried it in Ubuntu 10.10 and I was unable to recompile the MD, but I went ahead and ran the MD I had made in Win' and it worked first try. I don't know why it didn't work in win' and I don't know why the MD wouldn't compile in Linux... but I have 2.1.0 on both my phones and I'm happy.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    e-gadget-guy, War Damn Eagle!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You have to re-install your patches once you upgrade. I'm not sure if that patch is available or not for 2.1.x. You will have to open up Preware on your phone and then Installed Packages and then Patches to see what is installed on your phone. If you do not see anything resembling the patch you are talking about, then you will have to find that patch in Preware and re-install it.
    Thanks for the hints....

I started having all kinds of problems with my phone after I posted the first time. It wouldn't ring when a call came in. Wouldn't let me dial out. couldn't connect to Wi-Fi, bluetooth refused to connect also. I just Dr. back down to 1.4.5... I try webOS 2.1.0 every couple of weeks to see if there are any improvements. That was the first time that I ever had problem like that. I still have my log file if anyone is interested in looking at it to see if I had a bad 2.1 file.

Thanks!
    I have had my phone lock-up after a phone call a couple of times with 2.1.0. I will persist for the moment, but am thinking about going back to 1.4.5